ExSatUser

• 1781 Posts
  • 1032 Reply Likes
I wouldn't watch it even if it worked. LOL
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 88 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Thank you for that valuable information.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1781 Posts
  • 1032 Reply Likes
You are welcome. Disney is an evil company that exploits the youth in this country.

I put them right up there with Apple!
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 399 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Did you by any chance try it with PlayOn Cloud? I only ask because it showed up recently as one of the PlayOn channels.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1031 Reply Likes
I see it shows as a cloud channel. So I am sure it is recordable and will work. But since I don't have a sub (I am told i could get one for free, but wont bother) I couldn't confirm for sure it works.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 399 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
It was offered as a potential solution to David's disappointment at being unable to stream it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1031 Reply Likes
Ahh yes. I could never stream anything right with Viasat. PlayOn Cloud worked well as a solution for me and is a very good product.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 88 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
No, first I have heard of it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1031 Reply Likes
Definitely give it a try. You record in the cloud at 720p. Then you download a file to your tablet or computer. A Roku can be configured to play the file off your computer. It works really well. Even with the Bronze Viasat plan, watch in 720p.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1396 Posts
  • 452 Reply Likes
It’s a little misleading to post what services stream well with Viasat and name those that don’t without stating plan and location. Some people have or had speeds so slow none would work during prime time.

PSA
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 88 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Oh, 720p makes more sense now. I couldn’t see how it could be worth paying $4.99+.99 per show and not have an effect on your data usage. Boy, they are just nickel and dimeing people these days.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 398 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
If you can download within the 7 day grace period, you don't need the monthly cloud plan - just the recording credits which are at most 25 cents per recording.

Works well for me but I have a free zone to download as well as other options when out and about. You get an email when the recording is complete along with a link to download. So it adds  quarter to any recordings in addition to whtev er you pay for the content provider subscription.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1029 Reply Likes
Yea.  Not sure where the $0.99/show comes in.  I actually buy x number of credits per month.  I think I only pay $2.99/month and get 10 credits a lot.  Not a lot, but then again, I am only using it to record shows for when I travel. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 398 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
The credits hat come with the storage plans expire on a monthly basis. I just buy the anytime recording credits that never expire and download within the 7 day period - $25 gets 100 credits right now. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2334 Posts
  • 1424 Reply Likes
Same here.  I also often get emails from them with sale prices on the credits, so the only time I've ever paid full price for them, as in 25 cents per, was the very first time I ever bought any.  I took advantage of that GOT sale three times.  73 credits for $12.  It was a great deal.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1029 Reply Likes
It is hard to beat it. Record content for your own video library. Like Stephen!
Photo of DebG

DebG

• 32 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Disney+ streams just fine for me on my smart tv, along with Prime Video, Curiosity Stream, PBS, and YouTube.  I have the Freedom 150 plan on the old satellite. I'm in the California desert.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3533 Posts
  • 1326 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback on Disney+. Believe it or not we haven't heard a whole lot about it on our end. I'm sure the phone team does but I'm meaning myself and my team. Just a few questions for clarification, nothing confrontational, accusatory or anything like that...these are 100% just to tick off a list since we haven't seen much:

Are you streaming within the resolution limits of your plan? 

Have you exhausted your primary data?

Do you have a lot of devices connected and running at the same time?

Have you tried on a different device or at less busier times of the day? 5pm-12am are usually peak hours.

Thanks!

Alternatively, their app does give an option to download titles to watch offline. I don't know enough about PlayOn to agree or disagree with any of the comments already expressed and as a Viasat employee I cannot recommend or endorse 3rd party products since it can be seen as an official statement/work around by casual viewers that come across this thread. So any suggestions with that will all have to be by your fellow commenters in this thread. 
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 88 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Everything is relative. If HBO Now or Disney+ slow to a crawl from 4PM - 12AM and on weekends  in one location then they would perform similarly at other satellites/locations compared with other streaming services that perform well (Netflix, YouTube Premium, etc.). If you can watch services with sub-par streaming algorithms on ISP with lower mbps like HBO Now and Disney+ and feel like it is worth paying the monthly charge, then go for it. PayOn Cloud not withstanding.
Photo of xoriat

xoriat

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Disney+ is terrible where I live on Exede in rural Ohio. Problem is Disney+ streams at the highest resolution possible for your TV and it ends up lagging and sucking you data fast. I cancelled after Mandalorian.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1029 Reply Likes
That is why you need PlayOn Cloud is you kept it. Would allow you to watch in 720p with no buffering.
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 79 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2334 Posts
  • 1424 Reply Likes
There was an email sale that ended a couple of days ago that was 150 for $19.99, which comes out to just over 13 cents.  It was the best sale I've seen yet.  I didn't partake due to still having over 160 credits left from when I used the Game of Thrones sale three times, but I was tempted.  

When it comes right down to it, it's very cheap for what you get and how well it works for sat internet users.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1779 Posts
  • 1029 Reply Likes
The Man in the High Castle is a good one to record!
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 79 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
I partook of a similar email sale (13 cents per credit) and now have credits galore. :) I suspect they'll last me quite a while.
Photo of Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
any and all streaming sites will not work to anyone's satisfaction.  Especially if your trying to stream on a new 4k tv.  If your schedule is normal your screwed.  Hopefully Elon keeps his promise and everyone can finally have real broadband, if Starlink does as advertised.