Does anyone have a Roku TV ? Does it use up your data too fast?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Photo of Lizzie Mesko Strukel

Lizzie Mesko Strukel

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
No more than watching Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
My Roku is linked to my Plex server. I can watch hours of video and barely even use a few MB or data.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1581 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
But dont be misleading like another poster on here. You use little data because you are streaming over your own local server with content downloaded during the free zone.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
It’s nice.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1581 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Yes. I once did it too until I got a service that provided truly unlimited data and no buffering when streaming.

But I do still have a Plex Server and use PlayOn Cloud. And I liked my Roku so much I bought another one.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 314 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Now who's sounding like another poster - that option isn't available to everyone either ;)

Although it's now an option for me if I go red rather than magenta but either need a boost.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1581 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
Well the Plex server with PlayOn is a good combo for anyone.

I just dont know if 720p (PlayOn cloud resolution max) can be upscaled to 4K.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 472 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Yep, any streaming service will use up your data in a hurry.  The problem isn’t the rate of data usage, the problem is that Viasat’s data caps would have been appropriate in 1999, but are laughable in 2019.  The average monthly data use in the USA is now well over 200 GB.  That is the average, which means that many folks use a lot more than that.  Any ISP that provides a data cap less than the average use is simply out of touch with the reality of today’s market.  The good news is that the LEO satellite folks understand what the market requires and have plans to provide it.  I think it will take them a decade to do so, but I am hoping for sooner.