Earnings call

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Subscriber growth remains stagnant at around 586,000 subs as they increased revenues by 7% as they got more of you to buy more expensive plans. They dont really talk about the American market though, instead talking up Mexico and initiatives in other countries.

$188 million in Viasat-2 insurance claim. That would have been an interesting presentation how they justified that. If they got that, how much did they ask for? Anyhow, good for them to get an insurance company to pay.

http://investors.viasat.com/news-rele...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 440 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I thought the original claim was closer to $350.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1218 Posts
  • 755 Reply Likes
I tried to edit and then the site went haywire. Speculation was Viasat wanted $300 to $350 million. What Viasat asked for we will never know. The fact they got almost $200 million for a still working satellite by proving lost revenue due to it's issues, that is pretty good.

Typically space insurance is ultimately backed by Lloyd's of London because they will insure anything. They are the insurance companies insurance company.

A company I worked for invested heavily in insurance companies, including one that insured Morton Thiokol. Yea, that didn't go so well! Like insuring Chernobyl!
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
The size of the insurance claim tells me that the malfunction involving Viasat 2 is worse than the company is letting on. Probably explains why most of the country never got better plans offered.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Yep.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1218 Posts
  • 755 Reply Likes
Well that would be the lost revenue estimate. They promised 25Mbps nationwide. That never happened. So I would say lot of loss in customer upgrades there.
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
"Better plans," is unfortunately a text book example of sleight of hand or bait and switch marketing.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2095 Posts
  • 1266 Reply Likes
Or the better plans never materializing due to the aforementioned reason.  Better plans is exactly what it means:  better plans. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1218 Posts
  • 755 Reply Likes
Viasat is still trying to makeup for the lost revenue too. I mean at my location for north of $200 I can get up to 12Mbps and 65Gb of priority data. That is pretty steep for what you get.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2095 Posts
  • 1266 Reply Likes
Same plan that's available to me.  It's VERY steep, even for satellite internet, and especially for what you get for that $200.

Edit:  I've got to wake up.  You already said that last part.  LOL.  
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2096 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
I feel like a dope.  I just realized who you are.  The "SatUser" part should have tipped me off.  LOL.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
Hughesnet and Viasat for over 20 years. I dont miss either one.