Do I need to Upgrade my system- Pros and Cons

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
I have to teach from Home now so I need to make sure I have a decent connection.  I've been on the same model for probably 7 years.  I'm currently on Liberty12 with old modem.  Will I see a jump if I upgrade my system and go after the silver25.

I understand the preferred limits just didn't know if the new system was more reliable and fast or if it is also tapped out.  I don't want to go under another 2 year contract, just needing to teach my students for a couple months.  Is it possible to upgrade without contract?
Does the old system perform just as good as the new?  I see the "UP TO" 12 and 25 but that means 5 qualifies for both.

Should I just stick with the old system and upgrade my plan?

Gotta get this teaching thing figured out.  What do you suggest?Thanks for the help.Jonathan
Photo of Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2460 Posts
  • 1458 Reply Likes
Depends on your monthly usage and how much you use the free zone.

If you use the free zone alot, I wouldn't give it up!
(Edited)
Photo of Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm definitely going to upgrade my limit....didn't know if staying in the Liberty class with old modem was the right way to do it.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 111 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
keep liberty 12
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 443 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Jonathan, you could upgrade to Liberty 25 if it is available to you and that would double your priority data. That might help, but good luck working from home with Viasat. I don't know anyone who has had a good experience with it since this crisis began.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2986 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
Keep Liberty 12.  It is more unlimited than the unlimited plans.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 172 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Never ever give up Liberty 12
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 204 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Can you stand the loss that might occur should you be wrong?
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I would tell you to keep liberty 12, except the free zone is now limited too, with the pandemic (likely the reason you are teaching from home), Viasat has throttled specific services, including a lot of streaming sites, so switching will very unlikely make your connection any better, or worse honestly. 
You will initially feel an increase, but regardless of your cap, or lack there-of... you won't see any bonus in switching.
Unfortunately, viasat is not 'viable' for at home use, nor will it ever be, honestly.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 172 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
When everyone in satellite world was complaining about Viasat/Exede after changing plans, those of us on Liberty 12 were content with our decision to NOT change a thing.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2460 Posts
  • 1458 Reply Likes
Also depends on the system you are upgrading to. If the Viasat-2 modem, that is one thing, but if you are staying on the same satellite and just upgrading to the modem that runs hot and has poor wifi, I wouldn't go there. Not worth it.
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 417 Posts
  • 182 Reply Likes
I don’t think any plan will give you the consistent speed or required data that will be adequate to use the tools that maybe required to reliably run the software that the school requires/ designates.

Contact your administration and discuss this with your IT department. They should assist you. Run a few speed test at different hours of the day, but focus on normal school hours and you can show them so they can discuss alternate software strategies

You may have to go to the school, administration building, or some other area where they can insure you can get an adequate WiFi signal to conduct classes while still keeping social distancing etc .

This shouldn’t be just left to the teacher and students to figure out.

Most of your colleagues and student body probably have cable or, fios and

Their connectivity is not an issue.

I know you want to solve this yourself but since you and maybe some of your students have satellite internet the school system needs to be made aware and address this for the entire school district. .

Good luck.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee Herring

Lee Herring

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jonathon, I'm a teacher also. We have the Unlimited Gold 50 (Stupid expensive). Even with it, I end up going in to the school to work. I don't like it even though no one else is there. I come home, strip, shower, all in an effort to keep aging parents alive. I realize this is off topic, but if Viasat can offer free wifi hotspots, why can't they lower everyone's download speeds a little so we can all have unlimited, non-deprioritized data? Sorry, I know that's not any help...
Photo of X

X

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
They are already doing this unfortunately, in a slightly different capacity of limiting specific 'content'.
However...
It's not working for teachers, or students who have also made similar threads to this one.
Satellite is simply not usable in it's current restricted form for even the people who 'need' to use it.

It's nice to know that even the expensive plans are also upset with this change.

It's more than likely the ping/latency causing the issues here though, your video will seem 1-3 seconds behind your chat almost at all times.
Photo of Jonathan Adams

Jonathan Adams

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, Sounds like most say to stay with what I have now... Looks like I'll find a fast connection during the Zoom calls and limit my service to emails, and regular options....

Need to figure out how to automate my updates and larger downloads until 3am...

Slow internet was the price I paid for being isolated out in the country....looks like country living just jumped in perceptive value...Thanks again...
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 417 Posts
  • 182 Reply Likes
Jonathan,

I still think this issue should be raised to the school board level, because even tho you may develop your work around, your students are probably less capable to do this.

Also country living, I feel pretty safe out here, i control if and when i have to come in any contact with others.  It is a small pine farm, but i am in the center of 30 acres a gated road and a mile off the road :)

(Edited)
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 172 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I paid attention to world news and relocated from my home in rural Mississippi to my home on the north shore, out in rural Puerto Rico, and I am using hotspot data here with Sprint. That 120 gigs on hotspot and tethering paired with unlimited data on everything else, plus many perks, is how I'm managing to isolate and have my needs covered.

I had Viasat when nothing else was available, but luckily AT&T finally upgraded my area so I was able to cancel Exede on month 24, but it sure was appreciated when that is all there was, because I don't have a mobile signal at that residence.