Data usage counts wrong

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am a network trace engineer for Microsoft for the last 9 years and have been working in the network industry for the last 24 years. I recently moved into a lake house and ordered Exede Service. After the technician hooked up the satellite, I logged in to set up my account and it showed 2.1GB of usage after 10 minutes (and the only thing I was doing was setting up my account) because of that I connected my network sniffer behind my router to get a 100% accurate byte count. It ran all night and the sniffer hardware showed 900mb of data over night. When I logged on to my Exede account it showed 9.1GB.

It's obvious there is a problem. It is either with the way they collect the data or how they calculate, but they need to focus on the problem and fix it. It is obvious I'm not receiving the service I am paying for. I would like an answer from Exede and lacking that, I would say this is prime for a class action suit. If I can hook up a network sniffer, so can others and I would say that if this has been going on for months or years across all Exede customers, this could be millions of dollars they are bilking us out of.

Photo of mackals

mackals

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I had to have a report sent to tech support a couple days ago because of 6 gb showing up on my account in 4 days and was not even home half that time and working in the yard also. I still have not heard back but since I filed now I have only used 1.2 gb in 3 days which is probably right for the last 3 days since it was raining and couldnt get out 2 of those days BUT I also stopped using my LNFZ on the last 3 days and used a bunch on the days of the spike.
Photo of Kim s

Kim s

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The same thing is happening to me!
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Kim, sorry you're having trouble - we can fix it. Send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference your post in your email.
Photo of Kim s

Kim s

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have called repeatedly. If you can fix it you should fix it for everyone. It is obvious that there is a serious problem here.
Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I have had same experience, and am frustrated with Exede response. I am beginning to doubt what they are telling me as being truthful and accurate. Exede needs to wake up and remember that providing an honest service, and providing quality customer service is the secret to good business. Unfortunately it seems to me they are going in the opposite direction.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Jack, I assure you we are not attempting in any way to mislead you. If there's an issue, we want to find it and fix it. We'll continue working on it.
Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Beau, I look forward to your resolution of this problem which would restore my faith in your company, but I must admit right now I am pretty disolutioned and frustrated.

Thanks,
Jack
Photo of Mary Rauh

Mary Rauh

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I too have problems with data usage counts. We do not watch movies, down load music or stream anything. We completely turn off the computers when we are not using them--which is something we never had to do before we upgraded.  We upgraded from Wildblue to Exede because we were told we were one step above dial up, and wish we never would have done it. We are gone all day long, check email in the morning and evening. We run out of G with 10 days left in our month. We have a secure modem. We have called Exede to have it checked out and each time, they tell me I can purchase more Gs.  I'm already paying $20/mo more than I did before and never ran out of data usage with the Wildblue, and get to use my home computer less than before.  I have a website for my business and can't update it from home because I run out of G's. Who cares about the Free Zone, I sleep between midnight and 5:00am.  If I knew who to report this company to, I would.  I am very dissatisfied and can't seem to get any help.
Photo of Kim s

Kim s

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the same issues! I am so frustrated with this company!
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

I was thinking of switching over from hughes net to here but seems it is the same problems with a different name.  didn't  they boast that speeds with exede were higher than the plans showed usually? what happened there? lol

Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Usually they are, now from time to time people get speeds slower then normal.  Last night I did a speed test just for the heck of it and it was showing like 16 by 4
Photo of Ebal Nolom

Ebal Nolom

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Like Knight Rider said, speeds vary over the course of the day depending on the particular beam you are on and the level of user saturation.
I just did a quick check here.

Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
@mackals

I've been using Exede for almost 18 months and have not had a problem with data consumption although it is clear that many have. 

Thank you for doing actual network forensics. I've contemplated a network sniffer but haven't had the time or inclination to operationalize it.

Please keep us informed as this unfolds.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
It's good to know that someone with such great credentials confirms what so many of us have seen on our own accounts.

I wonder if that contract we signed to get Exede service waived our  right to take them to court and restricted grievances to arbitration? The problem with all of the class action suits I have seen is that the typical settlement results in small, very small, payouts to members of the class, and a multi-million dollar payout to the attorneys. Still, from Exede's point of view a class action would be financially painful and really hurt their ability to recruit and retain customers.

So come on, Exede. There's a problem with your data measurement system. It's broke. Fix it!
Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I agree!!! Wish they would fix the issue, quit replying with mere rhetoric, but offer real factual explanations and solutions, and good customer service!
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Mackals, I'd like to troubleshoot this with you. It certainly seems like there is an issue and your expertise would be helpful as we investigate. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference your post in your email.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Mackals - 

Just to be clear for my own curiosity, did you place the sniffer between your router / firewall and the Exede modem or did you place it between your router / firewall and the rest of your client systemst?  I am just curious as it would be interesting to see what the byte counts from both sides of that look like.  From your post I would conclude it was between your network and the firewall / router.  Of course it could be that you don't have a router in place and are just plugged directly into the Exede modem in which case I totally misread the post.

What sniffer are you using?  I have placed a makeshift system in place running Wireshark with two bridged NICs in it as a poor man's sniffer before.  It might be fun to set two of these up - 1 before the router / fireall and 1 after it to compare the traffic.  I often wonder if there might be a difference in packet / byte counts due to some sort of settings on the Exede network.

Please keep us up to date with your findings as I am very interested to see the conclusions.
Photo of mackals

mackals

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Sorry, Just getting back to this. I sniffed the outbound side of the router so I could capture all traffic coming through the router and hitting the sat modem. I used WireShark also. It's really overkill to just measure volume but I had it loaded up so that's what I used.

Just an FYI for everyone on the thread. If you happen to be using a NetGear Router, the firmware on the router includes a traffic meter. Since I don't intend to dedicate a machine all month long to watch the traffic (but I do want to make sure Exede is counting accurately), I have done a couple of things:

1.) Connected a single machine to the router and only allowed that single MAC address to connect. Along with WPA encryption, this will make sure no one is hacked into the router (well.. as sure as you can be nowadays... but really... no one is going to drive 30 miles in the country to hack my router..)

2.) Enabled the Traffic Meter on the router

3.) On the Windows 8.1 machine connected to the router, I zeroed the byte count on the network connection and enabled it to show data usage when I open the network connection.

For all intents and purposes this will show me a fairly accurate approximation of what I'm seeing going into the router and coming out of the router to the Exede Modem. I would expect to see a 2% to 5% difference in what I'm seeing on the computer and router because the data usage on the computer doesn't count local broadcast traffic, etc. BUT.. if I see a large discrepancy between what I'm seeing on the local computer and the router vs the Exede modem, I will connect the sniffer back up and expect to go deep with the Network analysts at Exede. I can send them traces and they can compare to what they say I'm doing (but I'm not going to pay to upload the huge trace file that will get generated... just saying...)

Photo of Larry Lockie

Larry Lockie

• 37 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Sounds pretty thorough.
I found another helpful fix for not allowing Windows updates also. Search for this file "add_gpedit_msc_by_jwils896-d3kh6vm". This uses the GPEDIT.MSC command to administratively Set Windows to NOT start any update downloads before Midnight Have to set that time)

Type in gpedit.msc in search of run window. 
Click on first Administrative Template
Click on Windows Components
Click on windows Update
Click on configure automatic updates
In window that opens, Mark Enable
Below set time to 00:00
I also checked Install during automatic maintainance
At bottom of window hit Apply and OK.
Worked perfectly last night. Checked eSVT and all downloads were after Midnight.
So far, So good!!
This command is already in Pro and above versions and the above file makes it work on the lower versions of win 7, 8, 8.1, 10 Tech Preview.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I would further like to capture information the beams where people have been experiencing problems. Does anyone believe that would be of value?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Having that information as well as gateway and more importantly core node (Accelenet server) proved useful in isolating some data corruption issues many were having in January to the Salt Lake City core node - ultimately yielding a quick resolution.

For those unfamiliar with how to determine their beam and gateway, the beam map at:

http://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png

can be used to determine beam/gateway pairing (fairly easy to determine provided your not near overlappping beam areas) .

Determining core node (or Accelenet server) requires doing a tracert and generally the 5th or 6th hop in the tracert represents your core node. It used to be a little easier since that hop was generally the one with an easily recognized city in the name. With changes however, it helps to know airport codes (or so it appears).

Executing tracert google.com I get 

slc-edge-11.inet.qwest.net [72.164.196.113]

for the 6th hop with slc representing the Salt Lake City core node.

P.S. Those of us who subscribe through NRTC have an easier way to determine our beam and gateway - it's right there on our account pages - ViaSat would do well to do the same.     
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I wonder if those this month with the spikes is on a different update in their modem I know here back here in the forums we were noticing some people got an update other people did not get. I got a spike and am on Software version 2.2.4.0.5. How about posting your software version if you got the mysterious disappearing GBs. ....ANd yea I think its beam or software related especially since no one is getting any answers back from tech support. I have been waiting a couple days already and normally I get an answer in 24 hours. Which also leads me to believe there was a high amount of users with the same trouble which would cause longer wait time for tech to give us an answer.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Good suggestion in addition to the others mentioned above. In January, those of us experiencing data corruption issues had all received a modem software update. It was never definitively stated, however, the suspicion at that time was incompatibility between the modem software and core node software.

Obviously, it can't be solved here but you might be able to get efforts focused on the right haystack if not the needle and a differential diagnosis may help.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I too am having data issues.  I was hit wwith a Data restriction because they said I had capped out.  I Called and they told me they could apply a free reset because I am a loyal customer. After 30 minutes it said I Had used up all the Gigs.  They tried it again and it capped out after a few minutes.  I was told The tech people would look into the issue and call me back in 24-48 hours.   I didnt get a call.
 I called just a few minutes ago and was told " oh we will probably have to send someone out to look at the modem. They will call you to set up a appointment in 24-48 hours."

I had to speak to atleast 5 different people, one phone service rep was rude and told me its my fault that I have a Virus, I assured her I ran several scans and nothing showed up, then she told me I was wrong.

Generally I have great service with Wildblue/exede, have used them almost 10 years.  This is the first time I am now seriously considering going to their competitor.  The level of customer service has dropped way down, and I feel like I am getting ripped off on the Data usage. 
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Try disconnecting everything from the modem. Add more data, wait 24 hours, then check to see if there was any leakage due to the modem itself.  If you do find there was leakage, then try again, add data, but this time unplug your modem for 24 hours, then reconnect and check.  Exede accesses a data counter in your modem to meter your usage. 
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
We did that. Unplugged everything for a couple hours. Added 5 gigs and the data was gone in minutes according to Wildblue.   Im not paying for anymore data until they can tell me whats the problem . 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I refuse to let them take more of my money for their mistake. I do not buy extra GB if I did not use the ones I had. I quite like Exede as a provider but wont pay for something I do not get and would get with another provider. I am an Elite customer and up until now have never had to wait this long for a reply for a problem.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Steve, I'd like to work with you to resolve this. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference your post in your email.
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Beau Its beeen over 48 hours since I have emailed you in response to this and I have not heard a word from anyone. Why tell people to contact you if you will not answer them? i AM GROWING EXTREMELY Frustrated with this entire situation, so much so I am probably going to call Hughesnet.  This lack of customer service is deplorable
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Steve, glad I was able to catch you and discuss this. I appreciate your patience and understanding as we work out what exactly the issue is. Please let me know if anything else comes up.
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
MY software Version is 2.2.4.0.5
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Beam number and core node are probably more relevant - see post about 4 above.   
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
BEam 8329
Core node I get  #6slc-edge-11.inet.qwest.net [72.164.196.113]
 #7dvr-edge-13.inet.qwest.net [67.14.24.93]
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yours is actually bean 329 the first digit is a B not 8 I am on beam Beam 325 and get the same as  Old Lab did above #6 slc-edge-11.inet.qwest.net [72.164.196.113] all others just have IP addresses other then the last one
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Too small of a sample to draw any real conclusions but I'm also on 329, Lovelock and SLC like Steve. No usage issues here other than those that are of my own making this month and consistent with my routers statistics (and then not enough to indicate a problem but just my heavier than normal usage). If it were simply that combination there would be any number of regulars around here weighing in with similar problems I would think.   

However it does appear Sonya is in an area (beam 325) where the new Essential and Liberty Plans are being offered which may be relevant assuming her spike coincides with the new plan roll-outs. With their introduction, I envision that the usage tracking algorithm has some increased complexity now and more room for error. But again just guessing...
(Edited)
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Where I am, at least, the plans are called Evolution and Freedom.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
that is what they use to be here too have you gone to www.exede.com and put your zip code in they just released new packages and from what i hear you can not even get the Evolution and Freedom packages now that they are released in this area. And all these complains seemed to start as soon as they started the new packages. Unless you look at the web page with your zip code you would not know they are in your area Nicholas
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
They dont even list the lans that are available anymore when I put my zip in, just says contact dealer
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
Steve, that would indicate that the beam you are on is nearing capacity.
Photo of Richie

Richie

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
We also recently added an extra GB to help us get to the next billing cycle and it was gone instantly. We have only been with excede for a month and I can already see that it was a huge mistake. We are paying for service that we can barely use. We also were not informed that it was a 2 year contract by our installer. 2 years is all they will be getting from me.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Richie, please shoot me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com so that I can take closer look at your daily traffic related toward your consumption. I would like to find a resolution for you and your rapid data consumption. Thank you -Exede Lindsey 
Photo of Mary Rauh

Mary Rauh

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Is there any place where I can look at MY own daily traffic related toward my consumption to see if it is being used up when I am not even home?
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
If you can get the Evolution plan, it doesn't measure or throttle simple web browsing or emails with less than a 25MB attachment. Then, even if you cap out from other usage, mainly video, music and pictures, and software updates, it doesn't affect your web access or email, and the free zone is 3AM to 8AM, great for early birds, less so for night owls.

The installer is a contractor who does the grunt work of installing and setting  up your hardware. The matter of the 2-year contract is plainly spelled out on the Exede website and in the paper contract you signed when the installer brought it to you.  You do read contracts before signing them, don't you?

Even at the $50 monthly level, you're looking at a $1200 commitment plus equipment rental or lease of another$240.  However, if you are not able to resolve your data leakage problem and decide to cancel early you will pay an early termination fee that is much less than that $1440 total.
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Cant get the Evolution plan in areas they put out the new plans in
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Sonya, if there are any internal data issues concerning your consumption then this is a major concerned and needs to be fixed. I would be more than happy to review your account, find out what’s going on and fix this issue as soon as possible. Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you -Exede Lindsey 
Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
The issue regarding data usage is continuing into this period.

Last night when I went to bed I was at 600 mb. At midnight I started updates and downloads on the midnight to 5 "free zone" this morning when I got up my data usage shows I am at 1.6 GB USED ALREADY after just the first day of the new period. Obviously, the data I used during the "free zone" is being counted against my data usage.

Can you please correct this? I don't want to be throttled again this month, after only a couple weeks. I am watching the data, used by my calculations and your calculations as well and there is substantial discrepancy there as well, but these are your counts.

This continuing unresolved issue is very frustrating!

Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Jack, I can defiantly understand the frustration concerning your data consumption. Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com  I would like to review your account and track were exactly the GB's are going too. Thank you for posting - Exede Lindsey   
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Defiantly?
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be definitely.

Blame it auto-correct with a sense of humor.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Nicholas, I have taken the opportunity to give my coworker grief for the typo. Thanks for the heads up!
Photo of marc

marc

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have an Exede Business Account and have had massive data leakage since switching from Exede Residential 3 weeks ago.  I have contacted Exede customer service and Tech service a number of times, and today they sent out a technician to replace the modem (I don't think that's the problem, but that was Exede's "next" solution.)

I had some data leakage while with Exede Residential, which I had for 14 months. Data leakage seemed to run about 50MB per day, so it resulted in a manageable 1 to 2 GB per month (I had the 25GB plan). However, during February and March of 2015, data leakage went up and I soon found I was "exceeding" the Exede 25 GB plan. Exede said that by switching to Exede Business, with a dedicated IP, I should see much improved data management. Therefore I bit the bullet, paid another $299, and moved to the Exede Business 30GB plan.

OOOPS. I switched on April 12, and by April 15, 20 GB of data had been consumed. We don't stream video or music (other than the occasional YouTube), and this data consumption was 5 times my consumption from the previous month while on Exede Residential (I we had not changed any of our behaviors or connected equipment). We are not "cloud bound", don't game online, and sync everything through direct connection. We generally do not command a lot of data. However, when I contacted Exede (on numerous occasions), they continually tried to figure out what I was doing wrong! 

In the meantime, another 10 GB of data disappeared in a matter of days. 
Well, my continuing efforts to figure this out have been in vane. Exede has now recorded more than 40 GB of data usage in the past 16 days, and I have been forced to purchase 10GB of extra data to keep marginal connectivity.  My data meter shows that the modem keeps an "open" data connection to the static IP address  that eats between 1 and 2 KB/sec with no actual connected device activity. We have disconnected everything from the modem and are using a cellular hotspot to survive and stay reasonably connected.  I had to buy a GB of data today to get the new modem tested. I just checked and in about 30 minutes, a quarter of the data was lost.

I can only hope that Exede wakes up - there is a constant data loss in the system, probably to keep satcom, and with the static IP on the business account, the satcom packet requirements seem to be astronomical. 
Photo of marc

marc

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Final note
When talking with Exede they said they could not monitor current usage, but had to look back to the previous 24 hours. However, the "usage" page clearly monitors real time usage, since it cuts me off pretty quickly when my current extra GB purchase is consumed. 

By the way, I meant "in vain" above.
Photo of J F

J F

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is also my experience using my router to calculate my data usage and account for both up and down stream Exede is typically off by 1-2GB per month. Exede has already claimed that I have packet loss, but how does that count for my usage?
I am now going to more closely monitor, because this has become such a bad user experience that Exede must be corrected, and since they are not doing it on there own it is up to their customers. On that note I will not be using Exede after my contract is up, I would rather have a working dial-up connection then a internet that gets turned off constantly.
Photo of Larry Lockie

Larry Lockie

• 37 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Packet loss is due to Weather, antenna aiming, Modem problem, Bad TRIA (Radio), or on into Gateway and beyond. Just "Packet Loss" is not a good enough answer.
Any time a packet is "Lost" the Internet protocol demands a retransmission until it gets the right information. A tree limb or even a small twig in the sight path can cause havoc. Visually check the line of sight, loose hardware, loose connections, corroded connections, etc. 
Again, Packet loss is NOT a viable answer without further examination on all parties ends. Exede and the customer.
Photo of tim august

tim august

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for running this analysis.  I've long suspected that there was some major disconnect between how Exede "counts" data and the rest of the world does.  I know this, because I hit my 5GB cap, usually within days of reset, and never because of any downloads or unusual traffic on my end.  I sure as sh*t never have 5GB of data on my end to account for the use on their end.  My port sniffers and network utilities have never come within an order of magnitude of the use Exede ascribes to my connection.  Nice to know I'm not the only user who has seen and tested this.

That said, my experience with Exede CS points to either ignorance, incompetence or outright prevarication.  There is no point in raising an issue, no point in contacting CS, and just today I had a CSR feign ignorance that escalation was even a possibility for a technical issue I'm having.
Photo of Charlotte Lawrence

Charlotte Lawrence

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have had this problem for about 5 months now.  Each month I have to purchase at least another GB of data.  I have called and they say they can't run usage meter that shows where all the data is going (only a general usage).  I was told I probably have a virus (I don't) then I was told I have 30 GB of data (because I am such a good customer) that I can use in increments of 5GB a month.  I asked when that began because I had been paying all this time for extra. She couldn't tell me when it began or how long it had been on my account (worst customer service I have experienced with any company). Following month same thing, called to get 5GB was told that was only a promo thing and it had expired. WTF?! This past weekend we went over.  Purchased another GB of data.  Next day, (no one had been home, all devices off) all the data was used. I hate this company and their customer service, it is the worst I have ever experienced.  They are liars and no one tells you the same thing.  Each time you call you get a different answer to the same problem (and none are acceptable or helpful).  I will be canceling as soon as possible. 
Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I have experienced same thing the last two months in particular. Data being used when nothing on, high amounts of data used during time periods that if you do the math are not possible with the speeds of the service. When reported I get yes we can see a problem, and someone will get back with you. I never hear back, I complain and it starts the whole sequence over again, with nothing ever resolved, no responses other than can't see any issues. This month again, with no video, audio services, file transfers, have used over 4 GB in less than four days. Been waiting three days for response, since I was charged almost 2 GB during the free Zone time on day number 1 of the period, and still have not heard anything, been credited anything etc.

Very frustrating........
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Jack, we have called you a few times and I emailed you today. We certainly want to get this resolved for you. I look forward to working with you to resolve these issues.
(Edited)
Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Beau, I got your email. Thanks for the information. My phone did not ring all day. Look forward to hearing that this situation is solved.

Thanks,
Jack
(Edited)
Photo of Billy Dunbar

Billy Dunbar

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
i'm a new user, and as  I read it  worry's me.  With all these problems by people?  I am thinking did I do the right thing by signing on?  I just went through and still having problems like this with Hughes Net, what is going on with these people?
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 558 Posts
  • 395 Reply Likes
It looks like a lot of problems because this is where people come when they have problems. The vast majority don't have problems so they aren't on here posting about it. Beyond that, the majority of people posting about data loss are actually using it one way or another.. They haven't learned how to budget data like you have to on sat internet or their computer isn't locked down.

This said, Exede does have problems occasionally and they're not forthcoming about it. In a little over two years we have been hit twice with a data loss that wasn't our fault, once when the LNFZ didn't start until about 2am and once when almost 4 gigs just disappeared within 15 minutes but except for that we use about what Exede says.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Billy - There are more than 650,000 users that aren't posting problems here.  As David said, a lot of the complaints are from people who haven't figured out how to budget their data usage, or didn't do their homework before signing up for satellite Internet and are disappointed with reality.  I have only seen a few "legitimate" complaints where there was a poor installation or where there were issues with the phone-in customer service (and we only hear one side of the latter).
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Just because someone isn't here posting doesn't mean they don't have problems.  Many of those people may not be aware of the forum, or simply not interested in using the forum.  I caught a comment by one of the Exede reps in one of the forums in the past couple weeks in regards to the Liberty plan that one of the reasons it was developed was that the majority of the customers do not use the LNFZ and want more access.  In addition to that comment was that also the majority of the people using the forums are those that are heavy users of the LNFZ.  So in my opinion it's a favorite comment to try to claim that all those customers are not having problems because they are not here, but I would bet a high percentage of them likely are having issues as well for what ever reasons.  Some may be their side and some Exede.
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 64 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
A exede Rep told me there is a problem with some people on Exedes end in regards to missing Data.  My account shows such a massive amount of Data used in such a short time that it would be impossible, even if I was at 15Mbps constantly.  There is no way I was using 2 gigs in 15 minutes.  

Sorry Jep there is a real problem.
Photo of Ebal Nolom

Ebal Nolom

• 35 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I'm afraid that if an Exede user isn't savvy enough to find this or the other Exede website, they probably don't have a prayer in figuring out how to manage their data usage.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Ebal, it can be easy to forget when viewing these forums, but the vast majority of customers do not have trouble with their data usage. The customer's that end up in these forums tend to be more active, savvy users. There are certainly customers out there struggling to manage their data who do not know about the forums, but generally they are a small minority.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I've been with Exede for 16 months. In the first month, I was shocked at how quickly 10GB disappeared. A few VOD shows and I received the "you're at 70%" warning. It didn't take me long to determine what sucked data and I've adjusted my activity. 
  1. VOD only at night. I've implemented a way so I don't have to stay up until midnight to kick off a recording.
  2. Neither Smart Phone in the house is allowed to autonomously connect to the router.
  3. Whenever I walk away from the laptop (and even when I'm using it but don't have any need for the Internet) I turn the wireless laptop radio off.
In the ensuing 15 months I've lived within my 10GB limit.

That said, early in this billing cycle, I inadvertently left the laptop wireless radio on (connected to the Internet) for more almost two days. I was horrified to find I had used almost 5 GB. I was certain that I had a data leak.

So, over the last weekend I ran a test. Friday afternoon, when I unplugged the router from the satellite modem, I had used 7.3 GB. I left the router disconnected until about 10PM Sunday. Over the weekend I checked usage several times (not from home). The usage meter didn't change.

Sunday, when I returned home, the usage meter was still at 7.3GB.

My conclusions:
  1. Leaving my laptop connected to the Internet for almost two days used a ton of bandwidth,
  2. I do not have a data leakage problem.
  3. Others could have different experiences.
How many people have tried disconnecting for a few days to watch their data leakage? And by disconnect, I don't mean simply not using the Internet. I mean disconnecting your router and anything else that connects to the satellite box.

Of course, you'll have to check your data usage from a coffee shop or library or Smart Phone.
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I still have problems with my internet but I have learned not to say a damn thing about it for the shear fact that it won’t get fixed &/or corrected they still want their payment but really don't give a damn that the customer can use it or not. none of my posts on here or on the wildblueworld forum have really been answered by exede reps just marked as solved or flat out removed from the forums. And to be quiet honest nobody should have to be trained to not use a service that they pay for. I still have my dial up service that I used 24/7 365 for 15 years and only pay $10 bucks for it and I still have to rely on it to get most of my work done. You hit your dap and exede BLOCKS out steam and xbox live but I can connect up my old router with that same dailup account that I've had for 15 years to them  and poof they connect and STAY connected for as long as I need them No I can not download updates well I could if I wanted them to take 15 days to download. The late nite free zone what a damn joke!!!! That is the same times exede does their updates to the gateways!!! So I can't use that for all my updates a such. Oh correction from 11:00 PM to 07:00 am CST but still covers the entire LNFZ period. And hughsnet uses this same service for all of their forum posts the real name that host all this is called  "getsatisfaction" It was at one time an opensource project and yes I also did some code for it in the early days of the project. And just my two cents if VIASAT really wants to fix all this then 1. put 20 reps on these forums that can actually do something other than pass things along 2. give your long time customers that have been with exede from the start better pricing and better plans. 3. stop all this champion BS and refer to number 1. VIASAT has the $$$$ to do this you are not some 10 man band type company. Yes I do follow your stock and I have eyes and can see your company is making money.  I know that all of this can get fixed if exede/viasat put money and manpower behind it.
Photo of Jared

Jared

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
i see alot of people here and at hughes net threatening to switch to the opposite, i laugh so hard when i see this as they are EXACTLY the same.or when people say there gonna sue or "turn them over the the gov" a bit of common sense can go a long ways but seems most lack that nowdays.   PS  I WAS BANNED FROM HUGHES FORUMS YESTERDAY FOR DEFENDING MYSELF FROM ONE OF THERE CHAMPS THAT CUSSED ME OUT ON THE FORUM, NO I DID  NOT CUSS BACK nor say anything out of line.but i got the ban, not there puppet.now i will most likely be banned here for this post, they absolutely hate the TRUTH so spread the TRUTH. for those that are "gonna switch to hughes from exede have a look at this and see if yall wanna be treated like trash everytime you have a problem or issue
Photo of Larry Lockie

Larry Lockie

• 37 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
See what you mean. Since I install for both, I see the same stuff. Too bad people have to stoop to the language thing. Shows their ignorance.
Photo of Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've been reading these instances of wrong data usage counts for a while now and wonder how many of the you people having issues are using routers? We only use Exede for our cabin in the mountains and the only issues we've had are when we first got an Amazon Fire TV box. The issue was that the first use update for some reason would never complete until I took it to our home and used Comcast broadband to do the update. Once we did that and let the ViaSat modem update all issues went away.

Back to the data usage issue...I have been checking our account and never have noticed any data being used when we were not at the cabin. Now we don't have a router on it and I never leave the computer plugged in when we are not using it. I'm wondering if any of these data issues are from people that 1. have routers. 2. leave their PCs plugged in and on.  3. have routers and many wireless devices that connect to it (like PC, phone, Xbox, etc.).

Ours is about the most basic system one could use...Exede dish into the ViaSat modem, cable into the PC or Amazon Fire TV box (so essentially only using one device at a time.  The only time we've gone over our 10 GB is when we've streamed like crazy over Christmas at the cabin.  Anyway, just my 2 cents worth and observation.
Photo of Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
kat, I wasn't insinuating that you were an idiot and didn't know what uses data. I was just stating what conditions I have for us and what I have observed.  I'm was just trying to add to the discussion to see if anyone else has tried what I stated. I know this is a touchy issue and emotions run high on this subject.  I can't tell you what is causing the problem for some people, all I know is what has occurred with us.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
You probably fall into the 1% of Exede users who leave their modem powered off most of the time. Hardly typical of the majority who keep the modem on all the time, use a WiFi router, and have multiple devices connected. Try leaving your modem powered on when you're not at the cabin and see what happens.  The usage meter that Viasat uses is inside your modem and is read remotely over the satellite.
Photo of Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Nicholas, I would do that, but given that we only get up to the cabin once every other weekend, I really don't want to leave it plugged in for two weeks...also because we are off the grid and don't want to pull the batteries down for something we're not using. I do plug the modem in on Friday when we get up there, but I unplug it on Sunday afternoon before we leave.
Photo of Andrea

Andrea

• 26 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Sure looks like many of us are having the same problem this month.  If you read the thread I started a couple days ago it's the same issue.  I RARELY use LNFZ as I'm not up, but Friday night I stayed up late to upload files.  Next day it shows I had used 9 gb's only 4 days into my data month.  I have only gone over my data limit once in the year I've had it, and that was my doing.  I just got off the phone with tech support and was told all my files were uploaded after 5 am.  That's entirely NOT true as I was done and in bed by 12:45, I even sent them a screen shot to prove it.  Guy couldn't answer.  Just kept saying I see what you're saying.  Well what the heck is going on?  He told me they've been doing some sort of update and maybe that changed the times.  Well how is that MY fault?  And why do I now have to be on low speed because Exede screwed something up?  I'm livid.   They offered me some extra data but that doesn't solve the problem and it's not enough to get me thru the month at this rate.  Just as an added thought - I don't add any other devices to my router/modem.  And why did it only happen this one time?  
Photo of Sandra Hansen

Sandra Hansen

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When you move into a house you want to get things set up quickly.  You think..how bad could this service be?  We should be able to do a two year contract....  This excede contract has been our biggest mistake ever.  I can't wait to be done with it.  We only have a choice between 10, 15, and 25 gb in our area.   I have two kids in a digital classroom who rely on their Ipads and I can't even let them on it at home for fear of losing more data.  Oddly, there have been times where we can make it to the end of the month with 20 gb, sometimes we end a few days short and I'll pay the extra 10 dollars for an extra gb.   This month we hit the 20 gb in 4 days.  How does that happen?  I'll admit I don't understand how it all gets sucked up.  I email, shop on amazon, surf on FB and look at a video here or there on youtube and fb,  We'll rent a movie twice a month from Direct tv.  I leave the computer on, which according to others maybe we need to just unplug the modem and router? If I could figure out what a sniffer is and where to buy one, how to set it up, and if it is reliable that I actually have a case to fight with excede that would be great...if it's just me being dumb about leaking data on my own I'd like to know.  I can't tell the difference.  I bet a lot of people have issues and regrets with this service, but are like me and don't want to sound like a fool in a forum.  I thought it was important to speak up.  I hope more people do.
Photo of Jared

Jared

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
just don't make the same mistake as others and switch to hughes net thinking it will be any better cause it won't.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Sandra,

Getting a handle on your data usage is a daunting task at best. Hopefully an Exede moderator will weigh in on your post and request that you send your account information to them via email. They'll be able to provide you with a categorized, general breakdown of your usage and determine whether there is a "mechanical" problem with your modem or service.

Barring that, most don't find the categorized breakdown of usage too helpful in getting a handle on their usage but it's a start.

Some data usage tips can be found here:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-tips

However, with satellite internet anbd capped data plans you'll find it necessary to constantly keep an eye on your usage (web site developers come up with new ways to burn through your data on nearly a daily basis).

The easiest way to do that is with your router if it has sufficient traffic monitoring facilities. If not, you'll find investment in a new router that does have that is well worth the cost. My current recommendation for router is the ASUS RT-N66U - but others have their own preferences.
(Edited)
Photo of Jared

Jared

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
no no no, hughes has the same DATA PROBLEMS , it is most definitly on there end, i have been told countless times that 99 percent of the time it is not a router problem that most claim. there is however that 1 percent of router misconfigureations. best thing to do is leave the lan cable plugged into the modem and take everything off of your side randomly. and keep a eye on the data.do not connect ANYTHING but do leave the lan cable hanging out of the modem. screenshot your data ,leave modem on and lan plugged in but do not plug into anything, this will eliminate any router,pc,laptop or problems on your end.if the data still disappears then there is your answer. then try it with the modem unplugged(yes i have lost data with the modem unplugged .) i left my modem unplugged for 3 days while i was gone and when i got back had alot of data that was missing,pulled up the useage and they said that i had been downloading heavily for the past few days which was not possable since i was gone and the modem was unplugged.i believe this is due to the "shareing" of the ip addresses between customers.and noone had access to my home.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
To clarify, barring any mechanical or software problems on ViaSat's side (this ain't HughesNet), there is no reason to unplug anything or turn off anything - I leave mine on 24/7/365 or 366 in leap tears simply putting my devices to sleep (we don't like to use that phrase around here) and have never gone over my 10GB limit except once and that was intentional.

If a problem occurs with usage for the wrong reason it's best to have them on when it occurs and contact support and get it escalated (and hope you receive a proper credit) if you in fact want the problem fixed - you can't diagnose spit if everything is turned off Avoiding a problem and getting it fixed are two separate things.

Leave it on, take one for the community and help get it fixed... or not.

In Exede's case, data is reported at regular intervals, unplug your modem, comeback later and plug it in and all data that hadn't been reported prior to unplugging and after the last usage check will show up - whether a significant amount depends on what you were doing prior to unplugging. The usage meter is always a glimpse at that past.

Regardless of whose problem it is, knowing what your usage is will help make a more reasoned argument with ViaSat - a quality router with adequate traffic monitoring is your friend in that regard and is a small price to pay for sanity.

(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Sandra, I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence and that the following will help you determine where your data is going:

1 hr./day web browsing = 1.8 GB/month

10 emails/day = 0.003 GB/month

2 hrs./ week social media = 0.514 GB/month

15 photos/week = 0.193 GB/month

20 file downloads/week = 0.257 GB/month

1 hr./day streaming music = 1.2 GB

15 min./week video chat = 0.103 GB

2 hrs./month std def movies = 1.5 GB

2 hrs./month hi def movies = 4.6 GB

My first suspicion would be your DirecTV. Be sure you do not keep it connected to your modem except for when you specifically need it. As you can see above, a couple of HD movies alone will suck up most of your monthly data. Satellite internet is not for people who want to do much video.

Photo of Larry Lockie

Larry Lockie

• 37 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Just researched That very issue except with Dish networks. Have a hopper and Joey both of which have internet access.,
Have 4 routers of varying degrees of sophistication and finally settled on a Netgear WNDR 3700 V4. It has the ability in Advanced Settings to set Access Control. 
Sellected  the Hopper and Joey, and set them to not allow internet access from 0500 to 2400. Also did the same with My HP Printer which has internet print capabilities. Have been watching Modem activity, and Router Traffic meter.
So far lookin' good.
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Sandra, I know you've already seen the helpful information here from the community members, and I'd also like to take a look and give you some additional details. Please send me an email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. Please reference your post in your email and we'll get this sorted out.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.