Question about data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

Since before October of 2013 we have been getting data usage alerts. In October we ran out of data after only 9 days and we supposedly had used 10 gb. This is absurd. This is still going on. I have contacted you before with no results. I have been monitoring the usage at my house consistently. My son gets on the internet after midnight so it should NOT count against the usage data. I want to know why we are running out every month and why!!!!! I asked before -- What is being downloaded?!?Don't tell me to monitor my computer updates.  That has been done.  What we use and the amount barely adds up to 2 gb much less 10!!! We never had this problem before changing to wildblue. We changed to get faster service, which we did, but now we have no data when we need it! I want to know what is going on and why the sudden change with this service?! When we first got this service, we used it day and night and didn't run out. Now we rarely use it and constantly run out of data!!
Photo of templen price

templen price

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
templen,

What what kind of activities do you and your family use services for? Different activities, and downloads can accumulate differently.
Photo of templen price

templen price

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Facebook, occasionally U Tube, Looking up things on the web, but not downloading it, I occasionally download a document from a website but NOT large documents.  I have monitored the activities on the computers and the usage.  Large spikes such as using 4GB in one day is not us using the internet, it's a problem from elsewhere.  I monitor usage consistently to make sure how the internet is being used from home.  The next step for me is to turn the router off at any given time and when I turn it back on see how much data has been used.  Like I said, the problem is NOT coming from my usage, it's coming from elsewhere.  Why is it that this all of a sudden started happening 4 months ago?  As I checked this site out I discovered it's happening to a lot of people.  Maybe the problem is coming from your end and not the paying customer!
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Since facebook changed their video policy, the videos that people post on their feeds start to play automatically.  Each and every one of those videos, perhaps even streaming at full HD  uses your data.  Dump IE if you are using it, install firefox or chrome, and install flashblock.  Flashblock will prevent the videos from playing automatically, sucking your data like a vampire.  While you are at it, install adblock as well, that will assure all those facebook ads are not leeching at you as well.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I have chrome....makes no difference for me.  Still run out.  Tired of hearing how we should become IT graduates to save usage anyway.  My daughter pays 59 monthly for unlimited access.  I don't even mind the 130.00 per month to be worry free.  But to pay 130.00 to find out that me and the wife eat up 25gbs per month anyway?  For 130 we should get unlimited!!!!  Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I would simply recommend that everyone should take undergraduate courses at DeVry as IT majors.  That way you will better understand how it works.  ;)
Photo of ExedeSherry

ExedeSherry

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Suzanne,
I can totally relate. I am not the most tech savvy person either. But, when it comes to Facebook it really is best to shut off the auto-play feature. Videos use data faster, and you may not realize that data is being used up on these videos. A simpler option is to edit the settings on facebook. You can try this link https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=videos
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
That's fine Sherry, but I think you're missing the point.  You see, with every other carrier we've had, we haven't had to spend our day manipulating everything we do.  I honestly don't believe that most folks could do all of these tasks without help.  Help that, in large part, and based on so many posts,  never seems to come to fruition.  Maybe I should minimize my home page until the next search page pops up.  And turn the power off to my home when not online?  My point Sherry, is that if you are required to become a Tech Savvy IT engineer just to get three weeks of internet usage for over 130.00 per month,  the provider should allow for an unlimited option.  If we were all tech savvy enough to manipulate your requirements, you would not need a tech support division, would you?  Although, from reading these posts, I'm not sure you do have a tech support division.  I called the other day myself, just to confirm what kind of help one can get.  After 26 minutes of waiting, tech support hung up on me.  After 36 years in Customer Service with some of the world's largest corporations, my husband has determined that, your company is not geared, nor based in growth founded on customer service, but rather profit margins.  It's great for 'get rich quick', but will never sustain.  Lose Customer confidence = Lose money - Lose money = Dissolve.  Nothing personal Sherry, but I would start looking to companies like HughesNet for future income.  God Bless.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
BTW Sherry.  I started a facebook page several months ago, but haven't visited it, and have never watched a YouTube video on it.  How does looking at a couple of pages on a specific plant, or article of clothing eat up gigs?  Again, my point.  I don't know how to fix it, but for what I pay, I shouldn't have to.  If you're going to put me through IT desolation, then price 25gigs at 69 or so per month.  For what I pay I should not have to beg for help, only to get hung up on!
Photo of Bleecker Mel

Bleecker Mel

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Totally Agree Suzanne. I've been hung up repeatedly and only have 'techs' try to sell me a more expensive package!

Photo of SirWayne

SirWayne

• 8 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Didn't know wildblue had a free download time
Photo of TrealTrice

TrealTrice

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It doesnt, maybe he is speaking of Exede... hopefully.
Photo of Exedekatina

Exedekatina

• 42 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
SirWayne wildblue does not have a free download time because of being on a rolling 30 day period.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I could have sworn I saw in my email, a way to schedule downloads to save usage?  Do I not understand downloading, or do I need to take IT at DeVry in order to understand all this?  I pay 130.00 Per month for access and get three weeks.  My daughter is on all day long watching videos with charter cable and goes a whole month for 59 dollars!  She doesn't have to call anyone, and pays a third of what we pay.  a little curious here.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Tips to get data savvy
  • Stay up late: With data, your best friend is the Late Night Free Zone: A daily, unmetered period from midnight to 5 a.m. local time where you can upload and download things without it impacting your allowance. Even if you don't stay up this late, you can schedule data uploads and downloads during this time period. For more info, click here.

Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I'm an RN who works nights in a very busy ER.  Should I take off work now too?  For 130.00 per month plus, should I even have to?
Photo of amy

amy

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same thing has happened to us...at exactly 9 days!  this is ridiculous!

Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Happened to us too.  We went over the 10gigs so upgraded to 25gigs for 130.00.  now we at least get three weeks we can go online.  One day maybe we can sell the house and get 50gigs, which will likely give us 3 and a half weeks.  you see we do watch a couple of you tubes once a week or so.  Anyway, the only real solution would be to just pay them a couple thousand a month and hope they don't cut you off before the end of that month.  Try that.  But good luck!  LOL

Photo of Exedekatina

Exedekatina

• 42 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Amy I would be more than happy to take a look at your data usage with you. If you want just send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information. Thank you.

ExedeKatina
Photo of Bleecker Mel

Bleecker Mel

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

So how is the data use problem SOLVED?? when so many people continue to complain??

Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
It's not.  That's how they make their money.  Give you an inferior service, charge more than the underground cable companies do, then punish you for going over.  For them to solve it they would have to give more, do better, and make less money.  Not happenin.

Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Excuse me, but It is ignorant of YOU to assume everyone having this problem is ignorant. I am a highly educated and completely computer literate person that is taking all precautions necessary to save gigs and they are still being used up when I'm not active on the internet. PLUS, Exede has said that in some cases it could be how the satellite is positioned and other factors on their end. What kind if person assumes when hundreds of people are having the same problem with a service that it is only user error? That, my friend, is ignorance.
Photo of ExedeSherry

ExedeSherry

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Jeff,
Sorry but we do not support name calling. Everyone should be treated with respect. We appreciate your opinion, but please refrain from the name calling. Thank you.
Photo of ExedeSherry

ExedeSherry

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
MaryEllen,
We are happy to look into anyone's account that feels they are having a data issue. We ask that an email is sent with contact information so that we can reach out over the phone. If you need assisstance with your account, please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, with your contact information and the best time to reach you and we can take a look.

Photo of Bleecker Mel

Bleecker Mel

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've done this several times with the same responses and it doesn't resolve the lack of connectivity, my having to re-boot and refresh pages several times a day.. thanks
Photo of ExedeJack

ExedeJack

• 53 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you for letting us know about your connectivity concerns.   We definitely want to help and delve further into what is going on.  If you would like to discuss them more please let us know by either sending us an e-mail at exedelistens@viasat.com or you can give us a call at 1866-945-3258.  ExedeJack

Photo of tricia

tricia

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I've had wildblue for two years now, and in the last 5-6 months They say that I've hit my limit like 2 weeks into my new month. For the 1st year and a half I always had GBs left at the end of the month. I don't know what they are doing but I know that I'm not doing anything different. My contract is now up and I'll be finding another internet service ASAP! Would not recommend this guys to anybody!!
Photo of Genia Hopkins

Genia Hopkins

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My problem and feelings are the same. I feel like I have been bilked for the last several months, as where i have bought additional.  This month the usage 1st day o.1 second day total 2.2 Ikeep trying to find out to no avail...
Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Genia Hopkins,
If you are having issues with your internet service, we would be happy to troubleshoot your problems. Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and a brief description of your issue. Thanks, ExedeCrystal
Photo of tricia

tricia

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
They'll give you a bunch of crap and tell you of a few things to download "to help" but it will use GBs but do nothing to help
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Tricia...if they truly wanted to SOLVE this problem, they would offer varying degrees of usage (like they do), but would resolve it by charging overages up to a preset 'high' usage.  And then offer an unlimited package.  There is much more money to be made in contracts, and termination fees.  If that were not true, you would not see this problem as so prevalent.  Caveat  Emptor!
Photo of tricia

tricia

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

What a bunch of crap this company shovels, 7 hours of just facebook and it's saying I've used almost 2.5 GBs. What a big rip off

Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Sorry, but if you don't think that SEVEN HOURS on facebook can eat 2.5 GB you are very mistaken.  I challenge you to head on over to download.com get yourself a bandwidth monitoring program, such as DUMeter and do the same thing again, you will see ANY time on facebook if you don't block videos (flash) and advertisements is a massive data hog.
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have videos (flash) and ads blocked and I still am having this issue. I don't even get on my internet but three times a week to do a little homework and before I'm even two weeks into the plan month I have somehow, according to Exede, used half of my data. I very rarely use social networking on my computer, since I prefer using it all on my phone and all the computers in the house are set to where they don't connect automatically, so nothing is happening on the internet unless I want it to. No one in my house even uses the internet, besides me. What do you think could be causing this problem for me?
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also, I do agree that nowadays with the crazy amounts of ads and the videos that automatically load and play on FB seven hours would eat up massive amounts of data. It may not have been using up your data so much in the past, but FB is now plagued with ads and stupid videos and it eats up tons of data. I am having trouble keeping within my cell phone data limit because of it, and on a computer it just eats up even more data. You should adjust your browser settings to help you save data.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Kelly, if you are brave, and haven't done so already, PM one of the mods here.  I  understand they have some pretty nifty tools to look specifically where your usage is going.  I know talking to the tech support and customer service with this company is a bit of a crap-shoot, and you'll likely to lose your bet, but, it's still your best option for finding out exactly what might be using your data if you have multiple devices.  You can always install network monitoring software on your devices, both computers and mobile devices, that will show you exactly what is using your bandwidth and how much, but, of course, the more devices you have, the more complicated that becomes.

This, of course, assumes the data issue is on your side.  The exede reps will likely never admit it (and, it's certainly unusual), but if your dish is not aligned properly your usage will seem very out of wack, and you it's always possible you can bad equipment that can cause the same thing.  But, realistically, those cases (bad equipment, not badly aligned dishes) are going to be very rare, in most cases, data issues are controllable by each individual customer.
Photo of ExedeSherry

ExedeSherry

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Kelly,
I can definitely look into your account, and discuss your data usage with you. Like Starring Matter said, I do have an additional tool to take a closer look into your data. Please send an email with your contact information, and the best time to reach you to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Starring Matter...They don't sell equipment.  Why do you think they can offer free installations so often?  They're selling contracts.  That's where the real money is.  Been there-done that.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I still find it a bit odd so many seem to have unexplained data usage when I have never had that happen and, I have been a ViaSat internet customer since 2007. (first WildBlue and then Excede.)

I have gone over a total of 3 times, 1 - new to satellite internet, did not realize I should have purchased a larger package so, I upgraded to get more bandwidth. 2&3- because I allowed my stepson to use my connection when he was staying here and, he "forgot" to wait until 12:15 AM to download a movie. I bought more.

As for the price, not bad really when you consider what cellular providers charge and,. what HugheNet and WindStream charge.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Gone over 3 times?  First time I went over was ten gigs in a week.  Graduate school, and had to purchase 25 gigs.  Now with 25 gigs we get 3 weeks for 130.00.  Yes, I suppose I could quit school and get a better deal by just keeping the 25 gigs, but somehow that doesn't seem fair.  At 39.99 with my phone company, it's a little slower, but I can go all month as much as I want.  You don't think 130.00 per month is bad for three weeks of internet service?  My cellular company gave me unlimited for 99.00 per month, and Charter is unlimited for 59.99 per month.  As for HughesNet, we had them for two years at 59.99 monthly, and without changing any of our browsing, NEVER got an overage.  Don't know where you're getting your facts.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Or simply reduce usage a bit. At 25 GB, that's just a a bit over 800 MB per day and, you do have the LNFZ for downloading, uploading or, streaming things.

Yes Cable/DSL is cheaper but, since there is no such thing where we live (wouldn't have satellite internet if cable/DSL were an option. Sure I get unlimited on my cell phone - IF it had signal out here, and IF I used only the phone but, that for me means drive 32 miles, park in a store lot, hope they don't run me off for sitting in my car using the internet.

Dial up - useless and max speed of 24kbps and, that's assuming it doesn't rain and, no one else on my road makes or revives a phone call to slow it down/disable it entirely. Very few sites even load on that slow of a connection. Phone as a hotspot, if it had signal at my house would be 10.00 per GB, so that's 250 for what I get from Excede for 130.

So yes where I live Excede is a fair price for satellite high speed internet. HugesNet has even worse data plans at comparable prices and, Windstream is not available to me so, won't even give me a price.

Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
You live 32 miles from a store?  You in Texas, or in the plains of South Dakota?  So anyway, it sounds like I need to make some changes.  My husband gets up at 4:30 in the morning to go to work, and help me pay for school, so I'm not going to ask him to stay up past midnight so that he can go on the internet.  My school (Online) requires the use of facebook, and chat rooms for classes each week, and some of the research we are required to do is presented on video.
My husband and I are going to have to sit down and discuss this it sounds like.  I'm not going to spend a great deal of time trying to learn uploads, downloads, streamers, and background runners, so we will have to decide what we will do.  It sounds like you are pretty sure that 130.00 is a real bargain for 25gigs.  But that 25gigs only carries us for three weeks.  So I guess we either use less, or buy even more.
The problem I seem to be having is that, even though I keep hearing about their customers buying more, they still seem to keep going over.  Even though they aren't using more.  
As I figure 25 divided by 21days rounds to 1.2gigs per day I'm using.  So in order to gaurantee 31 days without interuption, I need to purchase an additional 12 gigs.  That's an additional 120.00 per month more.  Add that to the 130.00 + taxes and whatever other fees there are, and we will be at between 250.00 to 300.00 monthly for internet service, that used to cost 69.99 per month with HughesNet with no overages.  That's the cost of a new car!  I guess we can move to the city, and I can attend on campus.  Don't know.
I just think it would be more fair if they could perhaps offer an unlimited package at 150-199 per month.  Would that not be fair?  Really?

Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
And honestly, I can't say that I totally agree about the "High" speed.  My daughter has underground cable, and when we visit her twice a year we use hers.  I am always amazed at how it makes satellite seem like dial up compared to hers.  Just saying, she gets faster, more of it, and for half the price.  No offense Bev, but if you think 130.00 + tax for three weeks of service is a bargain, then you are probably already out of grad school!  LOL!
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hey, What's an LFNZ?
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

LNFZ = Late night free zone
LFNZ = Late free night zone (I think the F and N are swapped)

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
No, I live 17 Miles from a store, It's Arkansas so, never far from a Wal Mart but, there is no WiFi there and, only one bar of cell service even in that tiny town. It's 32 miles to internet via cell phone or, public WiFi.

No I pay 130.00 per month and, have service all month. Now if I happen to be kind to a friend or relative and allow them to use my router (I'm the only one with internet on my road) thenb I may go over my allotment, depending on what they need to do and, be slowed or have to buy another GB that month but, I have internet access all month long fo my 130.00. (soon to be 150.00 now that I'm in the process of adding Excede Voice.)

As for school, well I do have a BA, that's it. Hubby doesn't even have that, just a CDL (truck driver's license.)
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hi Bev!  We live on the Arkansas/Missouri line!  West of Branson, and north of Eureka Springs.  A place (not a town lol) called Eagle Rock, MO.  We're on Table Rock Lake.  I love it here, but the peace and tranquility is in fact a trade off for convenience.  I work in Bentonville, Ar, And my hubby works in Holiday Island, AR & a job in Missouri too.  We're practically neighbors! Nice to meet you! LOL
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I do actually know where that is. Hubby used to drive for a company that delivered to Wal Mart DC in Bentonville a lot and I rode with him. the company yard was in IL so, we got pretty close to you quite a bit. I'm down closer to Texarkan, but enough north and east to be in the "redneck" boondocks. We live along the Little River, like you gorgeous, quiet, peaceful, and we are pretty well free to have the critters we want and do as we like with our land but, we definitely give up convenience and, a few services to get that.

We are fortunate my hubby is a truck driver, for another IL based company since the one that used to go to Wal Mart went bankrupt. (He took a great job with the competition that helped put the first company under LOL.) I stay at home, telecommuting on an as needed basis since we really don't need two incomes with what he earns.

Only problem ATM is that we have one vehicle and, he now gets to be home every night (company has not seen that truck at all since the sent a mechanic down to work on it in our driveway last December.) He takes our pickup to the small truckstop he prefers to leave the semi in (it's big and hogs the driveway and then some if he brings it home.) so, while he is at work, I have no way to go anywhere.

I do know how hard it is to get usage under control. The biggest one is to disable Adobe Flash. You can still click on the non loading video areas and choose to allow it for that visit to the site if you need to see the video but, that prevents flash based ads from downloading and eating your bandwidth. (Doing that saves me about 4 GB per month.) Not a ton but 4 GB is 3-5 days more of not being slowed or having to buy more and I do cut it close some months.

This being one of them. niece messed up my computer 2 weeks ago, had to format the hard drive to fix it so, that was a ton of downloads to get it all up, running, updated and restore my personal files. I didn't want to wait for night, so I chose to burn my bandwidth. (under 4 GB left for the next 7 days now) but, that might make it, if not, I'll spend the 10.00 to get another GB.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Suzanne,

Comparing cable to satellite internet is like apples and oranges, granted, they are both fruit, but they are very different in how much they cost to provide to you, and the limitations of that service.   Satellite has all the costs of cable internet, PLUS half a billion more dollars plus for the satellite.  

Bottom line is, if you NEED internet for work or school, then use it ONLY for those purposes.  It sucks, certainly, but in your case, do not rely on your internet for ANY non-essential functions.  Pay your bills over the phone or by mail, use a phone book, ask your friends for restaurant recommendations etc. 

Certainly, one day, unlimited services will be available in your area, but, with satellite, unless you are willing to pay FAR more than $200 a month, it's just never gonna happen. 
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Starring Matter.  I do appreciate your input.  However, while you should read my posts to Jeff below, regarding any entitlements, my concerns are not relative to getting "As much as I want" for what I pay.  I do not recklessly surf for non essential functions.  I pay bills, go to school, check my emails, as does my husband, and look for an occasional health article.  We do however, occasionally look for something to purchase online.
My complaint refers to, the number of people who, purchase more gigs, do not browse anymore than their record dictates, yet still goes over.  I simply would like to see an amount (200-300), whatever, that would allow us to use the internet no more than normal, and not have to face the Shut Down at week three.  Yes it does seem much more than cable, but as for your "Plus a half a billion dollars"?  Not sure I agree.  I've been told that the cost to provide either is comensurate with the cost of doing business, but that, there is not the substantial difference that you have quoted.  Either way Starring, if they were to offer an unlimited browsing package, many of us (whether we liked it or not), would pay it vs having an online chat test that we cannot get into at the last minute, just because I watched one too many required class videos.
I'm not normally this confrontational, but I believe that solid solutions should not always require constant manipulation of something that, many of us do not understand, nor do we want to.  I will pay whatever "Each MOnth", Just provide what I need.  Not asking for a freeby, or handout.
Photo of Jeff Polster

Jeff Polster

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
 "Pay your bills over the phone or by mail, use a phone book, ask your friends for restaurant recommendations etc. "

If you are paying so much for internet, you should not have to live like a caveman.  Most companies charge you to pay bills over the phone with a representative.  And paying by mail almost guarantees you can't wait until that one last paycheck before you pay that one bill before its late.  I have exede and I can tell you, we wouldnt be able to afford it without section 8 housing, Utility assistance, and food stamps.  You can say one doesnt need the internet, but how else do you update your iphone, xbox 360, and tivo??  or download your amazon prime videos to your kindle. 

Photo of Jeff Polster

Jeff Polster

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
and actually, what rural america needs, is a governement subsidy for internet.  You could pay that to the providers to roll out more bandwidth, or give it to the users to pay their internet bill with.  either way.  with how exential the ineter net is, I think the government should foot the cost. 
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
iphone, xbox360, tivo, amazon prime on a kindle?  on MY tax money?  please send me my refund check immediately.  I live paycheck to paycheck on MY money, not yours.  And I sure as hell don't have any of those toys.

If you don't like "living like a cave man" move to an area where satellite isn't your only option.  You chose to live in an area where it costs more to provide you services, you give up the right to complain about the cost of those services.
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
You are wasting your breath on this guy. He is the product of an entitlement culture. You'll never convince him to change. The more handouts he gets the more he thinks he is entitled to. It's an unfortunate path to ruin are country is taking.
Photo of Jeff Polster

Jeff Polster

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
its not on YOUR tax money, its on credit i obtain but never pay off.  Your tax money pays for my food, utilities and housing.  And I didnt choose to live here, its where section 8 put me.  My paychecks go to pay for the internet, Cat supplies like catfood and litter,  my $400 /mo car payment on an 11 year old car because I was assigned bad credit by experien.   my cell phone bill runs about $125 a month, and I recently had to purchase a gym member ship for my teenage daughter becuase she needs to lose weight she is pre diabetic.  so dont tell me i dont work hard.
Photo of Jeff Polster

Jeff Polster

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
god darn right I'm entitled. You have people making 100 200 and even 300 thousand dollars a year who drive Audi and Acura and have nice ass houses. I deserve the same things they got why shouldn't I have the same thing they have
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
With all due respect Jeff.  We are not entitled to the same things that, those who make better money have.  I know a lady, who has never made over 20k per year, yet always has money in the bank, and has a credit score of 800+.  This is because she lives within her means.  I do understand how hard it is for you.  Our daughter has three little ones, is alone, works full time, and is in school.  Her children get medicaid, but she is working to change that.  She does without internet, has no Xbox, and no television.  It's really really hard for her, but she says that, one day she wants to be among those who give back what she received as help.
As for those who make 100-300k a year.  I believe that, we make choices about our lives.  Yes, some of us get stuck with unfortunate circumstances, but most of us who are paid for a living, can't complain that some make more than others, just because we work as hard as they do.  As Americans, we all have the same freedoms, and opportunities.  I am in graduate school, because I want these high prices not to be such an issue forever.  My husband, a saint, works two jobs trying to help us achieve that.  But we don't feel that, the old neighbor who lives down the street, and takes in 275k a year should be required to take less, just because we work as hard, or even harder.  That view would be communistic, a socialistic perception which, if you go back even as far as Hitler, has never worked.  Our neighbor saved his money as a respiratory therapist (educated himself), then saved, and purchased a 401k.  When he retired he bought into a lucrative business.  Jeff, he made better choices than us.  We just always worked hard.  So to say that we are somehow entitled to our share of his wealth is selfish.  I know people think Obama's great because he would take from the rich and give to the poor, but remember this Jeff.  The Bible says specifically "Thou Shalt NOT Steal"...  Robin Hood is NOT a hero.  He was a thief.  The Bible does not go on to say "Unless the guy is rich".  Stealing is stealing, no matter who we take it from.  I believe that, if you want more, then 'achieve' more.  Don't require others to give, just because you feel cheated.  I do pray that your pre-diabetic daughter will achieve her goals.  God bless you.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Just for the record Jeff, my husband and I exceed 100k each year.  He drives a 20 year old F-150, and we paid my car off 4 years ago, and still drive it.  We do not have an Xbox, and live with local Tv channels.
My beef is not that, EXEDE doesn't hand out unlimited internet to everyone.  My concern has always been simply; if we have to purchase more to use the same browsing, why is it that, the more you pay, it seems the faster it's used?  But we are not entitled for 130 a month to unlimited.  I would pay 199 for unlimited, but it doesn't mean I'm Entitled to it.
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Very well said, you are a patriot! 
I was 23 and out of work. Joined the Air Force and used the GI Bill to get my Engineering degree. I worked and went to school at the same time. My wife helped support our family too. I had to move several times to pursue my career. I am now comfortably retired and a cancer survivor. Life was not handed to me but I can be proud of what I have now as I have earned every bit of it. 
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Kudos Bsweep!  This is Suzy's husband.  Thank you sir, for your service.  If there are any Entitlements, you will certainly have earned them!  But as an American serviceman, I'm sure would not expect them.  I am the recipient of bad news from 3 armed forces fatalities in my family in the past.  My two brothers, and earlier on my father.  One Air Force, One Marine, and one Coast Guard.  I know what loss is.  My wife is not, nor has she ever been here for a free anything.  She would like to complete school, and I would like to be able to watch the occasional newscast, without having to purchase more at a moments notice.  All we ask is the ability to position ourselves such that, we get what we need, all month long, without having to keep going in to buy more.  No handouts, just make it happen, at whatever price.  Not unfair, just business.....good business.  HOOOYAHH!
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Ok, it's 1:36 am CST.  I'm gonna check what we've used, then go in (since this is supposed to be freetime) and check our usage, then do some news videos.  I will then return to see what we have used.  If their constant Late Nite ads deliver, I should have used zero anything.  Back in a bit, an hour or so!  Whooppiee!  we'll see.
Photo of Suzanne Watson

Suzanne Watson

• 27 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Ok it's 4:30am and I am still at 2.4gigs so far this month.  I will check back when I get up, and check to see how much I used just to check back in.  If it's minimal then I just need to make sure that I don't ever go online until after midnight again.  If I can make my bosses free me up so I can do that, then I should never use more than a gig a month!  If they won't do that, then I will just have to find a better way.  Hoping to knock back down to a ten gig plan, and never get shut down!  Unless my husband decides to use this during the day again..hope not
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Maybe because WE earned it by learning a trade, having the SAME job for decades, watching our budget, NOT having the cell phone, XBox, Cable, internet, etc... until we could honestly afford it. and, FYI, I still don't have the Jag I want, the old pickup (Siverado) will do for another 4 years until I can pay cash for my Jag.

Yep CASH, no credit needed, that's how we stay out of debt and able to afford the finer things in life - and pay for your needs via taxes as well.

When you are 50, have worked for the same company since you were 30, have paid off the home you OWN and, raised your kids then, you deserve it all, you will have worked hard, cut corners, scraped and saved for years to get it. If you make it before 50 - good on you but, from where you are now, not many do.
Photo of Jeff Polster

Jeff Polster

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I can't keep the same job for one month, let alone a year or a decade.  I have aspberger's and its very hard to stay employed.  As far as "living without", I dont see the purpose to life, if you dont get what you want when you want it.  I certainly see no purpose in life without smartphones, videogames, tv or internet.  those are like basic utilities to me.  Not one day in my life have I gone without a computer, and I was born in 1984.  as a kid, I had a computer IN MY BEDROOM, MINE, since 1989.  We always had some sort of internet, first it was PC-Link, then we had AOL until 1997 when broadband cable modem service was available, then we got that so i could be online all the time without disturbing the phone.  And I have earned things.  I got a job at little sezars at 15 and bought my first computer of my very own.  not a hand me down.  My previous computers were hand me downs from the family computer.  they got one every 3 years so by 15 I had a small network running in my room.  And  yeah, when i was 14 I had knocked up a girl, who I am still with, and we have 1 kid.  We really dont like raising a kid but without having a child we wouldn't get as much in assistance.  I figure I could have a heart attack before 50 so I deserve it all now.  plus, I dont care how much debt i get into.  thats what chapter 7 bankruptcy is for.  The only debt I pay on is our car, because we need a way to get around.  we will end up paying 10,000 for a 2002 olds alero.  thats because rich people stuck it to us and gave us bad credit.  the other debt i incur i have no intent on ever paying.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Jeff - Please tell us you're pulling our leg. If you're not, you're pretty pathetic and a leech on society. I wish I could reach out and slap you.
Photo of Jeff Polster

Jeff Polster

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am not pulling anybodys leg, chain, or wool over anybody's eyes.  I truly act this entitled, and I truly actively seek out ways to get things for free that should be paid for.  And when I see how upset it makes other people, especially republicans, it makes me even happier that I live the way I do.  And as far as the internet goes, I deserve every gigabyte I use.  It amazes me how many people are offended that I game the system.  And how many of you are upset by it.  After what this fascist governement of ours has done to us in terms of freedoms and taking them away.  Arresting people for wearing politically disruptive T-Shirts, arresting people for exercising freedom of press by photographing police.   Taking away our right to yell and shout and be an ass in public.  It may make you happy that I will be leaving this country.  Probably in the next 5 years or so.   As happy as it makes me to be a leech on society and on the credit system,  It would make me even happier if I could pursue my true dream of owning a computer repair shop or at least working for one.  I'm extremely good with computers and have never been able to really hold a PC repair job here in the USA because someone with a degree always comes along to take my job away.  I plan on getting a job in the U.K.  and moving over there to start over.  I cant do that now with a teenager in the house but once she is 18, I can up and leave and start over somewhere else.  

Photo of Bleecker Mel

Bleecker Mel

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Interesting every time I post on this blog I get an usage alert!!  I love how excede wildlblue. mark all our disgruntled comments as "Solved" because someone in an office that IS NOT USING WILDBLUE to access the internet answers our complaints. Hurry up and get me DSL or cable!!1

Photo of Bleecker Mel

Bleecker Mel

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Quote "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."*
* Adrian Rogers, 1931*

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Sounds like my step kids - they all have entitlement disease and for some strange reason think that they are entitled to the world. One simply because he was born, another because of a minor disability, another because he went to prison.

Pfft... all of them can go earn it or make a good effort and, get rid of the extras like cell phones, internet, pets, junk food, soda, tobacco, renting movies, cable, etc... You don't need any of that to live and work and, earn enough to maybe have a few of those things, or all of them someday, if you work at it.

As for minor disabilities, well I am dyslexic and, test borderline Aspergers myself. I have had the same job for 14 years and, have another 17 to retirement.
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
So you think you'll be able to retire in 17 years? There are young kids jumping the border at the rate 9000/day. The kids are approximately 16 years old give or take a few years, uneducated and do not speak English. They will end up in the school system and overwhelm it. Up goes the taxes. They will then most likely get on some kind of assistance. Somebody please tell me where all this money will come from other than people who were successful.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I KNOW I will be able to retire in 17 years. I could now but, that wouldn't allow as much as I want to have to counter inflation and, that's w/o Social Security. I have based my retirement planing on it not being there when I retire from the beginning so, have to have enough on my own to live another 35 years without working if I want to retire.

Home is 100% paid for, like everything we own CASH, no loans, no credit, save a little every pay day until you can pay cash for it PERIOD. Use  check or debit card NOT a credit card. A little interest here, a low rate there, the I gotta have it now mentality is what gets people in debt for life and, forced to either work or rely on the government. You can live just fine w/o any credit, good or bad, you just don't get your wants as fast and, have to have some self discipline not to spend what you are saving for a large purchase in the future. (bought the house when I was 35, took me that long to save up enough to afford to own a home. Lived in the lowest cost rental I could find until then, and moved if rent went over 10% of my monthly net income.)

As for public assistance well, too many get this or that do not need it if they'd get a job and, they could work but won't.
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
...as for data usage I depend on the LNFZ a lot. As soon as the clock ticks past 2400 hrs I start updating and downloading. Last night I also streamed a movie. No shown data usage at all. It has never failed me. A matter of fact I occasionally stream a single low resolution movie during the day on YouTube and all I see is about 100 meg increase in usage. I have learned to hibernate the computer while not in use.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.