Do any of you use viasat and Hulu or netflix only? I'm newly widowed and trying to lower expenses. If so, what plan do you have? Thank You

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Checking to see if I can use viasat and a streaming service and get rid of satellite TV
Photo of Betty Parrott

Betty Parrott

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1455 Posts
  • 860 Reply Likes
Would definitely not recommend. Viasat themselves will not recommend their product for cord cutting.

Takes up too much bandwidth and streaming without buffering can be touch and go for alot of people.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I have the Gold 50 plan on VS2. I stream Netflix, prime, Sling, crackle, VH1, Fox, FX. No problems at all. Just be sure to turn down the quality setting on each individual device and app. Cord cutting works perfectly on VS2.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Even Viasat doesnt recommend it though :).
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
If satellite TV is more expensive than Viasat you must have every channel under the sun. Chances of you being happy with Viasat for your purpose are pretty slim. When I had it I had trouble even watching the occasional low resolution You Tube video. Also if you live in an area where it rains a lot that will cause outages.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Me too. Strangely enough never had issues streaming with my hotspot. I think the combination of high latency, inconsistent speeds, and the attempts to control video resolution through speed throttling all are contributing factors to streaming problems.

I never could get HBO GO to work with Viasat. Netflix and Prime at times would work, but not very well during primetime.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1006 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
As others have said, we don't recommend our service for cord cutting.