Directv connection saps data

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No need for further response.

I am a new customer with 6 weeks of usage. This is NOT a complaint with Directv nor Excede, it's just an FYI for things that use a LOT of data.

I track my daily data usage and put those numbers on a spreadsheet I set up so I could see if I was going to go over my 15Gb per month. I don't want to pay for more data. After the first 8 days of my internet usage I saw I was using .3 to .7 Gbs per day. That included just reading blogs, sports forums, computer forums...I did not download any movies, what any videos on news or sports.

I decided to connect my Directv to my Exede service and I did that wireless without any problems. I did the connection after midnight and planned on using that service mostly during the free internet hours. I found out it didn't matter.

The next day with the TV OFF all day and was away from the computer most of the day, my data was up to 1.7Gb to 1.9Gb being connected to Directv. I was shocked to say the least. I called Directv to ask about any updates going on with that type of connection. Was it going to be normal? I ended up unplugging the Directv modem and stopped using that service.

The day after disconnecting that, my data was back to .4 to .6 Gbs per day and that keeps me within my 15gb limit. I don't see how people with families, iPads, smart phones etc that are using Excede can come close to using 15Gbs or less ... not possible.

So if you are using tons of data and don't know why you might check your TV connection, because even with the TV off it is soaking up more data than you realize.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,
Your findings are correct. Directv will use up you data especially if you watch a movie through them it gets downloaded through you internet not Directv. For some families at first it is hard to manage the GB limit but it can be managed with a few little changes and watching what you are doing, it can be managed. Glad you noticed what was causing you data to go up before you went over. Looks like you are managing your data just fine! But if you every have questions or problems feel free to get a hold of us and we will be happy to help. Exede Emerald
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

I have the exact setup as you do except I have the 10 gig plan and wirelessly connected to my Directv HR44 Genie. It does not use any data unless you do something to cause it like On Demand or YouTube.

I recommend positioning the Exede Modem so you can see the two middle LED's. If they are blinking you are using data. I leave my wireless modem connected to my Directv Genie all the time and it never causes the LED's to blink unless I download a movie. BTW, if you use YouTube via the Genie it will download at the highest resolution using the most data. I advise doing all your YouTube downloads after midnight using GetGo (free) or YouTube downloader (not free).

If you watch YouTube during the day I would download via the PC using a lower resolution setting which will save a load of data. Example, an old 30 minute Gunsmoke show only uses ~68 MB of data at 360 resolution. Watching it the same show through the Genie uses ~.1 gig. at higher resolution.

Just trying to help.

Photo of Steve

Steve

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Bsweep ... thanks a lot for the help. I have my Exede Modem sitting next to my monitor so I can see the middle two lights all the time. I was planning on using On Demand and/or YouTube after midnight and never during the prime time hours but saw the huge increase with my tv turned off.

I only have the Directv HD DVR...not the Genie. Would that make a difference? 

Thats good to know about lower resolution YouTube downloads.

Thanks again.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
The blinking lights are interesting. As a test I shut off my mail and shut off Google Chrome. I put my computer in the sleep mode with only Excel files still open as well as my iPhoto. The 2nd light turned solid, the 3rd light kept blinking.

With the 2nd light solid and the 3rd one blinking, does that mean I am still using data somewhere? Even with mail and my internet browser shut off?
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
That could be. If you have Exede phone it is normal for the third one to blink quickly all the time but it is not suppose to count against you.
(Edited)
Photo of Rebecca LaVell

Rebecca LaVell

• 5 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Steve, in all actually you "are" and do have a legitamate complaint. If that has been what is eating my my gigs and we, you or anyone is not notified-then that almost sounds illegal. Don't ya think? This does need to be reported to someone!
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Rebecca you may consider my opening post as a complaint but it's not. For one thing I don't complain. I passed my story out as an FYI only, like I stated. If I were to complain and who knows maybe in the future I will have something bad enough happen to my connection to complain, you'll know the difference in my verbiage when I have a rant.

So don't assume what I do or don't do. I've been very fortunate in my lifetime to escape some very bad things, that I am thankful for. Therefore I never have time nor take the time to complain. I leave that to a lot of other people that get off on complaining about anything in the world of the internet.

Don't make my post something it isn't.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3205 Posts
  • 2065 Reply Likes
The third light blinking on your modem is an indication that the modem is communicating with the satellite. It will do this even though you are not using any data, if you have Exede phone, the light will blink regularly as the phone checks its home base, however, Exede phone data does NOT count against your data usage.  Also, the third light will blink as the modem does its handshake with the satellite to ensure the connections are good, and when the ground base checks the modem for data usage and other information.  The third light blinking does not always mean that your data is being consumed.

One thing that is using data that some don't realize is if you or any of your applications are using cloud based storage.  These are continually backing up data, thus consuming data in the background.  
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info on the lights. Also, yesterday when I was trying to 'downsize' my data 'leaks' I thought about how iCloud affects it. Luckily I don't use at as a backup and it doesn't show up on my Activity Monitor as using data.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.