Download speed drops during midnight-5 am free download zone

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
I'm supposed to get 12 Mbps download, which I get all day. After midnight, during the free download zone, my d/l speed drops to 3-6 Mbps. Why?
Photo of Cloverdavid

Cloverdavid

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
Because the free zone periods are being heavily utilized by those who automatically schedule large downloads or those who manually perform large downloads. On my beam with LNFZ, higher speeds typically don't return until 2:00 AM or later and I frequently notice a similar drop in speed once the EBFZ kicks in at 3:00 AM.         
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
What's this Early Bird Free Zone?

I thought the only thing the early bird got was the worm.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3264 Posts
  • 2104 Reply Likes
If you have an Exede Classic, Evolution or Essential plan, then you get a hall pass for unmetered internet use for five hours daily. Classic plan customers get the Free Zone from midnight to 5 am. Exede Evolution and Essential plan users get it from 3 a.m. to 8 a.m.
*Note: Plans not available in all areas.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
EBFZ is available on Essential 10 and Evolution - 3:00 AM - 8:00 AM, if you can find them still offered on your beam - appears they are being replaced with Libert Plan model (but they're grandfathered for existing subscribers until they switch off of them).   
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Schedule a download? I would like to know how to do that. Does it involve software?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
Yes, software involved (and in one case hardware).

Most browsers have add-ons to schedule downloads (e.g. Firefox has one called Download Scheduler) - search for available add-ons for your browser.

Others are standalone applications  - Internet Download Manager comes to mind.

Others like Aterlo's Night Shift and PlayOn are geared towards schedule video downloads. In the case of Aterlo, it effectively turn's a supported router into a video recorder for Netflix (hence the hardware requirement).

P.S. Note that the latter two aren't free.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. I do use Firefox and I am on limited Internet with Excede. Was concerned about downloading Windows 10 and was wondering if I could do a scheduled download for it and any of its updates.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
No schedulers that I'm aware of that handle the Windows 10 upgrade (or any Windows updates for that matter although there may be some third party tools capable of handling it).

Best bet may be to try the upgrade tool during free zone (or a trip to the library in my case) and create a USB, DVD or ISO installation:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then of course once upgraded, guard against all the ways Windows 10 can eat your data and drink your milk shake: 

http://merabheja.com/internet-data-usage-in-windows-10/
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Or........stay with Windows 7. ;-)
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Everything I've been told by Windows 10 savvy users is that W10 sucks bandwidth.

I'm staying with 7 until the bitter end and then I'll probably switch to Linux which I already run on my old laptop and like.
Photo of Theresa Melton

Theresa Melton

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am as well, my Excede has been $266.00 + for last 3 months....had this service for 5 years and never went over usage now i AM OUT IN LESS THAN 10 DAYS for last 3 months.. Excede take advantage of country folks who have NO CHOICE. I have called and they tell me I am using more than used to which is not true, they are sucking our usage for some strange reason last 3 months I know, I am 70 years old and know I do same things everyday and night.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
Chances are if you're running Windows 7 (or 8.x) you've taken a hit from Microsoft aggressively pushing out the Windows 10 upgrade unless you took specific actions to prevent it - a lot of that being reported and it applies even if you haven't installed it. It's been downloading in the background over the past several months in anticipation of you relenting and installing it.

At the same time, there are other features increasingly being adopted by web designers which will tear through your data without your knowledge. It's no longer a simple matter of what you're doing, but more importantly what's being done on your behalf and without your knowledge.

Some suggestions can be made to ease the pain, but really require knowing what operating system and version, browser and any add-ons, brand and model of router you might be using.

For those on limited plans that don't have the time, patience, desire, know-how, etc. to tackle all of the data conservation techniques, a better option may be to simply switch to one of the Liberty Plans if available in your area.         
(Edited)
Photo of Theresa Melton

Theresa Melton

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
no relenting here for Windows 10...those of us living in the country cannot take the drain on our usage which I understand Windows 10 does to our internet service.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
Then at the very least ensure that you've uninstalled KB3035583 from Windows Update.

After uninstalling it ensure that you've hidden it, while also ensuring that your Windows Update setting is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

This will yield notifications before any Windows updates are both downloaded and installed, allowing you to selectively download and install. In the future, ensure that KB3035583 doesn't magically reappear because you'll find Microsoft is more relentless than any of us.   

Photo of Keith Freitas

Keith Freitas

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
TM, 

I think your on to something !  There is "no way" for any plane Jane customer to know if the internet provider is actually providing the GB's in your service or not ... It's almost like you have to take it on faith ?

So my suggestion is to hire an independent third party to monitor your service loads for 30 days and get a geek to tell you if exede is actually providing the service or not 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
Exactly Keith,

Simply install one of the more robust free traffic monitoring applications. Networx and GlassWire come to mind for Windows users. Then find a geek to interpret the results - most of us work for peanuts, pizza, beer and various forms of caffeine or other stimulants - for friends, neighbors, relatives, etc.       
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I found the windows updates and KB3035583. It has not be installed yet. What does this update do?
(Edited)

• 3267 Posts
  • 2105 Reply Likes
@Keith, there are many free third party data monitors available that will monitor your internet data usage. Another option is to use a wireless router with built in traffic monitoring. There are many available at quite reasonable prices. I use an ASUS wireless router, and over the past year an a half, the router has been reporting my data compared to that which the Exede data meter shows to within a 0.5 GB over the monthly monitoring period. And, for whatever reason, the ASUS router reports slightly higher numbers. I suspect this is from round off error that occurs with the Exede meter, since it reports to the nearest 100 MB, as opposed to ASUS, which reports down to the 10 B level.

In most cases, barring installation or Exede's equipment problems, the Exede data meter is accurately monitoring usage. Computers and other devices connected to our home networks often use data in the background that many users are just not aware of, but data used is data counted.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
It's under Control Panel, Windows Update...

Under View update history, there a link to installed updates, which allows uninstalling some selected updates.

• 3267 Posts
  • 2105 Reply Likes
@Dave. That is the Windows 10 download, in the 3 to 4 GB range.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hmm, mine only says 687KB to 786KB

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
It's actually the change to Windows Update that initiates the Windows 10 download (same difference fr all intents and purposes). 
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
OK, so I should just uncheck it or is there a way to get rid of it all together?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4368 Reply Likes
Right click on it and hide it (you might want to reboot and check for updates again to ensure it stays hidden and therefore not downloaded).

In addition ensure your settings are "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

The Install new updates frequency and time only applies to automatic updates and when they are installed, not downloaded. There's no way to schedule downloads with that which is why my spidey sense tingles whenever somebody states "I've got Windows Updates scheduled for 2:00 AM"...
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 158 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Thank you. Have done that. I had set it some time ago but not sure how it notifies me of future updates needed as I had something like 30 of them that are not installed. I will do a lot of them but wait till after 12 AM to do so.
Photo of Keith Freitas

Keith Freitas

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The entire internet is what it is !  "A NET".... What do nets do ?  They catch things !  

What are these internet's catching ?  Stupid People

What else are these internet's catching  ?  Babel .... Read the bible, it explains it all ..... Babylonia..... our great return to the point of extinction/eradication or reboot of the species.  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1085 Reply Likes
Actually, the "Net" catches nothing.  "Net" is an abbreviation for "Network" the interconnection of 2 or more devices for the purpose of transferring data from one device to another.
Photo of Keith Freitas

Keith Freitas

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am already being censored !
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3563 Posts
  • 1340 Reply Likes
This forum is designed for customers, satellite enthusiasts and Exede employees to come together to engage with each other concerning customer service, technical troubleshooting and even suggesting ideas for Exede (some even prompted us to make changes such as our upcoming improved data meter).

We welcome debate and discussions (otherwise there really wouldn't be much purpose for our forum), however we will remove posts using profanity, abusive behavior, personal information, ect. We want the discussions to be civil and posts and repeats of said posts that do not encourage a civil discussion will be removed.

Mr. Frietas' post concerned outsourcing and utilizing the government for our satellite. We are gladly located in the United States. Our parent company operates out of Carlsbad, CA. Our residential internet service company Exede's corporate office is located in Denver, CO and our frontline and tech support agents are located in centers in Texas and Nevada. As for the satellite's use, we designed it to handle both residential and military without slowing the other down. In the next year we're effectively expanding our network and bandwidth with ViaSat 2, however now we are offering Liberty plans to many of our locations which offer "virtually unlimited" data and on top of that some customers have the option of a speed boost plan (qualified existing customers will have this in the coming weeks)...all of this is but a preview of what we'll be able to do with the new satellite's capability. Good things are coming to our customers!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3563 Posts
  • 1340 Reply Likes
Hello David,
We've seen our peak usage times extend well into the Late Night Free Zones as many customers while they may not be awake for it, they have been utilizing that time period for large updates and downloads to take place. The last few months alone saw a major release for Windows and IOS, in addition to the routine gaming releases leading up to the big cash ins that typically come with Q4 releases (Fallout 4 for example). So it's been quite busy during the Late Night Free Zone as of late.

With that said, about 2 weeks ago we made our very much requested Liberty data plans available for most of our areas. In addition to having "virtually unlimited data", there's no need for a Late Night Free Zone for customers on that plan. Hopefully between now and the launch of ViaSat 2 this coming summer we'll see more people transition to the Liberty plans and we'll probably see our late nights slow down in traffic as a result. 

In the meantime as you are experiencing the slower speeds as it's happening you can call our tech support team at 855-463-9333 and they can see if it's a matter of network congestion or if it's something else we can do to alleviate that for you. 
(Edited)
Photo of Cloverdavid

Cloverdavid

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
(2nd try) Thanks for the information. Slower download at night is not a big issue as I rarely d/l large files. I just wondered what had happened to the speed, and now I know.