Data usage discussion

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

Why can't this company provide a detailed view of data usage?  It would seem a look at a bare minimum of daily usage or better yet hourly usage might help those of us trying to eliminate extraneous usage. We are three months into a new contract and have had problems last month and already this month.  This month we have eliminated all but one computer on the system. It is off unless used and only about an hour a day if that.  All phones, tablets, and laptops we have elected to use cell phone wireless connections, which we can have detailed data usage printouts.  Two days into the month we have used 4 gb and no one has used exede accept after midnight. In the two days with 5 phones, three tablets, four laptops on the cell phone service we have use 1.5 gb, I would say there is an erroneous measurement somehow.  Anyone else having these kinds of difficulties.  Discussions with the exede support staff has proven difficult if not impossible.

Dr. Bill Swyers

Photo of Bill S

Bill S

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Bill,

They can, and rumor has it that providing a better usage meter is in the works. Even then it likely won't satisfy some complaints since some are of the opinion that Viasat should be responsible for tracking usage at a very granular level (e.g. what exact web site, how much data consumed, what did I send/receive and when). While possible, that raises some privacy issues for me personally not that we aren't being tracked already. As to when it will arrive, who knows? I suspect when it does, it may provide a daily breakdown of total upload/download for the past 30 days or so (or maybe limited to current monthly cycle) - but that's just speculation.

In the meantime, most of us rely on one or more of the tools available and mentioned throughout the community here. My primary tool is my router's traffic monitoring that provides sufficient information on my wireless and wired connections. For the most part and within a reasonable margin of error (+/- .1GB) due to rounding differences - it's been consistent with Exede's meter provided through the NRTC.

P.S. You should also be aware that there have been some reports that the Late Nite Free Zone has failed to engage at 12:00 AM local time on the nose - although I haven't seen that one yet - it's generally within 30 seconds +/-

Now if Viasat wanted to expose some of the more useful information with the modem's cgi script without requiring an installer password, they might find some enterprising, card carrying GOP member (grumpy old programmer) in beam 329 willing to provide a nifty little utility for Windows users to keep them better informed (in his spare time of course which is becoming exceedingly rare).                                                   
(Edited)
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
GOTO 329, GOSUB, GET Dog, RETURN, PRINT Sic em ☺
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
About the data use.........................we are yet to hear from customer service.  Kimberly says someone will contact us.  No contact and yes, they have had adequate time.  As for the Late Free Zone....................ours varies from night to night.  Sometimes early, sometimes late.  I can only imagine that it depends on who is working and what time zone they are in.  I am into my 3rd month with this company.  I hate it!!  I HATE IT!!  I feel like such a fool for believing the man who told me that there are no longer any caps on data usage and that service is not slowed down.  HE SO LIED TO US!  The problem is, he represents Exede and they obviously don't care.  They don't care about that issue or us as customers.  It is unbelievable what the man who pushed this service through his business has said to my spouse and myself.  He took advantage of us and I am sure that he and so many more are getting this treatment just the same.  Thank you Exede.  You have exceeded my limits!!!!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
In all of your posts so far all that I can make out is that you appear to be stuck in an abusive dealer/installer relationship, and there's not much any of us other than the  Exede moderators can do about that. To date, I've only seen some broad complaints about your data usage. If you'd care to narrow that down a bit, you might find some suggestions on how to get that under control - otherwise it simply sounds like woe is me.                   
Photo of jimpryde

jimpryde

• 26 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
That seems very much in line with normal data usage. I think you aren't aware of the sheer amount of network/internet activity that applications and operating systems use in the background. I have 1 desktop, 1 laptop, and 2 tablets, and we often go over the 1.5GB mark. If I had that number of devices, I'd obliterate 30GB. 

Also, I should point out that their data usage meter updates more often than every 24 hours. I have checked it myself after reading a number of forum posts here, and I saw changes as often as 30 minutes. 

It is possible for you to use a number of 3rd party tools and your own router to monitor your bandwidth usage. A router based one would be more adequate since it will monitor all connected devices, and you wouldn't need to install 9 applications on different platforms.
Photo of Theodore Lyons Porter

Theodore Lyons Porter

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Good idea! I like how my phone has call #'s, time used, money spent. No privacy issues here.
Photo of Bill S

Bill S

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the comments. I will look more closely at the router software for evaluating usage. I have Linksys router that seems to fail quite often with the satellite feed. Any suggestions? I will also pay attention to the after hours usage. This seems like it could be a real issue.
Photo of jimpryde

jimpryde

• 26 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I just had to replace my mother in laws Linksys router for that same reason. I got her the same tplink model we have. It has only basic usage statistic tracking. Asus' nighthawk models are very robust but also expensive.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Bill,

There's another recent thread regarding routers and some recommendations at:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/is-there-a-best-wifi-router

Largely a matter of personal preferences and $$$ and some others not mentioned specifically there or here as above, have been known to be problematic with Exede.

P.S. Don't overlook the usual recommendations if you haven't tried them yet:

• AdBlock Plus
  • FlashBlock
  • Setting Windows to only check for updates and not download (except at your command during LNFZ or EBFZ).
  • Setting other applications to not automatically update - simply notify and allow for manual download during non-metered periods.
  • Set Windows 8.x  (if applicable) to metered mode and turn off live tiles that are unnecessary.
Do those first and you may find a new router is unnecessary provided you're not experiencing some of other issues noted here like the one below.

Finally, it's easy to forget that a device might have been configured to use your wireless router. Easiest way to handle that is change the wireless password and change it only on those devices you actually want to use. Then see if anybody complains about being unable to access wireless and decide if worth it to allow.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Now if Viasat wanted to expose some of the more useful information with the modem's cgi script without requiring an installer password, they might find some enterprising, card carrying GOP member (grumpy old programmer) in beam 329 willing to provide a nifty little utility for Windows users to keep them better informed (in his spare time of course which is becoming exceedingly rare).  
I am not so much a Grumpy Old Programmer, but would be willing to offer the same as Old Labs.  It would be worth it to me just to satisfy my own needs to write something to do this.
Photo of Denise SPOTILA

Denise SPOTILA

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This situation is almost identical to what we have been experiencing. Talking to Exede has been useless. I do not use 4g with my phone company using all devices in cell company data a month but use all our Exede data the first few days of billing cycle? Only one computer and it is not left on. Our router is locked and in fact now disconnected. Still using data with Exede tho.......
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Bill,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your data usage.  I can't provide you with the specifics, but I can provide you with the categories in which your data is being consumed.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  I look forward to assisting you.
Photo of Me the customer

Me the customer

• 41 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
ok................so now we have to be computer experts when we were told "unlimited" and "no slowing down during the month".  So you are saying that we have to figure out every little loophole?  Not all of us have that ability and we are not about to pay someone.  As for customer service...........................................go ahead and email them.  I for one can say that they do not resolve or attempt to resolve any issues.  All I ever got was an email stating thanks for the info etc..............still waiting.  About the usage...........................I use some occasional FB/Email and a little browsing.  I have ONE computer!!  I have made sure that the Cache is cleared.  I turn the power to the computer off when not using.  Still by day 5 at least, I use all my data.  I should not have to try to figure out were my data is going.   First of all we were LIED to.  Second, that is not a requirement to be a customer, meaning, being a computer science major.  I obviously am not alone in these complaints!!  But, "Woe is me" if that makes you feel better!!!  Not issue you are dealing with so go ahead and knock me down some more!!  Plus, THEY HAVE NOT RETURNED CALLS OR EMAILS IN REGARDS TO OUR ISSUES AS PROMISED!!  Bottom line, NO SERVICE/DECEITFUL!!  
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
As noted Me, you've given us little to go on based on your prior posts regarding your data usage. But now you've started to at at least get into specifics.

• Clearing your cache doesn't have any major impact on usage. It does however solve some other issues when they are experienced. With the Accelenet technology used by Exede, local caching is duplicative in nature for non-secure web sites.
  • Facebook - make sure you've configured Facebook to not autoplay videos regardless of whether you watch them or not.
Also see the other common recommendations a few posts above.

None of those require a degree in rocket science, they do require some effort.

Viasat only provides the infrastructure needed for satellite internet access. I agree with many that the usage meter in its current state is insufficient for most users to keep track of their usage adequately. I do not agree that it is Viasat's responsibility to provide an itemized, detailed list of each and every user's activity any more than it's the power company's responsibility to tell me how much of my power consumption is attributable to use of my toaster. How you use it is your responsibility.

As also noted not much any of us can do about your issues with Viasat or an installer and you'd do better to take those issues elsewhere - like a new post dedicated solely to those issues (and you'll find many of us will avoid commentary). At the same time, your issues there might not be so easily overlooked from piggy backing on to other posts - see Message from Exede on Home page.  

Try not to read between the lines, quit being so defensive, stop shooting the messengers and you might actually receive some useful information from some that you might have scared away and have even more suggestions...

I also gather from your posts that your having your own set of personal trials. Many of us do and are empathetic - but again little that we can do about those.   

Just sayin' and recommendations from this section of the peanut gallery are closed; and no I didn't just call you a peanut, Everett or Steve or JEP or Bobbie or ... I called myself a peanut and am in my own private section ;)

Disclaimer: The above post has undergone a series of edits to avoid any misinterpretation but probably all for naught and time will tell.          
(Edited)

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Peanut? I thought you where a Dog? I'm a Duck.

All kidding aside, I go agree that Mrs. Me the Customer would be much better of starting her separate forum post in order to track her issues and problems.

Me. Please heed the message from Lab Rescuer above. We are customers just like you and would like to resolve you problems with your dish. Your installer is a different issue and really out of our hands.
Photo of S.A.

S.A.

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
LR,

I can understand why Me would become defensive; the whole tone of your posts have been a little condescending. I did not read that Me was asking for a website-by-website NSA type tracking of data, but like me wants some kind of break down, possibly by the hour of total usage.

I emailed Exede and asked the same thing and received a reply from someone who had not taken the time to read my email. This customer service representative gave me the pat answer of where to find my data usage meter. I already knew "where" to find the usage meter, I was asking for a little more detail so I could figure out where my high usage times were. This was all before I installed a wireless router; my computer was linked directly to the exede modem. I don't think this is an unreasonable request, and I would have preferred to have been contacted by an Exede Customer Service Rep. who actually appeared to give a darn about the customer. 

Based upon where I live, I don't have a lot of options for internet service, so I was very happy to stumble across Exede. One of the reasons I left my previous ISP, which was a broadband to go Mifi service was because they stopped giving me any data usage beyond a meter and an email telling me that I had reached my data usage cap after only 1-week of service. Here again, I was not asking for specifics, just proof that I had indeed used that much data. I require my bank and credit card companies to provide detailed statements, it is not unreasonable to want the same from my ISP.

To Me the Customer, I would recommend trying to contact the company by telephone and escalating the call to a supervisor. Before you call make a list of grievances you want to discuss, then check them off as your conversation progresses. Be very specific about what you want the company to do for you and ask the company representative to be very specific with you about what they can or are willing to do.

If you still feel that your concerns are not being addressed you do have the option of contacting the FCC. The FCC has an online form you can fill in and submit, and the form has plenty of space to air all your grievances. If part of your grievance is with the company that sold you the service, you may have to make seperate complaints to have all of your issues addressed. I'm not one who believes in shooting from the hip, so I only mention contacting the FCC as a last resort.

Good luck, and I hope you can get everything resolved. As for me, I will continue to contact Exede and request a break down of my usage, hopefully, if enough customers keep requesting they will hear our voices and comply.

S,A,

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
S,A,
I do think you should track down the many post from "Me the Customer", then you will see that many offers of help have been made by the forum members and Exede's rep's and office based help officials.

This was not the normal data loss, slow connection or WoW won't load type of issues for Me the Customer. Get the fact's first, then judge our "the whole tone of your posts".

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Offhand, I suspect none of the recommendations made will make a difference if accepting Me's explanation of her dealer/installer experience posted in another thread - she's probably saddled with a poor install based on the perceived dealer/installer attitude I see. She wouldn't be the first it seems.

FWIW, if I didn't care I wouldn't have replied - take it, leave it, interpret as you will.

That's the beauty of social media, everyone has a right to get upset - sometimes venting alone can soothe the soul.
(Edited)
Photo of S.A.

S.A.

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Everett,
How much more research can I do than to read the entire thread of this blog. Like I said, I'm not shooting from the hip, and all I was doing was expressing an opinion regarding how I perceived the "tone" of the conversation. 
S.A.
Photo of lowdog

lowdog

• 28 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Most of the complaints I see are from users wanting a more precise means of monitoring data consumption beyond taking screen shots of the dashboard speedometer that only shows cumulative data consumption during the current billing period. I grow suspicious when in am not connected on any of my mobile devices and the laptop is off or disconnected and the upload light is flashing. Is there a phantom user accessing my account? All that I would like is daily and hourly data usage. Come March, my monthly 20GB promotional plan will be cut down to 10GB. I'd like to get a handle of my usage so when there is less data to consume I will be prepared.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 557 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
You can have a list of your data used down to 15 minute intervals. Download and install Reality Ripple's Satellite Restriction Tracker Software. It's free or $15 a year depending on what level of service you what. The $15 is well worth it IMHO.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
lowdog, the upload light does flash even if there is no activity initiated by you or your connected devices. The modem is merely "calling home" to check that it is still connected to the mother ship. This is not data that is charged to you, but necessary for everything to work. If you are using a VOIP adapter on your connection, the VOIP adapter will continually "call home" to check if you have any phone calls. With Exede Voice, the data does not count toward your allotment, any other VOIP service the data does get counted, although it is fairly small unless a call is in process.

Also, there are several good data tracking apps available at no charge that will give you data usage down to the hour, day, month, year and some give a breakdown of what applications are using the data. I use Networx, others use BitMeter2 with good results. Here is a link to some of these apps. http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/monitor-internet-usage/
(Edited)
Photo of Jamie Baudizzon

Jamie Baudizzon

• 30 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
LOWDOG, we are being accused of using data during days that there are no people and no technology in the house, when we are over an hour a day.  i cannot get any explanation from exede, and have been combing these blogs looking for a possible explanation.  let me know if you find out anything, please!  our only other option at this point is file complaints and get out from under this company and the constant balogna!!!!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Jamie, I have yet to receive an email to the address we have provided, www.exedelistens@viasat.com. Please try sending in a brand new one and we will do what we can to assist you with the issues you are having. Thank you. 
Photo of JrzyJin

JrzyJin

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If you're like me, you've chosen satellite because it's one of the very few, or perhaps even the only option available to you for broadband grade internet.  So in a way, ViaSat has what marketing people sometimes refer to as a "lock-in."  Meaning you're stuck.  Up their river without a paddle.  With that in mind, the "driving force" for repairing or adding features that their user-base desires is somewhat lessened for them, and they don't feel quite as much pressure for the "necessity" to do so.  Hopefully this will change soon.
Photo of Justin Mercier

Justin Mercier

• 15 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
No, I much prefer giving my login info to a creepy alien in children's clothes and then waiting while a bunch of unnecessary AJAX widgets load account details I don't want just to see a simple summary of my current usage.

Yes, I am being sarcastic. I don't understand why the modem doesn't track this info and provide a quick status itself.

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
Why not just install a data monitoring app on your computer and get all the information you want. I use Networx, others like BitMeter2. They are all free.  http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/monitor-internet-usage/

Your modem is very busy just trying to communicate all your requests with the big satellite in the sky.
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Has anyone had any luck? We just signed up for exede this month and I wish I had seen this forum. I went through 8gb in one week and that was on an iPad by browsing the web and one FaceTime call. On our Verizon account we use less then 3 Gb a month and surf the web way more. I would cancel service because obviously something is wrong but we would have to pay $350!!! I called customer service and they had no idea that this was an issue. The tech support was not very savy so I asked to talk with a supervisor, who was not available. They were supposed to call me back but no word. They did give us 5 BG for this month but this doesn't solve the problem. I am so,upset and feel cheated by this company. Trying to reach out to media outlets to investigate and contact the FCC. Has anyone else had any luck I'm getting this solved?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Maggie,

Some have had great success in managing their usage, while others haven't and remain frsutrated. I'd suggest the following:

1. Start a new post of your own. SInce this one has been acknowledged, your post may go unnoticed by the Exede moderators here.
  2. An Exede moderator will then likely respond asking you to send an email to him/her at exedelistens@viasat.com along with your account information. They can't determine your account from the profile you've established here so you have to initiate that contact.
  3. At that time they'll be able to provide a general categorized breakdown of where your data is going along with checking to see if your modem is functioning properly.
  4. After that it'll be pretty much up to you to get your usage under control but it will give you a general idea of where to look.
  5. I'd suggest taking a look at the thread below but it's a little light on iPad specific information however you might be able to leverage some of it. Regardless you'll likely find some recommendations from others here more familiar with the iPad.
https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-tips

P.S. You'll soon likely be receiving advice from those disgruntled also. Carefully weigh their advice against the other advice you'll likely receive. The advice to choose is of course yours.
(Edited)
Photo of slowBill

slowBill

• 70 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hello Maggie,
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. I use an iPad air and iphone6. you might want to take a look in settings, iCloud and see if you have photos turned on. if so, every photo you take on your iPad or iPhone if you use one, gets sent to the iCloud server, and also back to other devices which also have iCloud photos turned on. at around 2meg each, it can add up quick.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Maggie, slowBill and Lab make very good points of advice. I am one of the moderators here and I will do all that I can to help you track down where your data is going so fast. Satellite data differs vastly from cellular use but with the help you will receive here managing will become easier and easier for you. If you'd like me to take a look at your traffic, just send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and I'll get to it.
(Edited)
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Kimberly thanks for the reply. I spoke to an exede agent and they checked about data. They confirmed what I suspected, which is the opposite of what you are saying. Data is data. If I check my email using my Verizon cellular data that should use the same number of bytes in satellite service as well. Are you telling me this is incorrect?
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Yes, that is incorrect. The way the data is metered, the pixel size, and most of the nitty gritty details actually differ a ton with each type of internet's data.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Maggie,

While I can't offer any iPad specific advice (I'll leave that to slowBill), I'm curious as to whether your iPad is a WIFI only version or a WIFI + Cellular Data version? When you cay checking your email using Verizon cellular data, are you using the iPad or a SmartPhone? If a WIFI only iPad are you using a SmartPhone as a hot-spot? As noted I can't speak to the iPad, but do know that the Microsoft Surface Pro behaves a little differently depending on how it's accessing the router (more specifically how Windows 8.x accesses it - wirelessly vs wired).     

In addition, you may want to ensure that wirless access to your router is secured with a password. While some take this to mean protecting against others using your WIFI and dismissing it as impossible since they live out in the middle of nowhere, there's actually a more practical reason.

Other wifi-enabled devices you have may be using the WIFI provided by your router and hence your Exede data without your knowledge. If the wireless access via the router is already secured with a password, simply changing it and re-establishing it on the devices you choose helps to locate the culprit if any. If any devices complain or no longer have access, you've locate a potential culprit and can decide whether to allow access and establish the password.   

As an example and not saying this is your case since I don't know your specifics, but DirecTV Video on Demand would use your Exede connection if allowed to do so.

Regardless, reach out to Kimberly at the email address she gave above if you haven't already - you'll get better support than by phone I'm sure. 
(Edited)
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Maggie, 

what Kimberly is trying to say, is yes, a gigabyte is a gigabyte, a megabyte is a megabyte, there are not multiple ways of measuring that.  BUT, what is different is the way that data is delivered to you.  Websites are built with connection speed and type of device in mind.

Modern websites test your connection speed, and provide you with the most, and highest quality content they can, based on that speed.  If you are on slower speeds, they provide you less, faster speeds, they provide you more.  And not just in content, the same goes for the quality of embedded video, as well as the content and frequency of the advertisements.  So, going to site X over a 3G connection (roughly 1/10th) of exede speeds, you will use far less data than going to that same page on a fast connection like exede.

Another example, of why you really can't compare.  If you load up http://www.msn.com/ on your computer, then load up http://onmobile.msn.com/ .  The first, is the main msn site, formatted for home connections.  The second, is the exact same site formatted for mobile devices.  As you can clearly see, you are given MUCH more information on the home formatted site, more graphics, more stores, more ads, etc.  Same web page, different format.  Should be no surprise that the home formatted page uses vastly more data than the mobile formatted page.

So, yes, back to your original point. . . both are correct, data is data, a byte is a byte is a byte, but, how many of those bytes are put on your plate can vary greatly depending upon your chef, and the restaurant you are eating in.  (now I'm going to go eat breakfast)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Good explanation, Starring Matter.

Also answers a question a while back from someone looking for lightweight news sites - hunt for the mobile versions when in a data crunch.  Many will work just fine on a PC, others not so successful once clicking on a link since they then revert to the heavier version but adding links like that to my Data Crunch favorites folder. 

P.S. Categorized links to mobile web sites can be found at http://cantoni.mobi/ many work just fine, others revert, other just don't work - so trail and error must be used to identify them.        
(Edited)
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I don't think that was what she was saying. I spoke with customer service yesterday and she said that data can be measured Differently on a satellite. If connection is bad on exede then it's constamtly sending data and the sliw PING speeds can also cause it to pull more data. Anyway, I live full time in Manhattan and have really fast speeds on my Verizon plan. It's much faster then exede. So that theory would contradict what you just said. It just doesn't make sense.

The customer service rep is sending the case to a specialist. They will be contacting me this week. We went through the data and analyzed it. The rep agreed that being in Instagram for an hour shouldn't use 3 gb of data and that she thought satellite uses more data than mobile because of connection is slower and longer.

What makes me frustrated is if that is true none of that was explained to me when I signed up for the service. Otherwise we would have gotten a hot spot from Verizon. The sales people did say that watching a Netflix movie on HD would use 3 gb when we signed up. We were testing data on exede and streamed about 15 minutes one day and 10 another (trying to measure data consumption that isn't updated in real time). We couldn't figure out with the meter but the rep told me last night it used 5 gb of data. Again way off from their predictions.

Ultimately their plan is useless if going on instagram for an hour with exede uses 3 gb which costs us about $19. On my phone's Verizon plan that would be negligible. Either way paying $19 for an hour of instagram is INSANE!!

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Maggie,
As for some of your test, video/ movie data will load faster than you can watch it.

As an example, if a streaming video/ movie is 1 Gig in size and one hour long. If you watch 25% or 15 minutes of it, the other 75% might have already downloaded onto your system as you watched the first part. This is for your viewing pleasure and to stop the buffering while the video plays.

This example is also the basis for adding the video/ flash blocker's into your browser, turning the auto-play features off on Facebook, YouTube and so on.

These website are trying to offer you constant viewing by pre-loading the data for the selected, or might be selected video's.

Hope it helps,
Everett
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks Starring Matter, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you for clarifying. (:
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Right. I understand Kimberly what starring matter is saying. But my issue is that it's the same webpage on the same device. I am not comparing a home computer to a mobile device. I am on the same mobile device with exede and then the SAME device and the SAME application or website with Verizon. Different measurements in data use. Significant differences. That's my issue. And like I said in NYC I have great service. The upload/download speeds are comparable to exede while the PING on Verizon is obviously much faster.

So while what your saying is true its not applicable in my situation.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I think I should clarify. I am referring to the cellular vs. satellite usage from what you stated here: "I went through 8gb in one week and that was on an iPad by browsing the
web and one FaceTime call. On our Verizon account we use less then 3 Gb a
month and surf the web way more." Using your Exede service for YouTube, for example, will use say 6MB/minute whereas using your Verizon internet will use 1MB/minute. (Just figurative estimates). Same application, same streaming time, but different usage amounts.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
So if that is true...then 30 GB of data hot spotted to my computer gives me a lot more use than 30 GB of data through Exede connected to the same device?  That makes cellular a much better deal as they keep making their data more affordable.  Or am I missing something?  I know if I watch a video on my Galaxy S5 it uses much less than watching the same video on my computer connected to the phone's hot spot (as it is right now)  but it seems like it should use nearly the same to watch a movie with my computer connected to Verizon as to Exede but Exede uses 6X as much?  
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Kimberly- thank you. I appreciate the example. I am not sure why they would be different. Is there a technical reason?

Again, this was not explained to me by your sales people when I spent over an hour discussing satellite with them on the phone last month. What this means is for a similar price I could have had 10 GB from Verizon at my house but it's really equivalent to 60 GB because Verizon is 6 times more efficient.

We chose the satellite (assuming GB were GB) because I thought the satellite would be faster. That was the main reason because The Verizon plan wasn't that much more money. Up in the mountains, where our house is located that has exede, the satellite is slightly faster then Verizon wireless but that's without a mobile booster. And it's slight. However I realize we can't comapare the 2 plans because your company processes data differently. It seems like we made the wrong choice as the amount of data on exede is quite insufficient but we can not cancel because we would have to pay $360 to cancel. We are stuck with this product and I feel like we were sold something that was not fully explained to us and we have no recourse to return the product.

On top of that, It still doesn't explain why using Instagram for an hour (give or take) added up to 3 GB (among other peculiar charges). I would imagine instagram would use less data then streaming YouTube. Let's pretend they used the same amount of data. Therefore on exede, playing YouTube for 1 hour should utilize aprox. 360 mbs. No where near 3000 mbs that I was measured to used for an hour of instagram on and off.

Do you understand how I am frustrated on both points?

At this point I just want my service cancelled and refunded.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Jacqueline,

As for web sites and as noted buy Starring Matter above, different video sizes can and often are delivered based upon the device you're viewing them on and not the infrastructure they're being delivered over. Through java script or simply the user agent string of the browser, content deliverers can determined whether your using a phone, tablet, or PC. While actual resolutions of those devices may be identical the primary difference is the density of the pixels. Smaller the device the higher the density. The higher the density, lower quality and size can be delivered. All confusing and counter-intuitive (and we haven't even gotten into codecs, compression, bit rates, frames per second, etc. all of which make my head hurt).

Those on unlimited plans have few concerns, but those of us on limited plans need to be minimally aware of the physics unfortunately. It's also the reason sites like YouTube and others offer the options to view in lower quality since it's all an inexact science (from a consumer perspective). Where possible choose the lowest quality that allows for a pleasurable viewing experience.     
(Edited)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
So then it SHOULD be the same on the same device irregardless of what service it is connected to?  (or similar I realize it can't be exact)  I think there is confusion about that.  If it takes my computer 2 GB to stream a movie (or basketball game) connected to Exede, it should be also very close for the same computer to stream the same programming connected to Verizon or some other service provided the speeds are similar or it is set to the same resolution.  At least that is what I would always assume, not that Exede would use 6X as much data as seems to be implied above?  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Under identical circumstances, yes it should as I understand it - but some sites can also optimize based on the speed they detect (making it more difficult to determine if the circumstance are identical).

P.S. But my movies are consistently delivered at approximately 45 mph from the local RedBox ;)    
(Edited)
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
But that contradicts what Kimberly and the rep I spoke with on the phone the other day said. I assume if they works for exede they understand how the data is processed.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
That's why I had a couple of questions regarding the iPad above, Maggie.

P.S. Have you actually contacted Kimberly yet via the email address given so she can review your account and determine whether there are any mechanical issues with your install?

P.P.S. Not really contradicting but rather qualifying it with "under identical circumstances".
(Edited)
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I used an iPad that does not have cellular data connection. I didn't clarify in detail but I also have an iPhone. Most of the activity (including the instagram) was done on the iPhone. The iPhone has Verizon service as well.

I will email her right now but I am also waiting for specialists to get back to me. I have spent hours dealing with this and contacted 4 people in the company already. It's very annoying that I can't get a clear answer.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Maggie, above you mentioned a facetime call that was done over the exede network.  Face time is not just audio and video, but it's two way audio and video, and very likely in mid grade HD  720p if not full HD 1080p.  Even a very short facetime call can use a tremendous amount of data.
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Great thanks for your opinion. I am just not sure it's accurate. With a quick google , it gives low numbers. 15 mb for 10 minutes.

I will be waiting to speak with a rep and get accurate information.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Maggie,

Yours is a familiar tale in dealing with 1st level phone support, like others you'll probably receive better support going through email and Kimberly directly or at least be better positioned to find a solution.

However, not being an iPhone/iPad user, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad is able to detect that a Wifi connection is cellular vs. non-cellular when tether to an iPhone but that's speculation and defer to those more familiar with a purely Apple environment.

Originally I was going to ask why on earth are you using Exede in NYC, but can now see that your referring to the weekend getaway using Exede. when there do you similarly tether the iPad to the iPhone which in turn uses the Exede connection via a wireless router (not even sure that's possible) or do each connect separately to the wireless router?

The only analogy I can offer (and not a valid one since talking wired vs. wireless) is that of different behavior on wireless vs. wired connections when using Windows 8.x. If I were to take my wife's Surface Pro and connect it to my router using a Surface Ethernet adapter and a wired connection to my router, I'd have to (and do) take additional precautions regarding data use. Window 8.x knows the difference between wired vs wireless connections.

When wireless, a simple switch allows declaring that it's also a metered connection which automatically conserves data. to some extent. When wired however, that option isn't available (Microsoft falsely assumes that wired connections can't be metered - and this is true for the majority of users except those on satellite connections, a small segment of the population comparatively speaking). As a result, I need to go through and manually disable all of those features automatically covered by wireless metered mode if I were to use a wired connection.

Even with wireless metered mode it only impacts Microsoft applications to begin with, so added precautions are needed for non-Microsoft applications regardless of whether a wired or wireless connection. I've just taken a pessimistic, manual, worst-case scenario approach rather than relying upon Microsoft's misguided assumption.      

Now that I've covered all of those Microsoft and non-Microsoft products, I'll be going back and turning metered mode off at some point to measure the real impact - but that will have to wait until I'm next awake during the LNFZ which just turned into a pumpkin and don't want to take the chance that i missed something .
(Edited)
Photo of Maggie Dallal

Maggie Dallal

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I emailed Kimberly yesterday :)

Thanks for the info but I really don't want to have to think that hard about conserving data. I feel bad for you guys. We have unlimited cable connection at our main house and cellular service is decent at our second home. So I don't need exede as we have other options. I'm not Interested in paying them crazy prices for their services and spending time at a vacation home worrying about settings on my devices. It's cheaper to get Internet on an island in the South Pacific! It's all just very annoying. At the very least, I will be saving some friends from getting stuck with the mess of satellite services. Stay away!

I just want to cancel service and not be charged. It's a pity that a week after purchasing service I can't cancel without being penalized. .

Best of luck.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Maggie - Yes, very advisable to tell your friends that if they have other options for reliable broadband Internet, they should choose that over satellite. Except for a few applications, satellite Internet is the choice of last resort.  Anyone who does their homework knows that already, sorry you had to learn the hard way.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Just doing a drive-by to give an update on my data usage since the spontaneous mutation interval that occured in October, when I ALLEGEDLY, magically burned through my alloted 10GB in a mere 18 days--after having never, ever using my full allotment of 7GB back when I started the service in 6/2012, let alone the 10GB we were upgraded to. So, after 27 months of using less than 10GB/month until October 2014 arrived, what has followed? Well, November usage: right back where it usually runs, under 6GB. December: also right back where it has been since 6/2012, under 6GB. Have changed nothing--save for installing an app to track my data usage, as suggested by one of the champions here . Same equipment, same usage, no movies, music, etc.

Until October 29, 2014, I had ZERO complaints about my Exede service--consider it a good value, it worked well, it beat the pants off of my only other option, dial-up, and 7GB was sufficient for all the things I do on-line. I'm hoping that the October Surprise was a one-off event, and it never repeats itself. There is absolutely no way I could use 10GB of data in 18 days, and my past usage history along with that of the past two months illustrates my point quite well.

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
hi hexe, that is good news. What you experienced is obviously one of those "ghost" data mishaps that others have had happen, most likely where the modem loses communication with the mother ship, and then tries unsuccessfully to reestablish the link, in the process constantly loops for long periods of time. I know that others have had this happen, but Exede will never admit that it goes on. Hopefully, you will not ever see that happen again. It looks like you have been able to keep your internet usage well within the data allowance on your plan. Good luck, and enjoy Exede.

Steve
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 557 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
I had this happen about a year ago. I have Satellite Restriction Tracker installed to monitor Exede usage  with 15 minute updates so I could tell it used 5.3 gigs in 15 minutes while we were asleep. It happened the day before we rolled over so it didn't make any difference and I didn't call Exede. That is the only time in almost two years we've had unknown data usage.
(Edited)
Photo of Carol Meza

Carol Meza

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a MAC and use surplus meter to track my data.  Every month it has shown that I have not used even half of my data allowance, yet Excede claims I'm all used up by the same date every month!!!  This is the first month where the two have almost agreed. (does 9.1GB = 5002MB?) I have called and gotten the "It sucks to be you, have you tried the midnight zone?" run around.  Midnight zone is a lie also.  I stayed up two nights to update my MAC, and still didn't work.  Customer service could not help me. 
Few options in my rural area.  Looking at Verizon hot spot instead. 
Photo of Phil Marhold

Phil Marhold

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Wow, this page is a lot different than the Reviews page on the front of the web site. This data thing is causing a lot of stress in the family.  Even raised voices.  Everyone is voting to go back to unlimited dial up.  That is how much this stinks.  We're ok if we have our 40 plus gigs.  The 25 plan is $130, plus rental and tax and 15 gigs at $10 each, about $260 a month.  All to have the magic box that connects everyone the the web. It's really about the money, and not the gigs.  What is a gig?  It's a funny looking word, but we all got to have 'em.  Can't see it, touch it, can't make one, but you can buy 'em!  If you're here, you probably have a contract without a trial period, and some of us now, (who could have predicted this from the website) realize this costs more than we want to pay.  Yeah, it's our second month, 22 to go.
Phil Marhold
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Phil, I'd like to take a look at your account and see what options may be available. We certainly don't want internet to be a stress in your family, it should help to make things easier. To protect your privacy please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and I will take a look.
Photo of Rebecca Goins

Rebecca Goins

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It all depends on what you are doing on there. If you have the freedom plan if you go over 150 gigs a month then you need to slow down on the usage. I found doing a lot of downloading will take a lot of data so I try to do my major downloads once or twice a week. My kids like to watch a show about once a week does just fine.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
 the FTC said they've done this to thousands of people.    I doubt seriously you can back up this claim. Also, there is no class action suit. You agreed to arbitration in your 
Agreement with Exede. People having problems like yours are the exception NOT the rule and 90% of the problems you are describing end up being on the customers' end.
Photo of Ann Peck Morgan

Ann Peck Morgan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
every month I get restrictions after 2 and a half weks and I am the only one using mine and I do not watch videos on mine and don,t do much except social media, email and look up stuff on line
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Ann, I would love to review your account with you and discuss ways to maximize your data.  I will be glad to view your account details and check your usage categories.  Once we figure out where your data is being consumed, we can find ways to help you enjoy the activities you love.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Thank you  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Ann,

First, send an email to one of the Exede moderators (ViaSat employees) at:

exedelistens@viasat.com

Include your account information since they have no way of knowing it from your account here. They will be able to provide you with a general, categorized breakdown of your data usage, while at the same time determining whether there is a potential issue with your install.

Secondly, provide us with some information regarding your environment:

1. What operating system and version? (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Linux, etc).
  2. What Internet Browser do you use (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.)
  3. Do you have a router so you can share access with multiple devices or is your computer directly connected to the modem?
  4. What social media sites? (Facebook?)

With that some of the regulars around here will be able to provide some specific (rather than general) recommendations on how to bring your usage down.  

(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.