detailed view of data usage

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

That's all I want to say.  Please give me a way to see my daily data usage.
Photo of Betsy Taylor

Betsy Taylor

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I will add another +1 to this, as I have to all the other times it has been suggested. 
Photo of Ebal Nolom

Ebal Nolom

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

There are a variety of third party data trackers around, some install on your PC, some embed in new firmware in your router.  You could try, Satellite Restriction Tracker.  The free version will read Exede's data meter on a periodic basis (hourly for example) and display your total usage as well as a graph.  Note that it is reading Exede's meter and is not an independent measurement.

http://realityripple.com/Software/Applications/Satellite_Restriction_Tracker/

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I am aware of these tools and use them, that being said, I would prefer to see a better graph and mark trends than what SRT provides.  The really sad part is why is a 3rd party offering tools that have more functionality than the actual satellite provide provides?
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Even Hughesnet, as awful as it was, had a usage page that displayed the usage each hour for a day and showed each day for an entire month (and had archives to view older data). It would be fantastic for Exede to do this so we could look at trends and try to figure out what is going on with our usage. Since the modem itself calculates the usage and has to store the data, the modem should have a page where we can view the usage and it should be up-to-date. It could work in a similar manner to BitMeter (which I have on all of my devices to monitor the usage, but it doesn't compile data of multiple computers together). My modem is able to track the hourly usage as well, but I want to be able to compare it to what Exede's modem says the usage is. If the modem's usage is more than the router's, then I know something is wrong.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Zanne, thank you for your suggestion, your input is very important and will be taken into attention. Rest assure, Exede is constantly looking to improve service for all our customers. There will be many great new options coming in the near future for our customers.
Photo of Kat

Kat

• 7 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I, too, would love to see Exede provide a detailed hourly,daily and monthly data meter that can sit in your task bar. Even Hugesnet, horrible though they were provided such and at no cost of data usage to the customer. Relying on a 3rd party is just another app to eat up our limited data.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I agree Kat. And I meant to say that my router calculated total usage. I want to see if the modem's usage jives with bitmeter and the router.
I tried that reality ripple thing and it was not very accurate. I didn't like it. I would rather not use a 3rd party software for something that should be built in to the modem. I would also like an alternate way of loading the my.exede.net page that doesn't take so long. It loads the page, but then it has to load the data and sometimes all I want to see is the usage. It shouldn't take that long.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I agree.... customers need to see a detailed usage meter.....thats not third party
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
zanne - Saying SRT is not very accurate is like saying Exede's data accounting is not very accurate, since SRT is just reading Exede's data.  But, then again, maybe that is your point.

I may have been lucky, but I have never seen Exede report excessive data usage.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I actually have had issues with misreporting of usage and have had my account credited a few times because of it. I just never liked SRT.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
I have never had Exede report more than my ASUS router reports either. I would credit that to a good install over three years ago when Exede first came on line.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
This is what my data usage looks like this billing cycle.  The large step near the end resulted from bringing a new Dell laptop on line without my intentionally downloading anything.  I underestimated how much it would suck down when it saw the Internet.

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Show off.......

What did you use to gen the graph, if I may ask?  I am sure many others would like to know as well.  And out of curiosity, how granular can you get - down to the hour, or even the minute.  I know that I can use PFSense and create RRD graphs that will give me this data, I just don't have a spare system I can put it on at the moment to act as my router / firewall.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Brian, I use Satellite Restriction Tracker sampling at 1 hour intervals and then use an Excel macro to read the SRT data and plot it purty.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I use SRT too.  How can I set up an Exede macro to automate data transfer from SRT database to Exede? Will you share yours?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Nicholas - Do you know any Visual Basic?  I could share my macro, but it's not really ready for prime-time as some of the stuff is hard coded to my liking.  You would at least have to edit the path to where your SRT database is kept.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I can handle some VB. Trained as Fortran programmer with IBM in 1962. Please share your macro.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Give me your email address.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I don't see a private message option. The first part is nwilson and the service is mcn.org
Photo of Big Al

Big Al

• 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I too will +1 and add that cell phone providers do provide real time data usage to the end user. Have not received an answer from Exede as to why they don't provide that service. 
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Maybe Exede wants users to go over their quota and then buy extra GB at $10 per. Can't think of any other good reason why they can't do what SRT does.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Nicholas, your total usage is available any time at MyExede.net. A more detailed usage meter is in the works.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I already use the third party SRT because the current meter is totally inadequate. Good that Exede is working on something better, but not good that it will take until next summer to implement. PB already has that figured out using SRT plus Excel and macros. How about a daily email stating the total used, the percent of limit, and the percent of time used in the cycle. How hard is it to implement that?
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Betsy, we're working on a more detailed usage meter and hope to have it out this summer. Thanks for the feedback!
Photo of Sandy MN

Sandy MN

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I use NetWorx.  https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/?lang=English  It is free and works very well.  I wish Exede would incorporate some of their options into their bandwidth monitoring.
I have it set up to monitor all bandwidth, on peak and off peak.  

I have my cloud back-up set to only back-up my computer during 3am to 8am so none of that counts toward my monthly data.  It took me a while to find a back-up service where I could actually set up specific hours for back-up. I tried several, and found Crash Plan to work the best for me. http://www.code42.com/crashplan/features/
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sandy, 

As Beau posted above Exede/ViaSat are working on lots of changes in the background to improve things and make things better.  I know part of what they are working on is a new and improved usage meter that will give you a better break down of your usage to try and help people keep up with the usage better among other changes they are working on to improve their customer experience with the service.  More will be announced I'm sure when the changes get closer to being rolled out.
Photo of Sandy MN

Sandy MN

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Don't take me wrong.  I love these guys. 

But, when you're running up close to your limit, getting close to the end of the billing date, I'm watching video's baby, and need to have a instant meter recorder so I know how much I can watch/download.  I am going to use every drop, since it never rolls over.
That would be great if Exede develops a program, with a tray icon that I can click on.  NetWorx seems to be very accurate, and monitors it in real time, and you can set it up to monitor specific hours. (free time).  It is fairly intricate, with networks, and other stuff I don't use.There is a graph in the lower right tool bark that is monitoring bandwidth constantly if you let it run.  You can turn it off. It is pretty cool. It's free.  I am not associated with them at all, it is just that they saved my ass a couple of times.
Exede should consider contacting them for integration into whatever program they have been promising to roll out.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Sandy, I do think it would be a good idea for them to contact the Networx people or at least look at the coding if they are allowed and tweak it.

If I had the programming knowhow, I would try to create a UI myself-- unfortunately my college taught RPGII which is useless unless you have an AS400 mainframe (I think those were only active in two places-- Bank of Guam and Guam Community College). The QBASIC was very, well, basic. LOL. And Its been almost 20 years since I took those classes.

Maybe we can at least create pictures or ideas of what would be a good look for a UI for the modem and give feedback on what would make it easier to use and such.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
So, several times when I went to check my usage, the page was down for maintenance. The summer has come and gone and still no detailed meter. I wonder what is taking so long with the coding. If the modem had a page where we could view the usage (but make it read-only) we could then log it for our own records.
I really would like an itemized meter that shows a breakdown of how much was used per hour the way Bitmeter does.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Zane we certainly take all of our member’s ideas and feedback seriously. We appreciate all propositions, I will be sure to direct this information to our engineers for research. Good news is that that we do plan to offer more enhanced customer friendly features in the near future when our new satellite is up within the next year or so. Thank you 
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Thank you, Lindsey.  I wonder if it would be difficult for the usage meter to log the type of usage (video, image, scripts, etc) to help customers figure out what uses the most bandwidth. But really, just the hourly tally would be nice.

I remember having a not-so-fun conversation back on Hughesnet when they claimed I loaded 5Mb every hour for 12 hours when my modem was physically unplugged. They still did some dismissive handwaving and refused to acknowledge the problem, but at least I had the proof that their system was miscalculating. LOL.
Photo of Sandy MN

Sandy MN

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Exede has plans that exclude basic email and basic surfing on the internet from your metered bandwidth.  You can find more info on their website.  Even when I am using NetWorx to monitor my bandwidth, I am usually way under according to Exede, because they have a different way of measuring what I use.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I'm curious what they mean by "basic" email and surfing though. Barebones text only?
Photo of Sandy MN

Sandy MN

• 52 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Here's a link to What's Unlimited? A quick guide for the Evolution Plan. 
http://help.exede.net/articles/General/What-you-need-to-know-about-the-Exede-Evolution-plan?_ga=1.14...
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Thank you, Sandy! I like to download and upload photos and search images on Pinterest, google image search, Houzz, etc. I usually have to do that during the LNFZ but that tends to mess up my sleep schedule and sometimes I just can't stay awake for it. I also play online games and the patches can be pretty large. Even offline games like The Sims 3 want to connect to the internet and check for updates (I've disabled automatic updates) and they have HUGE patches for Origin (which is required for updating the Sims games) and the game itself.

With a detailed usage view, I could compare the stats with my Bitmeter and know how much of it was my usage vs other household members.
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2407 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Hi Zanne, The information on our website help center page has some
great information to help figure out how the data is used.  Thank you for
providing the link to Zanne Sandy.

Zanne, if you need any additional information or help please send
your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com. We
hear our customers loud and clear and have forwarded suggestions to enhance the
data meter. Stay tuned.  
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
If I can think of something, I'll send an e-mail. Right now I'm trying to figure out some mumbo jumbo from AT&T and their erratic billing. At least the bills from Exede are consistent.

Btw, anyone else get a message that he billing date is now the first of the month? I wonder why the change.
Photo of B. Smith

B. Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
 I have a third party data usage program but the 2 dont ever match up.Like today third party program says 200 MB and Excede says 400 MB.So a detailed view of data usage would be good.It would even answer alot of questions people have about where there data is going. TY

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.