data usage problem!!!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
My husband is an exede tech & we finally decided to get exede at our home last week. The first 24 hours it ended up saying we had reached our 20 g limit which was crazy because my husband & I were not even home most of the day or online. We never have used that much data with any other company or even using my mobile hotspot. We then called exede & gave them my husband's tech # & ended up upgrading to the biggest plan there is since it had said we used the whole 20 g in 24 hours. We've had exede for 8 day's & already again it is saying we have used half of our 50g for the month within these 8 days. My husband works all day for exede doing install's & service call's. I have been even shutting off our router to not use data & for some reason are at 50 percent used. We just paid $150 on the 20th for our plan & already are being told we've used half our data. This dosn't make any sense what so ever. Since my husband is an Exede tech we like to represent the product he install's but this data issue makes no sense what so ever. I havn't even been letting my son use his tablet or anything we normally do because the data is going out the window somehow.
Photo of Sierra Nicole Perez

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • confused & kind of upset

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ebal Nolom

Ebal Nolom

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
As a certified installation tech, your husband has access to tools that will help explain your data usage.  The obstacle of privacy (requires customer consent) would not apply in this case since he is only checking on usage for himself.  Hopefully, he should be able to figure out fairly quickly where the data is going.
Photo of Steve Enxing

Steve Enxing

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Are you saying this as a well informed customer or are you associated with ViaSat / Exede or WildBlue?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3843 Reply Likes
He's saying it being familiar with the eSVT tool available to installers:

http://www.wildbluetools.com/content/FS/20/24/003_eSVTJobAid.pdf
Photo of Ebal Nolom

Ebal Nolom

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
My only association with Viasat is as a customer for many years.  Someone with Exede certification showed me a pie chart under eSVT that showed data usage broken down by web browsing, social networking, media, storage, gaming, and a couple of other categories.  I just figured Sierra's husband could look at that and get a clue as to where their data was going.
Photo of Jamie Baudizzon

Jamie Baudizzon

• 30 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
we have this problem constantly. we can be out of the area with no technology in the home and they claim we have used all our data. it happens almost every month...i have called many many times, and i get different stories, plain lies, and false promises that never come to be. i still believe we all need to band together and file complaints regarding this company's horrendous behavior

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I figured out that if anyone uses Netflix they need to go to account settings and changed the pixels to low not auto or HD. HD uses 3g an hour. We changed our account settings with Netflix and then watched our data while watching for hours trying it out. We only used 1g or less watching Netflix for hours. That may be alot of ppls problems. Also of your cable is shorter than 20 feet that can be an issue also.
(Edited)

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Could it possibly be that the rg6 cable justn isnt long enough & its causing the data to be used more or was also thinking of our router possibly doing it idk. We can look up data usage like everyone else but no exactly what's going on with our data usage n internet.
Photo of Ebal Nolom

Ebal Nolom

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Anything from 5' to 150' of RG6 that is listed in Viasat's approved coax list and installed with proper compression connectors should not cause problems.  Wildblue used to have problems with short cables of less than 20' or so, but I have not heard of these issues with Exede.

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Exede cable is supposed to be at least 20 feet or lo ger which can cause issues but also changing Netflix settings to low pixel instead of streaming HD which uses 3 g an hour. Change it to low and we watched Netflix for hours today and didnt even use a whole g.
Photo of Christy Curran

Christy Curran

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Same here and I'm done with it. We could go with Verizon and save money and be on our computer all the time. This data usage for what we pay is a BIG rip off.

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Dont be done with it, there are reasons and we can figure it out. If you use Netflix go to account setting n change your pixels to low not auto or HD that uses 3 g an hour. We changed our netflix settings today and watched netflix for hours n eneed up not even using 1 g. Hope this helps. Otherwise the tech who did ur install may not have used the proper length of cable which can also use more energy n data. I would turn your modem off if you leave home & at night. Try these things and make sure to monitor your usage on the Exede site
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3807 Posts
  • 3849 Reply Likes
Assuming there is not an installation issue, you'll find a number of useful suggestions and recommendations on how to tame data usage at:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-tips

and

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/some-tips-on-windows-8-data-usage

Manually selecting a lower video resolution is but one suggestion.

Those who continue to repeatedly "call" phone support expecting different results would do better to go the email route at exedelistens@viasat.com.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is often called insanity; I guess that makes me insane because I repeatedly make the same suggestions here ad nauseum.

The typical knee-jerk response that comes back is: but I do all of that and have Windows scheduled to update at 2:00 AM - no you don't! Not unless you've installed a third party application that does that or are capable of programming the Windows Update API yourself. Read that section of the first link very carefully, you've got Windows update schedule to install at 2:00 AM - there's no setting that allows scheduling downloads natively built into Windows - they occur at any time with that setting and the proper setting for those on limited plans is described there also. Windows updates during prime time are another culprit and there are many more.

Right now I've got some 50MB of Windows updates sitting there waiting to consume my data and it's not even Patch Tuesday yet. 50MB doesn't sound like much except for the fact that I've got 5 machines waiting on it and 250MB or .25GB would be gone in sixty seconds if I were to let Windows do it. They can wait until the LNFZ when I install them manually.
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Sierra, I apologize concerning your recent data intake I understand this can be frustrating especially when data cannot accounted for. I would however like to look into your account to review your usage consumption and pinpoint were exactly where this data has gone to. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com and reference this conversation thank you. -Exede Lindsey  

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks I did email you. I also was just at 27 g and was monitoring it and then it jumped to 34.9 g used within a very short time frame of about an hour or so. I even have my laptop hooked up to my neighbor's because of the data usage issue. I have no idea what is going on but it's not cool that my husband install's Exede & we finally decided to get it & not have only had it for maybe a week and our 50 g which is the biggest plan is already almost used? My husband is out working all day & most the night doing installs or service call's & I half the time am not home due to having several autoimmune disesases and having to do treatments & Dr appointments. This is scaring me since this data keeps disappearing and we just paid $150 for service. I hope this can be fixed because I'm kind of now regretting this contract. 
(Edited)
Photo of KountryKathi M

KountryKathi M

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

What I am finding weird is how many posting here have had this problem in a short time.  I emailed them and have not heard back, but according to the data usage listed, we used 7 GB of data in one day. We do NOT watch Netflix or the like and don't even watch short Face Book videos either.

Router isn't secure, but since our nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and has his own system and we would see or hear anyone that got close enough to use ours, I didn't see a need.

All wifi capable devices are off or have wifi off and have been checked and rechecked.

Our cable is plenty long enough if it is the outside cable from the dish to the modem.

The autorun of videos is off and has been off for months.

Am changing how our updates are done and will see if that changes anything, but since we have had Exede for close to 3 years and this hasn't happened before, I doubt this is the problem.

I didn't know about how much hubby's Windows 8 uses and have fixed those settings too, but like the above, it isn't a new computer, but this usage has been in the past week.

Any other suggestions??

KountryKathi 

(Edited)
Photo of Notea Fairy

Notea Fairy

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
We are having the same problem last month it took all I could do to use up my data this month 20GB was used up within a week we don't watch movies don't use apps don't have smart phones I was told it was being used on Market place ? when I called in I went ahead and got rid of the wireless even though everything was password protected but now I have no data until the 20th of April really interested in seeing what happens next month this is insane..
Photo of KountryKathi M

KountryKathi M

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
David, where would I find a network monitoring program???  So far today, we are good and not using much at all, as it should be for our typical activity.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 385 Reply Likes
Networx is the name. It can be set up so it is reading what the router is sending and receiving from the Internet for each computer.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2780 Posts
  • 1751 Reply Likes
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/monitor-internet-usage/

This is a link to 5 free data monitoring programs. I like Networx the best.
Photo of KountryKathi M

KountryKathi M

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks!!!
Photo of Christy Curran

Christy Curran

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Should be NO data usage problems and at my age if I want to go on my computer and if others want to use an ipad or phone DO IT. I see my family and friends spend less then ME and don't have a PROBLEM  ....but us we have to stay up all night just to do what we have to do and not have a PROBLEM....oooo dear used more GB ...For me I'm looking for something BETTER. My husband is a sick Vietnam Veteran who just wants to go on his Ebay and can't WHY and he's the one paying for this. Good luck to all I don't see this getting any better.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Christy, I'm sorry you're experiencing frustration over your data caps. Satellite internet is unlike any other internet technology. It sounds like your friends are not using satellite. Unlike terrestrial internet service such as cable or DSL, there is a limited amount of bandwidth available on a satellite. We have to manage that capacity and unfortunately that usually includes data caps

I assure you that we are not creating artificial caps, they do genuinely exist out of necessity. We're continually working on optimizing our network and getting our customers more bang for their buck, but I understand how caps can be frustrating.

I'd be happy to look at your account and see what options are available to you. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact and account information and please reference this post in your email.
Photo of Lauren E

Lauren E

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
You say "Unlike terrestrial internet service such as cable or DSL, there is a limited amount of bandwidth available on a satellite." First off DSL is satellite, it stands for Direct Satellite Link, and second Satellite is capable of sending larger data then cable and people who have cable spend less and have no tangible data caps so your "help" is just misleading people and placating them with excuses about things they know little about. Satellite company's just monopolize on people who can't get better internet by charging outrages amounts for minuscule data.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
DSL stands for digital subscriber line..hense why when you get DSL you have to have a filter on your phone jacks for analog phones to work. Dial-up internet and phones only use about 1% of the total bandwidth phone wires van handle. The problem is with those is they are analog and can not use what bandwidth. Hense where DSL comes in as a digital signal and uses more of that bandwidth to get you up to like 6mbps internet.

Now as far as your comments about satellite you are correct if you had the half a billion dollars to build one and maybe have space x launch it for you you could have the full 130Gbps to your self bit in this case that gets divided up over like 80% of the us population and part of Canada pushing the total users upwards of a million people on one satellite.

So do the math that don't leave hardly anything per user hence they bank on that not all 1mil people will be watching Netflix at the same time and should they decide to it will just take all night to watch one movie as speeds will be crawling.
Photo of Rich

Rich

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Those of you that wish to defend Excede.  You can give any and all the reasons for them.  I received my 100% email at 8AM on the first day of my billing cycle.  That is three hours in to the cycle.  We do not use any of the sites like Netflix.  Neither of us had been on our computer before 8AM.  We should not have to jump through hoops to bow to their greed.  If their satelite can not support  the speed due to too many people using their computer at the same time, it's time for another satellite or stop adding more accounts to their system/satellite.  Say what you will about DSL and Cable, but They don't have data limits.  But as for us, we have three choices Excede, Hughesnet, or Verizon.  al with small caps and a higher cost. 

They say they slow you down after you reach your limit.  But the only site on the internet I can connect with is this one. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.