Data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Would someone please explain how it’s possible for 2 people in a home to use up 100 GB of data in 2 days? My data reset and was used up within 2 days. I mean, that’s equal to 5000 hrs of browsing or 100 SD movie downloads. Now I’m stuck with 0.15 Mbps speeds for another month!
Photo of Renee Saar

Renee Saar

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • angry

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1236 Posts
  • 770 Reply Likes
Could be a number of reasons. How many devices are connected to your network? Automatic updates? Dish/Directv? The possibilities are endless on what are the data.
Photo of Renee Saar

Renee Saar

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is the thing.  We just moved and had to get satellite internet because it is our only option.  In our old place we had 6 people living there with no cable, so all of our digital entertainment was streamed.  Everyone had phones, tablets, and laptops that were also on the network.  Rarely did we go above 300 GB/month.  I just have no clue how it's possible for 2 people in a home to blow through 100 Gb in 2 days.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
You must have a real fast connection to blow through data that fast.  I have some videos that are high resolution that average out to 3GB for an hour's length.
(Edited)
Photo of Renee Saar

Renee Saar

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still, we'd have to watch more than 30 hrs of HD movies to blow through that amount of data.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
You have a Ring door bell uploading videos of deer walking past every 20 minutes and/or you have an Amazon echo constantly listing to you and interacting with the mother ship and watching HD movies at 3gigs a pop. Also Cel signal “boosters” all take a lot of data.
Photo of Renee Saar

Renee Saar

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't have any of those items
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3154 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Do you have a Roku or similar streaming device connected. If so, make sure that you return the device to the "Home" mode when you are done streaming, otherwise it will continue to stream at an alarming rate.
Photo of Renee Saar

Renee Saar

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I do have one and we always return to HOME before shutting down.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Windows 10 constant updates.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 178 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Several years ago I felt the same as you do now. My solution was to buy a new router that measured data and Glassware software that also measures data.
I concluded that Viasat was charging me the correct amount of data.
The new router and Glassware showed me where all my hidden data was coming from.
I used these tools to take corrective action and I have never gone over my data limit since then. My data limit is only 12Gb per month and this is enough for me when managed correctly.
Photo of Renee Saar

Renee Saar

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the helpful suggestion!
Photo of alyssaavant

alyssaavant

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Where do I get this Glassware software?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion