Data Usage Test ??

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Today I made a 5 hour test to see if my computer was using data on it's own.

I first connected my computer to my wireless router. 
Then connected to the Internet via FireFox.  Google calendar is my home page (no transmission on its own.

Then I did nothing for 5 hours

During that time I used 1025 Kbytes of data.

FireFox used 947 Kbytes

AVG used 71.2 Kbytes

C;\users\owner\appdata]local\google\update\googleupdate.exe (whatever that is) used     71.26 Kbytes.

Most of the data was used by FireFox.  Don't know how FireFox used it.

I don't know if that is excessive or not but I believe it would only be 147.6 Mytes for 30 days.

What I don't know is how much data usage Exede would show at that rate.  They use such a gross data usage it is hard to compare.

Any Help Old Lab ???
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3882 Posts
  • 3954 Reply Likes
Probably just the amount of data consumed by automatically checking for updates for all three. Assuming 147.6 MB is correct extrapolation to a 30 day period, on the Exede usage meter it would account for .1GB of the displayed amount for the entire 30 day period - a relatively insignificant amount.

Of more importance would be whether the associated applications are set to download and install updates automatically. Any auto-updating applications I have (except for anti-virus) are configured to simply notify when an update is available and I download and install during the free zone (depending on size).

But then again, when I walk away from my computer I close all applications and either sleep or shutdown and no ViaSat modem activity occurs other than the occasional handshakes it engages in. The difference between sleep and hibernate is largely one of power consumption.

If you log off or lock during your absences, be aware of the potential for unattended data usage. Logoff will close any applications you were using and operating system level services are still capable of consuming data. If you lock, applications aren't closed and capable of consuming data as well as operating system level services.

So when leaving unattended it's important to know the differences between simply walking away, lock, log off, sleep, hibernate and shutdown and how they may impact data usage.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.