EasyCare decision

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
I am nearing the end of my 3 months of free EasyCare and considering whether to keep or cancel. I read the service agreement again and it clearly states that leased equipment will be replaced at no equipment cost, but it appears that the service charge will be billed even for broken equipment. That is pretty annoying. My prior service providers never charged for work if their equipment was defective.

How often have you had issues with your Viasat equipment? I would expect this stuff to be pretty reliable by now, but I know things can and do fail. Although, I never had a DSL modem fail in over 20 years of using them. They were replaced for obsolescence reasons before any of them failed. I used a couple of them for 6+ years without issue.

So, how many of you thing EasyCare is a good value? How many think it is a waste of money?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Leo George Jr

Leo George Jr

• 44 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I dropped it when they charged me to move my dish due to a new roof being installed on my house. Rip off!
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2357 Posts
  • 459 Reply Likes
Hello Leo,   I'm sorry you feel that way. Yes, there is a fee of $95.00.  It is normally 
$200.00 to relocate equipment.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2357 Posts
  • 459 Reply Likes
 Voyager, Here is what the EasyCare agreement

says regarding equipment.  
"B. Service Calls. If you experience difficulty with your Equipment that Viasat, in its sole discretion, determines requires a service call to resolve, Viasat will waive Viasat’s standard service call charge."
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
IMHO it is a waste of money. You will pay more for it than you will have service calls.

I have had the service since 2012. Never had a service call. You do the math.
Photo of Joel McKown

Joel McKown

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It paid for one service call to replace my modem once they finaly decided that my modem was bad but since then all is working fine now so I’m thinking about canceling as well, pay for it monthly and in one year your paying for a $95 service call anyway so why not just pay the $95 when needed. I’m gona cancel, it worked once and that’s good enough for me.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 160 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Wait until you need a service call.
Only then is the best time to begin paying for EasyCare.

Will probably be several years before you need any onsite service.
Photo of Kenneth Lowe

Kenneth Lowe

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's a waste of money, after your 2 year contract is up then they raise the cost of service $10 a month for leasing their equipment so why would one have to pay them to fix their equipment. This is the way things are when you live in the country and don't have choices. No competition make for a monopoly. I'm going to cancel my EasyCare service.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I was with Exede/Viasat for 2 years and I had great speeds and never once needed a service call, so when they announced it would be going up and my bill would reflect that soon, I cancelled EasyCare.
I did feel like the money I'd already spent was wasted, after the fact. If you've had no complaints in the past then it's a safe gamble you'll be okay, because the odds are in your favor so far.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
With SB2 modem & TRIA since 2012, zero issues. I have no idea what track records are for SB2+ modem, or the WiFi Gateway modem and its TRIA.

Generally, equipment that fails happens within first year.  And generally, service contracts are a gimmick to extract more funds from consumers. 

If I had a WiFi Gateway modem/TRIA, I might consider a contract for one year.

Note - I have whole house surge protection, sat equipment is grounded correctly, and ground rod is 8' into earth
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 35 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
In four years of service, the only service call I've needed was when I mistook the dish's coax cable for disused TV wiring and chopped off the dish's service loop because it was in my way.

Before I realized what the issue was, I called in a "no service" problem to Viasat. The Viasat rep actually offered to sign me up for EasyCare so that the service call would be covered, but told me I'd have to keep EasyCare for some period of time (3 mos? 6 mos? Can't recall).

So maybe you could forego EasyCare and hope they offered you the same deal if you have a problem down the road.

On the other hand, I've had great luck with service plans/extended warranties. They don't all pay off but when they do, the money saved on repairs has paid for all my service plans several times over.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
I complain about my bill constantly, but never gave Easy Care a thought before reading this.  Years ago I was calling customer service constantly about slow speeds and unusable internet during peak hours, back before they admitted the congestion issue.

Every month sometimes twice a month I would jump through the hoops over the phone hard wiring to my PC, unplugging the modem, the regular B.S. and when it was still slow as poop ... "We'll send a technician out" because obviously, the problem was on MY end.

They adjusted my dish, changed the mounting, and the mount, my modem, ran all new wire, most just shrugged and said "no problem found," then the very last tech that came out simply sat at my kitchen table drinking coffee and EXPLAINED the whole "congestion" issue.  Its been around 3 years, and Ive NEVER had a tech here since, and my speed is still poop.

My point is, during all these calls they started charging for service calls.  The phone was ON FIRE when I got that first bill with 2 service calls at $95 each!  That is when I signed up for Easy Care, and have been paying for it, and never used it since.

THANKS ALL!  I will be dropping it before my next billing cycle!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 797 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
Easy care wasn't too bad of a deal when it was only $5.99. When it went up by $3 a month is when I cancelled. Shouldn't have to pay for a service call anyway when I'm already paying a $10 per month lease fee.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I mean they don't offer the service to lose money on it! There could be a few that get value out of it, the rest just waste hundreds of dollars on this.

Do you buy insurance on your phone? Do you buy an extended warranty on your car? Do you buy extended warranties on electronics? Many people do not. And if not, dont waste your money on "Easy Care".
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1740 Posts
  • 1087 Reply Likes
I don't get it with mine, either.  It's not really worth it, as the equipment doesn't tend to go bad very often, or at least not in my experience.  In my 14+ years the only thing I've had go bad was a radio around 2007.  They replaced it for free, anyway (HughesNet, not ViaSat).  
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 797 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
The only time I pay for an extended warranty is if I'm buying an appliance such as a refrigerator or washing machine from Lowes or Home Depot. I've learned from past experience that new appliances these days are not built to last like they used to be.
Photo of Leo George Jr

Leo George Jr

• 44 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Do you lease you phone? Do you lease your car? Do you lease your electronics? If you are paying to rent or lease, then the issues with the equipment should be paid by the one collecting the rent Mr. Chumpion!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Okay? I think we are saying the same thing.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1734 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
Leo George Jr,

Was the immature comment necessary?    
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I no longer have satellite internet so it would be silly for me to pay for EasyCare.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I am sure Viasat would still take your money though :)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Sadly I am on a VERY tight budget and buy a lot from WalMart.  I buy the extended warranty on electronics because its cheap, I know WalMart products lack quality, and we have found, especially with one POPULAR top name electronics brand, BUYER BEWARE! they do not honor a factory warranty on items purchased at WalMart!  Some sort of "deal" they worked with WalMart to lower the cost.

Regardless, an extended warranty is a completely different story.  Its a ONE TIME payment and you know the cost up front, not "subject to change at their discretion,"  and it is on a purchase, not a service or equipment lease.

I am utterly disgusted with the cost and quality of products purchased anywhere today.  our 60" flat screen TV  lasted 11 months.  Parts were discontinued, they dont fix them, so WalMart simply refunded our money.   Our new well pump (NOT from WalMart) had a 90 day factory warranty, the  pump lasted 110 days.  I got a brand new pump.

SOMETIMES an extended warranty is a scam, while other times it can save your butt, its a gamble.  What Viasat offers is NOT an extended warranty, it doesnt cover a "purchase" and it doesnt even cover "the equipment," it covers THEIR cost for someone to come out and repair or replace THEIR equipment.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Things like Easy Care, extended car warranties, home warranties, etc,etc are only sold due to the fact they earn huge profits for the sellers. They aren't like insurance policies that can provide huge coverage amounts for a small percentage of the potential coverage. Also doesn't the Easy Care fine print only cover one free service call a year? It is amazing how VIASAT tries to suck more money out of unhappy customers. People complain about poor service and they sell them a more expensive plain that works no better.