Data Metering Seems to be VERY Inaccurate!

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

Hi, I am a new customer switching from a better product (Verizon HomeFusion) to an inferior product (Exede Satellite Internet) simply because of your "unlimited plan." It's a trade off for me, with Verizon I got a ping of 80, and speeds of 20/10 (which is unbelievable for where I live). With Exede I get a ping of 800, and speeds of 15 to 20 down and 1.5-ish up. The catch is all about data though, for the same price with Verizon I get 30GB/month and now with Excede I get 150GB. So...I am willing to pay money to a company that is pushing for more "real world" rural internet. So in all seriousness, I applaud Exede for pushing the boundaries of rural internet limits, 150GB is truly amazing! BUT...here's the catch! I've only had this a few days and your data metering is COMPLETELY jacked up. Trust me, I KNOW how to monitor data and have for years with Verizon, so, I know my habits and what I use VERY well. Last night my plan reset to 0 and somehow overnight I used, according to Exede calculation, .1GB of data, or 100MB. I can assure you, there is no freaking way I used 100MB during my sleep, I had nothing even connected to the net during this time, and also reading other comments, they haven't either. Also, yesterday I did basic web browsing and a 30 minute skype call, racked up 2.5GB of data. According to Excede's own website, you could Skype for 5.5 hours and only hit 1 GB. So, my concern now is the terribly inaccurate data calculation. Who cares if I get 150GB a month if it's being so grossly miscalculated, I may end of hitting that and getting penalized for something that is not even true! So, what say you Exede about your obvious crappy miscalculations? Are you guys going to fix this? So far it's my only problem with you guys. Honestly, your service hasn't been as terrible as I thought switching from an LTE based service. Please let me know how you guys plan to fix your data metering. Thanks!

PS, I can't imagine having such gross miscalculations and being on a 25GB plan, I'd be so pissed! 
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
There are some days I stay on the computer nearly all day. I download some short movies during the evening but not too many. Last month I let the computer and tablet do all the updates during the day and I only used 5GB of data of the 10GB for the month. My Directv Genie, PC, laptop, PTV3000 and Nexus7 is all connected to the network. I never turn the network off. My data meter closely matches Exede's data meter. 

I just checked my Exede's data meter after this months "reset" and it says 0.0GB. 

When you do finally figure out what the problem is please let the forum know so we can learn from your problem. Thanks
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Good suggestion Bsweep. All too often it seems that many come to complain, wind-up getting the issue resolved via email, and never follow-up here as to what the resolution was - might help someone else, including those of us not having the problem that are at a loss to explain this anomaly.        
(Edited)
Photo of Julie

Julie

• 2 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'm with Jeff. I am pissed because I had an "unlimited" plan, but with a supposed slower speed. I "upgraded" to Exede and got a 5GB plan with 10GB promotion and went through it in the first  week! We don't even watch movies!! My kids watch occasional YouTube videos and have Instagram, but they are in school during the day! Where do I get a so called "data meter?" It's frustrating because I have never had to meter my data, but I can't believe that we have gone over our 15GB plan by 3GB and it hasn't even been a month since we got the service! I paid the $9.99 for 1GB to help me download a new iOS and it lasted me 6 minutes and 33 seconds. I'm ready to pay my cancellation fee to get out of this awful service - I cannot do this for two years!
(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Julie, if you can shoot an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, I can take a look into your usage with you to see where it's going. We also have a promotion going on right now, the Great Gig Giveaway, that I think would interest you as well. Thanks for posting.
Photo of Janna

Janna

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'm done with excede as they eat up my data usage just by me breathing. I don't do anything and I use gb. I cannot even make it 10 days without my 10 gb.. I'm canceling my 2 year contract.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Jana - Were the Exede folks unable to help you with data conservation?  Did you try the various recommendations listed on this site?  Many have figured out how to manage their data usage.  If you do have other provider options, maybe that would indeed be a better choice.
Photo of Janna

Janna

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have tried everything. I am going to report this issue to the FCC and see what they have to say
Photo of Joyce Howland

Joyce Howland

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Janna we have been gone from our home on vacation since December 12th and won't return until January 31st.  Took our laptops with us, turned everything off in our home but low and behold we have used 4% of our data this month with no one in my home but the ghosts!  Now how did that data get used with everything turned off? Exede is definitely doing something to use up this data and it is not my husband or me because we have not been home!!!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Joyce, that is mysterious. Many things could be the culprit to this type of data use. If you can send me your account verification to exedelistens@viasat.com, I am glad to look into this to see what happened. Thanks.
Photo of Janna

Janna

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Joyce, I have the same issues.  We completely unplug ours and now use our hotspot on everything.  My husband and I both do hotspot with AT&T for the last 2 weeks and only have used less than 3 g. and that is heavy use of you tube videos which we cannot do with exede.  You cannot do that with Exede.  Hell, I have used 5 g in one day just by syncing my new iphone with a very small upgrade.   No more!  A gig is a gig, I just don't understand why Exede's gig is any different than all the others providers..... 
Photo of Joan David

Joan David

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Joyce, I just sent an email to Exede because I have not been in my house at all in the current billing period and unplugged everything...yet, I've used up 82% if my usage plan.  I have not experienced this with any of the other plans that I've used in the past and this is unacceptable.  I will update the forum when I've heard back from Exede.  I've asked to cancel the service because of this.
Photo of Evonne

Evonne

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We basically use a gig a day whether we are home or not. Our billing cycle started yesterday and we went through 0.8 G, but this evening that number was up to 1.5G. We have one 5 year old PC connected. We are in the county, to far out for our neighbors to tap in, even from the street. I don't understand it! I also find it curious they can charge my card for my bill the day before they tell me my bill is ready. This service is so screwed up, can't believe DirecTv partners with them.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I personally would never be on a satellite service if I could get anything.  In fact we were once again frustrated to be just out of reach of another wISP that had only 1 mbps download available but we would have switched to that if we could have as we have experience with wISP at that speed and it worked just fine and dandy for us.  But that being said...for Julie if you can get back to your old ISP if I were you I would.  But if you want the speed...if your kids are watching youtube quite a bit that is probably where a lot of your data is going.  A lot of people don't realize that video streaming quality changes with the speed of the internet and the higher the quality the more data it uses.  BUT most sites also have a place you can set the video quality down manually.  I have found that by doing that step I can now watch a lot more live streams.  In fact we watched a basketball game last night and set the video quality to 240p (not a very good quality video but we could still follow the game and the audio is still excellent.) and it looks like we may have gotten a 2 hour plus stream for around a half gig.  Good luck and hope this helps a little.
Photo of Joyce Howland

Joyce Howland

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Exede did contact me.  They said that even though I have been away from house almost 2 months that SOFTWARE UPDATES use up data time.   I told them this is a rip off and that they need to correct how they use up my data when I am not home. Believe me if I had any other way to get out from under these people I would do it. Before they were in the picture and it was simply Wild Blue I never went over my data usage but Exede always sends me the email notification that I am getting close to using all my data plan and would benefit to "buy" more gigs from them.   With so many complaints I have to believe this is Exede that is ripping off customers and they know it.   Their stock answer is to say they will look into it, then no resolution except to say it is "your" fault.   We don't stream movies, don't play online games, we do simple searches on the internet, banking, answer emails...............but guess what I am going to get an email from Exede saying they will look into this for me once AGAIN and nothing will change.   We are two retired people, no kids in our home either, can't count on one hand how many times I have watched YouTube videos so what is your answer this time Customer Service?
Photo of Janna

Janna

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
They are a rip off. They don't fix the issues,. I've had them on the phone also and standard robot answers. In my book, 2 year contracts can be broken if service is not satisfactory per the contract. They are not providing the services I signed up for per the contract. :(
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Joyce, have you been able to adjust your usage habits that we
discussed last time? I see where you stated that you had called in and
was informed that your usage was going towards software updates. I would
definitely suggest scheduling such updates to occur during your LNFZ
hours. We recently had a firmware update roll out on 1/19/15 that
definitely would've had an affect on your usage if not scheduled during
these hours. That being said, I would be glad to make an adjustment to
your account in preparation for these scheduling changes.
Photo of Jim Schurr

Jim Schurr

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes

I'm with you, Jeff.  I'm on the 10GB plan, primarily because all I use my computer for is e-mail and an occasional look at facebook.  My historical use has always been below 4GB.  However, these past two months I have exceeded my 10GB limit.  Like you, I used .5GB overnight with nothing on.  I sent an e-mail to Exceed asking for an explanation, but received nothing in return.  I beginning to look for alternates because I am having a hard time trusting this company.

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Seems to me that these excess usage reports consistently mention "these past two months", which coincides with the roll-out of the new "Freedom Plan". Is a pattern emerging, maybe? I'm starting to wonder whether the roll-out messed something up.

Obviously Jeff is on one of the spot beams offering the "Freedom Plan".

Jim, are you one of those on a spot beam offering the "Freedom Plan"?

Easiest way to determine - simply go to http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/service-availability enter your ZIP Code and see if it's being offered for your ZIP code.

(Edited)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Jim, I do not see any emails from you. /: Can you please send another one to exedelistens@viasat.com so we can assist you with your data? Thanks so mcuh.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Yes I agree we also would like more specifics on this,  we bought extra Verizon data to use since it came quite cheaply recently and I have been using that a lot the past few days because the way it worked out I have a significant amount to use up by the 15th of the month.  It seems that no matter how hard I try to use it up, it is going at a significantly slower rate than I had seen doing the same activities on Exede, even considering we also have 5 cell phones also using that same data pool along with my computer/internet activities.  It would be really nice if Exede would just start being visible for customers by showing them exact data use like Verizon does.  The good things for me though is I should have almost unlimited internet through Verizon the next couple weeks as I have in excess of 25 GB to use up.  :)
Photo of Joyce Howland

Joyce Howland

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I have Verizon service in my neighborhood and am considering switching to them as I'm tired of Exede internet service.   One thing I did learn is that Dish and Direct TV use your satellite to download movies from Pay per View and On Demand services.
I'm going to check in with them on pricing because I'm sick of Exede quite frankly.  The customer service gal, Kimberly, is nice enough but she never solves any of the problems.   I firmly believe that Exede knows it is cheating it's customers especially since I have been gone for close to 2 months on winter vacation but I'm still using data at home with nothing plugged in.  When we get home I'm checking into Verizon for an internet connection.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Joyce, have you been able to adjust your usage habits that we
discussed last time? I see where you stated that you had called in and
was informed that your usage was going towards software updates. I would
definitely suggest scheduling such updates to occur during your LNFZ
hours. We recently had a firmware update roll out on 1/19/15 that
definitely would've had an affect on your usage if not scheduled during
these hours. That being said, I would be glad to make an adjustment to
your account in preparation for these scheduling changes.
Photo of mlcash

mlcash

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
How are we supposed to know you are doing a firmware update? And how would we be able to schedule it during the off hours since you are pushing it out. We switched from Hughesnet in November and consistently seem to be using way over the 25GB - 37 to 45 GB (luckily we have the 6 month promo). Our internet usage hasn't really changed since we switched from Hughesnet and when we had Hughesnet we were using about 24 GB. We will be in a mess once our 6 month promo is over.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
I do not believe the Exede modem updates are counted against your data usage. Normally they are done during the midnight to 5 a.m. period, and also only occur every few months. It is the Windows or Apple OS system updates, and other software updates and apps that should be scheduled during the LNFZ if at all possible.
Photo of Kevin C.

Kevin C.

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Be careful with switching to Verizon LTE Internet. I have been battling them for over a year now for the same unexplainable data usage (always middle of the night). The only difference is, with Exede they throttle the speed, with Verizon you get stuck with a $400 bill for a service you never even used. This problem is not limited to any particular company. Look around online; every satellite internet provider has long rants of the exact same issue. And it is always "our" fault. As much as people complain about Comcast, I would kill for the chance to get screwed by them instead.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Jeff,

I understand your concerns about your data usage. The amount of data used will vary depending on the activity. Let me view your usage categories and see where your data is being consumed.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
ExedeKarmin, I appreciate the very "canned" customer response (extreme sarcasm here). Of course I know that data will vary depending on activity, writing comments like that only makes me believe you didn't even read my first post, or maybe didn't comprehend it. People on this forum don't want canned responses, they want a human on the other end who understands and can answer very basic questions, one being "how do we get metered for using data overnight when nothing is hooked up?" I'll email you now, but, from the sound of others on this forum, doesn't sound like it will do much good. If you can't handle this type of situation, please take it to your boss. It needs to be escalated to the point of development where you guys are making sure your data metering is accurate, at this point it's simply not. That would fix everything and you'd have extremely happy customers. 
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Jeff,

Thank you for sending the requested email.  My ultimate goal is to help you get your issues resolved. I will be contacting you shortly.
Photo of Evonne

Evonne

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Two weeks ago ... has anyone gotten back to you about your issue?
Photo of Joyce Howland

Joyce Howland

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I firmly believe these are all canned responses from Exede employees.  Shame on you exede for the poor customer service.   Saying "I'll be glad to look into it for you" is getting old and is not solving any problems at all.   I'm looking forward to contacting Verizon when I get home from my extended vacation.  Using 4% of my allotted data allowance when I'm not home and nothing plugged in is ridiculous!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Joyce, have you been able to adjust your usage habits that we discussed last time? I see where you stated that you had called in and was informed that your usage was going towards software updates. I would definitely suggest scheduling such updates to occur during your LNFZ hours. We recently had a firmware update roll out on 1/19/15 that definitely would've had an affect on your usage if not scheduled during these hours. That being said, I would be glad to make an adjustment to your account in preparation for these scheduling changes.
Photo of Danita

Danita

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
Write a repI'm there with you Jeff. I also changed to Excede and it has been horrible. And their customer service is the same. I've called many, many times and wasted so much time, only to be constantly be given the same veribage about "usage varies" LOL.
I was away and had everything shut off to come home to find my service wasn't working. Once they fixed their side and I had to reboot everything, they stated I used all my 15 GB in one day! The same day! And that I must have had many items needing to download. That was last week and when I called, they said it could be how my dish was pointed, and WAS I SURE that no one else was home?
Then I came home yesterday to find out that my service was suspended. When I called, the customer service rep stated that it was shut off due to not paying my bill. When I disagreed with her, she LOOKED FURTHER, and found out that it COULD of been an error. COULD HAVE been a "lightning strike" or "Weather related." COULD HAVE been an error on their part. Then she very unprofessionally told me that all she was trying to do was help and that I needed to stop over talking her. Which, was her way of saying, that she didn't like the fact that I was challenging her information. She even stated that she was going to write in the notes that I was "irate" and she couldn't do her job. And when I started telling her that I was very dissatisified with the service, she hung up on me.
Which I EXPECTED because of how she was handling the call.
I'm sure that call wasn't recorded for quality service!

As a manager of a major call center, I am astounded at the horrible customer service and the lack of knowledge recieved when you call and ask them to explain how they are monitoring the data usage.

Believe me, I will be making sure I respond in kind and let others know not to consider this company.

Let's see how fast something goes wrong with my internet connection!  
Photo of Lee Etta Greer

Lee Etta Greer

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I recently changed to this service and have been VERY DISSATISFIED. I have 10 GB with a 6 month promo of 20GB and am going over the 20 in like 2 or 3 days. I can not and WILL NOT settle for this for 2 years. When I was with Hughesnet I didn't even have 10 GB and never went over, it was just too slow.( I should have just upgraded with them!) So you can not tell me I am going over with 20 GB!!!! And their only solution is to add more. why should I pay more. Heck no!!!! I am going to get out of this contract one way or the other and I will not pay any penalties for leaving. I am so very dissatisfied. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hey Lee Etta, if you can send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, we can take a look into your usage and help determine what's eating it up. Thank you.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
If Exede Kimberly does fix it please let the rest of us know what  they did, It's they only way we will find out.
(Edited)
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Danita,

As a manager of a major call center, I'm sure you deal with a lot of different personalities.  In no way do we want our customers to feel like they are not being taken care of. I will be more than happy to assist you with any issues that you have regarding your account.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  I look forward to assisting you.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Just wanted to let the forum know I have worked with customer service, it's basic stuff like "your data is 45% web surfing, 20% music, etc..." which is stuff I already know. There has also been no answer as to how I've used data when nothing was on. But, this is my conclusion, yes, it seems that Exede overestimates data (as I've seen one member who's router actually tracks the data) but from what I can tell from a week of using it, it doesn't grossly overestimate data. Since I'm on the Freedom plan, I'll be honest, I'm ok with that. The streaming has been amazing, and just everyday use is not terrible (not nearly as bad as I thought with the latency). I just have so much more to worry about then 100MB here and there, it's not worth it for me. But, I will say, if I was on a 10GB/month plan I would be giving Exede crap. I would have a router that tracks usage and I would only pay for that, or make them fix there metering. Anyway...that's my conclusion after being a week in with Exede. Hope that helps someone. 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thank you for posting your feedback Jeff. This information helps us to known which areas of our assistance could use improvement. I am glad to hear you're happy with your Exede Freedom plan. We make every effort to ensure our data meter is accurate, but oftentimes data can be consumed in ways that are hard to see. If you have any specific examples, please let us know and we'll look into it.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Kimberly, not sure how many times I can say it. My specific example is my internet reset for a new months, nothing was connected to the internet (trust me, I am keenly aware of all my devices) and when I woke up I had already used 100MB or .1GB of data. Now, could I have used 5 to 10MB, absolutely, but 100MB in my sleep, not a chance. That's my specific example and Verizon truly tracked data usage down to the KB. I hate how you guys simply estimate in 100MB increments, it's just sloppy. Anyway, there you go. You want to keep pushing it back on me like I'm the idiot and I just don't know what I have hooked up to my router. But, for once you guys need to take this to development and have them more accurately display usage. It's obviously not just me, I've read the same thing OVER and OVER. Anyway, that's my advice and that's a simple way to solve it. 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I hear what you're saying and I am here to help in any way that I can. If you'd like me to review your account and see what I can find, please feel free to send me an email. Thank you.
Photo of Julie

Julie

• 2 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I think I have called every day this week. It is AWFUL!!! Now I have to figure out if my router tracks usage.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Julie, I have responded to one of your comments above. Thank you.
Photo of Renee Jurina

Renee Jurina

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We've had Wild Blue/Exede since 2010.  Both my husband and I have computers, smart phones and tablets.  Since we can only use one device at a time, I'm thinking their metering is off too.  We exceeded our a couple of times in the fist three years, but this year has been horrible.  For few months our meter reset on the 8th and by the 16th we received an over the limit notification.  Every month we have exceeded our limit 15GIGs.  we do not stream videos, we do not Skype.  I was told several times that it was from using Skype.  I Explained we don't even have Skype on our computers.  No matter what I said, I was wrong.  I called today to see if the freedom plan was available.  I was told no.  I asked her to explain our usage.  This time, for the last two months I was told we used 70% of the 15 gigs in Marketing Places.  Something sounds wrong to me and I'm a long time customer thinking of looking elsewhere for internet service.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Renee, being on the 15GB plan with Exede, if I were you, I would IMMEDIATELY go to Verizon HomeFusion (now called LTE installed). It is a MUCH better product, low ping speeds (no latency like Exede), VERY fast, upload and download speeds that are incredible, etc. I would still be with Verizon if Exede wasn't dangling this 150GB/month in front of me, it's what caused me to switch over, otherwise I never would have considered it. Check it out in the link and let me know what you think, if it's available and you truly have no other option for broadband, it's unbelievable. Exede was a step back for me in everything except data. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/lte-internet-installed/ 
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
what is this 150GB plan?
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The Verizon LTE INSTALLED Iisnt available but perhaps ATT - I actually am a human that is tech enabled and I am frustrated at 1990's modem speeds from Exede.
Photo of Michael Jurina

Michael Jurina

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
150 gig plan is called the freedom plan and its inot available I'm most area. A friend of mine has it that lives 45 minutes from me. He has it, I can't get it.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hey John, Michael explained the Freedom plan above, gives me 150GB/month which is truly unbelievable for rural internet. As far as 1990 modem speeds, I've been pretty impressed with Exede speeds, every time I test I'm about 20MB down and between 1.5 to 4MB up. The only issue is a ping of around 800 but even that's not nearly as terrible as I thought. ATT does have the same service Verizon has, though, I don't have any personal experience with it, I would imagine it would be the same. As you already know, knowing tech, LTE speeds are amazing and with Verizon my ping speeds were in the 70's. Let know know if you go with ATT and how you like it. http://www.att.com/cellphones/att/wireless-home-phone-and-internet.html#fbid=a_XJ4wAwAf0
(Edited)
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Exede' speeds are slower than the country of Sierra Leone. Out in the middle of the sticks by the DMZ IN Korea the internet speeds are 300mps- no caps.
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am taking a class at UCSD and one of my fellow students is a tech mgr from Viasat; I think Viasat is struggling with consumer services
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
John, South Korea has the fastest internet speeds in the world on average. That's a little unfair to compare Exede speeds to their speeds, your comparing apples to oranges. One is rural intent not connected via copper or fiber lines and one is hard wired, you just can't compare the two. I mean, google is laying lines that are 1GB/s  (1000/mbps) up and down but I'm not comparing Exede to that, it's just unfair. For rural internet, Exede is pretty amazing. 20 down is nothing to scoff at, btw, the average internet speed in America is 10mbps mind you (that's overall, not just rural). So, with that in mind Exede is 2X the speed of American "average internet." Anyway, just want to make sure you keep the conversation fair. 
Photo of Evonne

Evonne

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I get my meter watch messages after I've hit limit, it's so helpful! LOL not
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I have multiple computers, tablets, smartphones and security cameras all on my Exede connection. It is not unusual for my house to have four or more devices on at the same time and at least two devices connected 24/7.  I am coming up on nine years with Wildblue/Exede.  I have never seen data disappear from my account mysteriously.  Booting up your computer first thing in the morning after your usage has been reset during the night, you can easily blow through 0.1 GB before you can even get to the Exede website to check your data usage.  It can be hard to figure out, but there is a logical explanation for your data consumption.
Photo of Renee Jurina

Renee Jurina

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We have never had a problem until this year.  And when I call to find out whats eating up the gigs I get told its something we've never used like Skype, or marketing places..  It doesn't make sense.  
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Jep, good to hear they have always been pretty accurate with you. 
Photo of Joyce Howland

Joyce Howland

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Something has definitely changed with our usage even though we are doing the same thing we have always done.   Not until this year did we ever have a problem with usage.   Now suddenly I get a notice that we have exceeded our data usage and need to buy more.   We've been with them from the inception, roughly 6-7 years.  Seems a lot of people are having problems with Excede/wild blue internet usage.  Why is the company not looking into this?   My guess is they want you to buy more time, just like we have had to do.     I really want to change to another service now and will as soon as I can figure out who that will be.  Never had a problem before Excede came into the picture.   Wild Blue satellite internet was perfect for our needs back then.  Remember nothing has changed in our household so why the overage on our data usage???  
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
If you send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, I'd like to help you figure out where this usage came from. Thanks for posting.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I have received your email and will assist you shortly. (:
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
JEP

I sure would like to hear it !!
Photo of Angela Arnce

Angela Arnce

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Jeff, I just signed w them 2 wks ago, & 20gb gone when I got home this weekend. I havent even been here!!!! This is the worse Internet Ever!!!!  Ive been on the phone with them all day.....SO OVER THIS NONSINCE!!!!!
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Angela, just be sure all your loose ends are tied up. For instance, is your router secure? You could have neighbors hopping on and stealing your net. Also, were any devices connected that could have sucked down your net. I do believe that Exede data is slightly inaccurate but I would have trouble believing it would be 20GB off, that's insane! Been tracking steady for a week and they are close to accurate, though slightly overestimated. I would recommend getting a router that meters data and traffic, then you'll know 100%. If you aren't using data and they say you are, now you have a case. That's what I would do if my data was that grossly miscalculated. Let me know what you end up doing. 
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Angela, forgot to ask what plan you are on and how much data you are allowed per month. 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Angela, I can take a look at your usage with you to help determine where your data went while you were away. Please send your information to exedelistens@viasat.com and I will take a look. Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of Angela Arnce

Angela Arnce

• 8 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Jeff I live out in the middle of Now Where Babe!!!! I'm Only home on weekends!! Not to mention I would have Never signed with only being able to watch 2 or 3 movies from Netflix a month.... That's INSANE!!!! I'm SO OVER It!!

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
2 HD movies equals 8 GB, 3 equals 12 GB. You can reduce those numbers by changing the Netflix picture quality to lower settings, and watch many more movies.
Photo of Lee Etta Greer

Lee Etta Greer

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

I am being told mine is 85% streaming. Well I didn't have that problem with the company I switched from. I have 20 GB with  promo and I didn't even have 10 GB with the other company. This company is nothing but a JOKE!!!! I have been very dissatisfied and have only been a customer for 2 months. I'm dying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
What is it that you are streaming? Video eats up the data the quickest by far. One hour of streaming can eat up about 2.3GB in HD. Switching to SD only uses about 0.75/hour. Just a helpful thought. 
Photo of Dave 12

Dave 12

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Great report Jeff, been on the edge of dropping Verizon (10 gb hotspot) and using Exede (25 gb plan) for the past two months.  Not sure I like what is being said about Exede, though to be fair, I have seen lots of complaints about Fusion (now under a new name), and COMCAST (though no cable in my area).  Wanted to know if you are able to monitor activity of your Usage from another ISP (i.e. at work)?  If your Router is turned off, for say a day or two, does it show data usage?  If so that would worry me more than anything.

Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 12 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hey Dave, thanks for posting. I am able to monitor my net from another ISP, I just monitor through my cell phone. The first few days I was pretty worried that Exede was charging me way to much in data, especially with my experience of the reset and then waking up to having already used 100MB, that was when I initially wrote this. But, after having it more than a week now, their data has been pretty spot on. I never turn off the modem and my router because I have wifi thermostat units in my house that I control remotely, but, when I'm not here I do not see my internet usage going up as I had feared. I still stand by my statement that they overestimate data, but, it's not by much. Read on here one customer has a router that tracks data, he concluded the same thing. If you are able to get any LTE service like Verizon Home Fusion (now called LTE Installed) or ATT, trust me, you'll be happier with it as far as speeds and latency. You could EASILY game over those systems. (I'm not a gamer but I understand ping speeds). I was getting 20/10 mbps with Verizon LTE Installed with 70ms ping speed, for where I live that unbelievable. I am with you as I have read the exact same reports about Verizon overcharging for data and people being so pissed at them. I was pretty cautious to go with them as well at first because of everything I read, I think more people hate them than the people who hate Exede. But, in my experience, they were VERY accurate and fair, and track data down to the kb, so, they aren't estimating in 100MB increments like Exede. Also, the price for the data you pay is very reasonable. I've read all over the net where Verizon is taking advantage and charging people so much for their service, blah blah, these are clearly idiots who have never researched rural internet prices. I will say if the Exede Freedom plan is available, you may want to consider it, it truly has been amazing. I've been watching shows, downloading episodes, renting movies, playing my Sonos system, controlling my house thermostats, and I'm not even close to my allowed usage (which would technically be about 5GB/day). I am WAY happier with Exede than I initially thought I would be. Even Skype is pretty amazing on here. I hope this helps you in making a decision, please feel free to ask me anything else as I'd be happy to help. 
Photo of Lee Etta Greer

Lee Etta Greer

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Dave, If you are smart you will stay away from this company!!!! Just sayin
Photo of Nikki

Nikki

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
ok wait im a new customer and from the 1/12 to 1/21 used up 70% of my 10GB now 1/23 i'm at 90% i figured that maybe the 70% was from carbonite was takin up all the GB backing up i took it off on 1/21. looking at what some of you are saying i have to reset the modem EVERYDAY! what the heck is that.

• 3127 Posts
  • 2012 Reply Likes
Nikki, there is no reason to reset your modem unless you have lost your connection with the internet. Be careful of the data hungry things, any cloud based apps, Carbonite backup, they are data hogs. There is a thread on this forum with many helpful hints to help you control some of the data consumers. It takes a little while to figure out these things, but there are also many folks on here willing to help you. We all learned by experience. Good luck.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Nikki, if you want to shoot your info over to exedelistens@viasat.com, I can take a look at your data traffic with you to see what's going on here. Thanks.
Photo of WillyMcDee

WillyMcDee

• 103 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I wonder that after using a ISP for  sometime years and receiving one data usage.  Even with Exede's greater advertised specks  , we now have to change our computer usage habits in order to get the same usage.
Photo of Kevin C.

Kevin C.

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had the same problems with Verizon LTE internet ($120 - 30Gb plan). I have been battling them for more than a year now over the constant unexplainable data usage (always middle of the night). The only difference is, with Exede they throttle the speed, with Verizon you get stuck with a $400 bill for a service you never even used. I was looking into switching to Exede, but research shows this problem is not limited to any particular company. Look around online; every satellite internet provider has long rants of the exact same issue. And it is always "our" fault. As bad as this whole conversation sounds, it's still preferable to what I deal with at Verizon. As much as people complain about Comcast, I would kill for the chance to get screwed by them instead.
Photo of Jason Crawford

Jason Crawford

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I have exede and having the same issue, i can literally check my usage, unplug my modem for a few hours and plug it back in and i have mysteriously used 700mbs of data while it was off, this happens all of the time, i have tried calling in about it and they want to charge me 30$ to come fix their equipment that i am renting from them... i pay 141$ a month and get very poor service, i was with hughes net i should have stayed.. the only reason i switched was the free night plan, but i never went over when i was with hughesnet and i had less data on it, now i am barely able to make it thru the month with data, i run linux on my computers i have no viruses, no updates, and my wifi is secure, everytime i call they blame it on my end, yet my data goes up when my modem is off... 
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hi Jason, I would be more than happy to review your account details and check your usage categories. I would love to discuss ways to maximize your data. Please feel free to send us an email at exedelistens@viasat.com.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.