every evening my speed drops to around 0.5 Mbps

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
every evening my speed drops to around 0.5 Mbps. this has been going on for months, in the middle of the night when I am normally asleep (3am) I see speeds as high as 19Mbps so I know I dont have an equipment problem and VIASAT has the ability to provide me fast service if they want to. I have a 12 Mpbs Freedom 150GB priority data plan and never us it all. for example right now I am half way through my billing period, and have only used 30G, so I should be getting FULL speed. VIASAT, you need to provide me the service I am paying for and stop slowing me to unusable levels.  customer since 2013 viasat1 beam 329   
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Travis Horton

Travis Horton

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your being throttled. Most likely over whatever threshold you pay for. Heres me in the same boat
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
They don't want people on 150GB plans, so you get throttled even when you are not close to your 150GB. That is common knowledge now.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
SlowBill - your stats are my stats. It starts around 4p for me. You did get the letter this past spring that overruled any previous agreements on what the Freedom Plan service would be? Like Will Seemore said, they want us off of this plan so they make our internet world hell. Their recommendation on the letter was choose a different plan or leave and they will help show us the door. Beam 329 is always oversold so they try to find ways to adjust. What is really confusing is there is an unlimited plan offered on my account. If they want me off the Freedom Plan, why an unlimited?? 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
To charge you more and give you less priority data.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Beam 329 is Central Va, correct? They are running deceptive ads like crazy here, every commercial break in the evening has a Viasat ad on it on two channels. A lot of my neighbors and I have recently fled Viasat for Verizon & ATT. I have a feeling 329 isn't as congested as it used to be and they are pushing to get it back to being maxed out.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Will - yes, central VA. I have been with Viasat since 2012 and it was fantastic then. From about 2015 on is when the constant (non seasonal) degradation of the service started. We had the yoyo of good then bad then good. Now, it is just bad. I cannot recommend it to anyone because I don't want friends/neighbors blaming me for recommending the service. Unfortunately, not everyone in central VA has the option for ATT or Verizon.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
When Viasat moved to the "unlimited" plans that are not really unlimited, that is when I think the service really started to degrade.

No matter how many smoke and mirrors they want to throw at it, we are still talking about the same hardware tech that initially delivered 7.5GB, 15GB, and 25GB plans with a hard cap.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Verizon for me was great for 4 months, but when summer hit it is slow evenings and weekends, still better than Viasat by a wide margin. I am in an area with a low signal, but I think my issues are related to congestion as it used to work fine 24-7. Of course Verizon will not admit to congestion issues. I am 2.54 miles from a tower, flat but lots of trees.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
thank you everyone for the replies. yes, it was pretty obvious they are throttling me, I just could not hardly believe it was true, even on the first day of my billing cycle this happens.  beam 329 also reaches into northern NC where I am. if they sent me one of those dear "John letters", I did not see it, but my wife gets the mail most of the time.

my neighbor was having the same problem, they talked him into the silver25 plan (100G, up to 25Mbps, $150, VIASAT2)  I was there for his install, even helped get the network straighten out. he is now seeing seeing 17Mbps all day and night long. the catch is VIASAT LIED TO HIM! he is paying the $150 alright,  but he received a thanks for the business e-mail from VIASAT stating he is on a silver 12 plan, with 45G and speeds up to 12Mbps. (this plan does not show up on VIASAT's website for me, but the silver25 he thought he was getting does) He is getting good speeds though, just paying through the nose for it. 

I have not seen the VIASAT guy post on this thread yet telling me to e-mail them, maybe it's too soon, or maybe like you guys say, they really don't want me (even though they have happily taken my money for years. 
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Did your neighbor go directly through Viasat to initiate service or a contractor. Viasat does change pricing and offerings in the same area, but as deceptive as they are what they did to your neighbor seems even over the top for them.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
A little confusion here. I believe Viasat 2 requires different equipment than Viasat 1. Does the neighbor have the same equipment as you?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
At 12Mbps it shouldn't be Viasat-2.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
@Will Seemore, he spoke with a viasat representative (I was not there for the call, thats what he told me).
He already had the single arm dish, so the install only required swapping out the TRIA,  the MODEM for the new VIASAT WiFi Gateway and re-aiming the dish.
a storm rolled through the next day, and the new equipment and VIASAT2 seems to hang on much better through the weather, a subjective observation I admit, but the difference was pretty pronounced. VIASAT2 is at 166 degrees Azimuth true, and 47 degrees elevation so the path through the atmosphere should be shorter.
(Edited)
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
@ExSatUser, he is definitely on VIASAT2 now.
his plan is now stated to be silver12, but he is getting 17Mbps speeds pretty-much all day and night.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Wow, 17 Mbps constant, lucky SOB I usually averaged under 1 Mbps and the most I ever got when the stars aligned was 10 Mbps. Hope his luck holds. He must have one of the few sweat spots on beam 329.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
@Will Seemore, beam 329 on VIASAT1 is what he used to have, and what I still have with very poor speeds in the evening, presumably from throttling even when I am not close to having used my priority data.  my neighbor is now on VIASAT2, I do not recall the beam number (I think is was in the 700s) but his 17Mbps around the clock speeds are on VIASAT2 not Viasat1  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
Interesting. Offering 12Mbps plans on V-2. The initial projection on V-2 was 25Mbps nationwide, as noted on Viasat's official Twitter page several months ago.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
@spinninghorse, might you be able to post a copy of this letter VIASAT sent out, we are unable to find it if we even received it. I would be interested in reading it.
thanks, Bill
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
@spinninghorse, might you be able to post a copy of this letter VIASAT sent out, we are unable to find it if we even received it. I would be interested in reading it.
thanks, Bill
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3180 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
Here is a copy of the email I received Jan 29, 2019

From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers' service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy and the terms of service for your FREEDOM service plan and we want to explain what these mean to you.  

Network Management Policy

Bandwith Usage Policy

What do the updated policies mean for you?

• Your current service plan (FREEDOM) offers download speeds up to 12 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 12 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 12 Mbps.
  • The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.
  • Speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 12 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. Your service plan does not have a strict data allowance. When you use more than 150 GB in your monthly billing period, your service speeds will be slower than what you experienced when using less than 150 GB.

What are your options?

• Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.
  • Change your service plan: If you would like to switch to a new monthly service plan, you may do so at any time. We don’t charge any fees to switch your service plan and we will not require a new two-year minimum service term to change plans. Simply login to your account athttps://account.viasat.com and select the plan you wish to switch to. When you switch, your new plan may have different terms of service than the plan you are currently on. Please read the plan details closely before you make your choice. 

Sincerely, 

Viasat Internet 

Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
thanks Steve
interesting how what was once their top of the line plan has become their bottom of the barrel plan, and their long time customers are treated with little care.    
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
It is why a number of former Freedom plan users dropped Viasat.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
so, my wife found the e-mail from VIASAT on 1/17/2019, the section saying the speeds are going in the dump is the same, but the 2 options are quite different. they really want people off of VIASAT1 beam 329.

From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers' service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy and the terms of service for your FREEDOM service plan and we want to explain what these mean to you.  

Network Management Policy

Bandwith Usage Policy

What do the updated policies mean for you?

• Your current service plan (FREEDOM) offers download speeds up to 12 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 12 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 12 Mbps.
  • The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.
  • Speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 12 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. Your service plan does not have a strict data allowance. When you use more than 150 GB in your monthly billing period, your service speeds will be slower than what you experienced when using less than 150 GB.

What are your options?
  • Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.
  • Upgrade or change your service plan: Our new ViaSat-2 service plans offer unlimited data, best-in-class Wi-Fi, and download speeds that range from up to 12 Mbps to up to 100 Mbps, depending where you live.  Call us on our upgrade line at 844-715-4412 between 6am–9pm MST Monday - Friday or 7am-8pm MST Saturday - Sunday to find out what offer is available for you. If you choose to upgrade, it will require the installation of new equipment and a two-year minimum service term.

Sincerely,
Viasat Internet

(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
If they want people off beam 329 why do they advertise like mad in the I-95 corridor in Central Va?
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
maybe what they are advertising for is VIASAT2? I have never seen a map of VIASAT2's beams, but it is my understanding that is is a much more powerful satellite. also it is further East in the sky, so I would guess better coverage on the east coast.  
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I don't think that is an option. The antenna that blew on the satellite would have serviced most of VA - or so the rumor goes. 
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
The email I got (no snail mail letter) also included wording that said if I wanted to take my business elsewhere that was fine. Someone else posted the same this past spring. I noticed a slow down in Feb/mar timeframe and got the email Mar/Apr timeframe.
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
@spinninghorse  antenna blew?  tell me more. on VIASAT1 or VIASAT2? I have not heard that. 
My neighbor in Franklin county NC who just switched from VIASAT1 beam 329 to a VIASAT2 plan is paying a lot for a little and not what he was promised, but it is fast all day and night.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3180 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
Viasat2 had antenna problems when they were deployed. That was quite a while back.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
There was antenna deployment issues with Viasat-2. Officially Viasat said this impacted Viasat-2's overall capacity by 15% or so. They got a $185million dollar insurance settlement as a result.

So many of the anticipated high definition spot beams never materialized and the projected minimum 25Mbps nationwide speed never happened either.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1613 Posts
  • 939 Reply Likes
The high density spot beams were the difference maker for Viasat-2. Without as many of them, many customers were left in the dark. I was one of them. If I had one of them (Nathan is on one of these magic beams), I would still most likely be a Viasat customer. But I dont so I am not one anymore.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Can anybody explain the variation in the relationship between download and upload speeds? Whether with Viasat or Verizon I think the max upload speed was less than 2Mbps even when the down load was at 12Mbps. Just tested Verizon 1.4m down .35up. evening congestion.
Photo of Heath Miller

Heath Miller

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The unlimited sees the EXACT same slowdowns at the same times of the day. Unlimited means nothing. I'm on it right now. I'm not even a 30 day old customer and I deeply regret getting in with Viasat. :(
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 472 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
I made it a little longer than you. I was fairly happy for 8-10 weeks. I think it took Viasat about that long to flag me as a “heavy” user, even though my usage is only about average based on national statistics. Anyone who uses more than they data allotment each month is considered a “heavy” user by Viasat. They then slow to a crawl hoping you will buy more data each month.

I am lucky to get 0.5 Mbps many evenings. 0.2 isn’t all that uncommon. At least I can still send text emails for my $100 a month.
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 55 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
That is the reason I left 2 months ago was on freedom 150 a customer for 5 years.Got at and t fixed wireless 50mbps speed 60 a month 430 gb good luck to those who still stay with Viasat they are dishonest.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 292 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
To be clear, we do not stay because we are idiots.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Nobody offers fixed wireless where I am at which I think is strange. Unless I am wrong they are just boosting a cell tower signal.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 292 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
When you are rural key is to have a tower nearby. I am 10 miles west of Montpelier and the nearest tower is 8 - 10 miles away. Verizon cell service also sucks and has for years. I keep a full service landline because of this.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I am only 2.54 miles away from a tower as the crow flies, it is flat but wooded. If you see a Verizon or ATT service map I am on the edge. Maybe all towers aren't created equal and mine is a weak one. You can go 1/4 mile from my house and the signal meter on a phone gets pegged at 5, but at my house it varies from 0-3
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1449 Posts
  • 856 Reply Likes
AT&T fixed wireless is a different set of plans, and not available everywhere even where AT&T otherwise is.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
From AT&T's website (https://about.att.com/story/2018/fixed_wireless_rural_america.html): AT&T is using its Fixed Wireless Internet to meet much of this FCC commitment in parts of the following 18 states:  Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
You could be on a Legacy plan which has been changed to throttle in our busier times of the day. This was enacted back in February. For more information or to go over this more please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
In my area busier times of the day appear to be every hour I have ever checked or between 0500 and 2400.  I am not sure about the other 5 hours I occasionally sleep. I emailed viasatlistens@viasat.com  and from the answer I got back it is clear that while Viasat may listen they do not read. I would be glad to publish the email that I sent as well as the reply if you would like.

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 472 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
I would be ecstatic with 0.5. How about this and at close to 11 PM.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1612 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
Looks like you just need to upload!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 472 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Yes, the only thing that works well is uploading speedtest results to this forum.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1612 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
That is a good one!  You are in Virginia too right?  Obviously not on a magic beam like some others are.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 472 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Well past midnight and performance is so bad now that three speedtests in a row failed.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 472 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Almost 1 AM and still can’t get even DSL level performance.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am willing to bet that like my bill yours stayed at full price even when neither of us appear to have full service.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1612 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
Well you did get "up to".

But I understand what you are saying...
Photo of Heath Miller

Heath Miller

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm in Ohio. I get less than half a MB, and many of my speed tests fail also. It's not much better up here. I'm trying to get out of the cancelation contract, then I'm done with Viasat. Just as unethical and dishonest as Hughesnet was, maybe worse if that's possible.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Look at that upload speed I don't think I ever got past 2 Mbps ever on Viasat or Verizon. What I didn't realize before I was unteethered is how speeds need to be so much better now than in days gone by to have the same experience. To me 400 Kbps today works worse than 56k did 25 years ago on a lot of websites.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1544 Posts
  • 912 Reply Likes
My wireless is holding strong.  A speed test tonight was 5Mbps down and 8Mbps up.  Great?  No.  Better than satellite internet.  Yes. 

Low latency.  Zero streaming issues.  Truly unlimited with the plan I have.  Unfortunately, that plan is no longer available but the 30GB plan that was most recently available wouldn't be bad for some low usage users.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
At 11:25 EST my Verizon is 1Mbps down 261 Kbps up. I suppose since it is summer, evening congestion lasts pretty late , slow down starts at 5pm and usually starts letting up a midnight. Those speeds made it a pain to order groceries to go just now. No home delivery here but they will load your vehicle when you are waiting in the parking lot. Not  lazy or a snob I have a very badly sprained wrist and a bad case of the flu. I think they only charge an extra $3.95.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Even getting congestion now on evenings and weekends which I hope lets up when school starts the Verizon never drops, even in pouring rain that cause flooding, and thunderstorms. Awesome another Viasat commercial full of lies on the TV set, fast for all, unlimited data, free installation, use multiple devices at once. That coverage area on where that TV station broadcasts is the worst of beam 329. Wonder why the Viasat employees don't comment on the commercials?
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1544 Posts
  • 912 Reply Likes
They really cant say what they think of them either. I mean, it is their job to support and promote the company.

I do have issue with the commercial though too. It creates unrealistic expectations to a consumer who may not understand or realize satellite internet's limitations.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Free install when it is $150 is an outright lie.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1544 Posts
  • 912 Reply Likes
Of course they got so many disclaimers on that ad, they are covered. Still doesnt make it right.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Verizon speeds are now 4.4 Mbps up and 502 Kbps down, looks like those damn school kids off for the summer and the new subscribers finally went to sleep. That is 4x faster down than I got at 11:30 pm 4 hours ago. I would like to see the disclaimer that covers that $150. What does it say? Something like " Due to us consistently manipulating pricing and plans this commercial maybe 100% inaccurate in all areas it is broadcast too." Can some internet sleuth find the fine print on the Viasat ads?
Photo of Heath Miller

Heath Miller

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I got hit with the $150 install as well. The outright lies came from the sales person who sold me the service. I should have recorded the sales call.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 469 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
My installation (Liberty plan) was “free.” I would not have signed the two year contract with its onerous cancellation penalty if I had also to pay for installation upfront. Taking on the $360 obligation upfront was all of the “skin in the game” I was willing to provide.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 303 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Can some internet sleuth find the fine print on the Viasat ads?
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Viasat+ads

Doesn't take much sleuthing, Google is your friend. It says:

Free standard installation fee promotion available only to new Viasat Internet customers in limited areas who order service during the promotional period.
Viasat doesn't have the budget to tailor it's ads to every possible market.

You can even hit pause and view the other disclaimers!

(Edited)