Data usage problems

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

We continue to have problems with high reported data usage - high enough that we are hitting our monthly data limit, adding extra data, and running out of the extra that we purchased!

We have been using Exede for a while now, and have generally been happy with the speed and reliability.  We lost our connection in February for about a week (dish alignment issue) that was fixed by a Technician - ever since then we have been going through data much more rapidly than we used to.  Our internet habits have not changed (no video streaming, limited downloading), our computer equipment has not changed (2 PCs running Windows 7 with auto-update turned off), and we are baffled by this issue.  I really think that something changed when the tech restored our service, but I am not sure how to diagnose this.

When I talked to Exede last month about our overage (we had used 12 GB on our 10 GB plan by adding 2 extra 1 GB purchases - even with a week of no service), they mentioned that there was a new data monitoring tool that was going to be coming out - we really need that tool now so that we can help in diagnosing what may be causing this data usage.

I need to understand what is "different" now with my usage, so that I can fix it and stop having to spend extra money every month and avoid overages.

Thank you,
Chris
Photo of Chris Steves

Chris Steves

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exedekatina

Exedekatina

• 42 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Chris that is frustrating, I would like to look over your data with you to see if we can find out what is using up more of your data now. If you can please send  me your account information to exedelistens@viasat.com I would be more than happy to help you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

ExedeKatina
Photo of tricia

tricia

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
They are screwing all of us. I bought an extra GB about 5 hours ago, played games on facebook, no downloads, videos or anything and it's already gone.
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Tricia,
I would like to help. Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and I will be happy to see what we can do for you.
Thanks, ExedeCrystal
Photo of Philip Collins

Philip Collins

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've had the same problem for past 2 months. Unplugged everything and it used 800 MB while I was at work. All I have is android devices so I can see what each device uses and its not adding up.
Photo of ExedeSherry

ExedeSherry

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Philip,
I am happy to take a look at your account, and review your data issue. Please email your contact number, and the best time to reach you to exedelistens@viasat.com.
Photo of Mollie Romine

Mollie Romine

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am so upset right now that I do not know where to begin, but I would like to at least appeal to those of you who have not signed up for Exede yet, but are looking for an internet provider... PLEASE DO NOT SIGN WITH THIS COMPANY. I HAVE HAD REPEATED problems with this company, to which I received HORRIBLE customer service while trying to resolve those problems. Their data usage limits were NOT outlined to us up front during the install, as I would have NEVER gone with it. Again, I plead... DO NOT sign with EXEDE. I am COUNTING the days until we can cancel with them. Until then, I am vowing to repeat this message ANYWHERE I can!!! Exede... well, just take it from their misspelled name... they certainly won't exceed any of your expectations! I'd rather go back to dial-up than deal with them for one more day!! -mollie romine
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Mollie Romine,

I apologize if you were not fully informed about the data caps.The data limitations are something we always want our customers to be informed about. There is available information about the data allowance policy on our website www.exede.com , it is outlined in the customer agreement, and is also disclosed when a customer is selecting their data plan.Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information. I will be more than happy to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have about your data plan.
Thanks,
ExedeCrystal

Photo of Steffanie Malan

Steffanie Malan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you. I'm searching for different service and there are way too many complaints to consider this one. Thanks again for saving me the headaches.
Photo of Gerry

Gerry

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Try HughesNet.  But, you may have the same probs.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steffanie, I had hughes for 3 yrs and was researching whether to stay with hughes and upgrade to hughes gen 4 and get MUCH faster speeds, or to try Exede the only other satellite internet available where I live....I learned from my online examination of the FACTS, and because I had hughes for 3 yrs, that Exede just has a better package...for the SAME amount of money I was paying hughes for their old basic plan with a download speed of ONE mbs,  and a monthly allowance that came to 7.5 mb, I could switch to exede's basic plan and get download of 12mbs andd 10gb allowance per month.  AND with Hughesgen4 there is no longer any late night free zone at all..and even with gen 4, the basic plan only gives you 10gbs download whereas exede's plans ALL provide the same down/up speeds. as for all these complaints about data usage problems, I sincerely believe that in almost all cases this occurs because there is something going on with the way people have their computers/devices set that things are going on in the background they aren't aware of...i had that happen myself when I first had hughes...I have a good friend who has had exede for years and years and she has NEVER had a usage or technical problem.
So don't believe everything you read here...I believe these complaining people believe what they are saying, but I also believe they may not have all the facts, and may find things aren't really better by switching to hughes...you really need to research all the facts before choosing a provider...
and you cannot compare data you use on a phone to data you use by satellite internet..these are 2 completely different things...
after I got exede a few weeks ago, I downloaded 2 utilities separate from exede that monitor my usage, so I could compare this to what exede says I am using...they dead on match...so I am not having problems now, and frankly I don't believe that I am going to start magically/mysteriously having problems later...If I do, I will systematically, using FACTS seek to find the cause and fix it rather than automatically assuming that exede is a terrible server or is trying to cheat me or whatever. I won't say exede is never wrong, but I won't assume they are either.  
and I have no reason at all to think I'd be better off paying hughesgen4 $10 more per month for their basic plan --with hughesgen4 i'd have slower  speed and no late night free zone. 
I apologize for going on so long, but I have a thing about people complaining without checking all the facts...and it takes a lot longer to write about facts than about opinions.
Photo of Micki White

Micki White

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Lorrie - It seems that you reply to every negative post with enthusiastic support for Excede. Are you perhaps a paid endorser?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Hi Micki,  I can see why you would ask me that, but the truth is this:  I am an  idealist....I would so much prefer to see what I consider to be useful messages on this forum....I like to read them and get a lot of tech info that I didn't have before.  But the complaining gets to me...there is to me a BIG difference between reporting a problem, or venting frustration, and crossing the line over into what is to me COMPLAINING where the person seems to have lost the ability to be at all objective and where they get hypercritical and "assume facts not in evidence".  I
 dislike rudeness in any form.  Also not big on "conspiracy theories".  I really prefer looking for solutions...if I get to the point where some get, where I am REALLY angry at a company and think they have done something really bad...I write to the powers that be in that company...I will report that company to authorities of some kind if I think something is reportable...because that might help. And believe me, I HAVE gotten that angry, many times.
I wouldn't call myself even necessarily an "enthusiastic supporter" of Exede...I would call myself a "satisfied customer"....funny that if I tell you why I chose Exede over Hughes, or say I think most of the data problems are due to problems on the customers' end that this makes some people think I REALLY REALLY like Exede...I am not raving about Exede, but I have done my research and know what is REALISTICALLY available to me given where I live...I have 2 options...hughes or Exede and Exede's plans are clearly better than what Hughes offers.  I am getting what exede said i would get, not having any data usage or tech problems, and therefore I am a satisfied customer.  If I start having problems, I may report them here, but not rudely and I will not rant or try to rally others to be rude and to assume Exede has done something underhanded or incompetent.
These are my personal values...the same way some people seem to believe it's a good thing to berate Exede without knowing for sure why they have the problem they have.  
I admit to having been on a "tear" this weekend since I had the time and the interest in expressing my thoughts here.  What I really hope is that i can continue to come to this forum without being driven away by the negativity...which is what happened when I had Hughes...the people on that forum were SO angry and SO negative I just stopped reading anything there.
Thank you to any of you who have taken the time in the last few days to read my   messages.
Photo of Steffanie Malan

Steffanie Malan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you are as computer literate as you imply, then you also -know- that for every FACT you can find online, you will also find the exact opposite.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steffanie, not sure what you are referring to exactly?...I don't consider myself especially computer literate, by the way..Probably "average".  .and when I say "fact" I literally mean fact....like how much a plan costs, what are the avg down/up speeds, what allowance do I get, that stuff...if I hear about or read about opposing opinions about Hughes or exede's performance as ISP's, then I will just have to decide what I think based on my own experience..maybe mixed in with other people I may know who have the same service.  But it would be a mistake to judge a company's overall performance by what people say on any internet forum...this is a very skewed sampling of customers.  I say that because the majority of people who are satisfied customers wouldn't seem to have much reason to ever look at a forum.  When I had Hughes, I had hardly any problems at all in that 3 yrs...called them maybe 2 or 3 times with a problem.. but when I starting reading threads on their forum, like here, there was just a TON of angry unhappy Hughesnet customers...I was quite amazed just because I never had any of the problems they were so angry about.....I don't really understand it completely.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Lorrie, please don't be discouraged by the people who chose to vent, as you very well pointed out, that's human nature.  I, for one, am very glad you've chosen to add your two cents in here.  There are a few of us, customers, who have realistic expectations, and the patience to research issues before pointing fingers, who try to be helpful, and provide tips when we can.  You may find the "old" forums wildblueworld.com/forum more to your liking.  It's populated by the more seasoned, level headed customers, tech support and installers, and is a much better forum for honest, open help and discussion, with far less (but certainly not no) BS.  Welcome to the forum, keep it up!
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thanks!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
One difference with Exede vs Wildblue is that you have a faster connection so, webpages load more HD graphics, videos etc and, that uses more data.
Photo of Wes Brazell

Wes Brazell

• 7 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
So I should care about HD when my web pages load so slow that sometimes they will not load at all.  It's not even as fast as my 3 year old connection equipment with Hougesnet.
Photo of Todd

Todd

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Our installer said that when the dish is out of alignment a little they use a ton of usage trying to lock back in.  When I asked Exede they flatly denied it, but also gave us money off our bill,  I told my installer that and he just shook his head, so who do we believe?
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We have all been insulted (see above)..... Starring Matter, Champion says....."You may find the "old" forums wildblueworld.com/forum more to your liking.  It's populated by the more seasoned, level headed customers, tech support and installers, and is a much better forum for honest, open help and discussion, with far less (but certainly not no) BS.

There are more than 1200 complaints at the BBB in Colorado http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-reviews/internet-access-provider/viasat-in-englewood-co-9036631/c...
But it seems us "Unseasoned, crooked headed customers do not know what we are talking about.  All I know is there are a lot of unhappy customers of all intellects in this forum and at the BBB so we 'all' can't be wrong.

The whole data cap thing was NEVER explained to me.  Direct TV gave me no choices and after I got signed up for TV service, they transferred me to Exede.The girl just asked me a bunch of questions about my internet use and SHE chose the plan for me.  Data Caps were NOT explained by the gal on the phone or the installer.  And tell me, WHO reads the entire red tape paperwork of the service contract before they sign it?  And what lay person asks all the right questions prior to signing up for any service?  Never having satellite internet I did not know one thing about it and why research when it is your ONLY choice?  Well newsflash.....Verizon now offers LTE Internet and is available to people in rural areas so I am going to research it and Hughes Net.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Well said Barb. Whether i agree with everything you said, I do agree with a lot of it,and I don't at all think EVERYONE who posts and happens to be angry is wrong..my issue is when it gets to namecalling, cursewords, and just plain rudeness.
I didn't see any of that in what you posted.  As a matter of fact, before I read your post I was trying, out of curiosity, to research what kind of rating/track record Exede seems to have with the BBB.   So far i hadn't found it, but i found what you said above interesting...although I would still want to know the BBB rating and what kind of determinations bbb made about all those complaints..but i did appreciate your putting this info out there to help demonstrate one of your points.
I have in my life had SO many times I had problems with some service I pay for and just got angrier and angrier when it didn't seem like it was properly addressed.
If I had access to a plan like, for example, FIOS or some plan with unlimited data usage, I would probably switch as well.  Can't think of any reason I wouldn't unless the other plan was too expensive for me.  But not because I thought my current satellite internet provider was cheating me or outright incompetent.  if I had big enough problems with service and had other options, I might switch for that reason.
by the way I have an INTENSE dislike of Verizon after being a phone customer for umpteen yrs ..but I would still likely sign on for FIOS if they would put that here where I live and give me one of those great bundles they only give to NEW customers.
Verizon has lousy customer service, but getting fios would be more important to me..esp if the data allowance was unlimited or larger than what i have now .
It isn't exede's or hughes fault that satellite internet technology has some limitations that some other technologies don't have.  I am not angry at them for not being able to give me what Verizon gives it's FIOS customers...
My only problem with this forum is that some people in my opinion get rude and "ugly" as we southerners say, and I don't feel this is necessary or appropriate.  Anger can better be expressed without ugliness in my opinion.  I find it unpleasant when people go too far in expressing their anger, the way most people feel when they find themselves witness to a very intense emotional argument they don't want to be part of.  I am a major proponent of CIVILITY on the internet.  Anger can be just as effectively expressed while remaining civil.  Actually I give more credence to people who seem able to stay in control and just say what they mean, like Barb did, and I am very sorry she felt like she was being criticized.
Photo of Bella Street

Bella Street

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Barb,

When we moved and had to get Excede, the DirecTV salesperson told me we'd get 800 hours streaming with Netflix. I would've been happy with 8 hrs. Obvs we no longer have Netflix streaming. But I was lied to from the beginning with Excede and it sounds like I'm not the only one. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
The DirecTV sales person will tell you anything to get a sale. Exede is a separate company, and has nothing to do with DirecTV. You should have checked out the Exede.com website before jumping at that offer.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Hope you did report that lie to the BBB or other agency taking complaints about satellite internet...
when I was researching Exede.com and trying to find out how much streaming I could do if I had the basic plan, i remember finding something with a list of HOW much of this or that type of internet activity would use up all my monthly Gb, and I am pretty sure it said that with the Basic plan's 10 Gb of data per month, 8 HOURS OF STREAMING WOULD USE IT ALL UP.  I remember very well, because that was when I KNEW i couldn't use Exede for my tv watching...8 hrs is simply not enough for me!
what is kind of interesting is that number with an 8 in it.....wonder if it is possible that that salesperson kind of got his numbers all mixed up when he spoke to you...
while being lied to is NEVER ok, and I do hope you reported or will report that, I am such a cynic and my money is short enough that I pretty much always want to see IN WRITING any important details (what is important to me I mean) and not just what someone esp a sales person told me.  because I can't prove anything about what someone told me verbally. 
By the wayi just looked online for that info i read about 8 gb...didn't find it right away BUT i see a new notice on the Exede.com sales site saying that
"Attention: This Plan Selector Tool is being retired!Because of newer Exede plans with more types of data options, this Plan Selector Tool is no longer the best way to determine which plan is the best fit. We’ll leave it up here for a little while longer but please use our newer Plan Selector Tool with your Zip code to find plans available in your area."  not sure of all the implications, but sounds interesting...
Photo of Ary Menaka

Ary Menaka

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Guys, use DD-WRT and track the usage yourself and see where and when they HOG your Data. check picture below. If they HOG your data, you can use the LOG as proof in the court.

As you see in my september usage I use only 202MB for 2 day period. with my 10GB plan i can use +- 333MB/day. but after the 17 days of usage they cap my account as i already use my 10GB, theres no freakin way that would happen. Now i start log everything so i have proof.
If you nee help with DD-wrt and Data traffic by user/ip installation inbox me.

#B4L1Savvy

(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I am clueless about what DD-WRT is so I just googled it and found an article that i could understand, sort of:
in case anyone else is in my situation here is a link to that article:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-supercharge-your-router-with-dd-wrt-508138224
If I did understand what I read, it sounds like it would be a lot more complicated for me to set up DD-WRT on my router than to use something like NETWORX, which is a free download and has a lot of usage info in many different form. (or I could go out to buy a new router with DD-WRT included, but I am always short on $$)
Does anyone know if there is an advantage to DD-WRT that I am missing?
Photo of Ary Menaka

Ary Menaka

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
DD-WRT can be use almost at any wifi router, mostly Linksys. All you have to do download the firmware and install it. And it will track your usage data even if you not using your computer, the computer software base like Networx doesn't track usage when uour computer off.
Photo of carlos solivan

carlos solivan

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello Lorrie,

Seems like you have done a lot of research on this issue, and I would be interested on your thoughts about my following theory:

I just moved to rural Georgia and satellite service is my only choice for Internet. I signed up for the 10-gig Exede plan, a few days ago. Previously I lived in a large city in Texas, where I used a Verizon 4g LTE hotspot device to provide my Internet service. In the more than 2-years that I used this hotspot device, my monthly data usage ranged from 2.1 Gig to 2.5 Gig. I never once crossed this amount in more than 2-years. My Internet usage is very basic: I check and answer emails, and then read the news on the Internet. I don't ever do games, music, videos, streaming, etc. Never. So my daily habits are very consistent (yes I know - boring); but data usage was never a problem with the Verizon hotspot. I never even approached my 5-Gig plan limit.

Now I've been using Exede for only a few days, and their "myexede" page indicates that I have used 2.1 GIg; in only a few days! My Internet habits have not changed at all.

Could it be that satellite Internet service consumes (required by design) a certain percentage of your 10-Gig data plan, as "overhead" just to operate? In other words, might the satellite and the satellite modem use a bunch of your data plan, just to stay connected; even if you are not doing anything? If so that would mean that the user never really gets 10-Gigs of data. I suspect that the real number of what the user really can use, is lower.

Do you (or anyone else) have any facts or ideas on my theory? I'm just shocked that I could use 2.1 Gig of data in a few days; and I did was check my emails and read the news.

Regards,
Carlos
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I used 3 gigs in 90 monutes and not even online!! I never get an explanation just useless suggestions. Ive been eith them for two yesrs and everything wss great till the past two months. The only chage? My dish was moved.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Carolos, I don't know much at all about a lot of the technical stuff, but I learned a lot as a hughes customer for 3 yrs about how a lot of "background" stuff going on on my computer could eat up LOTS of my allowance without my being at all aware.  I did read something to the effect that you can't  necessarily compare data usage on one type of technology to the amount of mb/gb used by the same type of usage on another technology--there are probably other people here who know a lot more about the tech stuff than i do.
When I signed up for exede not very long ago at all, I immediately downloaded Networx and Satellite internet tracker, so that i could compare what EXEDE said my usage is to what these non-exede owned utilities said..  I check these every day, and they match SO well...so far I see no discrepancy and have no reason to think Exede isn't metering my usage accurately.
about your question about whether there should be any usage when you are doing "nothing" I think the answer to that has to be NO there shouldn't be.  On my system I haven't been able to detect any kind of usage I can't account for.  and because of all the usage complaints on the forum I have been watching for this very closely.
One thing I had to take into account..I had the OLD Hughes account...only 1 MBS down and 1 mbs up...(talk about SLOW)...and in the OLD hughes plan there is NO data "CHARGE" for uploading.  So I use up data for uploading I do whereas I didn't have to pay any attention to that at all under the old hughes plan.  certainly not as significant as downloading, but something for me to be aware of.
about my worst experience with data usage when I though I was doing nothing at all. I had gotten in the habit of leaving a bunch of tabs up on chrome, because I knew i might go back to read more on some pages later or even the next day.  what i didn't know was that web sites with those videos on them often were not ony auto playing when I first opened the page, but were replaying them OVER and OVER and OVER again even though I that page was behind a tab and I saw nothing going on.  good thing for me that that old hughes account had a daily usage allowance so I could only "blow" one day's worth at a time, instead of the whole month! 
so i learned I needed to figure out how to change my settings on chrome so those videos wouldn't autoplay!  and maybe not leave pages open like that...ha.
Debbi I have no idea at all how 3+ gb could be used in 90 minutes and I would be as upset as you are if this happened to me...I would get on the phone to exede, and spend as much time as I had to to figure out what is going on, because I need my internet access, and I can't afford to have more than a basic plan, or pay for extra gbs... I would be frustrated and likely angry if I didn't get fast answers, but I would feel like i HAD to find out what was going on because that sounds like an intolerable situation to me. I streamed ONE 45-50 min tv show during metered hrs since my month started with exede...wanted to see how much data that used...it used about 1GB....since streaming is one of the biggest ways to eat up data fast, I still don't get how 3Gbs could disappear in 90 min. but as I said, I don't have much hard tech knowledge.  I didnt' know what a gb was until August of this year when I began to research whether to stay with hughes and upgrade to gen4 or switch to EXEDE.. I am not joking...I had to learn quite a bit online quickly in order to make some kind of halfway intelligent choice. 
When I first started as a satellite internet customer, if I suddenly lost a big chunk of date usage like that I would have immediately assumed it was the fault of the provider...because of my own experiences since then, I now first assume there is something going on on MY end that is eating up the data...because with me that was always the case...
But honestly I am very puzzled about all these reports of very large data chunks mysteriously disappearing in short periods of time.  I wrote to exede asking if they would consider, if a customer gives permission,  tracking these issues and other problems, and coming back to the forum thread to report what was eventually found to be the cause if a cause was found But the customer would definitely have to approve something like that.,
I would really like to know. and I think we'd learn a lot from the answers.  
I would like to find a list somewhere of ALL the sneaky background things that can be going on without my awareness that would eat up data...also, does anyone know how 3 gb might disappear  where it would clearly be a provider issue, and how to tell if so and best get it corrected?  
However, i hope I have this pretty much "down" now because by using the late night free zone for all my significant down/uploads, being sure all auto downloads only occur during LNFZ, and turning off autoplay and installing flash blocker my usage stays well below  my 10gb limit even though I am on and off the web and my email all day every day.  
my answers are so long sometimes they shock even me, so feel free to stop reading if it is just all too much.  But I am someone who feels the answers to many of my preoblems lie in the details, which might help me figure it out.
Good thing data doesn't get charged by the letter or I'd be SUNK.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
HD video can easily be 3 GB in 90 minutes. Video size varies greatly by encoding method, content, and resolution.  A download of any file can easily go thru this much data if the file is large enough of course.  What this sounds like to me, is there was some download in progress that was unable to complete because of slow/DAP speeds, but, then when the full speeds resumed, the file continued in it's download.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I forgot about that...I did on advice read here and online change all my video settings to non-HD and lower quality.  fortunately I can still enjoy what I watch that way.
Starring matter, do you have the tech knowledge to tell us of any ways you can think of that, as so many people seem to think, that these reported sudden mysterious data losses could be the fault of Exede?  I keep wondering that when people say they have been on vacation, so couldn't have used any data, or weren't online and that kind of thing. Like someone said something about, when Exede makes adjutstments on their end, this can cause a lot of data usage to that customer's account...is that true?  I know that hughes did some kind of adjustment to my signal at one point, and even taught me how to do some kind of adjustment (you could do this with their setup)...something to do with force ranging or something like that?  all greek to me, BUT I had to do this several times and it didn't result in any kind of noticeable data usage. But that was on a hughes old account.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
I have never had any data spikes in the 28 months I have been on Exede. I have my Exede modem and Exede phone device running off a battery backup system. This keeps my internet and phone operating during short power outages, up to 80 minutes, and it also protects these devices from power spikes. I also never turn off my modem, phone adapter and wireless router.. I just returned from a 10 day vacation, and the Exede meter showed absolutely no data usage during that time I was gone. I have my wireless router protected with a strong password.
Photo of Elizabeth Clifton

Elizabeth Clifton

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
we used up our data allowance like 5 days into our service period this last time.  my daughter is freaking out... she has to view videos for college and she can't... couldn't even do the 1st one... has to leave the house at night and go to a restaurant or somewhere.  if someone could point me in the direction of a tool to tell me what is using our data i'd be very grateful.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
Networx is a good tool, it shows what applications are using data, and gives hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly data used. It is windows based, and it is free. You can download it at http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Lorrie,

When my son and I moved to Washington, and found that limited internet was the only thing that was available, I was just like you, I did my research.  I  installed DUMeter (a program similar to networx that seems to be the most popular) and kept a very close eye on everything.  My son uses the internet for school, so I took the limits VERY seriously until we were very sure that we had everything on our side under control.  It was hard work at first, yes, but, like you, I'm not going to start pointing fingers, until I've made damn sure I've done my homework first.

From what I do know, if your dish is misaligned, your data usage can very easily be out of wack.  Also, bad weather can make your data climb faster than you think it should.  Anything that interferes with your dish getting a good solid signal can cause issues.  I've heard it described (very well in my opinion) as trying to talk to someone on a cell phone that has a very poor connection.  You have to repeat yourself over and over to get your point across.  Over the internet, this means data usage.  My son and I try to avoid using the internet when the weather is bad (but, in Washington, that's not always possible, his school is more important than the internet bill), but thus-far, we've been  lucky.

As for exede making adjustments on their end. . .the only "adjustment" I  can think of that might affect your usage would be if your modem firmware updated, which it does from time to time, but I've got no clue how much data that would use typically, and I'd HOPE they do things like that during the free zone.

We block videos, we block advertisements, I  have all updates set to only be done manually, and we have only a single computer, hard-wired to the modem.  More often than not, my data usage on DUMeter is slightly HIGHER than what reports on my exede meter.

One big issue that a lot of people might have is viruses/malware.  Having malicious software on your system can and will eat thru data at a higher rate.  Just having an anti virus program on your computer is no guarantee of protection, the software is only as good as it's operator.  They think they are protected, and just allow anything and everything to run (if it's FREE, there is a reason it's free, you are paying in some other way).

I am on Windows 7 myself, but I also know that Windows 8, and Chromebooks, have a lot of "live" applications that are always on, always connected.

I do not doubt some people have legitimate data issues, like all electronic devices, there is room for error and failure.  But, I do honestly believe, that the vast majority of people who complain about their data, if investigated objectively, would find the issue is exclusively their own.

That being said, I've been fortunate the handful of times I've had to call with questions and such, but from what I've seen here, exede's support is abysmal, and their reps should really be better prepared to handle these types of issues, without it sounding like they are laying blame.  But, you get what you pay for I  guess.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for answering in such a complete and detailed way...my opinion, like yours is that it's unlikely that these problems are caused by something Exede is dong (pls don't yell at me those of you with a differing opinion--I do hear you and that is why I am so curious about this issue)... after 3 yrs with hughes, I just never had any episodes of excessive data usage that didn't turn out to originate on my end.
I am asking how it could occur that sudden data loss/excessive usage could be on the end of the provider because I can't even find any good into about this online, at least not so far.  I am very curious about this issue because there are SO many people on this forum that sound pretty convinced that something is wrong on Exede's end, but I can't figure out what that would even be..
I have been through lots of bad weather during the 3 yrs I had Hughes, and now have been thru a few bad storms with Exede in the last few weeks, but have never noticed any increase in data usage at all that I could correlate to the weather.  In my last month with Hughes I went thru something where I kept losing my connection and Hughes told me some adjustments needed to be made ...something I think along the lines of signal misalignment like you mentioned? not sure...anyway, that didn't result in any additional usage that I could see...with my hughes daily internet allowance it was always very obvious if my data started getting used faster than usual..my daily allowance was 250 mb.
What I am saying is, that I still don't even understand how it would happen that something that is going on on Exede's end  or due to anything not on my end is using up  data in an excessive fashion...I could at least imagine that a metering system by the provider might not be accurate, but having both Networx and Satellite restriction tracker to compare to what Exede says my usage is...they both match up to Exede..so personally I see no evidence of an inaccurate Exede meter...and have never heard of anyone actually identifying this problem with a provider...
So to me it's a mystery and I have no evidence, at least at this time, that excessive data usage is something that has been documented as being a problem caused by any of the providers....lots of complaints and accusations, but I am looking to see if there is any actual technical evidence that this kind of thing is going on. So far haven't found anything like that.
I just found a BBB/denver rating for VIASAT that is A+!  and very significant at least to me, is that it is A+ DESPITE the 1288 complaints closed in the last 3 yrs (600+ of those were complaints due to service issues...the rest were different things)...so when using BBB as an example of evidence of a problem with exede, you do also have to look at the overall rating and what was determined about all the complaints...
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Steve I am very interested in your saying you have your exede system hooked up to a battery backup system in the event of short power outages...If you don't mind  my asking what kind of backup system do you have?   would like to have something I could rely on during relatively short outages.
thanks for your info --I was starting to worry maybe I shouldn't be leaving my system up all the time with all the complaints, but like you, I haven't had any data usage problems so perhaps I just don't need to start worrying now.  helps to hear both sides of these issues so I can not go overboard when I don't need to.
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
https://www.google.com/search?q=UPS+Battery+backup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mo...  I use them.  Mine gives me 45 minutes of battery power in the event the power goes out. It is great for when the power goes out for a few seconds then returns as you don't have to wait 15 minutes for your cable box to reset.  Especially nice when you are in the middle of a document or a long email.  Gives you time to save your work.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
Lorrie, the battery backup that I am using is a CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD UPS Battery Backup - 1000VA, 600W, I got mine from http://www.tigerdirect.com/, but these are available from most electronics outlets. There are other manufactures making similar products which will work just as well. I like the fact that in addition to the backup power protection and power surge protection it provides, it also makes it easy to cycle power to the modem with the On/Off switch on the front panel. This model is in the $100 price range, there are lower price ones available, with less reserve power.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thank you Barb and Steve. I didn't even know these existed and definitely will get one.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.