Downloads Keep Stopping During LNFZ

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Been having a problem for the past 3 or 4 weeks where downloads drop to 0 mb/s, then I lose internet completely  for up to 30 minutes during the "Late Night Free Zone". It happens regardless the website I'm downloading from, so I know it's not on their end. My Exede modem will register as being connected, and the bottom 3 blue lights will flash like there's activity. Went to the wild Blue & Exede forums, and read older posts indicating this occurs when the modem's updating, but it's happening fairly frequently. 

I don't use a router & my modem's plugged directly into my computer via Ethernet cable. When it occurs, I get the standard "Could not resolve DNS" page via Fire Fox, Google Chrome & IE, so it's not an issue with the browser I'm using.

It also happens occasionally during the day, but only temporarily for a few minutes at a time. We've had our signal strength checked, our dish alignment checked, cables, modem, etc. by techs a couple of times, and it all checks out good, so that's been ruled out as a factor.

It wouldn't be such an issue if it wasn't occurring so frequently and in the middle of large file downloads, resulting in me having to re-initiate the download & continuously monitor the progress. Anybody know a fix for this problem or having similar issues recently?
Photo of Lisa Weaver

Lisa Weaver

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Annoyed

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
Windows 10? Yeah it does that to me too but, it's Windows, not Viasat or the servers (with a couple of game servers being the exception that I've found - NCSoft and Origin are both horrid. Origin is terribly slow and NCSoft won't let me download updates at all due to high latency.)

It happens when you run a registry cleaner or, changes are made to network protocols. Not hard to fix though you just need to rest WINSOCK and reboot. Here's how -
http://www.home-network-help.com/netsh-winsock.html

When it happens you will see either DNS resolution errors or, One or more Network protocols are missing on this computer when you diagnose connection problems.

Annoying but, until Microsoft decides to listen to the forums over there and fix the issue, it's the best we can do.
(Edited)
Photo of Lisa Weaver

Lisa Weaver

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Bev,
Thanks for the response.  I'm on Windows 8.1, with updates for all software, operating system & security suite set to manual. So that wouldn't be the cause. It's even happening when using my Windows 7 system, regardless the site / server I'm downloading from. When I spoke to Exede customer support, they stated that it does appear to be occurring on their end, but that's all the information they were able to provide me.

Some answers I've received on different tech sites is it may be related to congestion since so many people are using the LNFZ at the time it occurs (between 12 AM - 2:30 AM).  Reading comments from Exede customers on multiple forums, this appears to be an increasingly common problem many customers are having across the spectrum of of data plans. 

I'm primarily wondering if anyone has found a "temporary" fix that might at least make it occur less often. Having to restart a large file download (often multiple gigs worth) when it's half finished has become a frequent issue. 
(Edited)
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I would highly suggest purchasing a program called Internet Download Manager. It has resume capability for interrupted downloads and has saves the day many times for me when using Exede. It's not extensive and has a free trial. I don't have the link handy right this moment, but will post it later once I get to the office.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1250 Reply Likes
I can understand your frustration. I don't have even a workaround for that one but, it might be an equipment problem.

If you do not already have it, I suggest signing up for Easy, 5.00 per month sure beats having to pay the cost of a service callout all at once and, Easy care does have a couple of other perks too. It wouldn't hurt the have a technician come check the modem, alignment and, overall install. Barring weather or gateway maintenance you should not be loosing service that often.
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1539 Posts
  • 878 Reply Likes
How about using a download manager so you can resume your downloads?
Sometimes IE will resume but Firefox won't.