Data Usage problems

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

6 days into the cycle, and we have used 13.1 gb? I must call bullshit. I have been working in IT for a long time and am fully aware that this is nonsense. As a matter of fact, I HAVE BEEN GONE FOR THE LAST 6 DAYS. I am the only one in the house who would be using and notable amount of data. Wife has been stuck watching netflix only during the free zone since last month we capped out within the first week as well. Have been doing all downloads and updates in the "free" zone. On top of that, I get on here and see that virtually every customer is experiencing something similar, and that new customers will be getting much higher data caps and lower prices. I pay $120 a month for 15gb a month and your worthless exede voice. That alone is damn near highway robbery without recalling the fact that we are not even getting to use the measly amount of data. And without any sort of detailed report on your end pertaining to where this data has magically disappeared to?  Quite frankly the most helpful thing I've come across on your forums was one customer claiming she has spoken to an attorney and was told she would be able to get out of the contract due to the fact that we are not getting the services listed on your end of the contract. As of tonight, I have installed 2 separate data usage meters and greatly look forward to seeing exactly how much you're fucking me and my family. Thanks a ton, I look forward to even more incompetence regarding your response. 
Photo of Shawn Reed

Shawn Reed

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • Disbelieving

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Sadly, with satellite Internet you really have to limit yourself as to what you do.  Movies and hi-def videos can really eat up the data.  My wife burned through 1GB in a little over an hour just "browsing" with Google Earth.  She didn't realize how much data was being consumed with that activity.
Photo of Michael Bipes

Michael Bipes

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I agree. Here I live in a rural bedroom community; there's no DSL, no cable internet, the only game in town is satellite. Now, if my next door neighbor signs up for a new plan today he will receive twice as much service as I and pay far less. So, (scratch my head) why am I being screwed? Am I subsidizing his cheap internet? Sounds a bit like free health care to me.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
The double cap is just to get people to sign up. In six months your neighbor will be under the same data cap as you.  (At least that's how it works in my beam)
Photo of Gayle Willett

Gayle Willett

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Don't look to exede for any explanation or assistance in figuring out where the data is going. A Michael that I talked to yesterday stated "Exede is only the provider and the customer is the user. It is up to the user to control the usage". I thought wild blue was a rip off when we had it, but exede is the king. I did not know it was the same company until they came to install the equipment. Exede could only tell me which days were spiked and offered to put 5 gig back on our account which has not yet happened. I do not watch movies, videos, and very little face timing. The most we ever used with the 5 spot was less than 6 gig, but now we sometimes go through 4 gig in one day without any explanation as to where it went. A group law suit sounds good to me.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Gayle, 

I apologize if you didn't get the information you were looking for.  We are able to provide you with your traffic categories, which will assist you in keeping track of your usage.  I am definitely here to help you get your data issue figured out.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact info and the best time to reach you.  Lets spends some time going over your usage details.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Shawn,

I would like to discuss your data concerns with you.  We can go over your traffic categories to see where your data is being consumed.  This will help us get a better understanding of your concerns.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you.  Thanks. 
Photo of Michael Bipes

Michael Bipes

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I realize everyone wants more bandwidth, please sign me up! However, this isn't the point. The point is for the next 6 months you will be ripping all of us off. For your new 6 month plans the price per gigabyte is the following: 20gb = $2.50, 30gb = $2.67, 50gb = 2.60. Based on these prices this is what you need to be charging the rest of us for the next 6 months: 10gb = $25.00, 30gb = $40.00, 25gb = $65.00. So no, we do NOT want to call you and have you lecture us on our band width usage. We simply would like your manager address the fact, for the next 6 months, you will be committing fraud by not lowering our monthly bill. This is what I need you to address.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
MIchael,

We don't want to lecture you.  We want to inform you of where your data is being used.  We provide your usage traffic categories so that you are aware of what activities are consuming the most of your data.  If you would like to discuss your usage. please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you. I look forward to resolving you issues.
Photo of Michael Bipes

Michael Bipes

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Nice canned message. Perhaps you misunderstood. I have absolutely NO data usage problem. Viasat/Exede is offering introductory pricing along with increased data to new customers for the next six months. I DO NOT care about the increased data. I currently have a 25gb plan. Based on the price per gigabyte of the highest tier plan of this introductory offer, you should only be charging me $65 per month. Will my bill be lowered accordingly?
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Michael,

Unfortunately, at this time the introductory offer is not available to existing customers.  We hope to transition existing customers in the fall.  Stay tuned... 
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Bipes

Michael Bipes

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Perhaps you don't understand. Instead of you making the next answer up on a fly, please forward my inquiry to corporate. If you reduce the price service to certain customers, you must also reduce the price to all who already pay for the service. I think I may have a valid complaint.
Photo of Michael Bipes

Michael Bipes

• 6 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Or I can email Mr. Dankberg myself
Photo of Thomas Garrity

Thomas Garrity

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Just had to reboot my modem again, about every other day, since I could not load even the most basic web page.  I am frequently running out of my data allowance, even though I am very careful with data usage.  Do not download any movies or stream live feeds unless in the free zone which is a pain in the neck since I get up early in the morning for my workout.  Speed rarely meets the advertised levels.  I have called customer service to explore my options for cancelling the contract...not much satisfaction yet.  In plain words, the Exede Internet service sucks.
Photo of Gerry

Gerry

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Suggest you turn off ALL of your AUTOMATIC UPDATES for your PHONES and COMPUTERS.  I learned that the hard way in month one.  
Photo of Shawn Reed

Shawn Reed

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
No phones connected to the wifi, and my pc (only one in house) is set to update at 3a.m., during the free zone. 
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Shawn, I - along with many others here - share your massive frustrations. This company is a total joke. Criminals.  
Photo of Thomas Garrity

Thomas Garrity

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Cancelled the service.  Too unreliable on performance and service levels.  Exploring other options and now talking to Comcast.
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Photo of Shawn Reed

Shawn Reed

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
You have yet to respond to my email, all you guys have done is changed the title of this post from "data usage is a joke" to "data usage problems". Some resolution.
(Edited)
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Shawn,

Thank you for sending an email.  I see that your concerns our being addressed.  Please let me know if you need additional assistance.
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Yes they did Shawn, see above and I copied it below....Don't waste your breath tho.  They are useless!  They will not help you one bit.  Been there, done that.

Shawn,

I would like to discuss your data concerns with you.  We can go over your traffic categories to see where your data is being consumed.  This will help us get a better understanding of your concerns.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you.  Thanks.
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Shawn, they changed my subject titles as well. They are obviously trying to whitewash the issue and make it less of a problem. I changed one of mine back and they then revoked my ability to edit the post. 

We're so happy to be moving in to a new building where we can get Time Warner Cable internet. This company is seriously horrible. 
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Oh Jeremy, YOU ARE SO LUCKY!  I would give anything to get rid of Exede and have my TWC back.  Exede is the WORST company I have ever dealt with in all 50+ years of my life.  Hopefully someday soon I will have another internet provider option in my rural area so I can DUMP Exede.  I HATE THEM!
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Im beyond thankful. This company truly rides the line of being criminal. I hope people band together here around these conversations and realize that customers are what make or break a company. Treating customers with blatant disregard is NOT OK. Creating vague mysteries that put the problems in the hand of the customers... NOT OK. 

Exede, I hope you are listening here. And no, I wont send an email to exedelistens@bullsh*tservice.com 
Photo of Teresa Carter Johnson

Teresa Carter Johnson

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I sent an email and it came back undeliverable. I cant get to my account even tho i have already done their transfer thing. I dont get it. I turned the whole thing off till my roll over on the 28th. Cant wait to see how much data i have used since i am not even using the service. One dollar more and that will be the last buck they see from me.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Teresa,

I'm sorry you weren't able to contact us.  Please send the email to exedelistens@viasat.com.  We are willing and able to help you.
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Report in on how much data was used ! 
Photo of Rob Myers

Rob Myers

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It seems that many people are having problems lately and you can add me to that list. For the past 2 days, ALL of my iOS devices (Ipad, Iphone) are not getting notifications outside of the Free Zone period (Our data limit has ALREADY been reached which I call BULL on because we supposedly used 8 GB in the first week and NO ONE downloaded any movies, music, no downloads outside of the FreeZone, etc...). At first I thought something was wrong with our router so I switched it out, nothing. Then I went the dreaded route and did a restore on all my iOS devices, still the same thing. Then around 12:00am, I suddenly got a surge of notifications from all my apps (e-mail. news, etc...). I kept getting notifications until this morning and guess what? NO NOTIFICATIONS. The ONLY way I can see if I get any mail is to actually open the email app and then I can see if I received any mails.

Another thing, I used the "new" and "updated" Account Management to check the data usage and the ONLY thing it shows the semi-circle with how much I've used out of my monthly allowance and that's it, nothing more. The old page showed a little more information.

Lately, using Exede outside the monthly data limit has become the WORST experience in the history of internet usage. I think dial-up speeds are faster than the "slowed" speeds. You would think that for the amount of money we pay that we would get better service. We are thinking about cancelling our service and explore possible further actions.
(Edited)
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Rob,

8Gbs in the first week is a high amount of usage.  Did you ever speak with someone to figure out where the data was consumed?  If not, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and we can get on top of that.  You definitely have the right to know.  

When services are slowed due to hitting your data cap, you do have a few options to return to normal speeds:

1) Of course using the LNFZ

2) Purchase Additional GBs "BuyMore"

3) If available, One-time Dapp removal

Let's come together and work on a solution.
Photo of Shawn Reed

Shawn Reed

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Finally got a call from your company, no answers were given other than our usage spiked on sunday and apparently thats where our entire 15gbs went. Then is the only day of the month we watched netflix and all we did was watch ONE standup comedy. Yeeeeah right. Im gonna need a little more evidence than that exede. Thanks for the free 5 gb, im sure itll be gone before i can even decide what to do with it.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Shawn I'm glad that we were able to speak on the phone today. Those 5 GB are on your account and ready for use. If you have questions or concerns please send us an email at exedelistens@viasat.com and we will be more then happy to assist! 
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
That's funny!  I got 5 free GB too.......It was used up and gone the next day.  This is unbelievable!
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Have any of you with data usage complaints tried downloading Networx so you can monitor much more precising when and where these large usages are occurring?  This should help you perhaps really find the cause of the problem..then you can decide whether to fix something on your own systems/devices/ or else will help you with your lawsuit.  I would predict it will be the former.
here is a link to do a Networx download:
http://download.cnet.com/NetWorx/3000-2085_4-10155904.html
disclaimer:  I heard about Networx on this forum and have downloaded it for my own use...that is my only connection to Networx.  And networx is completely independent of Exede.  You can also try Satellite Restriction tracker....but you get a lot more info with Networx I think...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.