Data Usage questions and concerns

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

There seem to be MANY problems with customers having their data completely disappearing, even when their computers are completely offline.

Ive been told it must be 'hackers' and so many other ridiculous explanations... with absolutely no solutions.

Im not usually the type to propose long winded legal actions, but this is so insanely annoying and not ok that a company conducts itself like this.

For the sake of all involved, please chime in with your similar experience. Lets make this the central thread and show this ridiculous company that this is not an isolated incident. Its clear that their solutions are intended to simply create mysteries that 'cant be solved' and to blame the customer or some random unknown issue that isnt their responsibility...

Speak your mind people. This is BS.

Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
  • Completely Frustrated.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
Facebook will eat your data like a hungry dog, even if you turn off the autoplay for videos. It will refresh itself every minute or so, updating the newsfeeds. This means it is loading pictures and text constantly, even if you are working in another tab or browser. Close the Facebook tab when you are not actually using FB. Same goes for other webpages, so while it might seem convenient to have many tabs open just in case you wish to go back to them, it will be consuming your data in the background. Using metered internet services takes some getting used to, to keep your data in control.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2014/09/06/facebooks-auto-playing-videos-are-blamed-for-high-data-usage/ The fb data hog is hitting mobile users by sucking their bandwidth and subjecting users to high data usage fees.

TURN OFF FACEBOOK people and close browsers when you're not using them!

Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
thanks i copied and saved this for when i eventually have to get windows 8
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
As an update, our problem has, if anything, gotten worse.

Today our meter shows 0% used of our allowance, and our connection just went to 0.10 mb / we've spent over $200 extra this month just to stay online... I cant wait until this blows up in to an actual legal issue. 

Tech Experts, please chime in! This is such BS. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
you mean 0.1 gb?   sounds like you have a great need for a lot of data if you would pay that much to get additional..+ I assume you have no other options except satellite internet..  are you recording date, time, details about any contacts you have had with exede about this problem? Are you recording all the details as to what you have checked to verify data usage not occurring on your end?  have you reported your problem to the FCC yet?  all these things are going to be essential if any legal action is contemplated.
Photo of swd41970

swd41970

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Yeah, tech experts, PLEASE, chime in! I actually unplugged our WiFi so as to cut any connection to our Excess, except actually plugging in a hard line. I did not plug it back in until about 12:30 AM, a half hour after "free time" was supposed to start, and unplugged the WiFi, again at about 4:30 - 5:00 AM, Yet, during that time, we somehow managed to use over 2 or 3 GB. There is absolutely NO way we are being hacked, nor do we have background programs using the network. Unless somebody wants to get shot, sneaking into my house, to try to hard line connect to either our router, or directly to the Excede router, they are charging me for usage that is NOT being used! Now, I am not a tech wizard, like I was, but I have several friends that networks, etc., is what they went to school for, and have been doing as employment for years, and they said that Excess is either starting and ending our "free time" on a different time zone, or are just flat out stealing from us. We have run this little test, several times, lasting from one or two days, to over a week, and always the same results, our account has usage, even though the only way, and time, to connect to it is between 12:30-1:00 AM and 4:30-5:00 AM, our supposed "free time", that does not appear to be free!
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
have you contacted exede directly yet to report the problem? i would be interested to hear what you hear back from them.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I realize I am having trouble picturing exactly what you are describing...what time did you unplug your router (and everything else I presume) from access to your modem?
It seems like you are trying to describe data usage being counted toward your allowance when that usage could only have occurred during free zone time?  But are you sure you know your exede meter is "up to date" at the time you check it prior to starting your experiment?  Do you have a way to monitor the time at which the usage occurred, so that you can be sure this is Gb used between 12 and 5?  on networx  and satellite internet tracker i can "refresh" what I pull up to be sure it is current and p to date, but you can't do that with the exede monitor. (yes I know a lot of people complain about that), 
I have seen info online indicating that it can take anywhere from 15 min to 24 hr for the exede meter to be "caught up" with usage and accurate.  In my particular case, I haven't seen it take more than a few minutes for my usage to show up on the Exede meter, but I never unplug anything and haven't checked as to whether there could be more of a lag when there is bad weather or other variable circumstances...
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Try to isolate your problem. At this point all we can say for sure is something isn't working properly, probably.

Not sure what "unplug wifi" means. I pulled the power from the satellite box and left it powered down for two days without any change in total data usage. By satellite box, I mean the first box the coaxial cable from the satellite dish plugs into. I can say, unequivocally, that none of my equipment interacted with the Exede network and I can say that, at least during that time period (two days), there was no bandwidth usage.

IN MY SITUATION (your may be different), any bandwidth hogging is occurring AFTER the Exede connection to my house.

I've repeated several times in these forums. I disabled Facebook video autoplay on every device that connects to my wifi and things got better.

Is your wifi 'open'? If it is, lock it down. By default, MY router configures an 'open' guest connection. If I hadn't looked at the router configuration (on the router, usually at http://192.168.1.1) I wouldn't have seen that. With that open connection anyone within wifi range can connect and I wouldn't know.
Photo of swd41970

swd41970

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Okay, first, let me apologize for my bad spelling and so on. I have a spinal cord & brain injuries, and between them and VA meds, I have problems with my fingers, sometimes, not to mention my brain working correctly. Anyway, I unplug our WiFi from the excede router, or unplug the router, all together, at about 4:30-5:00 AM, and do not plug it back in, until 12:30-1:00 AM, when "free zone" is active. We have tried this for a day or two, and even 4-5 days, yet, we still have serious usage. The first 5 days of this month, saw our usage jump over 10 GB. That is the kind of crap I am talking about. We were happier before "upgrading" to Excede. We used to have Hughes, years ago, but switched to Wild blue, and were a lot happier. But over the years, our speeds kept getting slower, and slower, so when we finally went up to Excede, we figured it would be great. We were absolutely wrong. The first couple months were good, but the, our usage started to just fly off somewhere. All of my family knows that if they are going to do anything but email, text, etc., to wait until free zone. Nobody watches movies, videos, online games, etc during normal time. And, even during free zone, there is no online gaming, because of speed and lags.So, if the WiFi is off, and there is no other way to access the net, other than somebody trying to sneak into my home, and hardline straight into the Excede router, which is not a good idea, how are we loosing GB after GB? Like I said, I unplugged our WiFi, all day, everyday, for almost a week, yet still had tremendous usage, even though the ONLY time access was available was from about 12:30-4:30 AM. The other thing we have noticed, even my wife, is that our late night free zone, does not seem to start until almost 2:00 AM!
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
This is the kind of "mystery" complaint I am finding the most interesting and with my limited tech knowledge I really wish I knew more about what could possibly be the cause here if nothing is connected to the exede modem yet significant data usage is still being "charged" to the account.  
Can anyone comment on how data might be used when nothing is connected to the modem either wireless or directly?
But one thing I did notice is this:  if your free zone isn't starting until 2 a.m., perhaps that would explain at least some of the data usage you are seeing, since you mention plugging your router to the modem around 12:30-1?  is this possible do you think?
I remember reading in another discussion a similar problem where someone's free zone was starting later than midnight...an exede employee asked the customer to contact them and said something about maybe the modem being set to the wrong time zone (presumably something Exede would need to fix)?  So suggest you contact exedelistens@viasat.com and see if they can help you with this problem
I haven't had a problem like this with exede, but if I did, I would be on the phone to their tech service or emailing them every single time I noticed any data usage that didn't look right...I would be writing stuff down and making use of networx and satellite restriction tracker to compare what exede said my data usage was compared with those 2 separate monitoring utilities.  these should show you the time data was getting used among other things...I would try any suggestions they made, but any time a suggestion fell thru and more data "disappeared" I would be back in touch with Exede right away...if it got to a point where you and the exede techs are both out of ideas about what could be the cause of this problem, I would then tell exede it sounds like time for exede to send a technician to the house to look for the source of the problem.  I am saying you would be "working hard" yourself to get answers..because you'd have to be making multiple calls perhaps without any improvement at all at first...but I would feel compelled to keep at it until I found some kind of solution,.mysteries like this absolutely drive me crazy and wanting/needing to get the correct amount of data allowance would motivate me to keep at it and keep at it.
this is what i have done with problems I have had with other kinds of providers/cos and it has always provided me with the answers I needed...sooner or later....
Hope you will let us know if you get this fixed what the problem turned out to be.
Photo of swd41970

swd41970

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
And, for all the people I have heard make the comments, such as, I chose to live in the sticks, so I should not complain. At one time, unless you lived IN THE CITY, not even on the edge, you could not get electricity, until enough people in the suburbs, and especially, rural areas, complained to congress. Finally, congress forced power companies to run power to rural areas, especially since most power they were getting, and then selling, came from tax funded power generation plants, like TVA, here in TN, and elsewhere in the south, hydroelectric dams throughout the west, and so on. In today's world, especially for disabled veterans, like myself, it is important for myself, and my home health provider, my wonderful wife of 21 years, to be able to be in contact with the VA, with my doctors, and to be able to research on new treatments, medications, and so on. Because, basically what you are saying is that the farmers and ranchers and so on, that provide your d--n food, do not deserve the same as you, because they live in the country. I live in that same country, because that is where I was raised, and where I belong, but I deserve to have access to the same resources as you in the city, and so do my children! So, maybe you do not deserve those tomatoes, or flour, or steaks, or should you be limited as to how much you are allowed?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
You raise important points, and I don't know the answer.  I have thought a lot about this issue, and there has been much discussion and will continue to be among our policymakers as to what is right in this regard.  The question about what should the average citizen have available to them regardless of where they live.  What are we "entitled" to have access to?  Again, I haven't decided what exactly I think is the answer to that question.  And this will likely change as time goes on and the 'norms' of individual internet usage develop and change.  The details could get more and more complex and confusing as time goes on as well...I could say, well as a u.s. citizen I am entitled to have a public library with "x" miles of where I live...so the government will have to arrange for any necessary subsidies so that this will occur. And if I cant drive to get there to access books and computers, then the government must provide me with transportation enabling me to get there.  I live in a small county where the local government spent $40000 on a study about the need to provide internet access for all citizens of this county...the conclusion was that this is a very important need to be met and recommendations were made. this was a few yrs ago and I know of NOTHING that has been done since then to try to implement any recommendations.  I have thought about this a lot...and am not happy about the discrepancies about what is available to me vs. what is available to people who live a couple of miles away.
Yet none of this is Exede's "fault", or Comcast (who I am told is available a mile and a half from where I live), or Verizon (the list goes on) nor is it their responsibility to fix these problems.  These are private cos.  
I don't say people shouldn't complain because they "chose" to live in a rural area, but think we need to stop and think about who is "to blame".  It isn't the individual internet providers.
(Edited)
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
well that's a perspective for certain.  however, i like blaming them a lot more than myself.  LOL.  Since we are typically the ones required to pay, whether in taxes, or in internet, and have limitations applied to us that aren't necessarily, rates or fees that are applied to companies, or other entities.  or for that matter, the levies on transfer rates.  since you bring up transfer rates, its a lot like metering gas, or ink.  i mean look at ink.  what we pay for ink, a small little jar, what would it cost for a gallon?  and what that gallon actually costs and the margin of profit for selling ink in tiny little containers, for a very specific printer model, or pen even, with a logo.  in terms of what people have a right to.  certainly not their own information taken from them.  i think of the internet as more of a place that stores information that we all share together.  charging people for access, and then reselling that contribution back to us, is very thought provoking.  i tend to see that many people devalue that contribution to the over all good.  the taxes we have paid, from the time we were youth, till now, were investments in the research and development of exactly this internet we now pay to use.  i guess if we could trace our tax dollars to the moon landing, we can foreseeably argue a right to look at it from earth without a fee.  the questions you raise, i totally agree with for the library, and experience and all. 

really what I see, as the main "blame" for the internet providers, and companies like msoft and apple, they pass along hidden transfers of large information, and we fund that cost of transfer, and it limits our usage.  there's a lot of computer chatter, that has nothing to do with our Facebook posts tagged into those usages.  
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Everybody likes free stuff, but boy has this become an entitlement nation of whiners.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
swd, do you mind sharing where you live?
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
JEP  I sorry to say I have to agree with what you said.  and to anyone reading this who thinks i just insulted you or that I called you  a whiner, please realize that I DON'T think that at all about the great majority of the posts here.  So please don't anyone assume I am talking about anyone posting here.  In fact I happen to think there is a place for complaining...when something really bothers me, I find someone to VENT to asap about it, and this usually helps me feel less angry and I also usually get ideas from that other person about how to handle the problem.  so there is a big difference between being angry/frustrated and feeling entitled to things that we really aren't entitled to.
I do think that exede is getting scapegoated quite a bit just because they are the only company a lot of us have access to.  And sometimes we don't know or forget that Exede isn't the same kind of technology as the landbased broadband companies we think we really rather have.  Not to mention this big problem with figuring out where data gets used...I don't think it is exede's responsiblity to teach us all how to know how to determine what our usage is and how much of our allowance different activites will take up..although I am trying to think of suggestions of possible articles that exede might put up in their knowledge base which might guide people in ways to figure out where their data is going...I am thinking along the lines of some kind of checklist or various kinds of online activiities which someone might have, and how they might be eating up excessive amounts of data...along with detailed info about how to fix these problems if they are identified.  i have a feeling that some article with all this info in one place might already exist, if i could only find it.  For customers with more tech knowledge, well they wouldn't need all that of course, but i think a lot of us do need the additional info/help with this issue...hard to find that help all in one place and at the level of people without much tech background.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Deserve?  DESERVE?  Absolutely not.  You don't deserve anything.  Does a person who chooses to live in New York City DESERVE to get fresh air, clear blue skies where you can see the stars at night? Do you DESERVE to not have neighbors for miles and have privacy?  No you don't, those are things you just can't have any reasonable expectations for living in a big, overcrowded city.  Conversely, when you chose to live in a remote area, you should have reasonable expectations that the services you are provided will be less, and more expensive, than the services people get in the major cities.  It costs more to provide services in remote areas, and that price gets passed on to the consumer.  Gas costs more, milk costs more, and yes, internet costs more.  If you don't like it, move.
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
geezh,JEP  no one is talking about free anything.  by the way, you owe me $79. per month for the air you are breathing.  hahaha  the forum says if we don't like it we can speak here.  now you are saying that we can't speak on this thread.  well go to another thread, and make sure you pay to post there so that you can speak your mind.  hahaha  JEP if you don't like the fact that we want free internet, go pay for yours.  no one is stopping you.  if I'm somewhere, and I want free internet, I don't have to leave, you do.  you go to where you pay for your internet, in those threads, and no one will bother you.  but no one has a right to harass people like wayne for speaking within a thread that clearly reads " chime in with your experience".  Wayne and everyone else that posts here, who want to communicate their frustrations, their experience, are posting here.  because this thread is established for that.  if you don't like it, or the word free go start your own thread.  free isn't the issue here.  usage, and legal, and chime in, were the key words in this thread.  i don't go to mc'd's because I pay for my internet.  i expect it to work, so I don't have to go to mc'ds.  LOL
(Edited)

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
We are all invited to express our opinions here and in other forums. No one should be trying to beat on others and no one should be trying to insist that they are the only one who is right. Enjoy that the forums are here to be heard.
Photo of Algis Lores

Algis Lores

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Well just to keep feeding this topic, I've submitted my complaint to exede and so far NOTHING! just an email (automatic my guess) with copy of my words and a ticket number.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
good for you...can't guarantee you will find the fix you need, but you just might.  and yes that is an auto reply you get any time you send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com.  a personalized response should be in your inbox by tomorrow. I have sent several questions to this email address and always get a reply by the next day.  Hope you will let us know how it goes now that you have submitted a problem directly to exede.
Photo of Algis Lores

Algis Lores

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Found this exede. Hope helps you to stop blaming your clients ends. http://transition.fcc.gov/national-br... Is incredibly interesting. So if you want to defend your rights or have the valid information here you have!
Photo of Algis Lores

Algis Lores

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
For those who can't open the file is from the FCC reports consumer use patterns and just so you know the average (the user that consume lots of GB) used 9.2GB by 2009. The medium user consumed 1.7GB by 2009 lets DUPLICATE?? the numbers, means the rate for the average user now is 18.4GB and for the medium user 3.4GB. You know how many of the users consume lots and lots of GB? is the minority.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Algis, I am not sure what you are saying exactly?  Are you saying that you take these averages to mean that anyone whose usage is over this must, by your reasoning, be not REALLY using that much and it must be something exede is doing causing them to say people are using more than they really are?  Is that what you are saying?  that because you decided to double the numbers on an FCC report because "x" amount of yrs has gone by since 2009 that you can make that kind of inference?  maybe I really don't get what you are saying at all?  sorry if I am missing your point.
But if this is what you are saying, you just can't take numbers like this from 2009 and say ANYTHING with any certainty about what the real amount of data usage is by 2014 Exede customers....it just isn't logical.
But again, just tell me if I am misunderstanding what you are saying?  If I am I apologize in advance.
Photo of Algis Lores

Algis Lores

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Well, please read carefully. the FCC REPORT GIVES AN ESTIMATE OF HOW MUCH THE gb USAGE WILL BE INCREASING IN THE COMING YEARS.

And no, I'm not saying exede is DOING something I'm saying that the apps or systems that exede is using is not working properly because a medium user as most of us DON'T meet those numbers. So it should be a red flag for exede. I'M SAYING EXEDE SHOULD OPEN EYES AND EARS TO US (CUSTOMERS) AND FIX IT.

Lorrie, do you want to investigate more? Do you know why companies have forums moderators? an unhappy customer gets at least 20 persons to hear his complains and 3/4 of them will not even investigate and pass the story to others (so the unhappy customer's story gets a public of at least 30 persons) 1/3 will not choose the company/service even when they were thinking about. it before of the story. A Happy customer only gets a public of 5 persons, only tells the story to whom he/she cares about.

SHOULD ASK EXEDE FOR MORE ARGUMENTS!!
Photo of Algis Lores

Algis Lores

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Photo of Algis Lores

Algis Lores

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
When the technician came he told me that if I was a Netlix and Hulu fan It won't work for me unless I watch it after midnight but this is outrageous. one movie on free time and the second to see how much data will take from my plan and now I have people trying to say that I messed up. I'm posting until I have my refund and cancellation. I do not care about the cause, I do not care about routers, hackers or gollums!! I'm not the kind of people who will suck any senseless explanation and of curse I will not let exede forum moderators or employees to suggest the problems is at my end. I asked for exxede service, I paid in advance and now I'm stuck in a 2 years contract?? No, under this conditions. If exede solve this issue I will honor my contract if not I'm using my voice on social networks, FCC online complains and any other source I can find. But I'll be free of a less than mediocre service.
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
i just saw a comcast post that says their data cap is 250 gb  arrrgh
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Yes I have seen the same thing and believe it is true. comcast is a CABLE provider..Exede is a satellite internet provider.  different things.  I tried to get comcast,....I cannot nor do they say I will be able to at any time in the forseeable future...

seems like I should be angry at COMCAST rather than Exede...Exede makes it possible for me to have highspeed internet where I live. ...Comcast denies me ANY of their data usage at all...so my allowance with comcast is zero.  

I am doing much better with Exede at the moment.  
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I chose to live in a private location away from the madness of the city. I'm pretty close to off the grid. The price I pay for that privacy is that I get electricity and telephone. That's it.

My choices for Internet service are satellite or dial-up (and not DSL). I'll take satellite and not complain about the better service I could get ... if only ... 
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
yes it is true, two different birds, two different handfuls of seed.  our satellite remote location seed pile is very small.  LOL

For those commenters who have issues with turning off and on during times, I would recommend an auto yard outlet timer.  set it to be open and on for a specific time frame or so many hours.  

for me, I have to nap and set alarms on certain days of the week, so that I can make sure that i use that free zone.  but i really have a paranoia that i can't put my finger on, for not using it till I reach my limit cap.  once i hit the cap, if I use the late night free zone, I can clearly see that additional usage is attributed, even for the free zone, in the old monitor.  the new monitor takes it away completely.  

the other services, some do have customer access to the monitor tools, that allow for time, and ip address lookup on sites with data transfer information.  

really the issue is, who among us all know how to class action on this issue?
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I have no issue to class action on.  I leave everything plugged in all the time.  I have no data usage mysteries or problems.  I would love to have unlimited data, and if i get access to this at some point and can afford what they charge, I will get it.
I know what Exede said would be provided for the money, and that is what I am getting.  I have a different mind set/attitude than yours jello...people are just different sometimes and I don't think either one of us is going to change our viewpoints. I don't for a minute think viasat/exede is lying about the restrictions inherent in the current satellite internet technology..but regardless, I am doing just fine with what happens to be available where I live and that i can afford.  I can live with the limitations that are around me without feeling cheated or upset or envious or that some cable company is "ruining my family" by data restrictions.  Before I ever gave any thought to getting involved in a class action, I would need it to be something that I considered a lot more important than how much data my ISP allows me.  And if I found something that DID seem to me to be important enough to spend my time on in a class action suit, I would need to have more actual proof that it appears there may be some wrongdoing going on by someone.  As I mentioned before, I have been googling for more into about a lot of the interesting issues being raised here and so far I havent' found any independent reviews of exede or any other satellite internet co that makes it seem like there is any wrongdoing at all going on on the part of the purveyors of this kind of broadband technology.  Any reviews I have read about satellite internet companies by name have said that exede and dish and hughesnet are the top 3 companies in this technology, and one article i found said that Exede was the best of the satellite internet providers in 2014.  When I compare what is offered by the major satellite internet providers, there aren't any huge discrepancies in what is being offered, and they also agree in their descriptions of what this technology's limitations are at this level of development. The various satellite internet providers don't even accuse each other of doing anything wrong.  They market in ways to make themselves look as good as possible in hopes of attacting the most customers.  That's normal.  But they don't seem to find any data to use to criticize each other.
when it comes right down to it, i am much more interested in what facts i can find than i am in opinions.  If I wanted to figure out how good a company exede is (or isn't) I wouldn't decide by looking at a forum since those tend to attract a lot of people who are having problems--more than they attract the people who aren't...so this isn't where i would go for the objective info i want.  
But at the same time i am finding out some very good info about things that will help me with any usage question and some other tech stuff...but even then when someone says hey try this, I will go check it out further on their website or wherever objective info is available before i make my decision to use or not.
I am also finding all these varying opinions and philosophies about internet usage to be fascinating and a stimulus to more thought on my part, so thank you all of you for sharing these thoughts and  ideas.

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
Before lining the pockets of some lawyers, you may first wish to read Section 8.4 (page 5) of your customer agreement. It allows ONLY individual lawsuits against ViaSat, and NOT class action suits. 

YOU AND VIASAT AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING.
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
well i'm no lawyer.  however, i mention class actions, since they seem to work in these cases.  but lining the pockets of lawyers is a very real consequence.  the problem with law, is that, it requires lawyers to turn the key.  bank of america, for example, no one had a choice in the matter.  no one even knew there was an action.  till we all got notices.  and every now and then I'd get a .15c check, or one for $35.  LOL.  the issue was raised before, when there was a direct discussion regarding consumer data traffic, and machine traffic, where the computers share information with the companies.  there's sync data, back up data, and other data.  and according to the defcon 17 conference, which is available by pod cast, lol, or other conferences of like minded technology experts from the consumer block, is the very real discussion of the mainframe data traffic from your machine.  i mean we've all heard the stories about not even being able to stop that traffic even by powering down.  So even Lorrie may be correct, or others like her who believe that there is nothing wrong with her traffic.  She very well may not have a huge data traffic in general being networked.  And as long as her meter does not zero her out, the first day or two of her rollover date, she might be fine, as we all are, until the next rollover date.  i would say that the discussion was abridged back in the "old" forums, which I couldn't participate on because it never allowed me to login and tech support never knew why.  that's not a big deal tho LOL.  i'm not sure if those forums are still up.  but when the comparison was argued about the non-consumer data traffic, and the consumer data traffic, yes we got the late night free zone.  not just by this provider but by many providers, they began applying relief's to data traffic charges, since some of the network traffic was for information required by normal data collection for corporations, like location services, and that little box that says, track your location even when you are busy doing other things in your life, LOL, not exactly those words mind you.  however, its  not an issue, that is exclusively this company, so again, I would agree with Lorri in that regard.  the problem with metering, is that the meter can be applied in many different areas, different nodes, under different auspices within programs.  many by company.  if you were to even exclude the government data mining bots, for which there is a list.  lol, if you were just to focus on the corporate app traffic, like Adobe.  Like apple.  I mean every other day there might be an "update" that was downloaded, with an upload, that you chose to have "auto" handled behind the scenes when you set up your devices.  regardless, my point is the corporate traffic, is not consumer traffic, but that we are applied tariff's, usage fees, or we have our consumer traffic abridged or limited, but the corporate traffic to our devices continues.  well you could say that having the service is the choice.  if you want a job, or to keep a job, or to keep up with the things in life that keep you legal and happy, you pretty much don't have a choice.  but therein again, my opinion. though not yours, or hers, or anyones, we all share a common thing, our internet provision of services.  whether its through the megalith, FCC, or elsewhere there are consumer based "groups" and individuals who pursue those types of issues.  outside of attorney brackets and rackets.  there's a loose association of people who are still fighting for free tv, and radio.  LOL, whatever shape they are in now, they waged a long battle, within that beast of technical process.  if the FCC was Facebook, I'm sure more people might comment there.  LOL  but we don't even have to file a thing, to comment.  and you may never know if a class action was performed or not, if one were to be performed.  i'm just here representing my data.  hahaha. and that the traffic in my data meter bar, does not represent my consumer data traffic, and I don't believe that anyone should have to pay for gov, or corporate traffic on their privately owned devices.  
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Bottom line is, what you BELIEVE makes no difference.  You are paying for X amount of data each month, and what you chose to do with it is your choice.  Don't install Adobe products or Apple products if you don't want them to update, or, have your firewall or router block them, or, best yet, schedule them to happen automatically during the free time.  
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
What wayne was saying, regarding reasonable fees, does make a lot of sense.  reasonable profit, and drop the data usage limitations do apply.  and if apple wants their data, and microsoft wants theirs, and google wants theirs, and if they want us to buy their devices, and if consumers can't use them, they won't buy them.  so at some point, someone with a hybrid device, with both apple and windows, who has a mac, with a droid, and wants an apple watch, those guys, are the ones, that have more power than us in speaking to those giants, about loosening restrictions.  we just pay fees to access the world, from remote locations.  i didn't even have a location until this year.  not sure if that was wild blue or apple.  but somehow, by speaking to both I eventually got a "location".  now I have "location based traffic".  was that a choice I made?  well I had no scientific study or notification that by requesting location services it would hog, 50gb per month of my 15 gb allowance.  LOL
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
i think its rather funny that everyone tends to fall back on, if you don't like it don't use it.  if you buy a device you are surrendered to its faults.  if I use adobe for work, then its a choice.  if I don't like it don't use adobe products.  i mean really.  that's like buying a car, and when it has a defect, live with it.  that's simply not the case in consumer law.  consumer law indicates that if you buy something that you need to survive, you do have certain rights.  for it to function properly.  that if it breaks down there's a reasonable expectation of warranty.  and that the car doesn't guzzle gas when you aren't there.  well there's electricity as an example.  which goes back to the argument someone raised before, that we are "utilitizing" internet.  we aren't.  the world is.  technology is, corporations are.  its all around us.  well if you don't like that these appliances use all this power in the background, then just turn it off.  just disconnect your electrical.  that's not a choice.  and there's a valid and just corporate movement that applied energy star ratings to appliances, and auto shut off technology was developed, as a response to consumers.  i think its rather archaic to argue that if we don't like something, you can't change it.  i think we live in an age, where we can make things better than they are and that is actually in many cases, still legal.  In fact, the thread that I'm commenting on specifically states, say something about it.  LOL  i can claim to wild blue exceed that my FaceTime call has a data requirement that has a postable value and a right to be reported.  if the telephone company has to report how much data or how much a call costs.  that's what it does.  if I make an internet call, those laws don't apply?  I have no idea.  however, if my one facetime call goes through, and in 24 hours killed my usage.  it might be my FaceTime call.  however, when I was on a lower plan, i was told, I could make facetime calls.  it says you can watch youtube video.  just go up to the next bracket.  i think we all did.  or most of us, and now its, well, yah, between 12a-5a you can.  apple tv, what ever you do, watch apple tv between 12a-5a. i mean what we are saying is we are paying rates for a phone but if we use the phone we might incur roaming charges.  hahaha.  well we get to know when we roam now.  change is not scary and arguing for consumer rights is not underground.  its a way of life.  
(Edited)
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 6 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

The simple resolution to this issue resulting in the elimination of data usage complaints,  Is to establish a reasonable fee, allowing for a reasonable profit and drop the data usage limitations.

They obviously do not satisfy the monitoring needs of their customers, (rather real or perceived), and subsequently, they have many customers upset and complaining.  I suspect they will loose many customers as well.  Yes, their consumers signed a contract knowing full well they where signing up for a service which bases their fee on data usage.  Many have little to no options when it comes to internet service because of location.  The vast majority of their consumers may get on line briefly check email surf for a while and that satisfies their need and therefore, do not use much data or even come close to their cap.  However, there are many who use the internet much more, wish to watch a you tube video, facebook, send email, share a few pictures and even down load music occasionally.

The bottom line is a company who chooses a business model of basing fees on data usage and fails to satisfy their customers desire or need to accurately monitor usage is ripe for consumer complaints, and skepticism.  In addition, when you provide customer service who cannot provide adequate answers related to data usage, this only fuels the distrust and anger.

I for one had Xanadoo wireless internet for years before trying Exede.  Xanadoo, provided an equally reliable service, little latency and slower speeds up and down.  However, I did not have to worry about the amount of data I was able to use.  I could not watch Netflix with Xanadoo due to speed, but I can't watch it on Exede either due to data usage and (speed at times).  Xanadoo cost $40 a month where I pay $90 a month for Exede.  The only benefit I receive from Exede over Xanadoo is a faster connection.  I would like to see Exede offer a no data limit option.

When my contract is up I will likely return to Xanadoo or seek another option.

PS    I am convinced they charged for data used during their free zone, speeds slow drastically   during the free time, resetting your data days earlier than they should and I have caught them providing less than truthful responses to inquiries concerning data usage.

Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Using a virus checker? If not, you should be but that's a horse of a different color. If possible, set it to download virus updates during JNFT. I know you do that with McAffee [not an endorsement].

Virus definition files can be large. I would expect 20 to 30 MB each and there can be new definition files released every day. If your virus program downloads updates daily you could be burning 0.6 to 0.9 or more GB each month.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Have a smart phone? How are updates handled? Are they set to automatic? If so, TURN THAT OFF.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/20/ios-7-how-to-set-up-automatic-app-updates/
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Does your iPhone automatically sync with iTunes whenever it connects to your home Wifi? If so, stop it from doing that!
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Using anything in the Cloud? Dropbox, Google Drive? Then stop!

Using Windows 8? Be careful, some setting sync a bunch of devices across the cloud BY DEFAULT. You might not even know it's doing it because you weren't asked or simply accepted the default during install.

"Without a doubt, Windows 8 is the most cloud-centric OS Microsoft has ever put out. And Microsoft's proposition is a compelling one: when your apps, games, music, photos, files, and settings are also stored in the cloud, you can access them from virtually anywhere." http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature-windows-8-built-apps-cloud-connected-experience
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Reasonable profit? You're suggesting turning satellite service into a public utility?

Like it or not, ViaSat has shareholders to answer to - first and foremost. And every shareholder expects that ViaSat execs will do everything they can to maximize profits.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 6 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Brian, I don't think anywhere in my comments did I suggest a public utility.  What I suggested is to charge a reasonable fee for a no data limit service while receiving a reasonable profit and you will eliminate complaints concerning data usage and eliminate suspicion.  Maximum profits with no customers?  I think a balance is what I am suggesting.  Shareholders don't have to go hungry or drive a Yugo but keeping the customer happy usually meant more customers and more profit.  What do I know I am just a customer!!

Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
well it is reasonable certainly.  the data rates though are not in compatible nature to the requirements of the equipment that are exponentially requiring more data, than just the user's usage.  they've pretty much outlined a high fee one user fee, for a low end data consumption, that is based on an internet usage, for someone with one device.  most of us have multiple devices, and higher data rates as a consequence.  but now everything has upgraded from when these were set.  i mean just for windows or ios8 or now yosemite, those rates are quite low, for the base usages of just that equipment.  then add in social media, or baseline sync'ing for work AND home, and bam the usage is a week.  but all the carriers for mobile have that low end data rate setting, so its kinda squeezing the consumer as usual.  pleasing the customers usually provides a better profit margin.  i wholly agree with wayne, there are reasonable ways of compensating both sides, its just a question of when excede or anyone else, decides to make that adjustment for their customers.  or apple or windows.  they say you can control your download times, but can you control the sync?  absolutely not.  there's very little control, even in paying the bill.  you get to choose your plan and that's about the only choice that's there.  i'd be stuck if it wasn't for that promotion for the 5gb for the next six months giveaway.  i can't give them credit for having no idea where my data went, but if I get another chance to figure it out, then I'm better.  when you don't get that chance, to re-do whatever mistake was made, it does lead to a lot of distrust, when you aren't a data hog LOL  
Actually, the old forums I couldn't even log into.  Getting to log in and complain is quite a benefit now.  :)  And having tech in the forums too?  priceless.  
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Wayne if you like xanadoo better all things considered, then why yes of course you should go back to them.  I can't agree with your belief that Exede must be lying about having limited satellite capacity which makes it impossible for them to ,at this time, offer unlimited data usage to all customers.  The reason I believe that this is true is that to date nothing i have read that was written by an independent party has even suggested that Exede and other satellite internet cos are lying about the technology..these independent articles I have read all say the same thing exede is saying.  The only place where I have found accusations about Exede engaging in lies or fraudulent practices is here from certain angry customers and none of that is objective evidence. Because there are also, like me, too many customers reporting no problems with excessive data usage that they can't explain,for example...so if there is a conspiracy, it seems to only affect some customers and not others.
What people say on forums about a company or service, whether complimentary or derogatory, shouldn't be taken by readers as the reason they select or get rid of a company. 
I  had the old hughes plan for 3 yrs before switching to Exede.  In the beginning of my time with hughes, I looked at their forum and saw ALL the same kind of rants and diatribes about the same kinds of issues I see here. I hadn't been with satellite internet or hughes for very long so I was shocked and quite worried...if all these people were so angry and reporting the same kinds of problems well, then there must be truth to it, right?  Where there's smoke there's a fire, right?
Well, no--turns out that the rest of the 3 yrs I had hughes I STILL never developed any of those problems...the couple of times I was using up my data at a disturbingly fast pace, it had to do with something going on in my network and equpment that was eating that data up so fast.  And I just never had any other problems....
So it was a good think I didn't let all those negative statements on the Hughes forum influence me, since what they said turned out to never have anything at all to do with me and my experience as a customer.
So why you may ask, did I switch to exede?  I wanted to either upgrade to hughesgen4 or switch to exede...those were my only options.  I read ALL the details about the basic plan for hughesgen4 vs the details about the Exede basic plan...Exede's plan was not only better but it was offered for $10 cheaper than the Hughesgen4 basic...for the SAME dollar amount I had been paying for the old hughes plan (download 1 gbs--data allowance 7.5 mg/month), I could get  the exede basic plan with  down 12/up 3 and 10 GB of data...plus the 12-5 free zone..which I personally can and do make great use of.  the old hughes plan had a LNFZ from 2a-7a...too late for me...and the newer gen4 plans did away with the lnfz.
So that was how i decided to switch...and if I had decided to use what I read on the Hughes forum vs what I read on the Exede forum?  well, that wouldn't have been a good way to make any decisions..too many opinions when I wanted the facts and details.  
I will never believe a company is lying or committing fraud because what people I don't even know are saying on a forum.  And I wouldn't expect anyone who reads any positive stuff I say to make any final decisions based on what I happen to say.  You need to look elsewhere and independently check the facts of anything you read here.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Brian, I just love your very specific suggestions about things to check/turn off or reset if you are having problem with excessive data usage..and love that you supply links to additional info.  You would be a good person to write that 'definitive' article about managing data usage, where you put a checklist including every possible source of excessive usage that you can possibly think of, along with instructions about what to do if this is a problem you have.  I do wish we all had access to something like that in the help center on the exede customer portal website.  It would be so much more efficient/useful to have all this info in one place....well as much of it as possible I guess since things keep changing so there are always new ways that data starts to disappear...like I keep hearing that there was a recent facebook change that is causing loss of data (to do with an auto play on videos I think).  this could be one reason a customer might notice they are starting to use more data than they ever did  before but can't figure out why since they aren't doing anything different.  but apparently facebook started doing something different.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 6 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Lorrie,  please read my comments again.  Where did you come up with this at? 

"I can't agree with your belief that Exede must be lying about having limited satellite capacity which makes it impossible for them to ,at this time, offer unlimited data usage to all customers."

Never once did I say they were lying about satellite capacity.  If your going to monitor the forum and defend them at least get the issue straight. 

Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 6 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

I will not be posting to this forum any longer.  I shared my thoughts and concerns to those who cared to listen and I am thankful for the opportunity to do so.  I am disappointed to see those monitoring the forum take those comments out of context or suggest I am saying something that I did not say.  A very progressive move. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
Wayne, Sorry you've decided to post no more. I misunderstood your post. I incorrectly assumed that when you wrote " establish a reasonable fee, allowing for a reasonable profit and drop the data usage limitations" you meant some form of government regulation.
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Wayne I liked your post.  This forum says if you want to speak your mind, and disagree with the process, you can post.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
jello1850, I don't know what you mean when you say the old Wildblue/Exede Worldwide forum will not let you log on to post your comments. That forum has its own sign on/password, you cannot get on it using your Wildblue/Exede email or portal sign ins. You just need to go to the upper right corner of the page http://wildblueworld.com/forum/ click on "Register" and set up an account. Then you are free to post.

We don't all agree with what others post on here, but that is the beauty of forums, we can state our feelings and should not be hammered for whatever we say. Not everyone has the same perception of what they think that Exede should be providing, but also, keep in mind, no one is "required"' to have Exede as an internet provider. Every individual does have a choice. Many of us do not have many choices, but we do have a choice. In my case it is, Exede, HughesNet Gen4, dial up and NO INTERNET. I have even listed them in my order of preference, but again, that is my choice, others certainly are entitled to their opinion. 

That is not to say that I wouldn't drop Exede in a heartbeat if I were offered a reasonable priced wireless internet, or a land based internet provider, but at this time, these are not an option. But never have I ever thought that it is my "Right" to have good internet service at any price. Internet is not a necessary part of anyone's life, but I will say, it is a great privilege to have that access.  Jut as we do not "have" to have electricity, telephone services either. Some of my neighbors are members of the Old Amish community, and they continue to live without any of the modern technologies and are very happy with their choice.
Photo of Brandi Hobson

Brandi Hobson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am currently having the same issues! This was a great company when I first signed my contract and things have gone drastically downhill over the last couple of months. I have never had any issues with my data usage before August. I have a little over three weeks until my data resets again and my usage meter is already over 70%, data that I know that I have not used. When I called the company and voiced my concern, they just blew me off! The customer service representative was very rude with me and the wait times are ridiculous. She told me the days that my data usage was extremely high and those were days when I am not even home, and had not even used my computer. Furthermore, she told me the nights that my late night free zone was being used quite a bit, which, once again, could not be possible because I was sleeping. She would not talk to me about my concerns, avoiding my questions when I tried to get her back on the topic I wanted to discuss, and kept hinting that I should purchase extra data and purchase a more expensive plan than I am currently on. She also tried to tell me that it was an issue on my end, and not their fault, which I do not believe at all. This issue is on their end and they need to fix it, and make refunds to all the customers who have lost data. There are also numerous times where my internet will not work at all. I am highly unsatisfied with my service and considering terminating my contract early. Exede needs to get their act together and learn how to run a good business! 
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Brandi, ping us at exedelistens@viasat.com and we can take a closer look at your usage.
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Brandi they will never run a good business. even back when it was just wildblue they could not do that. Now the old ceo of wildblue is now "and has been for a while now" the ceo of Viasat. ether exede or wildblue will not do good business. exede is a new service with the old management. It really is sad to say but true.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.