Disappearing data in windows 10?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Anyone else having any issues with mysteriously disappearing data?

I've used about 8GB, about twice what I normally use at this point in the month.  I use Networx (a great little piece of free software, btw) & it seems that half of that is "sent" bytes--that's uploaded data from my computer, correct?  It is not my iDrive online backup (it is set to run in the LNFZ) or Onedrive (not running).  Any ideas to what it could be?  I'm slightly concerned that my computer is "sending" that much data without me knowing what it is!  

I use Windows 10 and use primarily Chrome to browse (on occasion use Firefox or Edge).  

note: I've been with Viasat for nearly 4 years, so I know what's normal.  This is the first time that this has happened. I have contacted customer care and while they tried, they weren't much help. They are opening a case and said they'd contact me within 3-5 business days.  I don't blame them though--it looks like a computer issue on my end. I haven't installed anything new, so I'm clueless as to what it could be. 
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1767 Posts
  • 779 Reply Likes
Thats normal for Windows 10.
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
but what can it be uploading?  I have wifi set to metered connection, so I don't know what else I can do.  I haven't had an issue with it before either. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
Doesn't Win10 use your computer to send itself to other places?  Sounds spooky.
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Are you referring to the "delivery optimization" of windows updates?  I turned it off (and it shouldn't be doing it anyway on a metered connection). 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
Don't ever say shouldn't.  Updates can turn things back on that you have turned off.
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Yeah, I did just check it and it had turned itself back on. :P BUT I checked the "activity monitor" and it said it hadn't uploaded anything.  Ugh.  I'm just gonna start turning my wifi off when I'm not using it. I'm just frustrated because I watch my data so carefully and now it's disappearing.
Photo of Judy

Judy

• 38 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
When you turn your wifi back on it will just pick up where it left off and use your data still.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3132 Posts
  • 3083 Reply Likes
As Jim16 notes, major Windows 10 updates have been shown to reset certain settings to their defaults as they are tweaked by Microsoft in susbsequent releases - sometimes unavoidably as they move the furniture around.

The first example noted was the movement of the Metered Connection setting from being applied globally to all wired connections to a per wired connection basis.

The recent Fall Creators Update did include some additional changes to include Windows Delivery Update Optimization (there's that word again and is probably related to this issue). You can read more about it at as well as the Activity Monitor at:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/93866-see-os-store-update-bandwidth-usage-windows-10-activity-monitor.html

The only lesson to be learned is double check any data usage related settings after any Windows 10 updates.

P.S. and FWIW, Microsoft does reserve the right to download and apply updates deemed as critical security updates regardless of any settings (they are typically small - there's that other word again, typically).      
(Edited)
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Perhaps that was it then. :( I have turned off the Delivery Optimization and Wifi still says metered.  Anything else I need to check?
Photo of John

John

• 101 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Anna - Of course, I don't know how your PC is set up and I don't know about this "Networx" software, but do you do any streaming from it to your TV (say, with Plex, WDTV, etc.?).  The program may be counting the streaming as uploaded data.  What is your data use according to Viasat?
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
No, I don't stream, much less anything from my laptop.  I did find that background apps and windows setting syncing was turned (back) on, so I switched it back off.  Perhaps they were syncing my stuff to the cloud and that caused some of it?  idk, I'm just not very happy with Windows right now.  :P

I love networx--I don't see how I could use satellite internet without it.  It usually matches up pretty well with my account dashboard. 
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3132 Posts
  • 3083 Reply Likes
Anything else I need to check?
Not that I can think of, Anna - you just covered the addional ones I was going to recmmend checking. Check early, check often after updates are applied...
(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 101 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Yep, gotta watch out for the cloud as you can lose control of what gets loaded up to it.  Also, if you have an iPhone, it will upload automatically to the cloud via your wifi, especially when you connect it to your laptop.
Photo of Lesa Will

Lesa Will

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i can tell you why because every since it has been bought out by another company or other people i am being over charged and missing data and slower speeds everyone better be looking out,because it is beginning to look like i scam i am taking pictures keeping all bank receipts and transactions with this company ,i have had this service for 7 years and since the new people bought it 100% positive alot people are being scammed...huge net is the only way to go exced has become horrible.
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
If you are referring to Viasat, they didn't buy out Exede, they just renamed the company.  Same people.  I personally have always experienced great customer service from them. https://www.exede.com/blog/exede-now-viasat/  

As far as your data loss, I encourage you to download networx or some other type of data tracking software for your computer and mobile devices.  There are so many ways to lose data these days without consciously doing it.  Likely my problem was some background apps running that caused the issue.  I use Networx, it's a free download and works very well.  It almost always matches up with the data tracker on my account dashboard (I also use wifi on my phone occasionally and have a smart TV and bluray player that have updates which also uses data).  

Satellite is unfortunately a last resort option and is expensive for what little data and speed that you get.  You are free to choose HughesNet of course, but I doubt it would be any better.  I'm just glad I can get internet where I live. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 378 Posts
  • 176 Reply Likes
Lesa Will, 

Regarding Exede's direct competition, the grass isn't always greener, though neither are playing with people's data.  
Photo of James

James

• 323 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
no its not normal it is a problem they have had since the days of wildblue.  cut the end off of an Ethernet cable and put it in the back of the modem and keep a check on the data on public wifi or cellphone using the dashboard and your data will still disappear
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
Of course, everyone here knows James is a nut so we just let him go thru his hallucinations and we all get a big laugh. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1408 Reply Likes
So I just can't unplug my Ethernet cable from my computer?  I have to cut one end off and then plug it back into the modem?  Sounds pretty technical there James. You have been regurgitating that process for a while now and I'm sure some people have tried your suggestion.  How come not a single person that is pissed off at Viasat and has seen your post ever come back here and screamed with joy that you are absolutely right?  Not one.                                                                                       nobody
 no one
 nothing
 nil
 not a hint
 not an iota
 zero
 zilch
no one at all
 no part
 not a bit
 not any
 not anyone
 not anything
not a single person
 not a soul
 not a thing
 not one
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3132 Posts
  • 3083 Reply Likes
Either that or you drive to the Slauson Cutoff, get out of your car, cut off your Slauson... your call!
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3132 Posts
  • 3083 Reply Likes
However...

Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Anna,
Find setting in update/security that refers to your computer being used to 'forward' some (read it 'as much as we can') portions of updates forwarded to A) users on your net(router) B) anybody, anywhere, anytime. Since it is a Micro$oft thing assume the worst. Creators update was for me a 125 gb debacle in less than 24 hours.
You can also find the setting through Network and Internet arena. Also be sure to mark your wifi, bluetooth and ethernet adapters to Metered Connection and limit time allotted. I set mine at 3am begin and stop at 5am. 

On side issue James is right about disappearing data. Machine running and white page (no url, nothing running in flash) internal Win10 and/or Viasat moving entry gates around eat between 100 and 300 kb per minute. Only thing 'active' on laptop was small box showing bytes sent and received with 15 second update. Very upsetting and haven't been able to find guru or wonk or csr who can explain.
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Yes, I've turned off Delivery Optimization for Windows Updates.  I'm a long time Viasat user, so I save all my updates for the LNFZ or a library trip. :)

As you'll see from my latest post this week, I think the problem was actually iTunes.  It's weird because I don't use iCloud, so I don't know why it would be sending so much data--but according to Networx it is.  So I signed out of my iTunes account and now everything is back to normal. 
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Right on, sorry to rehash stuff you knew. Windows 10 makes my head feel like exploding. 
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 84 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
windows 10 will also share aka upload downloaded windows updates to other computers on your local network. might you be see that in your "Networx' software?
(Edited)
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Networx just tracks sent and received data, not what it is being used for.  I know it wasn't something I did because the majority of the usage was when I wasn't even using the computer!  Mine is the only Windows computer on the Wifi, so I'm betting it was some kind of background app that could've been syncing.   Again, I *did* have all these things turned off, but they must've turned back on during my last update. :P  After switching everything off again, it seems to have fixed the issue.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 378 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
Anna,

If the issue happens again, you might want to consider installing Glasswire so you know exactly what, on the computer, is using the data.  That way you may be able to take steps to disable the app or service permanently (if doing so doesn't cause problems, that is).    
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Cool!  I haven't heard of that one, so I'll check it out.  I'll put it on my to do list when I go to the library. :) 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1758 Posts
  • 1407 Reply Likes
Nice to see you back again GabeU.  Someone helping a Viasat user who is a Hughesnet user is about as good as it can get!  Both sats have their advantages and disadvantages and probably are not that far off in the real world.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 387 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 376 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
Interesting.  I've not seen this problem, nor have I ever heard of it before.  

Perhaps the issue was resolved.  The last post was three years ago.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 387 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Running two different programs that attempt to monitor same activities might not be a wise idea.

On another note, High CPU usage on resume from hibernation
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 387 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Anna

NetWorx has a means to monitor only your Internet traffic

The Ignore local traffic within the LAN option enables NetWorx to take into account only your Internet traffic, excluding all local communications. Technically this means that all traffic between the following addresses is ignored (these IP address ranges can be changed):

In NetWorx, goto Tools – NetStat in the main menu, this tool displays active TCP/IP connections and ports on which the computer is listening
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 376 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
I still don't think that Networx is the correct tool to use in this case.  Plus, there's one other problem with it:  it's no longer free.  It's only free for 30 days.   

Glasswire is the more appropriate tool to use in this case because it can tell her just how much data each app/program/service is using and when it's being used.
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I've installed Glasswire to try it out (still running Networx with no problems).  I'm afraid Glasswire is way above my technical skill--I just like Networx because it had a quick display of used data.  It tracks by network connection (I have laptop, so I need to exclude everything other than my home network) and by time (I exclude the LNFZ).  Does Glasswire have this capability as well? 

I think I've resolved the disappearing data issue by the previous steps I mentioned, but maybe Glasswire will keep it from happening again!  I may keep them both and see what happens. :) 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3130 Posts
  • 3082 Reply Likes
Glasswire only collects and displays statistics on the devices it is installed upon. I find the Usage view to be most useful displaying usage by App (click image to enlarge):

It takes some time to familiarize yourself with the user interface, but allows drilling down fairly quickly once you get the hang of it. The left hand panel allows filtering by specific application or process. For example, selecting Host Process for Windows would give me the details for that process in the right hand panes (typically windows updates). The bottom timeline allows selecting a time frame or day if using week or month filtering.  Click on that little icon above and to the right of the graph for some additional filtering options. Play with it a bit and click everywhere - you won't break it. Note that local filtering is typically meaning on your local network but it does have a tendency to currently show some of that as external traffic - not much though.        
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 376 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
Yep.  Once you familiarize yourself with Glasswire it's a fantastic tool for monitoring what data is being used by each app/program/process that's using it, which can be very helpful in instances when you have a spike in data usage.   It's also one of those types of programs that sort of cascades once you learn the basics, meaning you'll become pretty adept at using it once that happens.  

One piece of advice for its settings.  While you are on the Usage table and on the All setting within that, click on the little drop down menu to the upper right of the circle graph.  That's your settings for the data it monitors.  Make sure to select "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  That way none of the data being transferred back and forth within the computer will be included in your data tally, and it will monitor both your download and upload (Incoming & Outgoing) through the internet (External).  

(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 387 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
GabeU "I still don't think that Networx is the correct tool to use in this case."

Quick and Dirty, if one glances at monitor....aka KISS principle.

>it's no longer free

Mine was free, but I tipped them, years ago.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 376 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
Mine only shows the speed rate on NetStat, not the actual data total.  Regardless, the way Glasswire is set up, at least to me, makes it a much more user friendly tool for data monitoring.  
Photo of Ricky Dean

Ricky Dean

• 163 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
What you bring up is happening to me..  I have been out of town and not even logging on to the internet at all.. but while I watching for new V2 plans, my internet usage is going up by almost 2 gigs a day.. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3128 Posts
  • 3078 Reply Likes
Either Glasswire or Networx may provide you with some insight as to where it's going - they only monitor usage on the devices that they are installed upon. Networx supports Windows, Mac and Linux. Glasswire supports Windows and Android.

I vaguely recall Networx also having some router support but many cnsumer routers don't support the required protocols for its use.

The best option may be a router having robust traffic monitoring and analysis so you can monitor all possible devices.

Contacting customer service may yield a generic categorized breakdown of usage that may provide some hint but no real details on what's causing it. 
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Here's a good checklist of things to turn off (assuming you use Windows 10).  When I last installed the latest Windows updates, some of these were turned back on.  So I've learned my lesson--check these settings often!  
https://merabheja.com/internet-data-usage-in-windows-10/

Also, do you have anything else connected to your Wifi?  Mobile devices, smart TVs, etc?  I don't stream, but I have smart TV that installed a 1GB update last week (It let me know afterwards--thanks TV). :P

I use Networx, which I love, but as stated earlier, it doesn't say how the data is being used, just that it's being used. I was lucky enough to get it when it was free, but I'm sure there's other free options out there (like Glasswire, which I still haven't fully figured out how to use, lol). Having some kind of data tracking software is a must, imo, if you are going to be using satellite internet. 
Photo of Anna Morgan

Anna Morgan

• 19 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but here's an update for those interested.  Turns out the culprit was . . . (drumroll) . . . iTunes!  (I know I'm a Windows user that uses iTunes, lol.  I listen to a lot of podcasts and used to have a iPod). 

I actually found out with Networx.  I saw that that my version was really out of date, so I upgraded to the paid version and they now have an option to track by application! (I tried Glasswire, but couldn't figure it out). I saw that iTunes was uploading a substantial amount of data every time I opened it.  No clue why, since I don't use iCloud and all my data is local on my machine.  Apple support couldn't tell me why, but they suggested that I sign out of my account and that did the trick.  No more disappearing data!  

So beware if you use iTunes, it could be sucking your data too! 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 356 Posts
  • 165 Reply Likes
Anna, 

What version of Networx do you have installed?  

Edit:  No longer needed.  I found a version that has what I was looking for (Applications).  Version 5.5.5, which was the last version that was free.  If you are still in the trial period and have not yet paid for it, consider this version.  If you Google "Networx 5.5.5" you can download it from filehippo.  This way it has what you want (tracking by application) and you won't have to pay for it if you haven't already.  

2nd Edit:  If you do choose to use version 5.5.5, make sure to untick the automatic updates option during setup so it doesn't update to the paid version.  Also, don't download it from networx.en.uptodown, as that's a virus.  Download it from filehippo.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 386 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
RE: If you Google "Networx 5.5.5"

I don't recall if they had a 32 bit versions, but mine is 64 bit.  The same screen that Anna saw is in this version also.  Since I've never had "run-away" usage, I've only used it for looking at gross amounts.  It's good that Anna discovered the Applications' amounts...makes it so simple to see what's happening.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 356 Posts
  • 165 Reply Likes
Agreed.  In my case, in combination with Glasswire, it will come in handy.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 334 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Thanks for taking the time to update us!