does anyone use viasat that lives off grid? And is using a DC power input device to keep phone on when power is off.

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Photo of richard/janet miller

richard/janet miller

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • wondering

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 385 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Your question(s) is/are confusing

Restate your question and clarify if you are talking about cell phone or if you are considering buying phone service from Viasat
Photo of Richard Miller

Richard Miller

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the interest! So, I just got viasat internet with voice. I live off-grid, batteries with an inverter, and I don't want to leave my system running all the time, but if I turn my power off so goes the modem, so goes the voice (my phone), the land line that works off the viasat modem. There is a DC Power input jack on the modem, but I don't know what it is for? Any ideas, or just turn the power off at night or when I leave for the day.   Thanks,  Richard
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
There is nothing wrong with turning the power off daily. But of course no power, no phone.

Maybe invest in a sat phone for emergencies and you can always get a cheap voip service to use with Viasat. They might hype Viasat Voice, but it isn't worth the price when reliable substitutes are cheaper.