Does A T Mobile Network Extender Work With Viasat

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I just switched to T-Mobile and I get around 1 bar of service and I'm thinking about buying a network extender but I want to know if it will work first before I get it. 
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 238 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
The T mobile extender you speak of will only help cell signal which is different frequency from Viasat wifi. One does not affect the other.

Now you can get a wifi extender and let your phone use wifi while at home in lieu of cell connection.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1104 Posts
  • 523 Reply Likes
In general, mobile extenders, assuming you're talking about the ones that connect to the modem, do not work well with Viasat service.  This is mostly due to the latency inherent in satellite providers.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 123 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I had a Verizon Network extender and while connected to Viasat you will get a lot of say that again or what did you say. You could also try turning on wifi calling and that will give you a similar experience. . 
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah I got the WIFI Calling on but its don't work good and my son would rather use the phone data then the home internet 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
With the extender it most likely will not work any better. You will still be using Viasat, just like wifi calling.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 123 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
If you buy a cell booster not an extender that will help you. A booster uses the outside signal then amplifies it and broadcasts it in your house. A network extender uses your internet and then creates basically a small micro tower in your house and routes everything through you internet. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
Agreed. A better option IF you can get a wireless signal.
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So it would be better to get the booster instead of the extender then? Cause T-Mobile has 2 kinds of booster cause the 1st one you just plug it input it next to your window then the 2nd connects to your WIFI.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
A booster is only going to help if you can at least get a T-Mobile signal outside your home. 

IMHO you need to look at options other than Viasat to get your wireless service to work better in the home.  Satellite internet's inherit high latency is not something that plays well with devices like the ones you are looking at. 
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah Viasat the only thing I can get I used to get AT&T Internet but for some reason, we can't get it anymore.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 781 Posts
  • 780 Reply Likes
T-Mobile used to provide a signal booster loaner for a $25 deposit (no cost risk and worth looking at if on T) - it was something I had planned to investigate before determining another network provided better coverage based on  cell tower locations and a few different prepaid plan tests and a free T hotspot trial.

My first investigation/consideration was which network provided better cell coverage using the CellMapper app to locate optimal direction to point an exterior directional antenna. I went with a multi-carrier signal booster for flexibility and have been pleasantly surprised although booster success can be hit or miss for others. Even then  and in the end it was a  $500+ gamble but lacking any other option one that was worth it in my case. Check your signal outside (walk around the house) and research it - that's what you'd be boosting. Biggest logistical issue I had was getting enough vertical/horizontal separation between the exterior and interior antennas to get it working while ensuring they weren't pointed at one another for my particular booster. YMMV. If my success continues to hold, I'll likely opt for a pricier amplifier that targets a dedicated carrier, but for now I'll keep my options open.

I currently use wireless and Viasat to supplement/complement one another and together both cover my needs. Cable or FIOS just aint happening here... ever.
(Edited)
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well I live like a Mile away from a T-Mobile tower but the thing is what makes me not get service is I live in a dip down so in this area we don't or hardly get any service.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 781 Posts
  • 780 Reply Likes
Like I said, try T-Mobile's 4G LTE Signal Booster (not the network extender). If you qualify, it's free and only requires a $25 refundable deposit. Not much risk if it doesn't work out, just send it back:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/4g-lte-signal-booster

Even if not the most powerful of boosters it may show you whether investing in a more substantial booster may be feasible if it provides a noticeable difference.

Nobody here can guarantee the best solution for your needs - just too many variables involved. You've really got  to try it to find out if it works without making a long term $ commitment.

As noted, in my case I leverage both Viasat and a cellular carrier. Surprisingly (or maybe not) the cellular is better during evening peak hours, while satellite is better during the day (and I've got some theories on why that's the case). While I was skeptical at first being 4 miles from the cell tower(s) and in a dip toward the river valley, I've been pleasantly surprised with the cellular service and with my signal booster.

The extender or cell spot option will be limited by Viasat's inherent latency.

Compare your options:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/coverage-device-comparison
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
Only a mile from the tower you should be able to boost the signal with no issue.
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you I'll call and ask about the booster but do you have an extender?
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And I think the tower a mile or 2 away my son the one who drove over there and looked at it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2446 Posts
  • 1448 Reply Likes
You don't want the extender to start.  Just look at what Old Labs posted.

T-Mobile is deploying a unique band of 5G.  If you can eventually can get 5G with a booster, you could drop Viasat in a second.
(Edited)
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, I've have not had the best experience with Viasat lol.
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Corey A  How did it work out while having it connected to Viasat? good, bad?
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 123 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Pics and Text work great. Voice not so well. I would get many what did you say or say that again. I could hear the person fine but they couldn't hear me as well. I have the Business 35 plan too.
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh okay I have Business 35 to lol also how does data work with the extender is it fast or what that's really my main concern 
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 123 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The data will be even slower on the extender because it creates a VPN tunnel which will increase your ping aka lag on phones connected to it. 
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OH, have you ever ran a speed test with the extender?
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 69 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Tmobile and all the others don't cover my area, only Verizon, so I haven't looked into the details.  The one described here -might be what you want, but I didn't look at price, or if they would give you one free or at a discount.  It says it requires some cell signal to work, so it should be ok.  https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/4g-lte-signal-booster

Weboost is a good brand that would boost all carriers available.

As the others say,  I doubt the kind that connects to internet would work better than wifi calling.

Of course, if you can end up with decent cell service, you might be able to supplement (or replace...) your Viasat service, most of the carriers have decent plans that would work if you look around a little.

edit:
https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-NXT-CEL-FI-D32-24-Indoor-Coverage/dp/B01N2HDR59

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-MultiRoom-470144-Booster-Carriers/dp/B07VG9ZZMV/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=w...
(Edited)
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you I just don't know what would be better I thought the one what connects to the internet would be better I felt like it would make the data faster and I pay for Viasat Bussiness so it's like to leave a dint into my bank account lol it would be nice to find something cheaper and better.
Photo of Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus

• 69 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
The data speed may be faster with Viasat, but unless your cell service is very slow, the reduced latency should make it seem snappier.  The delay in voice is very annoying with Viasat, and that's something that can't be fixed.  You may get used to it, but people on the other end will take a while.  The first time I tried it, yes, it worked, but there was a lot of talking over each other and "what" being said.  It's an adjustment.  Using only the cell service for voice would be preferable, I would think.  The tmobile unit looks poor, but it's cheap.  Me personally, I'd try that in your situation, and especially if I'd get it cheap and/or could test it a while first.

How much of a dip?  What's the service like outside?  Can you get higher, like on your roof or something to test it?  Is the signal better out there?  Even if it isn't, an antenna would likely help.  If you'd find one of the better internet options for tmobile, or even a capped option, you could get a jetpack (perhaps cheap from ebay) or similar device, and then just get a roof antenna to connect to it, see how that works.  Wifi calling could be routed through that, Viasat for the other usage.

Just another option, I'd still look at the discount tmobile option first.  It might work well enough.  Weboost type option would be best overall, because all cell devices have a better chance of working better (without wires...).
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
well the thing is Snuffleupagus T-Mobile is the only provider that works and gets great service down here and if I drive up the hill ill get around 4 bars or if I stand on my roof I get 3 or 2 but inside of my house, I get nothing.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2470 Posts
  • 1461 Reply Likes
Put an antenna on the roof, install the device Snuff is talking about, you should have no issues with cell talk and text.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 793 Posts
  • 789 Reply Likes
Once again, everything you say indicates a signal booster is your best bet (not an extender). Your numbers are similar to what I had (2-3 bars on roof and 1-2 on the ground with barely anything inside) an external antenna on my roof with a signal booster and interior antenna took those 2-3 bars to 4-5 bars inside within range on the interior antenna. Haven't experienced any call drops and get 5-30 Mbps dependent on congestion. Even at 5Mbps it outperforms Viasat due to much lower latency and at 30 Mbps forget about it!  You're boosting the outside signal and bringing it inside. 

Weboost Multi-Room worked for me, but try the T-Mobile provided device to see if there's any difference especially if it only requires a  $25 refundable deposit.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/4g-lte-signal-booster#order  

If it goes from nothing inside to something, it's a start and you can go the Weboost or other options. If I were settled on which carrier I will be using, I'd have considered the Cel-Fi GO-X.
(Edited)
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay, so what would be better to get the Booster from T-Mobile or  We Boost?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2470 Posts
  • 1461 Reply Likes
T-Mobile first. It is the cheaper option.
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay, thank you.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2470 Posts
  • 1461 Reply Likes
Again. It all depends on how serious you want to get. I have my own wifi hotspot hooked up to a passive antenna on the roof. It delivers good internet.

But if you are just looking for a device to get a wireless signals in the house, again there is a device you can get with an antenna and it connects to a booster in the house. That will be more expensive.

If you could get a good wireless signal with an antenna, and get a T-Mobile truly unlimited plan, I would invest in that and quit throwing money at satellite internet.
Photo of Dennesa

Dennesa

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, I already have enough problems with Viasat the way it is lol.