Does the satellite industry have antenna deficit disorder?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Not Planned
Those waiting for the Constellations to save the day.....

https://spacenews.com/does-the-satellite-industry-have-antenna-deficit-disorder/
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
The satelite internet industry has amazing internet download speeds. I'll let you figure out the abreviation for that.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
Interesting article.  I think it's going to take a bit longer than they had originally planned for any of these LEO systems to become available to the general public.  
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
At least 2 years or more from now. spacex anyway.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Don't need it. Viasat 3 is coming soon.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
The considerably reduced latency will be an advantage for some.  Gamers, of course, but others, as well. 

I know that, unless they're offering substantially higher data threshholds, I'll pretty much be sticking with what I have as long as the speed is still decent.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
That's the good thing about Viasat. As long as you don't use up your priority data, you get to enjoy A.I.D.S.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
you get to enjoy A.I.D.S.
You're going to have to enlighten me.  I'm relatively sure you don't mean the disease, and there are about three dozen other terms that use this abbreviation.  

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
The satelite internet industry has amazing internet download speeds, also known as A.I.D.S.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Stephen, Viasat 3 will be as revolutionary for residential customers as Viasat 2. Meaning not much.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Viasat 3 is going to consist of more than one bird. Should one bird get sick, another will be there to eat the carcass and take it's place. Revolutionary!

Meanwhile, I'll still be rocking and rolling on Viasat 1 with my Liberty 12 plan.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
Ah, that abbreviation was one that I didn't find.  :) 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
Ah, that abbreviation was one that I didn't find.  :) 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
I'll probably be staying on Viasat 1 as well with my Freedom Plan and continued slow speeds. Meanwhile, one of my co-workers in town just had her Charter account upgraded to 100 Mbps at no extra charge.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
That Charter is pretty amazing. My parents get internet from them and get either 100 or 200 mbps, I honestly don't know how fast, for $60 a month.

It's a good deal but it would be silly to come on here and complain that Viasat can't offer the same speeds for $60. Different technologies and different infrastructure involved.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
Yeah. My co-worker pays $47 per month for Charter and says it works great. But she also complains about noisy neighbors and traffic, which I don't have to worry about.

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
The main issue with starlink is really Elon Musk and his twitter account. They have an advantage over every satellite provider. During a spacex rocket test a satelite launch would be cost neutral. Lower Latency, higher speeds, and lower prices. The only thing viasat has in comparison in it's plans are MEO's and they are not being developed yet. Hughes, Last I checked, was investing in Oneweb.

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
The main issue with starlink is really Elon Musk and his twitter account. They have an advantage over every satellite provider. During a spacex rocket test a satelite launch would be cost neutral. Lower Latency, higher speeds, and lower prices. The only thing viasat has in comparison in it's plans are MEO's and they are not being developed yet. Hughes, Last I checked, was investing in Oneweb.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
You would think after years of this crappy forum that the devs would have fixed the problem with double posts.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
You would think after years of this crappy forum that the devs would have fixed the problem with double posts.

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Hamburger helper
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 631 Reply Likes
Once in a while I'll get lucky that a double post will have the second one posting one second after the first, which enables me to delete the second one.  If they post during the same second, though, it's a no go.  :(  

GetSat truly does need to work on the issue, especially when you consider how big they are when it comes to forums.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3596 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
The old forum prevented double posts!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
DirecTV owner AT&T says it’s done buying satellites

https://spacenews.com/directv-owner-att-says-its-done-buying-satellites/

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1031 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
Just another reason to hate what AT&T has done to DirecTV.   

Unless the industry makes HUGE advances in two way satellite communications, or ground based high speed internet is expanded to reach the "rest of us", we'll be left behind, once again.  SMH.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
Not sure I see that happening. There are millions of consumers that have no option for TV but satellite.
Photo of Wyngs

Wyngs

• 54 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I deserted broadcast tv years ago, and haven't looked back. They can do what they want with that vast wasteland.  Cop shows had degraded to "How can we abuse/kill a man, woman or child this week?" and the comedians aren't especially funny. I get the news via feeds on the internet. It's just a huge waste of one's time for too many...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3593 Posts
  • 2098 Reply Likes
I couldnt even watch broadcast TV with an antenna if I wanted too. I live too far away from an HD signal. But broadcast TV shows are rubbish anyhow after watching content from AMC, HBO, Amazon, Netflix, etc.

I could probably do without satellite TV except for sports, and that is the bulk of my content.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
GabeU - Just another reason to hate what AT&T has done to DirecTV.

In earlier days, before DBS industry, satellite TV (via BUDs: big ugly dish) was mainly for rural folks.  Then, TV broadcasters could not encrypt their transmissions, but when DBS industry came 'online,' there was a change.  With time, DISH and Direc essentially eliminated TVRO usage due mostly to "free install/dishes" campaigns, and fewer TVRO programming choices as time marched onward. 

Both of these DBS operators want to ditch DBS, and stream video now.  I believe its a no brainer for bean-counters since those without good broadband represent a smaller niche market these days.

Currently, there is only one TVRO subscription service, but realistically, a 12' BUD should be used, which means most rural folks can't afford it and equipment costs.  So the upshot here is rural TVRO folks got shafted twice by DBS industry, FCC let the free market decide format/encryption transmissions, and TVRO consumers lost the ability to watch broadcast quality feeds FTA.