Deceptive Advertising?

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Not Planned
So you think Viasat is unique in its deceptive advertising? Or you think advertising ethics have gotten worse over time. Well, think again. Here is an ad from the 1940s.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
You are using a cigarette ad from almost 70 years ago to make a case justifying Viasat's deceptive advertising? Most people, even doctors did not know all the problems cigarettes can cause back in 1940. Most serious issues from cigarettes don't start cropping up until 20-30 years after someone starts smoking. Viasat knows 100% that it is over promising and under delivering.
(Edited)
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
I am not justifying Viasat's deception. I think the deception is wrong. I am just stating a fact. There is no truth police when it comes to advertising and there was no truth police back in 1940.
Here is an even worse one from the past. It is openly racist.

And here is one that sacrifices babies health in order to sell a product, using deception.

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
What is your point? What was the norm 60-70 years ago does not apply to 2019. WTF is wrong with you?
Photo of Mohammad Hussein al-Baghdadi

Mohammad Hussein al-Baghdadi

• 47 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
The point seems quite obvious to me. He is showing a country's history.
A country's history determines a country's culture.
A country's culture determines a country's values.
A country's values determines a country's laws.
That is why Viasat can get away with its advertising without breaking the law.

But what do I know. I am just a foreigner. But at least I am intelligent enough to understand his point.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
How long should people of the USA be held accountable for the sins of past generations? Strange how liberals constantly insult the intelligence of people who do not share their views. Calling people racists and ignorant that they don't even know. I don't like Trump, but get great joy out of the fact he makes liberals so miserable.

(Edited)
Photo of Mohammad Hussein al-Baghdadi

Mohammad Hussein al-Baghdadi

• 47 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Mr. Seemore:
I am not a liberal, so you are wrong on that one.
I cannot see where anyone has called you a racist, so you wrong on that one also.
Regarding you rhetorical question above, "until the laws are changed." Pretty simple.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
You are spewing liberalism by your comments.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
This countries history, culture and values are so bad that millions of people from other countries risk their lives to try and live here.  Mohammad doesn't have a clue.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2248 Posts
  • 1370 Reply Likes
The the first one I can understand, as even at that time there were many professionals, including those in the medical community, who still believed in, and even recommended, smoking to help with various illnesses.  

The second and third, however, are just plain shameful.  

Interesting, no doubt. 
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
The point has been missed. The post is about deceptive advertising. It is not about what medical science knew or did not know back in 1940. I know that people did not realize smoking was bad back in 1940. That fact has no bearing on the point being made.
The makers of Camel state "More doctors smoke Camel than any other cigarette." I believe they made up that phrase because it was catchy and they knew they could get away with it. Otherwise, how in the world could they possibly know that more doctors smoke Camel than any other cigarette. Do you really think they had a statistically accurate way to determine that claim? They said it because they could get away with saying it. That is not different than Viasat making false claims because they know they can get away with it.
Yes, it was a long time ago. That is precisely the point. Many people have accused Viasat of deceptive advertising on this forum. So what. That is not news nor is it unusual. Deceptive advertising has been going on for a long time.
And Jim16, don't you think it is time to give up your snarky comments on subjects you misdirect. Mohammad in no way was implying our country is not great. Only you would decide to give it that interpretation. I see you are still trolling to look for fights as an anonymous person. How long have you served in the military? Your flag waiving rings hollow.
History serves as a road map to show how we got where we are today.

Would it have made more sense to you if I had used the following instead of the Camel ad?

"They all say "Plymouth is the 1940 beauty"". Really! "They all say..." You know that the makers of Plymouth had no way to substantiate this claim. They knew that the statement was not true. They did it anyway. Hyperbole was and is expected and accepted.
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 40 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
That is why I no longer criticize Viasat. It is what it is. Caveat emptor. Believe nothing in advertisements until you personally verify the claims. I saw a Viasat ad on TV yesterday that said "High speeds for everyone". Viasat has to know that is not true. However, they have a legal team who knows they can pull this stunt without government punishment. The only real punishment are consumer boycotts.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Problem is with any internet that isn't hardwired the only way you can personally verify the quality of the service is to talk to an existing customer that lives very close to your location, like right next door.  As little as a 1/4 mile in the wrong direction can make a big difference.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Or you can check this forum before making a decision to sign up with Viasat. If you do, then your Viasat quality should be of no surprise to you if you still decide to get it.
The owners of this forum, Viasat, have been very good about letting negative comments appear.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2245 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Adding what I did about the medical community doesn't mean the point of your thread was missed.  It wasn't.