Data usage is not correct!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
How could I have used 117 G after two days?  Something is wrong!
Photo of David Reynolds

David Reynolds

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of John Gordon

John Gordon

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
do you have Direct TV? and if so, is it connected to your internet? If it is, thats why your data was probably used up so quickly... stupid CS Reps didnt tell me that, and it happened to me once to, now i have my Direct TV disconnected, only time i connect it, to order a movie, then soon as i make the order i disconnect it
Photo of David Reynolds

David Reynolds

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I do have Direct TV connected to my router. Thank you!
Photo of John Gordon

John Gordon

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no problem
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
Definitely do not connect Directv to Viasat, or any other high intensity data eating service.

Best way to avoid getting hit with unsuspecting data? Turn the modem off when not using the internet.
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 87 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Not practical for those dependent on VOIP - with VOIP I'm always "using" the internet unless relying solely on its voice mail. At the same time, as soon as you turn it on, DirecTV (or Dish) is going to start chewing through your data again.

Best way to avoid unexpected usage is to monitor your data independently and know exactly what is using your data (devices, applications and when) and take action to prevent it. The problem with that is that it takes some effort and most want an easy button solution or feel that it's Viasat's responsibility. perhaps Viasat should start offering optional managed home network services to further boost their ARPU ;)

Turning the modem off simply delays the inevitable. Turning it off also leads to the belief by some that data is being used when the modem is off once the delayed usage becomes available on powering it back on - causing even more confusion for some. Indeed there's even a modem sitting out there in some FBI office with it's Internet cable cut off that's still using data after two years as I heard it and the meter never resets on its billing date - but rest easy, the Feds are on it ;)  
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
I stand by my statement :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
I unplug mine when I'm not using it.  Overnight, for sure, and during the day if I'm not going to be using it for more than an hour or so.  Actually, it's plugged into a surge protector, as is my desktop computer and its components.  I turn the surge protector off, then unplug it. 

Granted, I don't have anything that necessitates the modem being on all the time, nor do I have any data usage issues, but I do it just as a precaution.  I have for the last 14+ years.  

Dances with Woofs

• 87 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Just providing an alternative POV - everyone's capable of makeing their own decision as to what strategy is best for them - avoidance or determining the root cause. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
Absolutely.  To each his/her own.  

Dances with Woofs

• 87 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
But then again, ExSatUser has nothing to lose by standing by his statement - because he's an ex sat user ;)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
I started turning mine off because the root cause of data loss was Viasat when Exede first came out and they couldn't get the problem fixed for awhile. Since I got in the habit of doing that, I never stopped.

But my modem has been off since February. Never had to send it back being a NRTC Viasat user.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
I started unplugging mine because I didn't trust it at first.  Not that anything happened, but with only having 325MB per day at the time (2004) I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  It just became a habit.  

I have no doubt that nothing would happen if I left it plugged in, but I have no need to do so.  

I can honestly say that I've never had a data usage issue, as I've always had my devices locked down pretty well when it comes to that.   Different service, of course, but satellite internet is satellite internet and devices are devices.  I'm sure if I had ViaSat it would be the same.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
I started unplugging mine because I didn't trust it at first.  Not that anything happened, but with only having 325MB per day at the time (2004) I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  It just became a habit.  

I have no doubt that nothing would happen if I left it plugged in, but I have no need to do so.  

I can honestly say that I've never had a data usage issue, as I've always had my devices locked down pretty well when it comes to that.   Different service, of course, but satellite internet is satellite internet and devices are devices.  I'm sure if I had ViaSat it would be the same.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
I'm getting REALLY tired of this double posting.  

Dances with Woofs

• 87 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I turned mine off in the early days (circa 2012) due to Viasat problems. it took me longer than most to experience the early days of phantom data usage and it was the only way to avoid the problem before being fixed. I'd been tracking/monitoring usage independently and  determined it was indeed a Viasat issue. I simply wanted to provide Viasat with some timely information on the issue.   Perhaps some of the information I provided them privately over in the old forum helped assist them in isolating the cause - perhaps not but who knows?

Since that time and it being fixed, I'm powered on 24/7/365. As noted I prefer to know when and how the spit hits the fan in seeking an actual resolution. I prefer solving the problem rather than simply treating the symptom. Even then, Viasat is under no obligation to accept my conclusions based on my independent monitoring and it would still be a struggle to convince them that the problem is on their end if that were the case. 

Avoiding or defering the problem is also an acceptable approach but doesn't really solve the problem.

Although becoming an ex sat user and unplugging permanently eliminates the problem equally well but still doesn;t fix it for those who remain.        
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
I prefer solving the problem rather than simply treating the symptom.
Same here. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
I had detailed data I too provided them. They never acknowledged publically they had an issues, but us old timers know they did.

This week for the first time Verizon is starting to act up for me. Uncertain if temporary issue or not. If not, I could become a HughesSatUser and join Ron Frank!
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Verizon acting up? What is wrong? I noticed the sweet spot that gets the best signal changed on mine during the start of summer so I moved the Jetpack to a different location and the speeds picked back up.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
Hard to say. Probably my tower. I switched to a different Jetpack/SIM combo. Same results. I have more testing to do. Signal is strong but speed is erratic. Latency is crazy high. Like satellite!

Been flaky all week.

Edit: Through some more troubleshooting problem somewhere within my home network. So it is one of the routers or cables. Joy. Troubleshooting and I dont have EasyCare ;)
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2011 Posts
  • 1230 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, what happens with DirecTV receivers is that they switch to using your internet for the downloading of guide and program updates.  I also suspect that they download those instant watch movies that are normally downloaded through their own dish, and those are multi GB each.  If they're in 4K... eek! 
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 307 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
For both DTV and Dish, when you search for a show it will also search for on demand items and not just things to record. 50/50 on if it will record it or try and download it.