Data Usage Statistics

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • (Edited)

Today I had a fairly frustrating experience during a 40 minute conversation with ViaSat technical support attempting to get detailed information about traffic statistics.   The agent I spoke to gave information that conflicted with prior agents and then passed me to her supervisor who also did not have good technical knowledge. 

For those interested, Windows 10 Delivery Optimization is a Windows based technology for more modern workstations that will allow the download of one update to a workstations(s) and then the internal to the LAN update of other workstations.  Microsoft developed this capability in response to the complaints of multiple downloads for individual workstations and high Internet usage. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468254/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

The supervisor further refused to understand/acknowledge that there were ways to limit downloads to specific time periods using Group Policy Editor.  That process, if correctly parameterized, will limit the Microsoft download period to the FreeZone period in the early AM and then using the Delivery Optimization process spread the update around the internal LAN workstations.  And as icing on the technical cake she told me that internal LAN traffic was going on the Internet and could be the reason for large data usage. 

All this attempting to get some detail regarding the display of traffic statistics – packets sent, time of day, destination, etc. 

Thank you for listening to me rant about apparently clueless technical support personnel.

Now to my questions – hopefully a ViaSat technical person will participate. 

My topology has internal workstations with a router in front of the ViaSat SB2PLUS_V1_IDU Modem/Router device hereinafter referred to as M/R.  The M/R is in bridge mode and generally seems to work.  The supervisor person acknowledged that this was a valid topology connection.  She said that since I was not using the router portion of the M/R because it was in bridge mode that there was no information available on traffic statistics.  She insisted that there was no valid data at the ViaSat site regarding traffic and that was the way it was.

She further said that I could log onto the M/R locally via a direct cable at 192.168.1.1:8080 and browse around the GUI.  That does not work.

So at this point I have traffic data usage that is ‘off the charts’ relative to what my router reports and a technical representative that say that internal traffic on the LAN contributes to my data usage. 

Is there any way to work with somebody who can actually help?

Photo of Bains9999

Bains9999

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
*** She further said that I could log onto the M/R locally via a direct cable at 192.168.1.1:8080 and browse around the GUI.  That does not work.

Try 192.168.100.1:8080  maybe?

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
If one has never seen SB2+ GUI, then one is not in bridge mode. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
If one is using a double WAN input, with differences in latency, my best guess is this is your data usage issue...router is pumping duplicate requests on Viasat's side, and then dumping them when DSL fetches them.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Is this your Viasat unit?

https://www.exede.com/wifi-modem/

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Type the IP address
192.168.1.1:8080
into your internet browser

If no response, you will have to reconfigure your network

Photo of Bains9999

Bains9999

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
To answer your question, yes that is the M/R that was provided.

To further elaborate, speculation on double packets and other  notions probably are not useful for the known brands like cisco or TP-Link that sell routers that do bandwidth and load sharing for many output ports.  That is the sole reason that this class of product is made and sold.

I have put a packet sniffer on the output port and there are no double packets. 

Speculation is interesting but actual technical facts are the answer.   
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 437 Reply Likes
Sounds like you have the Viasat WiFi Modem (SB2-Plus)

Apparently with that device you access the router utility using: http://192.168.100.1:8080/

The only traffic statistics I'm aware of are at: http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

However, be advised that those are Ethernet Interface statistics not Wan Interface statistics and would not correlate with Viasat usage counts.

Viasat technical folks don't generally participate here; however, a moderator may weigh in and offer to provide you with a data usage review from their perspective. It's a very general, categorized overview of where data is going - generally speaking not detailed enough to actually determine where data is going.  

Photo of Bains9999

Bains9999

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you for the approach.  Unfortunately it does not work. 

I would like to hear from an expert who can tell me if the M/R device will respond in Bridge mode. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Doubt you will. You can email
viasatlistens@viasat.com. They might try to get you an answer.

As for phone support, take everything they say with a grain of salt.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
As I recall and if in bridge mode, only LAN port 1 is active. You might want to connect directly to that port using a PC rather than through your own router if that's the case.

As far as expert help, viasatlistens is your only option (and gets you to the social media team but can forward on tech qwuestions) - other than that, phone. This really isn't a direct support venue - more customer-to-customer self help.

Sorry bout the typo above it should have been 192.168.1.1:8080 for the router utility but others have indicated in the distant past the modem stats are available at 192.168.100.1 for that modem/router
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bains9999

Reset the modem, then try direct connection with one of these addresses:

192.168.100.1:8080<br><br>192.168.1.1:8080

To engage Bridge Mode, requires accessing the GUI...
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Take everything you read here with a grain of salt also ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
You mean we don't all wear Mao suits?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Better make it two grains here.
(Edited)
Photo of Bains9999

Bains9999

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks to those who responded.  Yes, I did directly connect from a workstation to Port 1 on the M/R with no intervening network.   I have tried both addresses mentioned above to no avail. 

I will wait patiently -- possibly an actual ViaSat person can get somebody to answer the factual question of whether the GUI can be addressed once the modem is in Bridge mode.  There is no use interrupting a perfectly fine operation to see if something works when others should know. 

In case you were interested here is a document that discusses ViaSat Bridge Mode
http://wildbluetools.com/content/FS/110/111/I12000_EnableDisableBridgeModemSB2PlusModem.pdf

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 317 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Yes you can access 192.168.100.1:8080 when in bridge mode. I take my modem in and out of bridge mode all the time. You can also view the modem status page. From my testing in bridge mode with a switch connected to Port 1 I can take a few public IP's and do load balancing with them. Seems video stream limit is based per ip as is throttling.... after freedom users got the shaft I moved to this multi wan setup and things are much better.