Data speed after 150gb

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
You state very often about speeds being slowed after going over 150gb threshold. What you fail to mention is what speeds will be lowered to. I have freedom plan and went over my threshold last month. The speeds I was were reduced to were simply atrocious. It was utterly unusable. To slow speeds from 25mbs to dial up speed is just wrong. I understand the need to slower speeds but when you go from the speeds of a Lamborghini to a Yugo, it leaves a stale taste in you mouth. I know you can do better than this.
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3122 Posts
  • 1101 Reply Likes
Hi Keith

It's going to be dependent on how busy the beam you are in is (and whether you'll be slowed at all as a result) so it will fluctuate. Each beam will be different some are significantly busier than others. Unfortunately I do not have a specification for a range to expect in the event your connection is slowed after surpassing that limit. I'll get with our team to see if we can have a rough estimate
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 137 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Which is what i'm saying is what cannot be specified because it is heavily dependent on how many people are on your beam during peak hours and what they're doing on it. If all of them are streaming HD movies, then odds are you're gonna have a rough time, if they are all just web browsing you won't as much issue, but it is never as cut and dry as that as you know. There will be a mix of everything possible being done all at once, a bunch will be streaming, a bunch will be downloading, web browsing,etc some even all at once.  So, it is dependent on that particular beam's amount of users who still have data and what they're doing which as you can imagine is kinda hard to calculate in any accurate way. 

I am currently on the liberty 12 plan until tomorrow when i get the new modem, i am out of data, but in the mornings i get upwards of 10mbps frequently, but during peak hours it drops down to about 200kbps.  So, it depends on how many are on it when you are and what they're doing.
(Edited)
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Noted.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3898 Posts
  • 3974 Reply Likes
Keith,

Viasat has never published the throttled speed when exceeding the allowance on plans having a hard data cap (and won't) - Freedom and Classic Plans. As you've become aware, it's a hard cap, atrocious and approximate to dialup speeds and you're at the bottom of the barrel -  below those who are simply de-prioritized on the new "unlimted" plans or those both throttled and de-priotitized like Liberty plans.    
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm understanding this more and more. Thanks.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3495 Posts
  • 2029 Reply Likes
Liberty over the cap was suppose to be 1 to 5Mbps in general. Over 150GB with Freedom would be the hard cap. As a rule in the old days the hard cap was 200kbps (give or take a few kb).
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
I'm guessing about like Liberty Pass, which for me was down to about 10 Mbps at the slowest. Of course that varies by beam and day. Weekdays, even on Liberty Pass, I was still up around 15 Mbps. Here, it's when the kids are not in school and, it's after 3 PM that I see the slowest speeds. Worst being 6-11 PM.

Each beam is different, you might see down in the 1 Mbps range at times, on some beams after you use 150 GB. I suspect those estimates would need to be per beam. I know that 329 and one in Ohio seem to be a lot worse than mine for slow downs. (I'm on 332) As for how Unlimited will actually perform beyond 150 GB, I will have to wait until I get there. (used 12 GB in 3 days so far so, at that rate I wouldn't break the 150 GB mark before my billing date.)

NOTE: That was being pretty liberal with usage, all the online videos we wanted all weekend and, one On Demand Movie, DVR, 2 cell phones, a tablet and, Sunday, my granddaughter's phone as well connected so that she could download a few apps and use FB on her phone.

I will say that it's nice to be able to do those things and not worry about the data. My mind still wants to scream "Watch the data." Old habit going to be hard to break. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
Keith stated that he is on the Freedom plan. Going over the 150 GB mark means very slow speeds, and may be unusable to even get emails.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3495 Posts
  • 2029 Reply Likes
Yes if you stay on Freedom, I think it is a must you stay under 150GB, especially now. If all these people are running to these new plans given the limited capacity Viasat-1 has, not sure what's going to happen. Still can't believe it's happening on my overcrowded beam, so I am very skeptical of moving to a new plan at this time.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2801 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
The new plans were offered several days ago in my area. I am currently on the Freedom plan, and not going to move from it. The first two days, my area had the Bronze, Silver and Gold 150 GB plans offered. Subscribers must have jumped at the chance for the larger plans. I don't know what the rush was all about, since the Freedom plan h been available to us for over 3 months now, but, after only 3 days, the Bronze and Gold plans are no longer available, and the Silver plan jumped $50.00 in price.

Another indication that I noticed is that a week ago, I was getting speeds of 16 Mbps during the day, and around 8 Mbps in prime time. The past two days, my daytime speeds are down to 11 Mbps with the prime time speeds around 3.0 Mbps. I would guess that many that have jumped to the new plans are doing more streaming now that they have large data allotments.

I am sure that once ViaSat2 is in service, that speeds will increase again.