Does anyone use a microcell from AT&T

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I have the classic 15 plan, and have AT&T cell service. Wondering if any one uses a microcell that AT&T provides to customers in poor reception areas. AT&T tells me I need a broadband connection like DSL or cable and that it will not work with satellite.
Photo of Skyler Krans

Skyler Krans

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Geoff

Geoff

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No answer, same question but related to Verizon. Verizon uses a Samsung Wireless Network Extender. Same thing perhaps?
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Skyler,

I had another customer inquire about the Microcell from AT&T.  I was informed it should work with your internet service.  If you have any additional questions or concerns, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.
Photo of Skyler Krans

Skyler Krans

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just found out the microcell uses around 1GB a day and we all know that using it with excede cannot be done with your data caps!!
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Lots of discussions about AT&T Microcell and Exede over at:

http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/

Search on Microcell - yields some conflicting info on data usage offered and varying degrees of success.  
(Edited)
Photo of Skyler Krans

Skyler Krans

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can't get a good answer from all of the conflicting post. How much do you think they use LR?
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
There are some pretty lengthy discussions on this subject at the other forum. Here is the link. I don't have any personal experience but it looks like with some tweaking it will work well. BTW - Most forum members agree the other forum is easier to navigate and is usually more helpful.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
I don't have Microcell, so it might be comparing apples to oranges, but I've bad Nettalk since before I had Exede and it has never used enough data to notice.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Sorry Skyler, I don't really know about the data usage - I find myself in a similar position regarding how best to handle voice needs. I just searched over on that forum since I had recalled some early discussions about microcell over there.

I agree with Jim that the other forum is easier to navigate, search, follow discussions and is more technically oriented than this when it comes to that type of information - this one is more newbie, social media oriented; while the other is more old school and has been around a lot longer. You'll find the same Exede moderators there as here. You'll also find some helpful installers over there. 

FWIW, I'm considering Republic Wireless based on another post here - but my demands aren't that great - as long as quality is reasonable and it allows calling ahead for a pizza pickup I'll be happy - over the old copper lines I frequently windup with pepper rather than pepperoni or crumbled sausage rather than sliced sausage - always take a peek before heading for home to avoid disappointment. 

(Edited)
Photo of Geoff

Geoff

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The manual for Verizon's Samsung Wireless Network Extender says it is not for satellite use but I plugged it in yesterday, got 4 blue lights after about an hour, and have made a couple calls, all without problems. I have no idea how much data it requires. When we bought it the Verizon people said "Very little," but could not be more specific. I'll know in a month. 
Photo of Skyler Krans

Skyler Krans

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Geoff, please let me know when you figure it out
Photo of Derrick

Derrick

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey there - i can verify this does work with an ATT microcell. I was able to get the in and out data KB usage from ATT but do not have handy. In the month that I have been using the microcell i can say it does not heavily impact our data usage however we keep the calls as short as possible and use a landline for longer calls. Not a lot of metrics for you in this post, hope it helps
Photo of Geoff

Geoff

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Skyler, In 11 days I have used 3.9GB. I have been on line a lot changing my email address, made few phone calls. The phone booster seems to work fine. Again, that's Verizon's Samsung booster. I don't know how much of my usage is for the phone mini tower. I've not done any massive downloads or other things that require big data use. 

Geoff
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
We're getting one set up here to test but it'll be a few weeks before we have any info.
Photo of Skyler Krans

Skyler Krans

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you any info to share yet?
Photo of Mo Ghotbi

Mo Ghotbi

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex, I'm unable to get my ATT microcell working with my exede service. 
Photo of Skyler Krans

Skyler Krans

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you have any data to share yet.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Not yet, testing underway.
Photo of Derrick

Derrick

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Alex

One thing to check that has been occurring for me over the last month like clockwork is a red flashing network light every night around 2-3am. At this point the mcell goes down (red flashing network light), if I cycle the mcell it goes back online and works well until 2-3am. I've called ATT and they are not performing software updates on the mcell nightly that could possibly cause this. Similar to this post below.

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/3G-Microcell-3G-Red-Light-Flashing/td-p/2997445
Photo of John M. Scullin

John M. Scullin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Everyone, I see this is an older discussion but we just hooked up a AT&T Microcell to our Excede this weekend, and it working VERY well, no problems at all. I am curious however, does anyone know how much data that thing uses? Just curious.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
One thing to keep in mind that if your phone is connected to it for voice calls from your cell phone it will use data for that call.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I believe its going to eat up your data
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1780 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
The microcell will eat up data around the clock when the phone is within coverage area (although not an extreme amount).  The phone regularly updates it's location status to the tower, which uses data. The microcell sends it's beacon regularly also.

Many Android phones can call using WiFi and I use my Android as a second line since there is no cell service where I live.  I found out it works quite by accident. The Android phone uses it's own number etc. over WiFi and works as well as my ExedeVoice.  The Android needed it's network physical location registered with cell provider to function reliably (for e911 location), or it disconnects after one call until next phone reboot . Calling over WiFi uses about 24kb/sec during calls, otherwise no data use.  Of course the more powerful the wireless router, the greater the range,   I use an Asus RT-AC68U with great results.  Calling over WifFi can have greater local range and use less data than a microcell.
Photo of Jimmy Franklin

Jimmy Franklin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a microcell, really works great. I went from 1 bar to 5. Does not use any of your data. But will not work on satellite internet

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.