Issue with data allowance

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Thread exhausted

Very unhappy customer! Less than a month and know I made a huge mistake. Extreme data limits make the service total unusable for me. I called customer service yesterday and was told it would cost $365 to cancel the service. I was assured i would have plenty of data for my iPads, smart phones and laptops, heck I can't even use most of the features on my TV! Customer service rep told me there was nothing I could do but pay the early termination fee or could use "vacation" mode for six months. I really made I mistake with this service. If I had been informed properly I would have known it wasn't for my family. Now I have to get another service and pay for this useless one too. Nothing to do but to give a company that totally misrepresented their product $50 a month that I can't afford. Shame on Excede for not being more upfront about their very limited service. If you want to be in the LA area you should loose the data limits or at least be honest with customers.
Gayle Hyatt - Covina, CA
Photo of Gayle Hyatt

Gayle Hyatt

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Elizabeth

Exede Elizabeth

• 212 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Gayle,

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel you had a full understanding about the data allowance policy at the time you signed up. We do our best to provide as much detail about it on websites,blogs, FB pages, forums, and through required disclosures at the point of sale. The data plans are a built in part of the process through selecting whether 10GB, 15GB, or 25GB would suit your internet usage needs.

The 24 month agreement becomes effective upon installation and provisioning of the service. Installation of our equipment is a big investment that we make up front. Early termination fees (ETF's) exist because it is the only way to re-coup SOME of the losses when the 24 month commitment is not fulfilled.

Informing customers about the 24 month contract and ETF's are examples of the required verbatim disclosures that are required on each and every new service call.

(I wanted to explain the reasons for our policies and why you were told that when you spoke to customer service.)

Having said that, I get the frustration of this experience and I'm truly sorry for that. Naturally, what we want is for everyone who signs up to love the service, to be completely satisfied and happy!

If you would like to continue this discussion, I am open and willing to listen. I will always try to do anything I can to help. I am sending a message to your contact e-mail listed on your profile on here.

Take care!
Photo of Gayle Hyatt

Gayle Hyatt

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I really just want to terminate my contract but don't have $365 to spend right now. I have already ordered another Internet service that better suits out needs. The dish is brand new, if there is anything I can get back to you to defray some of the ETF I'm willing to do whatever I can. I have made lots of mistakes but this one has been an expensive one. I appreciate anything you can do to help. I am just super disappointed. We were looking forward to a new type of service. I just wish one person we talked to would have explained about the usage, asked more questions, anything to help me make a more informed decision. I'm not a stupid person, I would have understood and made another choice for our service. If there is a way to offset the ETF I'm open to it for sure. Thank you for the response
Photo of Exede Elizabeth

Exede Elizabeth

• 212 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I sent you a message at the contact e-mail address listed on your profile here. I will be happy to discuss the specifics of your account via email. I look forward to receiving a reply to that message. Thanks
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Its a shame that they don't properly represent their services, and don't provide a 30 day or similar cancellation period if you are not satisfied.....I know why they don't though, they would never retain a customer past 30 days if they allowed that!
Photo of steve yount

steve yount

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
they didn't tell me a thing about the different plans so they lied about that to of course
Photo of John Savacool

John Savacool

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I wish we could buy our service by speed and not amount of data. With two children in this house. We need speed not a data cap. Also trying to up-grade has been trouble. There is a big out lay of cash do to the billing. I have been on the phone hours trying to work out this your not alone... good luck
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi, John, I would like to be of assistance.  Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call and I'm sure I can help.  Thanks!
Photo of John Savacool

John Savacool

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sent E-mail at your request... look forward to working with you. I see you started in Nov. welcome.

Photo of c4

c4

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
The issue seems to be with the sales reps recommending the cheap plans and assuring people that the plan will provide enough data when that us not the case. I assume they are either working on commission or have quotas to meet. Regardless, something needs to be done about it because I'm pretty pissed too.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
This is universal though, not just a problem with the directtv sales people.  Commissioned sales people everywhere sacrifice integrity for putting food on their families tables.  It's a broken system, one that really needs to be fixed.  Integrity seems to be a thing of the past in general, in American business.
Photo of Bleecker Mel

Bleecker Mel

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I have same problem only solution is to pay them MORE $$$ for less service. Wish there were other options in my area. No you can't watch videos, no net flix, no you-tube No NOTHING> if it's snowing YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK. they get your credit card and don't care.... VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER ALSO

Photo of ExedeJack

ExedeJack

• 53 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
C4, Starring, MarEllen,

I would be more than happy to help you with your concerns. Please send a message to exedelistens@viasat.com or you can give us a call at 1866-945-3258. If you send a message please include your first and last name, your contact information and the best time to call. ExedeJack
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Yes, sales people need to be up-front about what the service can do but the customer has to accept some responsibility and learn what a gigabyte can do before committing to the service. You are very gullible if you believe whatever a sales person tells you on the phone. You are paying what Dave Ramsey calls "stupid tax." Some of us have to pay it more than once before we learn.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Browse this forum and see all of the disgruntled customers before you go calling people stupid, name calling is for elementary school playgrounds. I did research and talked to multiple sales/tech reps before ordering, sadly i didn't come to this forum before ordering or i never would have gotten the service. It is crystal clear to me that Excede makes a practice of misrepresenting this service, I have a couple of years left of educating people away from this "service"!!
Photo of steve yount

steve yount

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
very true Justin they have done nothing but lied to us and this is a very lousy service
Photo of Christi Johnson

Christi Johnson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
There was no misrepresentation of data usage allowance when I ordered. The representative I spoke with was quite clear about how it all worked and to be careful when downloading movies or videos or playing games online. Save those things for free late night zone. Even with limiting downloads during the day though, we still use up our 10GB allowance within 2 weeks every month. We barely use it during the day and it still seems to get used up very fast. Haven't quite figured out how that happens.
Photo of George Bassett

George Bassett

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I understand about the Limited Data usage. But when you use the computer for the same things as you been doing for 1 1/2 years on this service and all of a sudden you use it up over night... I don't friggen think so. And then you email them and get no reponse at all.... The prices we pay there should be unlimited usage. Most of us aren't up all night to use the free time. Some of us out here have to get up in the morning and go to work....
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi George, Hi Christi

I would love to address your concerns about your data usage.Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your phone number and the best time to call or feel free to give us a call at 866-945-3258 and an agent will be more than happy to help. Thanks, ExedeCrystal.
Photo of Gayle Hyatt

Gayle Hyatt

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jim, I am neither gullible nor stupid.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I don't think your're stupid - just my poor effort at being funny. Gullible? Maybe!
Photo of Neal Syrkel

Neal Syrkel

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i'd definately say that he's stupid... people need to understand what 1gb really is and how much each service they are using actually uses... idiots
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
It is Excedes job to educate the customer on the extreme limitations of this service, something they obviously do a piss poor job of.
Photo of steve yount

steve yount

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
very true on that
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Elizabeth

Exede Elizabeth

• 212 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Neal! Thanks for posting! Please continue to share your thoughts on this community forum. We welcome feedback from everyone.

Just be mindful that we prefer keeping the name calling out of it please.

Other than that..POST AWAY!! :)
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I've seen better mannered grade schoolers!!
Photo of George Bassett

George Bassett

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks all. Someone from Exede Via Sat contcted me yesterday and she is looking into my issue. I agree the prices we pay there should be no limited usage. Most of us out here aren't on the computer after midnught because we have jobs to go to in the morning. The rep told us for what we are doing it would be fine for us. And the funny thing is in a year and half we are doing nothing anydifferent than we have in the last month. how do you use your usage up in 4hrs doing very little.????  My email keeps coming up with a box saying Internet problem, lack of use, technical difficulty's. Really?
 George & Germaine    
Photo of Robert Meppelink

Robert Meppelink

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm not defending Exede or any satellite isp, but it needs to be understood that the satellite system can only handle so much data. The laws of physics require usage limits. Satellite internet is something you choose when there are absolutely no other choices. One should never choose satellite internet as a substitute for a TV service -- you will quickly hit the limits. I have only used my full 25 gig allowance once in a year and a half, that's because I inform everyone in the household that streaming video is an occasional thing, not a regular thing. I don't know if you use a lot of streaming video, but if you do, that will cause problems with the limits, and Exede or any other provider will never be able to give unlimited service, although I was informed by an Exede rep a few months ago, that, in the early stages of the newly launched satellite, data usage was not being monitored because there were so few users, which could explain why some users are mystified as to running into limits when there seemed to be none in the past.
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi George,

Has your issue been resolved? Let me know,Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your telephone number and the best time to call. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks, ExedeCrystal.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Folks,
NOTHING will be resolved. Exede is only after your money. They could care less about customers service. I could not get service. Once I called, I was informed I was given the service through a 3rd party. Not only do they not adhere to that, they give bullcrap reasons why it is not their fault. If you were a HONEST business, wouldn't you make sure your product is sold properly. I lost 4 months worth of income due to no service. Yes, I had to cancel. It's OK Exede, you got your $300 plus for selling something you could not provide. Oh, yeah, and the comment they post on your complaint is "resolved". To whose satisfaction. One guess, it's not ours...... Next call is to the BBB
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Jim,
I am here to help.Please send me an email to exedelsitens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach. I will be more than happy to help resolve your issues. Sincerely, ExedeCrystal.
Photo of George Bassett

George Bassett

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The limited data usage is BS. For the first 1 1/2 I did everything on my services. Then all of a sudden in Febuary I got slowed down because I used up my limit. Got it back 2 weeks later and after 4hrs of the same use as in the last 1 1/2 years I got slowed down again until March 2oth. It will be interesting to see what happens come March 21st. The rep also told us this 49.00 a month plan would be more than enough for us. Even the 120. plan wouldn't be any better. Limited usage is a rip off from this company. Most of us who work everyday 40 hrs a week aren't up in the middle of the night to use free time. We have to get up in the morning and go to work.   

Robert Meppelink

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
See my post above--limits are physically unavoidable with satellite. It is my understanding that data usage was not being monitored during the early months of the newly launched satellite. Now that there are more users, usage is apparently being enforced. The initial lack of monitoring gave all users a false impression of unlimited usage availability.

Robert Meppelink

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have never been slowed down. Why?  because I understand that satellite internet is not for streaming video. Those who think they can sit on satellite internet and use endless amounts of netflix streaming and other similar services just do not understand the limits of satellite internet. If I have a large software download, or I want to download a movie, I rent it from iTunes, download it overnight, and then view it the next day. Do people understand that streaming HD video uses at LEAST 1 or 2 gigs per hour? I doubt it. My service has been great until recently when it is clear that some ill informed customers who share my beam think that satellite internet is like cable internet; it is not, period. Excede needs to do a better job of informing and educating people as to the very real limits of satellite internet. Customers who don't understand this need to be and deserve to be slowed down for the sake of those who understand how to use the service. And I will add, it is Exede's responsibility to properly educate their users, both before and after installation of the service. Sales pitches need to avoid giving users false expectations. 
(Edited)
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Robert,

I agree that customers need to be informed and educated about satellite internet usage because it is different from cable. Alot of people do not realize how different it is from cable or unlimited internet access.Empowerment and education can go a long way.We are making efforts to ensure all of our customers are being informed and properly educated about our service. We definitely do not want our customers to have false expectations. Thanks for sharing, we appreciate your feedback.
Sincerely, ExedeCrystal.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.