Enough predictions! What do you WANT? (and will Viasat listen?)

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Hi all,

So there's speculation, excitement, concern, "change your plan" screen-cap trolling (thanks to some Photoshop wizardry), breathless parsing of every slide and comment coming out of the earnings call - and so forth - but there's no one post dedicated solely to the wishes of we, the active community (and anyone that reads and posts here I would call "active") - or, perhaps there is (or was) such a post and I missed it.

So here goes:

Reading the tea leaves, it sounds as if Viasat is going to roll out only unlimited plans with Viasat-2. Would that be what you want? Are you good with that?

There's not as much evidence concerning plans for Viasat-1, but perhaps, other than grandfathered plans, there might only be unlimited available there, as well - for new accounts and for changing plans.

What do we think? Are we OK with that? What would you want to see?

I'd like to see some combination of the following:

Budget plans

Lower speeds (10) - Lower usage allowance (12?) - with a Liberty option
Somewhat higher speeds (15 - 20) - Somewhat higher usage allowance (20) - with a Liberty option
Perhaps other variations of the above, with and without Liberty options

Streaming plans

Unlimited, with de-prioritization at 150 (VS-1) and 300 (VS-2), or even 500
Speeds in the 15-30 ballpark
Higher speed option in these packages in order to support 1080 (100 is overkill for that, IMHO - 30-50 is more than enough)
Streaming options at 480, 720 and 1080 - 4k not until VS3 (if satellite remains viable for residential at that time) - no more 320 option (other than grand-fathered plans on VS1)

Usage plans

Freedom - at 150 - with varying speed options - no "throttle" for streaming
Freedom - at 300 - with varying speed options - no "throttle" for streaming
Freedom - at 500 (?) - with varying speed options - no throttle

For myself, it will be really disappointing if there's nothing analogous to Freedom in the new plans. Our big concern is usage. We'd like to be able to stream a very modest amount (perhaps an hour or two a day), probably at 720p - but would like a more generous usage allowance, so we don't have to watch usage quite so carefully.

In my household, we are not fans of the unlimited plans, as we see little (or no) advantage relative to what we already have. "Unlimited" plans have a usage allowance, also - it's described differently by the marketing folk, but it's obviously there.

So what does everyone think? What do you want? Why not collect that in one post? Let's make sure Viasat knows what we want (how much they will consider our wants is another question altogether - but let's make sure they know what we think!)

Rique
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 215 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Right now I am on the best plan Viasat ever offered me, and that is the Freedom Plan. You would have to give me unlimted at 1080p for $75/month to give that up. Since I don't see that happening, I guess I will be on that until Viasat-3 at the earliest. Dilly dilly!
(Edited)
Photo of TQ

TQ

• 49 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
FYI. Viasat 3 is scheduled for launch March 30, 2020.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Now that the Falcon Heavy finally launched, maybe it will go on that
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
VS3 on a Falcon Heavy?  That would be awesome!  Now that would be what I would want. (I already have the plan I want, Freedom)
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Tesla faked the car in space. It's CGI.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
It is Beautiful!!  I've waited for something like this for almost 50 years.  Nasa wouldn't/couldn't do anything like this or a Falcon Heavy.

SpaceX billionaire Musk shared a final photo on Wednesday of the Tesla Roadster which he launched into space on Tuesday. With a mannequin named 'Starman' inside of the car, Musk's photo showed the roadster in an elliptical orbit around the sun with a increasingly distant crescent Earth in the background

SpaceX billionaire Musk shared a final photo on Wednesday of the Tesla Roadster which he launched into space on Tuesday With a mannequin named Starman inside of the car Musks photo showed the roadster in an elliptical orbit around the sun with a increasingly distant crescent Earth in the background

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Photos posted before the launch showed the sports car outfitted with camera mounts at the front and driver’s side, allowing for uninterrupted views of the Roadster and its inanimate passenger when seen from the right angle. There is also a camera positioned behind Starman's head. All are circled in red in the image above

Photos posted before the launch showed the sports car outfitted with camera mounts at the front and drivers side allowing for uninterrupted views of the Roadster and its inanimate passenger when seen from the right angle There is also a camera positioned behind Starmans head All are circled in red in the image above
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 641 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Wouldn't the tires blow unless they were pumped down to  vacuum before it was launched?  And, why not put two sats up at the same time?  It should have plenty of lift for that!
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
The same reason the Space Shuttle tires never blew up in space.  The pressure difference between ground level on Earth and outer space is only 14.7 psi 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
"And, why not put two sats up at the same time?  It should have plenty of lift for that!"

It does but who in their right mind would spend, what, half a billion dollars and put satellites on a test flight?  Test flights normally have a block of concrete to simulate the load. 
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
They faked it. Otherwise you would have seen all sorts of damage to that car due to extreme temperatures in space.

I'm not complaining though. I have stock in Tesla. Shares were up 4% that day.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
It will be damaged sooner than later.

"Eventually, the Roadster would likely be reduced to just its well-secured inorganic parts: the aluminum frame, internal metals and any glass parts that don't shatter under meteor impacts." 

"Richard Sachleben, a retired chemist and member of the American Chemical Society's panel of experts, largely agreed with Carroll's assessment in an email to Live Science — though he did suggest it would likely still be somewhat recognizable, at least after a million years."     https://www.livescience.com/61680-will-spacex-roadster-survive-in-space.html

I really hope you are joking about it being faked.  People believing in conspiracy crap is getting tiresome and seems to be "the thing to do".  It's sad to see people who live their lives thinking achievements such as this and moon landings couldn't be done because they just can't understand it.  Sad.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
I didn't mean to get so worked up but this is one of the things that push my "button".
This accomplishment that Spacex did is probably one of the most followed and documented events in recent history.  The moon landing WAS the most documented event in human history.  For a "fake" to have been accomplished would mean tens of thousands ( maybe hundreds of thousands) of people were participating in it.  We couldn't keep our Nuclear secrets from being stolen and given to the Russians, they couldn't keep a little affair by a past president secret but they can keep major events that are followed worldwide and heavily documented a secret.  Really? 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Tesla was up 4% that day and I had apple king cake this morning. That's all that matters to me.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2019 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
It was pretty neat.  And nineteen years from now it will make it will be back this way.  It would be fun to see what it looks like at that point.    
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 88 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
this result
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Those speeds are normal during primetime if you are on the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'd like to see:
A solid 25Mbps with a minimum 350GB data plan for the cheapest data plan.
when they throttle us back, no less than 8-10Mbps. 
Keep the "Free Zone" so at least you can get major downloads done after Throttling.
As for pricing, the cheaper the better. 
I'd like to see a loyalty discount starting at lets say 2 years forward. A certain percentage discount for every year to a certain cap. 
I'd like to see an equipment trade in rebate so at least we can have the option to keep our systems updated. 

I believe ViaSat has the Satellites and the power to do this. They are making a KILLING off the Gov't usage and it's time Humans make internet affordable and not a data rape business. And seriously folks. 350 Plus GB in today's world of social media and streaming is nothing. I have friends that can use that up in a few days of research and movies. Just one game on my PS4 just popped up with a 25GB update. So now I'm searching to use some friend's real internet to do my major updating.