Denver Weather: Here comes the service trucks

• Problem
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Acknowledged
Elise Schmelzer

Wind is really, really picking up out here [Denver]. Visibility is
about 100 meters (thanks middle school track). Semis blown sideways on
I-70 blocking the interstate just past intersection with 470.

Mike Thomas

The massive storm system in the center of the country is officially a
#BombCyclone...its pressure has dropped at least 24mbs in 24
hours...aka "bombogenesis".

At last check pressure was 972mbs. This makes it stronger than the
March 2018 wind storm in DC, which peaked at 974mbs!

Mike Thomas Retweeted Scot Pilie'

Denver reported a 75mph wind gusts with heavy snow falling. That’s
quite the impressive snow storm!
===================

Here comes the service trucks, after this storm

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
NWS Boulder Retweeted NWS Boulder
And yes, that is the equivalent of a Category 1 Hurricane! This is a serious blizzard!  DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN THIS STORM!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Here's what it looks like via meteorologic map
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1610 Posts
  • 953 Reply Likes
If what's shown in that video is considered a whiteout, that meteorologist should try living in Buffalo.

This is a whiteout....

With that said, I hope no one gets hurt.  I know Colorado knows blizzards, though that meteorologist doesn't seem to.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
The east side of the Front Range doesn't get that much bad weather. Denver is actually in a semi-arid climate with 300+ days of sunshine if I recall.

Buffalo on the other hand. The might get 50+ days of sunshine :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1610 Posts
  • 953 Reply Likes
Ah. So what's in that video might be considered a white out by them.  I still found it funny, though.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
When there have been winds near 100 mph roaring through Colorado, with Strong Chinook Winds, video shots from Downtown Denver can not show this since buildings are wind breaksWith higher snowfall rates towards NE, along with high winds, this storm is Bad.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1610 Posts
  • 953 Reply Likes
Bad stuff.  The video is still comical, though, which was my whole point.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
If your browser stops vids from running, click on second video...first comes the commercial, then the news.  She took footage earlier in day, which is shown later.

Vid rate can be adjusted.
====

For only the fourth time in history, Denver International Airport’s runways were completely shut down and nearly 1,400 flights were canceled amid white-out conditions caused by a fierce blizzard.

Wind gusts of up to 96 mph produced white-out conditions on the runways, making it too dangerous for plow drivers to operate, DIA spokeswoman Emily Williams said.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Ryan Maue

I have a sense that some have underestimated the power of this #BombCyclone

It's like 1,000 mile wide hurricane was plopped in the middle of the Central Plains but it is snow.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Weather channel hype. Of course, when they started to name winter storms (a most ridiculous concept), I tuned them out.

Brad is still posting today so it cant be THAT bad ;)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1610 Posts
  • 953 Reply Likes
Brad's in the area of the storm?  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
@Vet...it cant be THAT bad ;)

Wind gusts of up to 96 mph produced white-out conditions on the runways, making it too dangerous for plow drivers to operate, DIA spokeswoman Emily Williams said.

@Gabe

On east side of Denver I believe...."locked in" a building now.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Southeast to be exact.

People down along the gulf coast are saying that is just a stiff breeze!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Here's Comcast's Dish Farm, which had a  OC48 fiber setup in 2014.

Viasat does have "corporate" in Englewood, CO, but I thought their dish setup was maybe around Aurora Colorado.  After 9/11, sat industry got "spooked" and removed from their literature/websites where dishes were located
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
NOT 1 BUT 2 semi trucks flip over in same spot! Winds gusting over 80mph here in Amarillo Tx!
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 241 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Driving i80 in an air cooled truck(pinzgauer) during a blizzard had me in tears many years ago.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1084 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
I-80 in Wyoming can be wicked for semi-trucks when winds pickup.  The same in Colorado, on its eastern side.  This vid shows truck was slowed down.

Dramatic dash cam video released by the Wyoming Highway Patrol reminds drivers of the importance of following highway wind advisories.

The video shows a semi truck driver traveling westbound on I-80 near Elk Mountain. A gust of wind suddenly blows the truck over on top of a highway patrol car, which was parked on the side of interstate responding to another crash.

“Our troopers were already in the same area working on two other semi trucks that had blown off the interstate,” Wyoming Highway Patrol Lt. Kelly Finn tells EastIdahoNews.com. “Fortunately nobody was in the police car or it would have been a lot worse.”
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
the plains gets the worst of it
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
It's interesting.  Last week it was -12 with a high of 3.  Yesterday was over 40, it rained all day, never had my gauge out, but a lot.  It melted all the snow.  I'm luckily not by a river.  But I was out in the one pasture, over 1/4 mile wide over a foot deep average flowing water, just one small ditch, like 6 feet wide next to a trail is what is there for drainage to the creek. I imagine the other pasture is worse.  A dam failed about an hour away (not tied to the water here), some video of that online, saw there were some evacuations.  Last night it snowed a few inches, today, it's a fairly warm 30 and light snow, winds gusting above 70 I guess around.  No dry place to hay my cows, and everybody is getting baby calves, trying to save them.  Like I said, interesting.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
oof. I hope they are able to rescue the cattle. 
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 25 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So far I've saved most of mine, lost a bigger one yesterday that got knocked over in mud in a bad place and I didn't get to in time. I just caught up with the news.  Bridges gone in several places, roads washed out, buildings gone, ice blockages/tearing through stuff, several towns at least partially evacuated.  Very large area.  Etc., etc.  Headed back out, stay warm and dry y'all.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3332 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
yeah that was rough going home yesterday. moreso visuals rather than slippery roads or snow, side streets were garbage. Left early. Clear today with a sunny weekend ahead. Calm like a bomb....cyclone 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Fake weather news
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1085 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
In all, the so-called Bomb Cyclone Ulmer forced the closure of interstates in six states, stranded hundreds of vehicles and led to two deaths.
The Colorado National Guard braved 90-plus mph wind gusts and whiteout conditions in vehicles with tank-like tracks to rescue hundreds of motorists stranded on paralyzed roadways across the state.
..Firefighters used wildland brush fire trucks, ambulances and pickups trucks with four-wheel drive to reach the stranded vehicles, Lamansky told the Denver Post.

“We are getting to them one-by-one,” he said. “There are a lot of people out there, I don’t believe our advice — to stay off the roads — was heeded very well.”

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5108 Posts
  • 3150 Reply Likes
Brad made it home. Does anything else matter :)