Data Usage without Usage

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Thread starting to wander and is getting difficult to maneuver.

I specifically bought a wireless router that can track data down and data up and have been keeping notes daily on how far off Excede is and they are charging me more than what I use. Not by a lot, but based on my router, which I have to believe can easily track what it's doing. I am not sure if the Voice is counting towards my data since it's the only thing that wouldn't be tracked?

Then we left last night to go out of town, I powered down everything in the house, minus the heat and refrigerator, and It said we were at 6.9GB last night when we left, then it was at 7.1GB this morning. I was okay with that because I figured it hadn't updated from whenever it was before and had just tracked the remaining data. But then around noon today it went up to 7.3GB?! How is that even possible?

And finally the third thing is, the 'unlimited time' is not unlimited. On occasion, on weekends, I will stay up and play some games (turn by turn obviously), or stream some shows, but even with my data tracking, somehow Excede still counts some of this as data useage. I even tested it by not using the internet at all for two days, and on the third day I used it only at unlimited hours. I probably used 2GBs of streaming, but I was charged .4GB for it. I even started the streaming at 1AM, and ended it at 4AM to make sure I didn't come close to the 12AM or 5AM limits.

Does anyone have any similar stories? I'm about ready to go to the BBB with this because when I've called, they just assure me that's not happening, but I've been tracking it! I suppose it'd be my word against theirs, but I would be happy to let someone from the BBB double check my work from my end.
This is not what I signed up for and I feel like they are not keeping up their end of the deal.
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Corey I would be happy to take a look at your account and check your usage. I definitely want to get this resolved for you and make sure your LNFZ is working properly. Please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information for assistance. =) 
Photo of Brian Bailey

Brian Bailey

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree I have been in contact with Exceed customer service for three months about unaccounted  usage.  There billing dept has made mistakes on the credits and charged me for 4 extra gigs and state it would take 14 days to credit my account back the money..  I am very frustrated with this company at this time and totaly agree with your statement about usage changing when your not using the service . I have also left the service on for two days with no use and came back directly to the usage monitor and noted a significiant jump in usage.   BBB  Beware

Signed Frustrated user.....
Photo of Nellie Osborne

Nellie Osborne

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
also having problems with this internet provider. pd. my bill on the 5th of the month. had no signal most of the time..spotty at best. when I called they said we had went over our 20 gigs of usage in 8 days. how? no gamers here. my daughter uses it for homework and the occasional you tube videos( which she watches at midnight) threatened to charge me if I terminated my contract( that thing I never have seen). i'm ready to contact bbb myself.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Nellie, if you can send me your info to exedelistens@viasat.com, I'd be glad to go over your usage with you to help determine what's eating it up so quickly. 
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I am having the exact same problem. They have drained 5.8 GB in less than 24 hours, much of it while I was asleep.  We have a secure router, don't game or watch movies.  It drained .2 GB while the modem was OFF.  It drained 1.5 GB during the "free" period.  Our usage has not changed, but over the last week there has been a "spike" and they will not acknowledge it is on their end.  We have 2 laptops and a router.  That's it.   Our router is secure.  I have had it.
Photo of Charlotte Kerr

Charlotte Kerr

• 15 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Same exact problem for me. Secure router, etc.   I have already used 5.2 GB of my 10GB, and none of us have even been home.  Computers are off, phones on cellular data plan.  I've tried talking to Exede about it, they just blow me off.  It is a joke.  We bundled it with Directv plan so we could use their ON DEMAND option, but obviously this has never worked, because we never have enough data to stream anything.  And we pay $60 per month for this.  Unbelieveable!!!!!  Will be changing as soon as it is physically possible.  Have tried getting them to work with me for months, but continue to just rip me off.   Close my requests for help as fast as I can open them.  What a joke.    I will be contacting the BBB as well as any other consumer group I can get my hands on.  I am tired of being ripped off.  
Photo of Molly Ann Krumwiede

Molly Ann Krumwiede

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Same here. We have the 25 go plan and it says we are using it all on social media? WTF! We don't stream we don't watch movies. We skype my son maybe, once a month. WTH is going on here?
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Molly, social media would include things like Facebook. Often times auto-play can be the cause of data usage when on a social networking site. Also, if you leave one of these open in the background of your phone or computer they are constantly updating which also uses data.
(Edited)
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Ditto here. Been on board for 2 years now, and suddenly, just this past Sunday, out of nowhere I get a screen informing me that I have used 100% of my data allowance. Since that has NEVER, EVER happened in all the time I've had this service, and I've made no changes in how or what I use the network for, I think this has to be a mistake--especially since in the past, there were one or two times when I was closing in on my limit a day or two before it was due to renew and I got an email from Excede giving me a head's up about it...yet now I've allegedly used up ALL of my data, and got no warning email about it as had been done before. Sure that it had to be a mistake of some sort, I call tech support, they assure me that yes, I really DID use that much [which I don't buy for one minute], and then offer to give me a free 5GB if I want it.  Of course I say yes, so at 8:30 PM EST Sunday night I go from zero to 5GB, and I figure I'll be just fine until 11/12 when my account renews.

Wrong! Tuesday comes, and @ 3:30 PM EST I get the same screen saying I'd used all of my data allowance. WTF!?!?! This is simply NOT possible. After getting the 5GB Sunday night @ 8:30 PM, I am online surfing the web--no video streaming, no movie or audio downloads, no Skype, no Instagram, no Vine, no on-line gaming or gambling or the like; just very minimal Facebook time reading or making posts, basic website page visits [forums like this one, informational sites] and email--from 8:30 PM to 11:30 PM EST, so that's 3 hrs on-line with only a single device. Monday, on the network for a half-hour between 8:00 AM EST and 8:30 AM EST, again, with just a single device. Off-line and all devices powered off from 8:30 AM EST until 7:30 PM EST, and off again at 11:00 PM EST Monday night. Next time any device is powered up and connected to the network is 3:30 PM EST on Tuesday, 10/29/14--at which time I am again advised that I have used all of my data.

C'mon!?! Really, Excede? I'm supposed to believe this? And here it is Wednesday, and I've only just connected to the network today, and I learn that this morning Excede sent me not one, but TWO emails announcing, "FINAL NOTICE! DATA USAGE ALERT!", informing me that, "Oops! You've hit your monthly data allowance!" And even better, I try to view the usage meter, and gee whiz, there isn't any meter showing when I log in on the portal.

I've got three devices that can and do connect to the network: a desktop PC, a laptop, and an Android tablet. All three are powered off when not in use, all three only connect to the network when I manually elect to do so [no automatic connections], and the router I have is password protected and quite secure, thank you very much. No cell phone connecting, as I don't have a wifi-phone. No televisions or radios connecting--I have the old-school TVs that require a separate box just to receive my satellite TV service, and your basic old-school radios. I live alone, and work full-time, so there's no one else using the service if I'm not doing so--the dogs haven't learned how to turn the equipment on so far. There is NO FREAKIN' WAY that 5 GB of data was used over the course of 7 hours of on-line time when there was . IM-FREAKING-POSSIBLE.

So what's the story here? Of course, the first suggestion I received from tech support was to, gee, perhaps, maybe you should upgrade your plan to allow for more data, hmm?  Is Excede trying to push the basic plan users to a more expensive data plan? I had a feeling that on checking in with the community forum, I'd find that oddly enough I'm not the only customer who's experiencing this sudden surge in the amount of data they are allegedly using, when in truth none have changed anything about their usage and many of them started trying to track exactly what they were using at the times when they were truly connected to the network...

For the most part, I've had zero complaints with the service, until Sunday night when these shenanigans began. Something is rotten in Denmark, methinks.

Edited to add: To make things even more bizarre, I just checked the usage meter again, and it shows that I've used 13GB out of an available 18GB. Not sure how I got 18GB available when I have a 10GB plan, and had 5GB added two times since 10/26/2014, which should have made for a total of 20GB, not 18, but I sure can't have used even all of my 10GB already, let alone 13. This is just plain crazy. Might be time to look into Frontier's web service that recently became available in my area...

(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey hexe, if you can send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, I'd be happy to take a look into your usage and see what's eating it up so quickly. Thanks.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Follow up: Excede Kimberly did look into my situation, but as I expected, returned the same answer I'd gotten from tech support during my two telephone calls to them: On the day I got the overage notice and got the first free 5GB added, "...55% of your data was used for Media, ie Netflix, Hulu, YouTube [nope, don't stream anything, don't watch videos or movies or TV shows] or downloading music, movies, etc. [again, nope, don't do that either]; 40% was used for 'Other Traffic' such as phone/computer updates, generic downloads, things like that." Nope, don't have a phone that connects to WiFi, and didn't do any updates on the computer, tablet or laptop--all are set to notify of available updates but only download when I select to do so.  In short, that may be what they're saying they see, but it sure isn't what was happening here, and I know no one can access my service via my router...so something's amiss back in Englewood, IMO.

Kimberly did mention that she noticed I had rebooted my modem after I'd been notified that I had gone over my usage limit, but I fail to see what that would have to do with it, since I have to reboot my modem regularly [at least 2-3 time per week]--it often gets 'hung up in a cycle' [that's what tech support called it when it first happened 2 yrs. and I had no web access at all].

Oddly enough, though, after having the second 5GB of free data added by the company when I allegedly blew through a full 5GB in less than 48 hrs, I ENDED the billing period with a total usage of little over 13GB out of a total of 18GB for that month. How was that possible? The math doesn't even work out correctly: my allotted 10GB plus the first free 5GB, plus the second free 5GB a day & a half later, equals a total amount of available data usage during that billing period of 20GB--yet the Excede site meter indicated that I'd only had 18GB available in that period. Where did the additional two GB go, I have to wonder? 

I've changed nothing about the way I use the service,I've made no changes in equipment, I've changed nothing about how my programs and applications are running or how I update them, and I've NEVER even come CLOSE to approaching my limit any sooner than 24 hours before the new billing cycle began...and so far, my usage for THIS billing cycle is exactly where I've always found it to be: I've used 4.2GB [41%] of my 10GB so far, and there's 8 days left before the cycle renews again. Yep, that's in line with my typical monthly usage. I will be watching this like a hawk from this point forward, because I KNOW it is simply not possible for me to have used 10GB over the course of 21 days, and it is simply IMPOSSIBLE for me to have blown through 5GB in less than a day and a half, when my monthly usage for the past 2 years has always been between 5 and 9GB consistently.  As Vizzini said in "The Princess Bride": INCONCEIVABLE!

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I cannot provide why I stated you had rebooted your modem without looking at our previous case, which I cannot locate based on your username on here. I would be happy to address the above concerns and figure out what's going on with the GB math here. Just shoot me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com if you're interested. Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Alpern

Dave Alpern

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Holy crap, I had the same experience - For months we were using right around our data cap, then suddently our usage tripled overnight - we run through a month's worth of data in 12 days, Exede Kimberly tries to help me figure out how we're suddenly using so much data, says it's mostly video streaming, I say we only stream during the supposedly free period.  She tells me she's going to dig deeper but we never got anywhere, they give us free extra data, but suddenly we're no longer burning through our data as fast and at the end of the month half the free data they gave us is unused.  What a coincidence! Then the next month we use up our entire allotment in 12 days again.
(Edited)
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Have you turned all of your Windows updates off? That was my problem when I first started with Excede, but now I have my computer set to not update, and it is also off most of the time. Most of my usage comes from email through my cell phone, which is also set to not update, or to ask me if it's a full system update.
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I control all updates, which are done during the "free" period.  This is not on our side.  Cell phone is off, and when turned on, wireless is off.
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah... Same boat as me then.
Photo of Vicki Johnson

Vicki Johnson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
They are telling us that the usage is due to 'uploads'....help me here, but an upload would be something I am sharing TO the internet...right?  We do not youtube, or FB, only check emails and look at a few other sites, maybe print off a screen....Help!  this is so frustrating!
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Upload usage that is unexplained is frequently a virus.  Run an alternate anti virus program, such as malwarebytes.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Elizabeth, if you can shoot us an email and we can look into this for you to see what's going on. Thanks so much.
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have already called 5x, emailed at least 5x, and been blown off each time with platitudes about gaming, streaming video, etc.  All devices were turned off last night an additional .2 GB used when I got up.  I have "shot many emails" already.  I am sure you can find them.
Photo of Manuel Martinez Jr.

Manuel Martinez Jr.

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
HEY, IS THERE A LAWER OUT THERE ANYWHERE THAT CAN HELP US THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP THIS COMPANY GOING, BUT WE ARE GETTING SCREWED HERE.
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
^I had called countless times as well. At least this time was the first time they even looked at my account instead of just assuring me it was my fault. They are resetting my routers unlimited time, so I'm going to give that a go for now, but I'll still be tracking my data.
Photo of Gary Fox

Gary Fox

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I've had a similar problem running over the last 3 months.  I thought the problem was resolved because I didn't have any spikes in usage for a month, had a 5 gig burst over night.  My original issues was "closed" so now I have to fight all of the same battles over again.  Highly frustrating to say the least.

Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
No kidding.  I love the way they "close" the issue as soon as they send you a boilerplate "response" email which reveals that they did not read your email at all.  Then, they tell you to call, so you can spend 30-60 minutes on the phone re-explaining the issue, being told not to game, stream, etc., doubting you when you say that you are not, doubting you when you say the router is secure, ignoring you when you tell them that GB drained when you were totally and completely offline.  Awesome support and accountability.
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Does anyone know the delay between data you used and when the website updates? If it's immediate, then mines even more off, but I assume it's delayed a bit.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
When all is working well, every 15 minutes. However, in the past Exede has stated it may take up to 24 hours for the meter to display your actual usage.

When bored and not doing anything, I can actually observe the handshake that occurs every 15 minutes (like clockwork) to get usage from the Viasat modem.          
Photo of ThankfulForExede

ThankfulForExede

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What you are seeing is only the system obtaining usage data from the modem. It still may take additional time to update the tables used by the webpage. It depends on a handful of factors - server loads, updates, outages, etc.  I'm not sure, but I believe the tables where the webpage obtains its information are not the "authoritative" tables.  I seriously doubt they wait up to 24 hours after an overage to throttle the connection. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
That's exactly why I qualified my statement with "when all is working well". Back a year or so ago, I actually tested it when on the night before my reset I was near my 10GB cap - I intentionally uploaded a file to ensure I would go over the cap (when the usage meter display would reset to zero at 0000 UTC rather local time), waited for the expected handshake, checked my email and sure enough with a minute or two, received my email saying I'd exceeded my thresh-hold. Other tests have shown, that the usage meter is updated within a minute or two after the handshake (near real time), when all is working well.  As stated, Exede has indicated it may take up to 24 hours to display your actual usage - largely due to the factors you've indicated but my guess is the usage is retrieved by invoking web service to get usage information from the authoritative data source. When you get a "usage cannot displayed at this time" message, it's likely that that the web service simply can't be accessed from the server displaying the information (and I've seen that for days in the past) .

Actually all it takes is 1 byte to see a .1GB increase when rounding under the right circumstances.

In two years, I've had no issues with Exede metering other than one usage spike that wasn't resolved about a year ago. The only complaint I have is that the current usage meter is insufficient for most users to get a grasp on their usage - it's even worse than the old Wildblue usage meter which I had to rely upon for 7 years. Exede does themselves no favors by failing to address the weak usage meter.       
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I cannot vouch for anyone you have spoken to previously but I can vouch for myself. I am here to help and listen. If you change your mind, I am just an email away. If not, I hope you have a good rest of your day. Thank you.
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My data just went up .1GB since I've been at work. Not sure why/how.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Just a guess, but verify that your router is configured to not respond to ping requests from the WAN (i.e. the internet). Also if your router has a firewall, ensure it's enabled and configure to only allow traffic you want.

Needless to say this is where a better usage meter would come in handy - specifically one that categorizes upload and download activity - two ways that usage can be burned.              
(Edited)
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Mine does show accumulated data in and out based on time, but it doesn't show what MAC address and where the data came from. I wish it did. I only have a computer (desktop), and then two cell phones connected.

The ping requests is something to look into, ans I don't turn on the firewall because I can't configure it how I want it exactly. It doesn't get specific enough for me. I still would be surprised if the pinging would account for more than a kilobit or two at a time, which would take a really long time to get to .1 gig.
I appreciate the advice though! I'm all ears for any advice.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Pings are small, but can be large and numerous when there's malicious intent involved. It's rare for consumers to be targeted but you never know - reference was to the Exede usage meter which only gives a cumulative total. Dig into that firewall section of the router's manual.                
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Alright, I'll look into that. What would you recommend I bock for malicious pings? A certain port?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
A ping is simply directed at an IP address (or a target host name). It can be used as probe to see if anyone's answering at that address before other malicious activity; or ping flooding can be used as a denial of service attack. whether that traffic gets counted in your usage isn't really clear (all that's known is that non-specific inbound and outbound WAN traffic to/ from your Viasat modem gets counted towards your usage).

For my router, enabling/disabling response to pings is part of the firewall configuration (i.e. firewall has to be enabled to enable disable pings). Most consumer grade routers that have a firewall generally default to an appropriate configuration - but it varies by router brand/model.

You can also look at Exede Usage Spike at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=a2ce79a039d01d7d&id=A2CE79A039D01D7D!120&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=...

Beware that document is about 512KB for those counting their bytes. It details the one and only spike in usage I had that was never resolved, but gives an idea of how different players in the pipeline come up with different numbers and are counting apples vs. oranges. In my case, I concluded it was something beyond the Viasat modem from where I sit but never received a definitive answer.

(Edited)

ThankfulForExede

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
If your problem is being caused by malicious pings, which is possible but unlikely, setting your firewall to ignore them will only stop half the usage, at most. Although your firewall may not respond to the ping packet, it will still receive it.  Normal ping packets are small - 28 bytes (20 byte IP header + 8 byte ICMP header) + the payload, which is commonly either 32 bytes or 56 bytes (default varies by OS). Since its being received and then retransmitted (unless your firewall ignores pings), the affect is really double but still miniscule. But if someone is being malicious, the payload can be up to 65,500 bytes (theoretically it is unlimited, but because of the "ping of death" in the 90s, most systems are set to a 64k limit).  That can add up quickly, even if your firewall isn't responding. But I really doubt that's where your problem lies,unless you pi55ed off a bored geek somewhere along the way. ;-)  

ThankfulForExede

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
.1 gb isn't much.  The overhead in maintaining the link between your modem and theirs could account for a big chunk of that in a day, especially if you're dropping packets between your modem & your dish (damaged cable, wet or corroded connections, etc). Add that to the 15-minute usage queries and other administrative tasks, and 100mb or so isn't much.  Whether or not that data should be counted against your cap is another story, but at this time it all is from what I can tell.  Now if you were to remove power from your modem (actually unplug it from the wall) and your usage continued to increase AT ALL after a few hours, there isn't any other explanation other than their information is incorrect.
Photo of Corey

Corey

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
All of my gear is new, LMR-200 (not the best but much better than walmart cable), and I lost .2gb today while at work, and nothing turned on.

That's a great idea though. I have an extra timer lying around (I use them to plug my diesel truck's block heater in an hour before work), and it would work perfect to turn the modem off while I was at work.
Photo of Michael Funk

Michael Funk

• 6 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I've read countless complaints speaking of this same issue. I have hours and hours of time invested into phone calls with Exede on these same, reoccurring, problems. I have cataloged all of the corresponding transaction confirmation numbers for each individual transaction that Exede says they will enact to try to help me out. Ever since my first week of having this service I have been disgusted and angry with this company. I knew from before I had it installed that I would have to give up online gaming, so I did. I kept my internet usage to a minimum and avoided online gaming as well as prolonged media streaming. Pretty much kept everything to the "Late Night Free Zone". I have a secure network that I monitor closely, no one uses my internet except for me. Regardless of all of this, I watched helplessly as my data usage soared out of control. My entire first month's data allotment was gone on day 6. It used 3 gigs while I was asleep on day 5, with my computer off and no other devices using my wi-fi. When I hit my data cap on day 6, I called and complained about it, stating that there was no way that I was responsible for that much data usage. I was given "FREE" gigs added to my account and told that it had to be something on my end. I've been working with computers and networking for about 15 years now. I am pretty savvy to the tech universe and I can say without a doubt that I am not at fault for this usage. Ran into the same issue shortly after, and was forced to call back for more "FREE" gigs. I also noted at that point in time that there was a huge amount of people complaining in the community about this same issue of data just seeming to vanish without any real explanation. I also noted the new "FREEDOM PLAN" being offered to new customers. I asked about it and was told that I am ineligible because I am not a new customer. I tried explaining how I have only been with Exede for TWO WEEKS at this point and that I consider that pretty new. I was told that they can't do that for me and that they would just keep adding "FREE" data, 5 gb at a time as I needed it.

I went the rest of the month with barely even turning my computer on and went to sleep on the final night with 2.5 gigs left on my data allowance. Shut down the computer, made sure there was no wi-fi devices connected to my network, and headed off to bed. When I woke up the next day, day 1 of my new month of data, I went to check facebook and my e-mail. Something was wrong, my internet was going unbelievably slow. I proceeded to log into my Exede portal to identify the problem...that is when I was greeted with a full "meter" showing that I had already used 100% of my data with 29 days remaining until my next reset. It was also at this time that I noticed that I was charged for every one of those "FREE" gigs of data they added to my account in the prior month. Obviously infuriated with this, being as how NOTHING was on to even use my data, I called Exede to solve this issue. I spent over 45 minutes on hold and then the call was just lost. Called back, waited another 40 minutes and finally spoke with someone. Fast forward a bit, and after several phone calls and hours invested into trying to solve this with them, I was told I would be credited the money I was charged for the data that was intended to be "FREE", on top of that they said they would reset my data back to 0% for the month, AND add 5 more gigs "FREE", AND credit me $25 for the troubles, AND add a free month of service. The total amount that I was being compensated for came to around $180-$190, which would basically mean I wouldn't be paying anything for the next few months. I spoke to a supervisor who couldn't find any problems with my end, and also was forwarded to a tech who said he had never seen anything like what he was seeing from his end for my account. He told me that my data was being shown to be used, but when he looked into detailed views of it that it showed my data as pretty much all being used during my "FREE ZONE", which is the reality of the situation. He assured me he would escalate my case and get back to me as soon as possible via e-mail when further investigation occurred. I made this call from outside of where I worked, I was not home, and my computer was shut off. Needless to say, when I got home my data was not reset even though I have a transaction number written down for their promise to do so. They did however add the 5 gigs. I was tired of wasting my breathe so I let the data reset go and just called back when I needed the other 5 gigs added. As the month went on things seemed normal with data usage going very slow, appearing to truly reflect the amount I was actually using. I ran dry towards the end and just sucked it up and used it during the "FREE ZONE".

Now month 3 begins. I wake up for the fresh start of my third month with this garbage service, and guess what? DATA CAPPED AGAIN with 29 days remaining. My computer was off, no wi-fi devices connected to the network, but somehow I used my entire month of data again during my sleep. It gets better tough, remember how I was to be credited for all that prior crap I dealt with, how I wouldn't be paying anything for the next few months, remember? Well my bill was $20. Curious as to why I went into my bill and checked it out. They credited me a lot of what they said they would, but the three times I called in for the "FREE" 5 gb "GREAT GIG GIVEAWAY" in the prior month, well THEY CHARGED ME $10 for each gig, that's $150 they charged me for this "FREE" data add-on. I called and inquired about this, and clearly displeased as my account is set up for auto-pay. The lady I spoke with seemed like a half-wit as it took me explaining a good 5 or 6 times to her that I was charged $150 for the "FREE" gigs, she kept running with the notion that my bill was "ONLY $20", and I kept trying to make her notice the fact I shouldn't be charged anything for the next few months because of the credits to my account. She said "they were credited to you, that's why your bill is only $20"...it took several times before she realized that OOPS, Exede charged me for free data so much that it negated all of the credits to my account and actually made me owe them money again the very next month after I paid double what I should because of the "FREE" data I was charged for month 1. So she said she would credit me $150 to my account which will reflect in my future bills...yeah, right. I was given a transaction number for both the $150 credit and a 5 gig "FREE" add-on that I am sure I will be charged for. I was then abruptly forwarded to a tech support. Nothing was resolved, this tech said that my data was being used up on "media". The most vague shit I have ever heard, they can't even go in and see what time of day it was being used. The fact my data was all gone when I woke up, meaning I was asleep and my computer was off, was all disregarded. I was left with no answers. Best part is, when I got home from work (I was not home when I made this call) the 5 gigs that she JUST added was already used up and I was at 100% usage. So here I am almost 2 weeks into month 3 with Exede and I can't even use the service I pay for until after midnight.

This is all garbage and a broken system, and subsequently a broken company. It is by far the worst thing I have ever spent money on. The service is broken with obvious flaws in their data monitoring since it it such a wide-spread issue and one of the most complained about topics within the community...the data cap is stone-age in this media intensive world we live in now (they clearly agree since they are striving to offer this freedom plan)...there seems to be poor quality communication within their team...the customer support is garbage with empty promises and vague, generic, "solutions"...I just feel that they do not care about making the customer feel appreciated, and nothing gets solved. The problems just continue to compound and it is getting pretty repetitive already and I have only been with Exede for two and a half months. If nothing drastic happens from Exede to resolve this and to prove to me that I am an appreciated customer to their multi-million, if not billion dollar company, then I am going to the BBB and writing the Attorney General about them. I will also seek to set in motion a class action law-suit as there are a huge amount of customers dealing with issues similar to the ones I have mentioned, with nothing tangible being done about it. Not an empty threat, just a promise and last resort for a mistreated customer.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
are you sure you were really charged for the free gbs?  when I looked at my bill the first month I got free gbs. I thought i was being charged too...until I got to the very bottom of the itemized section where that amount was written off...no charge for the free gbs after all....
Photo of Tim Singer

Tim Singer

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
That is my story as well. Totally fed up with Exceed. It has been a year now . I have the 25 GB plan 3 weeks in and maxed out already. I have 2 laptops that are on for 2 to 4 hours a day. Have down loaded programs to keep track of data and I am not using that much. And like everyone else think I'm being charged for the free nights. Do not get exceed. No customer services I have called and called and they dont see a problem. Heck no just keep paying your bill. And law suit please let me know. I will happily join.
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
And a contract is not a contract if one side (Exede in this case) breaches it.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Michael, want to make sure I understood what you were able to determine about where all that data usage was coming from....are you saying that at one point it was determined that your LNFZ usage was being metered instead of being free like it is supposed to be?  I ask, because I am so curious about all these complaints about mysterious disappearance of large amounts of data.  I also wonder if people who have this problem live in any particular areas or area....I live in central va and have never experienced unaccounted for data disappearance...not in the 3 yrs I had hughes or in the few months I have had exede...so I am so curious as to why this happens in some cases but not others....
Photo of Dave Alpern

Dave Alpern

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Lorrie, last month we used up all of our 15 GB of data less than 2 weeks into the month, and our service was slowed down - this was out of nowhere, we'd rarely run out of data before, and never so quickly.  After we were slowed down, for several nights in a row I stayed up til 1 AM to use the late night free zone, and found that it wasn't coming on at midnight like it was supposed to, we had slow speed right until around 12:30, sometimes 12:45.  I use a piece of software to record streaming shows off of netflix and Hulu, and usually start it right at midnight, and if they were charging us for that streaming between when the LNFZ was SUPPOSED to come on, and when it REALLY came on, that would explain why suddenly we were using our data 4x as fast as we were just a few months ago.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Michael, this is quite the experience you've had with us and I will do what I can to help resolves theses issues. If you can send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, I will review your billing and make sure everything is in order with your credits and see how this all happened. I have never heard of anything like this happening with data either but I'm sure we can do something to figure this out for you. Please give us a chance to change your perspective. Thanks so much.
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Well, actually you HAVE heard of something like what Michael describes.  I described the same thing, but now get to wait to find out how much you nick me for supposedly gratuitous paybacks of data.  I am now at 8.2 GB for two days, light usage, with my wireless turned off for several hours throughout the day.
Photo of Kevin Hanes

Kevin Hanes

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I have been very curious about this. I began thinking about it a few months ago, however never looked into it. I have the 25Gb plan and still end up ordering 3-7GB extra a month. We are heavy users though. But it still seems like it shouldn't be used up in 15-17 days into a billing cycle (some months). I have talked to the landline services in the area here, to far away from something for DSL, and the cable, well I don't even have a line available at the pole. They will not string 1/4 mile of new line to service the 8 homes...... Complete crock of HS! Nothing but a big Damned racket.........

ThankfulForExede

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I think there may have been some miscommunication.  I've worked in this field for too many years to mention, and I've never heard of a company that didn't want to make more money.  Try contacting that cable company again, and talk to their business manager. Explain that you're only 1300 feet from their network and would like to help them extend it. Ask them to quote you a price on the installation.  Ask them how much they would deduct for each contract your neighbors sign. If there aren't any significant impediments (right-a-way or easement issues, technical limitations, etc.) and you can get 10 years worth of contracts signed (you + 4 neighbors @ 2 years each), I can't see why they wouldn't be out there next week stringing cable.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Been there... 1850 feet, $6500, 4 neighbors along the way. I was the only one willing to pay my share when it came time to sign - so upgraded to Exede after Wildblue for 7 years. I need more affluent neighbors I guess.     
(Edited)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I know that is a chunk but if one person offered to pay the whole amount would they have run the cable?  We want to try to get the FIOS line run eventually that is 1.5 miles away, not sure which of the people along the route would be willing or able to pay in if we got a quote but we'd certainly be willing to finance a lot of the run if it can be done.  Just wondered if your quote had to be split between everyone?  Or if the cash showed up would they have run it?  Thanks just curious.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Jacqueline,

Yes, they would have run the cable at the quoted price regardless of who or how many payed for it - I specifically asked. I also asked if I would receive any credits if those along the route eventually subscribed and the answer was no. As part of the quote, they came out and did a site survey, which includes how many potential subscribers they can anticipate having once the infrastructure is in place (it's more than simply the cable itself).

As noted elsewhere, several months later one of those neighbors asked: when are we getting cable? My reply was: what's this we stuff? I went with Exede... and now 3 of the 4 neighbors have also.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info.  Yep, your neighbors hoped you'd pay and they could benefit without doing anything  :P  We have quite a mix of different providers around here, its kind of confusing to figure out what is where.  I figured out who the land line phone provider would be so maybe they are a place to start since they have cable run but I'm sure it would have to be upgraded to provide internet service.  Hopefully some of the neighbors along this route will be interested in investing once we figure out something.  Most apparently use a cell phone provider to provide access right now.  
Photo of Joseph Buckles

Joseph Buckles

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are so lucky in our neighborhood. Earlier this year we approached Comcast who has the western side of our hill covered and Antietam cable who has the eastern side covered to lay cable in our neighborhood of 66 houses.  Comcast didn't respond but as I sit here now Cable has been run by Antietam. They started in August we hope to have the lines run to houses by November.  Goodbye Satellite TV and Internet hello 50mbs unlimited cable!  The cable company said they would be spending about $120K to run the cable lines.  I figured if they sign up just 30 homes at $110/mo they will have a three year pay back.  For anyone holding out hope for DSL forget it. Nobody is investing in it anymore. Verizon turned DSL on for us back in 2006 but only put in 30 modems for 66 homes and only enough trunk bandwidth for 10 homes.  They get less than dial-up speeds.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Congrats to you guys!!  Enjoy!  We are going to start getting more aggressive in figuring out who has the FIOS a mile and a half north and hope to figure out a way to get something run down our way.  It has been really frustrating to move from a more remote place (we were the ONLY house on the mile up there) and have outstanding internet service to a place much more populated and not be able to get good internet service.  Here there are at least a dozen houses in a mile and a half plus close houses just off the side roads so LOTS of potential customers.  We just grabbed the Verizon "double data" deal and bumped up to 30 GB with just a small jump in price to what we were already paying them so we may find we can use that alone until we get something else run here and get completely off satellite since I don't see any serious movement toward offering the Freedom plan in this area any time soon.  With Verizon we'd still have to be careful but we don't have to worry about being throttled and their overage charges are identical to what Exede wants people to pay for extra anyway so we'll see how it goes.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Elizabeth, sorry for the miscommunication. I have never heard of data being used up within the first few hours of your cycle reset. I don't want you to think I didn't read your post thoroughly.
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Well, my concern is that you are doing nothing about it.  Three days into the billing cycle, we are at 9.4 GB.  .6 GB were drained during last night's "free" period even though all of our computers were TURNED OFF.  I unplugged your defective modem for 2 hours this morning.  Before unplugging, 9.GB.  I came back and you had drained another .4 GB.  This is fraudulent and nothing more than theft, not to mention breach of your end of the contract.  We don't game, play videos, or do anything like that.  our usage has SPIKED since Oct. 6, even though our usage is unchanged, or reduced during that period.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I never received an email yesterday after I offered to help but it still stands today. I can't help until I receive an email with your information.
Photo of Michael Funk

Michael Funk

• 6 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Sent that e-mail yesterday, still waiting...
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Me too.  Got an email yesterday promising to research the problem and get back to me in two hours.  Yesterday.  Still waiting.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Elizabeth,

I apologize for the extended response time.  I will be contacting you shortly regarding your data usage.  I want to make sure I have researched your usage history prior to contacting you again after my initial response. I appreciate your patience.  ExedeKarmin
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I have not received an email from you but I will check with my team to see if they have.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I see that Exede Karmin responded to the email you sent in. When she arrives in the office, I will make sure to get it transferred to me so I can assist you.
Photo of Elizabeth Best

Elizabeth Best

• 11 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I lost .4 GB last night with everything disconnected. I have set my router so only the 3 MAC addresses in my house can access it.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 6 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Corey,
I will be happy to join you at the BBB.  We have had horrid service and each time we call we get the same story......"there is nothing wrong with our internet".  Our story is a bit different from yours, but I actually talked to the same guy two days in a row and the second day he denied ever talking to me (Kevin).  I have also asked for a usage report, which they refuse to give.  I have a hard time believing they don't track it.......they sure as heck know when you go over!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.