Email concerning the policy change 150 gig plan

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I can not find the post(s) of a copy of the 'policy change' for the 150 gig Freedom plans.

It only affected subscribers on the Freedom plan who subscribed prior to a certain date.
After that date they are unaffected.

It is the cut off date I am looking for.
Anyone?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
If there was any Freedom users excluded, that is news to me.

I am under the impression anybody who got 150GB of priority data (either through Freedom or an "unlimited" plan) was impacted.

I am sure this will neither be confirmed or denied by Viasat, but I think it is a safe assumption they don't want any user with that much priority data (even though several months ago it was touted to people).
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
It was all Freedom Plan subscribers with no cutoff date. Freedom was only offered on Viasat-1. Freedom hasn't been offered in a while. Bandwidth Usage Policy for Freedom has no date other than the document's revision date:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/bandwidth-usage-policy.pdf

For Unlimited Plans, it was Unlimited Plans acquired prior to February 13, 2018 - all of those just happened to be 150 GB offered on Viasat-1 (Viasat-2 hadn't gone live yet). Unlimited Data Policy identifies the plans and date in question:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

Unlimited Platinum still gets 150Gb.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Makes sense. You move to Viasat-2, pay us over $200/month, we will give 150GB of priority data.

Honestly, if they just raised prices on "Unlimited Classic" plans I think people would have been less upset versus changing how the plan works.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
True, long ago and far away I would have been much happier with a higher price on a half gallon of ice cream rather than paying the same for 1.5 quarts in a package that looks like a half gallon but the bottom appears a little higher and they no longer fill it to the top - least they could have done is added more air ;)
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 374 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Engineer a work around or change your plan, this company is managed by unethical persons lacking integrity who do not honor their commitments.

But if you do change your plan how long before they send another letter doing the same thing. They have shown their lack of commitment to their customers, and instead of sucking it up and doing the right thing they opted to screw over customers, regardless of longevity, loyalty to this company.

Forewarned is forarmmed, blatentally screw me once you won’t get the second opportunity.

Too bad I carried the banner for this company.

Live and learn.

They aren’t even honoring the median ploy.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
What would the right thing have been in this case? Not defending them or carrying their banner, just trying to identify actions that would have been acceptable to the "majority" of subscribers. They oversold anticipating a shift in usage to Viasat-2 way before the chickens hatched  - what's the solution? Randomly start terminating subscribers? Take an action that impacts the fewest number of subscribers? That's all I'm asking. I'm trying to come up with an alternative and trying to be objective despite not being impacted by this change.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Raise prices. People accept it, cancel, or change plans.

People might pay for 150GB of priority data.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Agreed actually. Raise prices and let the market take its toll. As I recall you got a bargain ;)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

My 2 year price guarantee is up.  I would have accepted a 50% increase in price and thought nothing of it, double and I would have said... that's life and still paid it.  

johnny c is right, "They aren’t even honoring the median ploy.."

So I considered the annual cost of this crap service and decided a $2,000 investment for radios to get better service was worth it.  With a radio strapped to couple fencing T-stakes looking at it's mate on Loma Prieta mountain above San Jose, a simple point-to-point performance test was conducted by the nice people at Cruzio Internet of Santa Cruz (their fiber is there). The test was a total success.  Note all, when Ubiquity Networks  says their equipment has only a fraction of a millisecond of latency, they mean it.  The test results are HERE.

I almost forgot.. the price?  $76.00 a month, no data caps whatsoever.  My radios, so no equipment fees either.

https://www.ui.com/airfiber/airfiber5/
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
That's great!
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 374 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
The correct thing to do is manage your resources We are not back in the 60’s when everything was ibatch processing. We pride ourselves that we have real time decision advising even making software. Obviously you use this software in conjunction with seasoned professionals experienced in the appropriate field and make appropriate decisions.

Viasat obviously screwed the pooch, why ok V2 issues , but they knew they had antenna issues and still kept selling subscriptions, again real time systems monitoring resources vs capability if they had integrity and competence they would have shut down subscriptions., but they didn’t , somebody with integrity has to be in charge, obviously, either gross mismanagement. and/ or a lack of integrity to keep signing people up.

To descriminate amongst their customers and select certain plans and slow them down to where it is just about impossible to do the things that the plan was suppose to provide while certainly not arbitrary and definitely discriminatory was totally wrong and displays the inner thinking and management style if the biggest bang for the buck, Not ok F’d up so how do we fix this without discriminating.

It’s easy to target one sector of customers, not fair but really cares. Viasat should, but without ethics or integrity it’s quick fix, not a fair fix but they hold all the cards and if you don’t possess the moral compass to do the right thing then you don’t care about the contracts or the customers

What could they have done:

STOPPED signing up new customers, Reduced everyone’s speed or data by 10 or 15 %, but that would of required them to MANAAGE their resources more closely and they have already shown an inability in that area.

They targeted certain customers and put the weight on them to pay for their (Viasat ‘s) incompetence.

Remember just because you can doesn’t make it right.

But it does show a lack of ethics and integrity.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
The introduction of those plans is what led to this to begin with back in 2017.

There were alot of oohs and aahs when they were intro'd. Now there's lots of running an screaming - and then the raptors got loose.

My question back then was after years of being told there was insufficient capacity to offer Freedom to everyone where did that capacity suddenly come from to start offering 150GB and unlimited plans?

I'm not trying to antagonize you, johnnyc and am not debating the ethics/integrity - now that the pooch has been screwed what's the course of action to make it right. Do we just euthanize him or maybe seek behavioral rehab?  What's going to make you happy right now? Not what they could have done.

Restore everything to the way it was before January 15? Then simply raise prices and let supply and demand take its toll?

Or if the "majority" of users are now seeing better results does it justify what they did?

Regardless, Viasat's got some 'splaining to do for some of its subscriber base beyond the official response if they want it to go away.

I'm really just curious as to what those who are those most vocal see as Viasat's way out of the mess (we all know what our own exit strategies can be).
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
I agree they gave away too much priority data. I questioned that too. Would have been better to start out with less and then you could give more. But then, people wouldn't give up 150GB Freedom plans for less priority data. And I think they wanted that to get more people on the video resolution downgrader.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 374 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
I don’t really care what they do my comments are concerning the lack of integrity and management Viasat execs have displayed and again since they control your modem they control your internet. What do they say, a leopard doesn’t change its spots.

Personally I’m not going to have to deal with them much longer. In about two months or so I’ll be on Rural band FIOS.

Remember this company only exists in the residential market because they are the only choice, Hughes net maybe a dsl.

That is their ace the hole, and because of this they have little to no competition and it reflects in their management style. If there were competition they would provide a more equitable solution.

Their attitude is iif you want to walk, good bye and good luck.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@vet I woke up at 3 and ate a 79 cent walmart pizza for breakfast lol breakfast of champions and a couple fig neutons, storms ?  it was snowing around 9 pm all i seen here im glad thats all we got , just hopped on youtube and watching some nasa videos atm hoping it warms up soon , supposed to be in the high 60s next week , cant wait for spring , gotta buy a huge bug zapper though soon 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

How to Download All Images on a Web Page at Once
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thank you im reading it now 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

That Chrome extension is without data gathering by someone...it appears to be the same program that you mentioned...but this one cited in article is open source.

Do note, "This extension can't always extract the full-resolution images that open when you click a photo (e.g. in Facebook albums). That's because the page doesn't directly link to the image, but uses a script.

If you need that kind of functionality, there are other extensions that can be useful like Hover Zoom, even if you can't mass download images with it."

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen...Hover Zoom is spyware....I removed it, but if put on a browser seldom used...might work.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 325 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Oneweb will be up with 450 sats working before VS-3 is even launched.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Not sure about that. That would be in less than 2 years.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
As with MANY here once they have any type of competition Viasat loses out. Only think keeping them in biz is those that have no other options (which is changing fast) and those that are mislead into thinking this type of internet is better then their dsl cause they are promising real fast speeds. I have been seeing banners all around here on back roads saying they are promising 100mbps speeds OH and the up to part can not be read unless you get out of your car and walk up to the sign 

(Edited)
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 277 Posts
  • 324 Reply Likes
I was on the Freedom 150 GB 12 Mbps plan since it became available in my area. It worked great, never had speeds slower than 8 Mbps, even during the evening hours. There are three people in our house, but we never used more than 90 GB in a month.

After receiving that email on policy change, it confirmed to me that something had changed. In the week before receiving that email, our speeds had dropped to less than 3 Mbps, and during the evenings, down below 1 Mbps, even though we had used less than 20 GB of out 150. After talking about our choices with my husband, we decided to switch our plan to the Liberty 50 GB 12 Mbps being offered, price was the same, and immediately after the change on line, speeds jumped to between 8 Mbps to 19 Mbps, depending on the time of day. We are very happy with the Liberty plan, and realize that if we slip into he Pass mode, that our speeds will be slower. 

I am not on the bandwagon of complaining and making a big deal out of the plan changes. I believe that Viasat is making a good faith effort to satisfy most of it's customers. Not everyone will agree, but those plans with 150 GB were really out of line with what the capacity of VS1 could handle.

That is my opinion, you are entitled to yours. Life isn't always all rosy and sometimes we have to face new challenges.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Welcome back to you too, Christine - it's looking like old home week. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.