Does Verizon network extender work with Viasat?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Photo of Bryan Thompson

Bryan Thompson

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
What exactly are you trying to do? You need 4G coverage for...?
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
From what I've read the network extender is not compatible with satellite due to the high latency.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2148 Posts
  • 1245 Reply Likes
Because of high latency, I think that is right.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 138 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
When you extend crap, you get extended crap!
Photo of JSheridan

JSheridan

• 31 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
We've got a customer who uses a Verizon Network Extender with the Exede version of Viasat and it works pretty good.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
I have used the Verizon Network extender on my Viasat internet with no problems. The problem might be that the 4G network extender requires a minimum of 10 Mbps to function properly, so it might not work during slower speed times.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1094 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
From my experience, it sometimes works.  If you go to Verizon's site, it will say it doesn't, for the latency reasons above.  But according to some techs and dealers I've worked with, it does on occasion.

We make no promises, so I suggest you see if someone you know has one and will let you try it out at your location!
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 364 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
I have helped setup a number of these.

Yes they work well if you are on a non congested beam.
Less well on crowded beams

I suggest instead of the Extender, just have a better quality smart phone & setup WiFi Calling on it
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2192 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
That is what I was thinking. That is why i wondered why he wanted the extender in the first place.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
@Bob Lexus, yep. I'm with Verizon prepaid and that is exactly what I do and it works pretty well. You just have to make sure that your carrier supports WiFi calling. Many of the smaller regional and rural cell companies don't.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2192 Posts
  • 1286 Reply Likes
Not sure if you can do messaging too or not though.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
SMS and MMS work over WiFi as well. A great feature to have since I have very poor cell service in my area.
Photo of Susan Ferguson

Susan Ferguson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got Verizon to send me the extender for no charge since inside our house is crap.  Was easy to hook up and glad to say that 1 bar went to 4, and clarity is much better.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 406 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I have had it with Viasat for about 18 months, agree it has improved my cell service. 4 bars in the basement and any where around my house. It improves your cellular signal. I only lost the signal a few times. So while they tell you it needs 10 Mbps it actually works 98 percent of the time even with Viasat’s pitiful service. Improves cellular not Viasat internet.

I am still using it with FIOS now great phone service and Verizon will give one.