Data usage vanishes

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I have been using Exede for almost 2 years.  It is obvious that my usage is is disappearing into hyperspace or I am simply being defrauded like so many others on this forum. I need the Internet for my business so  I signed  up for 25Gb and pay $129 plus a month.  Sometimes my allowance disappears by the 10th of the month! I am forced to buy more. I have just wasted half an hour on the phone with Garret (I majored in IT - woo hoo).  I have spent over 40 years in the computer and network business. His first suggestion is someone is stealing my wi-fi. I live on a 4 acre lot miles from potential wi-fi bandits. Next he suggests I monitor my usage.  He trots out  what usage categories I have used; media downloads, file exchange etc.  He cannot differentiate whether the usage was in the so called free period or not.  He then tells me my usage is used up.  I received a notification that I was at 70% the day before yesterday.  Yesterday the service was down most of the day.  Since this is not my first complaint I ask what he is going to do.  He was unable to come up with anything other than suggesting I monitor my usage.
I am distressed to see the numerous complaint like mine.
By the way, immediately after the call I received a message saying my usage had been EXEDED - there's a surprise.
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
If you have any background cloud services enabled, they can burn through many GB in a day.  This includes things like Dropbox, OneDrive, Microsoft Live services, some other Google services, etc.  I used to monitor my usage in a paranoid fashion, and have plugged all of those leaks.
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you JEP. I have spent a lot of time setting up my computer to do downloads between 12 midnight  and 5 a.m, and no they don't over run the time window.  I am fully aware of cloud services soaking up usage.  Thanks for taking the time to reply and offering your advice.  My router can monitor usage and I will have to start policing the activity so that I can prove what I already know.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
You could also use networx as a secondary source to look at your usage and "make your case" (I hear that networx allows you to determine categories of usage)...although I have seen many posts like yours here, I haven't yet seen any examples of the cause being determined to be something on the exede end...only things found to do with invisible usage on the customer end or customer equipment end...I don't mean that the cause is never on the exede end, only that I haven't yet found any real examples...whereas I have seen some examples where customers ultimately did discover there was something going on that they could fix on their end...not exede...I have even seen a couple of posts like that by people with many yrs of IT experience.  
I would love to know more about what really causes such extreme examples of mysterious data disappearance....I have the 10gb/mo cheapest plan and after learning how to fix settings and limit my usage as much as possible, I am amazed at how little I use despite being on and off the internet every day for quite long periods of
time....
for example, my data supply renews on the 16th....today is the 23rd and I have used only 0.8 gb so far...despite even choosing to do some downloads during metered time and doing and even streaming a half hour of a tv show in metered time....I may be the extreme example of the data conserver...I don't watch videos and usually I don't do any downloads or streaming except after midnight...but the discrepancies with a lot of other people are striking and I am curious as to why.
I started a discussion yesterday asking if anyone knew of any concrete examples of mysterious data disappearance which turned out to be because of some exede problem....a funny thing happened....instead of anyone specifically answering that question, it has turned into a discussion of everything everyone can think of to limit their data usage....
Hope your problem can be solved promptly and that you will let us know what it took.
thanks.
Photo of Pam Frierdich-Staley

Pam Frierdich-Staley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
can someone help me find a free program that will allow me to set downloads for free time? I'm on a MAC - thanks
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
check out download.com
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
With a $35 signal booster from Amazon, you can pick up a wifi signal from half a mile away.  I understand with a coffee can, and an unused satellite dish, you can make your own signal booster that will pick up a signal from a mile away.  The days where someone needs to be parked in your driveway to steal your internet are LONG gone, as are the days when "I don't have any neighbors" are a legit excuse.  You MUST secure your router, with a very secure (ie random) username and password.

Not saying this is your issue of course, but, your assessment of your security based on your 4 acre lot is false.
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes my AP Router is secured with a very strong password and always has been.
Thanks for your reply
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Patrick,

You don't indicate whether you have actually secured wireless connections to your router. If not and with the proliferation of consumer WIFI ready devices in the home, it's possible that one or more may be automatically connecting to your wireless network (but not much to go on here) - simply secure it and see which ones complain, if any - while also taking into account everything JEP mentions above. Some of the bandits are well-intentioned, but operate under the false assumption that everyone has unlimited access.      

(Edited)
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes my AP Router is secured with a very strong password and always has been.
Thanks for your reply
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Patrick, I'd be happy to look into this for you if you can shoot me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your information. Thanks so much.
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Response from Kimberly: "Thank you for that information. Now looking at your account, I do see that you called in yesterday regarding your usage. I just want you to know that I will be giving you very similar information as the agent you spoke with yesterday. Hopefully though, I will be able to better explain things and help you to determine where your data is going." 

This is back to square one - why did you bother - to look caring?? Look to your own house first.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I'm sorry Patrick if that sounded like I do not care because I really do. /: I want to come to a resolution with you regarding your data issues. Would you prefer to talk via email or would you like me to give you a call?
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Email only please
Photo of Patrick O'Hearn

Patrick O'Hearn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have never heard from you at all.  Was your response just a superficial bit of PR for Exede?
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
After I had not heard from you for a few days, I closed that email case. Can you please send me a new email and I can further assist you. Thanks.
Photo of charley drumm

charley drumm

• 42 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
looks like the same runaround I get when I complain about my data disappearing. These people would make great used car salesmen.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Charley, we are very sorry to hear that your concerns were not addressed correctly I would love the opportunity to help and review your data usage in detail. Would you please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Thank you. 
Photo of Tracy Hartman

Tracy Hartman

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
WOW! I get 60 GB a month for 119.00 a month.  Where do you live?  I live outside the city limits.  If you call wildblue, not exede they will work with many new plans available.  I was only paying 39.99 for 20 GB when I first signed up.  I can tell you this if your using windows 8 which "I hate it and everyone I know hates".  It pulls GB for all the apps involved. If you disable the apps, then your PC stops working right.   Windows 8 and 8.1 is just horrible, they force you into a new OS and then rob you blind on GB's.  Good luck finding the problem. :) :)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yeah Tracy - With Windows 8/8.1 you have to dump the Microsoft Live login and go to a local computer login to conserve data.  Your computer will still work fine except for the Microsoft Live services.  I'm afraid Windows 10 will be even worse, but we will see what the final release looks like. 
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
You can kill all the data hogs on Win8 and 8.1. As said above on 8.1 you have to change to a local login and on both you have to kill and/or uninstall a bunch of apps before you turn on the internet, but it can be done. I've been running a Win8 computer for over a year and a half with Exede and a Win 8.1 one for a few months and neither use any extra data.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks for the helpful tips you guys! (:
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Tracy, I am confused....are you saying brand new subscribers who don't have wildblue or exede can call wildblue and sign up, and that wildblue has some better priced plans than exede does?  I thought new subscribers could only sign up with exede, and that some people still have the old wildblue plans (with slower speeds) which they can keep, but that new subscribers have to sign up with exede?  
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Tracy is probably referring to one of the Recovery Act plans offered through WildBlue a few years ago. They are no longer available.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Oh, I see.  thanks.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.