Data usage problems

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I signed on only 3 days ago and just got a message that I have already used 70% of my data plan. WHAT?!? I watched 2 on demand programs on Direct TV and downloaded some pictures from my phone to my computer. Husband played some games. What's up?
Can someone please tell me what the data hog is in this system?
Also, how can I pull up exactly when my data is "supposedly" being used. I am unable to find that on this site.
Thanks.
Photo of Patti Mitchell

Patti Mitchell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 16 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
On Demand streaming Directv is a huge data hog. So is online gaming. Those two alone could account for the data use you describe. Just letting your Directv receiver be connected to your WiFi will use data and also lead to accidental use of streaming. So drop all those things and you might be all right.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yea anything that you click for as "on demand" uses your internet to download that show/ movie to your DVR for you to watch.  Gaming might be on depending on the type of game.  I have played an online game for last 2 years and never when over when I had HughesNet.  Still on promo here so watching movies and such so don't really know what my normal usage is going to be.  Also Cell phones, if they are on the wireless they update the Apps automatically, because they assume that the wireless is unlimited data unlike your phone plan.  iPhone's espically are set to download the newest iOS while charging and connected to WiFi, along with backing up your phone to the cloud.

Also send exedelistens@viasat.com an email with your account and contact info and they can go over your usage with you and make sure that everything is counted for.  Most likely though it was the 2 "on demand" shows that used most your data.

Anything else we can do to help let us know, there are a ton of us here that have gone through this and can help.

NR
Photo of Susan B

Susan B

• 37 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
But only one show boat :)  I love my exede.
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I am experience the same thing the last two months.  I watched 2 episodes of House of Cards, Netflicks via Roku and the next day I am at 75% of 25G.  Two hours later, I am done with three weeks left before a reset.   Call to Exede and Roku help was their standard spiel: they are clueless.    Starting over tomorrow with 25G and am disconnecting Roku except when streaming.  Anyone have any other ideas?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Ron, you know this is the first time I have seen someone post exactly the process they go through with exede when trying to figure out where data is getting used up in unexpected ways.  I hope a lot of people see what you wrote and start calling exede for this kind of help before they get all upset and come here to just rant.  I know sometimes the problem area isn't found, but customers should definitely contact exede to see if they can help figure the problem out. 
I remember seeing a number of posts here a while back about data usage problems with Windows 8, so I just did a google search and find that apparently all the Windows 8.1 and up DO use excess data unless you know what settings to change.  I read a couple of the tutorials about this problem and different ones give different instructions on what to turn off.  one mentions that you have to turn off the "live tiles" on your start screen, but doesn't say how to do that.   so here is a link just about how to turn off those live tiles:  https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/disabling-all-live-tiles-at-once-in-windows-8-8-1/20084
and here are a couple of other links with different ways to stop excess usage:
http://www.techbrown.com/stop-background-consumption-of-internet-on-windows-8-1-7.shtml
http://www.thequickwayto.com/2014/12/reduce-data-consumption-windows-8-1-disable-bits/
hope something here is helpful.  it's surprising that windows apparently had little to no awareness of the fact that some people don't have unlimited data usage. hopefully this will change. 
One of the main reasons I am not interested in upgrading to windows 10 is that I am quite happy with Windows 7 and don't want a new OS that will gobble up data so that I have to figure out new ways to plug the hole....
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Laurie that's the kind of input I was looking for. I will look at both of those solutions and experiment. It may be a while, because I'll probably wait until either the end of the billing month or when I'm willing to go on after midnight. I do recommend that people having the same problem go to Exede.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2722 Posts
  • 1715 Reply Likes
Ron, I don't know if you have already done this or not, but the Win 8 has a setting for the internet connection stuff called "Metered Connection". That must be checked, it does stop a lot of data usage that goes on in Win 8.
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you this and other comments on things to look at is what I needed. I will try these solutions early next week and report what worked.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3678 Posts
  • 3689 Reply Likes
Ron,

Take a look at https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-tips

It has the majority of general recommendations for Windows (that also apply to 8.1) that make difference with data usage. In addition, you'll find my experience with 8.1 and it took a few sessions during the LNFZ to tame the beast.

In particular, breaking it free from the default login using a Microsoft Live account and establishing a local account for logging in eliminates many of the usage issues encountered. Using a Microsoft Live accout, the operating system is for all intents and purposes fully web enabled. In particular, beware the use of your "free" 1TB Microsoft One Drive.     

In addition, if the new PC came with Office 365 and has been activated, beware the update settings. Unlike prior versions of Office and in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft eliminated its dependence on the Windows Update settings in favor of "new" options - effectively for those on limited data plans, you need to disable automatic updates in favor of manually updating on a regular basis ( i.e. manually check for any updates, enable updates, for an update to be applied and then remember to disable - naturally all within the LNFZ or EBFZ).        .

Finally, beware the upcoming Windows 10 "free update" at the end of July. At last check, there will be even less control over Windows Update dependent upon which "free update" version you receive (based on existing operating system version eligibility).        

While all "free" from Microsoft's perspective, all these features come at a steep cost in terms of data to those of us dependent on limited satellite internet plans.

FWIW, VPN has never been an issue for me but that's largely due to the nature of the work I perform (software developement which is mostly highly compressed text and source code) but YMMV.        
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Patti, I would be more than happy to review your account to discuss ways to maximize your data. As far as your data consumption is concerned, the kind of media you have listed will be the category’s to use the majority of your usage due to video if not monitored. Please send us your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you. 
Photo of Ed Hollowell

Ed Hollowell

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have sent you an email and trust that the impossablly high usage can be explained. I have been asigned a use of .4 Gb in the last 2 days which seems normal and reasonable. Others who are new users seem to have similar comments so prehaps their is a problem in the way the new subscribers are charged in their first full billing cycle? I am sure I did not use 6.3 GB in less than four days.
Photo of Ed Hollowell

Ed Hollowell

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am shocked that in 4 days I have somehow been billed for 6.3 GB of data. In less that 4 full days? I have only watched a very few short youtube videos. I have listened to several audio streams but that is not a big data amount compaired to video. I just came to Exede from Hughesnet and I am well aware of my data usage which I have budgeted for years. Something is wrong here!
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Ed, I’d be happy to review your account details and check your usage categories.  Once we figure out where your data is being consumed, we can find ways to help you enjoy the activities you love.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Ed, I switched from hughes to exede last august, so I agree you should be able to expect to understand and be able to predict your usage.  I haven't had any problems with mysterious data disappearance/usage I can't explain so that makes me think you will be able to figure out the problem and fix it.  I am on the internet a lot every day, and this billing cycle I found I only used 48% of my 10gb/month.  an all time low...I wasn't trying to use that little/could have been more liberal with some fun streaming a day or 2. I confine downloads to LNFZ and record Netflix stuff during LNFZ while I sleep.  Anything else new besides the switch from Hughes to Exede?  any connect to Directv or something like that?
(Edited)
Photo of Shelly Patterson Evans

Shelly Patterson Evans

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We have had Exede for a little over TWO long years now. In our prior location just a few miles from our new house, we NEVER went over our allotted data allowance! Since we moved here in April 2014 we have gone over EVERY month! I cannot wait until Charter services this area better! Exede cannot tell us where our data has gone despite NOTHING has changed with our usage (cell phones, etc.) other than location. I do believe they are named appropriately...just spell it differently...should be EXCEED!
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Shelly, I’m sorry you feel that way. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way concerning your data usage. Feel free to send us your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Shelly, this is such an interesting question/problem esp because you had Exede previously at an address so close to where you are now -- hope you will come back and let us know if you find the solution.  Have no idea how a location change, and not much of one, could suddenly cause a surge in data usage.  Hope you find the answer and let us know.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
it is interesting that at least a few people post here and talk about LARGE data usage when they have only had EXEDE a few days...is there anything about the installation process itself that would use up large amounts of data at the time of the installation?  I can't think how, but then I know nothing about installation technology.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Haven't had internet for a few days, weeks, even months?  Your devices come online for the first time in ages. . . *bam* updates!  possibly months worth!  One theory at least.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2717 Posts
  • 1712 Reply Likes
Good point Starring Matter. I use my laptop daily, but my desktop is used "on occasion" so it is not updated regularly. The other day I turned it on for the first time in two months, and between the MS Windows updates, my anti virus software updates, and a couple other program updates, almost a GB of data was consumed, as was show in both my router data management and the Exede meter. Windows alone had 32 updates, some fairly small, but still, data.

I agree, some of these new users may see that large data consumption in the first few days because of their devices catching up with updates. I do not believe that the installation process consumes large amounts of data, but the moderators or one of the installation techs could chime in on that. 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
I think it's the new toy in the house and gets used a lot at first.  After web-surfing for a few hours, watching some cool U-Tubes, and all the while an anti-virus program is downloading new virus definition tables and what not, a lot of data just went past the new customer and they missed it and think something really bad is going on.

Some anti-virus prgrams want to upload every application and most data files in your computer (your private stuff) to their "cloud" to be analyzed for viruses, all on your nickle.  I have 12 TB of storage and hours upon hours of video stored.  I can't have an anti-virus program that does that but some people have such programs and are oblivious to how it works or what it's doing to their data plan.  Example:  "F-Secure" which is offered by Exede for a 1 year free trial will eat your data allowance alive in a matter of hours after installing it.  I tried it and after a solid upload for 5 hours I killed it and removed it before I ran out of data for the month.  I switched back to Kaspersky and there's no looking back at F-Secure.

The other things like updates playing catch-up all jump on the new toy and there goes a month of data in just a matter of hours. 

Perhaps Exede will consider the new-toy syndrome for new customers and allow un-metered data for the first 24 hours someday so the new customers system has a chance to settle-up with updates etc. before the new customer gets irate at Excede because their first month of data seems to have been mis-calculated.  First day un-metered isn't bad for a new customer that just signed on for 2 years.  Consider it a "welcome aboard" gift that leaves a lot of new subscribers feeling very happy with their new Internet provider.

Of course show how much data was used in that first day so people will get a grip on just how much data things use.

(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
Very interesting, Craig. this is the first time I have heard about these antivirus programs which upload everything to a cloud to do their work.  Seems like a terrible waste of data.  with that type of program, do they have settings where you can tell it not to do anything except during LNFZ the way you can with a lot of these programs?
So, does exede offer that  F-secure free trial without making any mention of the potential for large amounts of data usage?  Maybe they think people should be aware of this?  Some people keep up with all this, but probably the majority don't I think.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 637 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
I am thinking that any time someone is having problems with mysterious excessive data usage, one good beginning question would be, how many devices exactly do you have hooked up to exede?  I have 3, my laptop, my ipod and my ipad, and I remember having to learn about what settings and apps I had to avoid to make sure I didn't start seeing my data usage go haywire.  Before that I had no clue about all these things that update themselves all the time, and this cloud thing is rampant, which becomes automatic unless you know to turn it off in your settings....for those of use who aren't up on all that stuff, it really can take a while to learn ALL the things which might be consuming data in the background without our being aware of it.  I wish I had one pamphlet which listed ALL the possibilities, in order of frequency/likelihood this could be my problem.  Then it would be a checklist to go down and rule out.
I have been coming to this site since last August when I signed up for Exede, and I have learned (and am continuing to learn) more on this subject here from customers with a lot of knowledge, than I ever had learned anywhere else.  Thanks!  
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
F-Secure is in San Jose and I live in the mountains above San Jose.  I think I need to pay them a visit and ask why my stuff has to be in their system to get their "protection."