Data Usage issues

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

We just upgraded our account from 15 GB to 20 GB, with 6 free months of their Freedom Plan (150 GB). What a mistake!

With this new plan, we got a new modem and dish.

We have not changed our usage habits and all of a sudden they say we have used 26 GB in less than 2 weeks. This is not possible. When we had the 15 GB plan, we always had 5 or 6 GB left over at the end of the month. 

I have a program to monitor my usage from my computer and have no wifi or any other devices hooked up. In a 24 hour period, they say we have used almost 2 GB, while my computer data monitoring program (iStat) says I have used less than 700 mb in the last 72 hours. 

All I can figure is they are trying to make sure that when my 6 months of Freedom Plan expires, I will not be able to stay with the 20 GB plan. I will be forced to sign up for the Freedom Plan at an additional $40 a month! 

I think there is a class action suit in Exede's future. This is definitely something that is provable. 
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
  • seriously annoyed and ripped off...

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
If you got a new dish and modem, you upgraded from wildblue to exede, as there is no need to get new equipment if you change from one exede plan to another.  Due to the tremendous difference in speed from wildblue to exede, even if your habits don't change, it's very typical to see a multi-fold increase in your data usage.  This is not malicious on exede's part, it's simply the way the internet works.  Search these forums for help controlling this issue, and do so politely and in a non-accusatory way, and you will find it.  If you respond to the offers to help, with rhetoric like above, you will likely find nothing but frustration here.  Good luck.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Something is not right. As SM stated there is no reason for replacing your dish unless you upgraded from WB to Exede. I  hope some retailer is not pulling your chain. You need to contact one of the  Mods ASAP and give them all the details of your "upgrade." Did your account number change?
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yes, Jim, my account number changed. They said that it was going to a new satellite and the receiver was old technology, so it would improve my performance. 
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yes, Jim, my account number changed. They said that it was going to a new satellite and the receiver was old technology, so it would improve my performance. 

I don't know what a "Champion" is, but I will respond to your "offer of help". I don't believe my statement above was any sort of rhetoric. It is the truth. 

I have contacted Exede several times to talk about this subject, without help or satisfactory answers to my questions. 

I am not clueless about electronics and how computers work. I have been a ham radio operator for over 35 years and a computer user for 30. My son is a computer programmer. This is simple mathematics.

This is not a question of speed. It is the question of amount of data usage. I am not receiving more data, no matter what the speed. If you have a cup of water and pour it faster or more slowly into a bowl, it is still a cup of water.

I am not using the amount of data that Exede claims. I have been monitoring it (through a reputable software program) and they say I am using almost 4 times more than I actually am. I have no wifi turned on and nothing is slipping by unnoticed. Plain and simple... no rhetoric, just fact.
Photo of Sierra Nicole Perez

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
How far away is your modem from your dish? If its not much of a distance it could be running to much data. My husband is a tech for exede & a few other's were also having issues with their data & it could be an installation problem.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Sierra, Thanks for your reply. Hmmm... I have always thought it might be an equipment problem. I am guessing the dish is connected with about 50 ft of cable.

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
50 feet or more is fine. Anything at 20 feet or less can cause issues. If you use Netflix please go to account settings and set your pixels to low not HD. HD uses 3 g an hour where we just changed our netflix setting to low cause it was on auto and we watched hours of netflix today using 1 g or less. Think that was the major issue. We monitor our usage all the time and did after we changed our netflix and now arely used anything.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate any advice. Good to know the cable length is probably not the issue. We don't stream Netflix. I have a reliable software program that is monitoring our data usage, so even if I did stream we would see the consumption. Which is exactly my problem... I have monitored our usage this past week. The software says I have used 1.2 GB  and in the same time Exede claims that I have used over 5 GB. I only have one computer directly connected to the modem and no wifi on. There is no way to explain the lost GB, except that maybe a defective modem or Exede's Usage Meter is faulty.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes
I am not clueless about electronics and how computers work. I have been a ham radio operator for over 35 years and a computer user for 30. My son is a computer programmer. This is simple mathematics.
If you suspect cable problems switch to LMR-400-75.   loss?  what loss?

Go to your router setup page.  In the basic setup section make sure "MTU" is set to "auto" if it has an "auto" choice,  otherwise, set to 1500.  An incorrect MTU can result in data packets being re-sent over and over, all at your expense.  If you find it at 576, change to 1500.  
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Catherine, I'm sorry to hear your having trouble with data monitoring. I'd like to look into this further for you. I know you've previously spoken to our customer service, but I would like to spend some time investigating for you. Please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference this post in your email.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks Beau, I have sent a detailed email to that address. I really appreciate anything you can do to shine a spotlight on the problem.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I am reluctant to write again, but I will. All previous conversations have gotten me is unnecessary lessons on data consumption and endless going around in circles.

I know what items I have connected and what I am downloading. I don't need someone telling me that they are sorry that this is so confusing. I am not confused.

I understand electronics, computers and data usage. I only have one computer connected, no wifi on, no OS software updates... those updates require a password for permission.

I will try again, but I am not going to get my hopes up for a resolution... I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

I will post the results online when we are done.
would love to hear how it goes > I beleive the usage is accurate either . I go all the time in a short amount of time > When I connect to my verizon 4g I dont even use that much when doing the same stuff all the time
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Don't do much good to complain. Last time I complained they just said I was like someone skating uphill. It's like we got you for two years.. Just suck it up and deal with it. I'm watching too much Netflix. So if you're expecting any compassion from them... Forget it!!!

Sierra Nicole Perez

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Go to your Netflix axcount settings. Adjust the pixels to low not auto or HD. HD uses 3 g an hour. We chaneed our settings today and used less than 1 g n we watched Netflix for hours today. Def change your Netflix settings
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't stream Netflix. 
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Catherine - 

I can sympathize with your situation.  I have had the same thing happen to me on several occasions.  One thing I might recommend is getting a router / firewall that also tracks usage.  I use a Netgear that has a built in BW monitor and it helped me prove / disprove my usage several times.  In a couple of cases it turned out that my LNFZ data was getting accounted as part of my non-free usage.  In another couple of cases, it proved that I had a rogue device on my network.  If your account was switched around, there is also the possibility that something is no meshing up right in the system.

I will say the times I have emailed the address that Beau listed in the past have yielded resolutions each time.  Hopefully they will get things straightened out for you.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Catherine, it was great speaking with you. I'm glad we were able to clear some of this up and I look forward to letting you know when we get the problem resolved. For the rest of the community and Catherine's peace of mind: She is not misunderstanding! There really is a problem! :)

Talk to you soon, Catherine.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hey, Beau! It was great talking to you too! Thank you for confirming, I'm not crazy. My faith in Exede has been restored. We have been long time customers and have always been grateful for the service you provide... because otherwise, we would still be on dial-up. I look forward to hearing the resolution. Best regards!
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hey Beau, I know you said it might take a while to figure out what is wrong. Just thought I'd check in and see if there is any news. Thanks!
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I've been following the progress as it is being examined by our engineers, no answer yet. Haven't forgotten about you! :)
Photo of Stephen Alford

Stephen Alford

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Catherine.  Please post the resolution to your problem if you happen to get one.  I too have had the same issue for the past several months only for it to go unnoticed by customer support.  I never stream data, only email and web browsing.  However, I exceeded my data allowance of 10gb on the 4th day of my billing cycle.  It is very frustrating to say the least.  Thanks and take care.
(Edited)
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I will definitely post what they find out, but Beau said it might take a few days before they figure out the problem. 

Good luck, Stephen. I hope it turns out for you too!
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Stephen you also may want to send Beau and email to exedelistens@viasat.com to have them look into your account as well
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Yes Stephen be sure and do that just as KR says. Although it's in Beau's post. what a sa.
Photo of Stephen Alford

Stephen Alford

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks guys.  I will definitely send Beau an email as well.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Stephen, it was great to speak to you. I will keep you updated, and in the meantime please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.
Photo of Stephen Alford

Stephen Alford

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Beau.  I appreciate you reaching out to help me.  I look forward to hearing back from you with a possible resolution.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
This. Is. Not. A. New. Problem! 

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/these-people-rip-you-off-and-there-is-no-accountability?utm...

That thread got shut down are archived...so this one got opened instead.

At the same time that first thread was running, there was another, similar thread going, too. That one also got shut down and archived as well--'archived' meaning the community can't see it unless they actually have the link for it.

For two years, I had ZERO problems with my Exede service, and I NEVER went over my limit--which, when I started, was only 7.5 GB--in those two years. Suddenly, over the course of a few days in October 2014, however, I allegedly burned through 10GB [which I hadn't known I had, as I never knew we were upgraded BECAUSE I NEVER WENT OVER MY LIMIT] in just 18 days, despite my usage habits having been unchanged since I signed up in June 2012.

Better yet, Exede gave me 5 FREE GB 'cause they were running their 'Great Gig Giveaway' promo, and in less than 48 hours, I allegedly burned through THAT as well--despite not having ANY equipment running for the majority of that time frame. Exede then gave me another 5 free GB, and voilâ! That not only lasted me the remainder of my billing period [15 more days], but miraculously, after having the second 5GB of free data added by the company when I allegedly blew through the full first free 5GB in less than 48 hrs, I ENDED the billing period with a total usage of little over 13GB out of a total of 18GB for that month.

How was that possible?!? The math doesn't even work out correctly: my allotted 10GB plus the first free 5GB, plus the second free 5GB a day & a half later, equals a total amount of available data usage during that billing period of 20GB--yet the Excede site meter indicated that I'd only had 18GB available in that period. Where did the additional two GB go, I have to wonder?

Since my "October Surprise", as I like to call it, I've not gone beyond 6 GB usage per billing period--yet suddenly, I get an email two days ago advising me that I was approaching my limit, and allegedly had already used up 7 GB of my 10 GB with another 9 days left in my billing period. What the flugelhorns?!? Again--NOT possible. Nope. STILL don't stream anything, no Netflix or Hulu or Pandora or any of that stuff, no Internet Radio, no smart TV--I still have my cathode-ray televisions--and no telephones that can access Wi-Fi: can't get a cell signal here, so the home phone is still your basic, old-fashioned landline. It's just me here--dogs still haven't figured out how to use the computer, so they're not the culprit. No gaming, not even Facebook games; not a YouTube video consumer, have AdBlock set, have autoplay ads shut down, all updates are done on manual direction during the LNFZ, nothing has changed as far as what I use the 'Net for in the March-April billing period in comparison to those from November through mid-March. But Exede alleges that I've burned through more GB in 21 days than I use for an entire billing period any other time--save for the 2014 "October Surprise"--since I started with the service in mid-June 2014. Guess this is the "Happy Easter Event" of 2015. 

I'm going to be moving to another state in a month or so, and thus I'll be disconnecting my Exede service here at my present home, and will need to set up service at my next place, which will also be located in a rural area with "low subscriber density".  Until this past October, it never crossed my mind that I might switch Internet service providers--but with this present from Exede and Peter Cottontail, I may well need to give this very serious consideration before selecting a provider at my new home in my new state, if I have to worry about this crap happening every 5 months.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
hexe, I believe I responded to you in a different post, but if not, do please reach out to me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Just reference this post and we will take a look at what is going on.

We archive old threads when they've gone on for a while so that they don't keep getting brought back from the dead and potentially ignored. We want to help anyone who has issues, just let us know.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
 hexe you half to consider this. Exide gave you 10 free gigs to cover your loss so it didn't coast anything. I'm sure they will help you out again so at the end of the month you're connected with extra gigs regardless where they came from ''' thats not a bad deal. Just ask them Beau will be around sometime and get back with you maybe he will flip you enough to get by. I'm not denying sometimes the data gets gobbled up because mine has. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Photo of hexe

hexe

• 26 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Bobbie Blackman, I see your point, truly, but you have to consider this: for two years, I had absolutely NO problems whatsoever with this service--no outages for extended periods of time, no data burn-up, no speed crashes, nothing. I was extremely happy with the service. Suddenly, though, in October, I go through the October Surprise, and instead of thinking that perhaps it might be time to replace this modem if it's suddenly consuming data as if it were al free, I'm told that it's all my fault for using so much "Media and Audio", though I use neither, and a promise to look into whether it was something on Exede's end results in no report of anything. I was upset, true, but willing to put it off as a one-off glitch if it didn't recurr. Five months later and I'm getting the same thing, with the same allegations of "Media and Audio" data usage, when I know I STILL don't use those services, and nothing has changed since I started with the service in 2012...starting to not look like it's a 'one-off' any longer. I'd have a different outlook if there were more than one person in my home, since I could never really be sure that someone else wasn't using the data when I wasn't aware, but since it IS just me, I know what my usage is, and what my habits are. It's making me uneasy to have the same thing happen within 5 months of one another, and to get the same response from the company each time: it's your fault. I might believe that if the company admitted to having records of prior months' usage, but they claim they can't look back beyond the current billing period to see what the normal usage on an account has been. I don't buy that, either, but that's their story and they are sticking to it. Perhaps if the company were to upgrade to a REAL usage meter on their site, one that displays current as well as previous months' usage for comparison, I'd be more sympathetic. Or if they allowed their customers to 'roll over' unused data, for those of us who pay for 10GB but have only been using 6 or less per month for more than 24 months--those unused 4 GB per month would certainly serve as a 'cushion' to absorb any of these 'Surprise' events while the company tried to figure out what was going haywire. As I see it, Exede really wasn't 'giving' me 10 free GB as much as it was 'returning' 10 of the 48 or so GB  I'd paid for previously but hadn't used in previous months.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Hexe you hit on the points very well and I agree %100. Considering all the gigs I have given them I don't figure they gave me anything. The being accused of using data when we both know sometimes it just disappears isn't right. But as white eyes says Whats Customer Service anyway. If I could find anything as good I would change over. Take care and hope you get it worked out.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I am not sure why the title of this discussion says "solved". The problem is not solved.

I have been in contact with Beau and he says they are still working on it. That the problem is more widespread than first believed.

To date in this billing cycle, I have used 1 GB. Exede says I have used 4.6 GB

Not solved.

I appreciate Beau staying in contact with me and their team continuing to work on the problem, but to suggest to the rest of the community that this problem is solved, is not good customer service.

Exede should own up to the problem, not pretend it doesn't exist. If they did, it would gain respect from their customers and we would believe you are trying to make it right.

This just looks like you are trying to sweep it under the rug, with the hopes that nobody with notice the big bump in the middle of the carpet.

Beau, you have been great... I hope your company follows your lead.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Catherine, the status of posts on here are mostly used for our own internal coordination as a team. We mark posts as solved once we've gotten in touch with the primary customer posting and have escalated and resolved their issue or have explained to them the way forward. In the future this process may not be the best way as it seems to cause some confusion.

There are several other threads on this same topic and we have been honest and open with the customer's involved, as much as possible. We're not attempting to hide anything, I assure you, but understand how it may be perceived that way.

I've changed the status to "In progress" for now, hopefully this is more clear.
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Okay, Beau... Thanks for explaining it to me. I appreciate it. :-)
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Just thought everyone might be interested in an update...

Beau emailed me on April 19th and said that the problem was much larger than just my account. That they were working on it.

On April 22nd, Beau wrote to say that they had identified the problem (it was specific to some Evolution and Freedom customers). They had a fix that was going to be implemented early May. 

Since April 29th (the past 5 days), my usage and Exede's Data Usage Meter are in total agreement. 

So it looks like it might be fixed.

Yay!

Thank you Beau and Exede for sticking with the problem until a solution was found. Also, thank you for believing me and taking my complaint seriously.

I am back to being a satisfied customer.

Yay, again!
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Sometimes patience is our virchu and things work out. Glad they corrected that problem. Enjoy :) 
Photo of Catherine Wood

Catherine Wood

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
A full three weeks after the fix, both data meters still match. I think you can officially mark the problem solved. Thanks again!
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Catherine, happy to hear your issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience as some of these problems take time to identify and resolve. I’ll be sure to pass your good news along to Beau, enjoy your service!  
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Thank you Catherine  sometimes it pays to wait a bit to get the right connection of helpful people. Glad your all fixed up.
Photo of Jean Middleton

Jean Middleton

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Very interested in knowing the status of this today, 3 months later. I have been experiencing the same problem for several months now. When our normal usage was 2-3 GB per cycle, and now is being reported as maxed-out on a routine basis, it makes me suspicious. And today, with the new cycle beginning, I am already at 0.8% with 30 days to go??? This makes absolutely no sense. Unless I can see for myself where the data usage is I will not accept that I am receiving all of my data allotment per cycle. Isn't an ISP required to show data usage DATA to support their metering? Even HughesNet would provide us a daily meter that seemed to accurately reflect our usage. We DO NOT stream video (we have ActiveX filtering turned off). We no longer use social media. We are very low-data users because we have had to learn to live without a reasonable amount of data ... and coming from a background with Cisco, where I was "on" 24-7-365, I am astounded that Exede can tell me that I am using the amount of data purported.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.