Data issues

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I am not happy with my service! I pay $170 a month for this. As soon as my new month begins, we've already used all of our data within the first few days! This is ridiculous
Photo of Kimberly Blount

Kimberly Blount

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
my data is also being used up rapidly, seems like their dns servers are infected agin, I also get a lot of redirects since Wednesday.we just reset and normally I have not even used but around 1 gig by this point if that much even.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Gaming, streaming video or music, on demand and watch form the beginning TV services, gaming, updates and, social media all use tons of data. With ANY metered service, you need to limit those things, run ad blockers, flash blockers and, large media blockers to keep the majority of your bandwidth for what is really important to you.

Alternately, you might consider a Business plan for more data and, slightly faster speeds.
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I do only facebook and email in the daytime and they ALWAYS still show videos,streaming,media,storage and all other bs which never takes place on my network. dns servers do get infected and data depletion.slow/no internet is real even when a customer has no control over the issues. I have done every type of testing you can think of and I have seen many times data will still go away even with the lan cable unplugged from the back of the modem even after a reset and cable unplugged duering free zone(which also I have seen count towards daytime data) so the "Catch up" excuse can not be used in these type of cases.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Facebook does stream video, sometimes audio and, there are games that use Flash. That is a major data user unless you turn off auto loading videos in FB settings or, use a media blocker like UBlock Origin for Firefox.
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I don't play games on fb, and all auto play disabled, and have several blockers as well for ads so now what? I know when things are not rite as my router keeps logs as well as another program on each (2) laptops that keep up with in and out traffic. last time the dns servers were infected I had the same problem, I watched my data go to 120 percent within 10mins with the lan cable unplugged from the back of modem.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2215 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
Hi Kimberly, I'm sorry to hear that, Give us the opportunity to take a look at your account.  Please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com.  We also have articles to help with your data usage. Please review this at your convenience. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3705 Posts
  • 3725 Reply Likes
Furthermore, Facebook uses the newer HTML5 video/audio streaming as opposed to Flash (if your browser supports HTML5 and most do) - auto play is just one of the problems but easily addressed with Facebook settings. The larger problem is the "preload" (also called auto buffer) attribute of HTML5 media and its behavior varies by browser implementation. Actually some browser default to pre-load when nothing is specified. 

One problematic behavior for those on limited data plans is that HTML5 video/audio will preload in the background regardless of whether you intend you watch them or not - I repeat, regardless of whether you intend to watch them or not or click play.

The only reliable way to prevent this that I've found is to use Firefox and install the FlashControl add-on which restores the expected click to play with no preload behavior - see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-control/

As an example, the following screen capture is from an animal shelter Facebook page I frequently visit:

It's an HD video (despite the blurred screen capture looks to be 720p). In this case I disabled flash control, went to the page and waited for about 20 seconds, At that point, I clicked play and immediately paused the video - in the 20 seconds where I wasn't doing anything, 1 minute and 50 seconds of the video had already pre-loaded  due to Facebook's use of HTML5. Even worse there were 3 other videos on the same page that had similarly pre-loaded with no autoplay requested.

In 20 seconds, approximately 40+ MB was gone in a flash...

Clearing the cache, re-enabling FlashControl, exiting Firefox and then revisiting the page it consumed less than 2 MB of data and I had the option of watching them or not (typically I don't unless during the LNFZ)  with no adverse data impacts.

Given the large number of web sites that are abandoning Flash in favor of HTML5 it's only going to get worse for those on limited data plans unless you take steps to address it on your own and then some web developer will come up with new and exciting ways to use your data without your knowledge, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water... those same developers aren't really concerned about the relatively minuscule number of satellite users in the grander scheme of things nor inclined to put in the extra work required to extend courtesy to those few satellite users who face severe data limits (whether hard or soft caps).         

P.S. This likely doesn't impact those who use mobile devices - mobile device browsers don't implement it this way since cellular service has typically had severe data constraints to begin with. In addition all of the above was just verified using GlassWire to analyze traffic and data usage during that sample scenario mentioned above.   
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Photo of Charlene Rose

Charlene Rose

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Just got it! I'm in my LNFZ time and can work on configuring it, and try it out. Any suggestions for controlling spam In the app that comes on iPad, or another program that I can tell what spam to block? Thanks again!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3705 Posts
  • 3725 Reply Likes
So is the Safari browser, while on wifi, one of the devices not likely impacted? Thanks!
Not necessarily... Apple is as tone deaf about this issue as Microsoft is (see Windows 10's inability to set an ethernet wired connection as metered). More likely they could care less about the fractional percentage of global users who must rely on satellite internet.

Searching Apple and other forums an answer, yields only non-answers. While technically a mobile device, that categorization is typically only applied when using cellular connections (and assumes having an iPad with both cell and WIFI). When WIFI the device becomes a portable device distinctly different from a mobile device.

For example, searching for "how to conserve data on iPad"  on even the official Apple support forums yields use WIFI connections whenever possible! Naturally this overlooks the simple fact that some WIFI connections are in fact metered.

However, there is some suggestion that WIFI connections on the iPad and other "mobile" devices utilize more data than when connecting to cellular networks - developers make the erroneous assumption that WIFI is "always" unlimited (or worse still that it's free) and tweak the applications to provide a better user experience at the cost off added data usage.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that  whole lot of Apple uber-techies frequent this forum who could provide a more detailed solution targeting Apple products (and as mentioned elsewhere am not an Apple kind of guy).

You're correct in that solutions offered here should identify applicable operating systems, browsers and devices including their versions (in this particular case it was a response to Josh - a known Windows user). But then again, those having problems should simialrly identify their environments to avoid recommendations that are not applicable - there are just too many combinations to wade through.

The best option would be to install a robust traffic monitor application - but  a search for one for iPad didn't yield a reliable suggestion. Most of them appear only to handle cellular connections to the level of detail that's required (e.g. Glasswire's level on Windows only)   - again reflecting faulty developer logic that data limitations are not a concern for WIFI users. See http://voip.about.com/od/voipbandwidth/tp/Data-Usage-Monitor-Apps-For-Your-Iphone-And-Ipad.htm - but once again appears most emphasize cellular usage, not WIFI, and only provide cumulative usage counts. With that approach you'll only be treating the symptoms and not the underlying problem.    

P.S. There does appear to be a version of Firefox for iOS which would open up a possibility that the Flash Control add-on might also work with Firefox for iOS (emphasis on might) - as noted FireFox was not my first choice. When faced with having to buy more data or upgrade my plan, it quickly became my first choice and has allowed me to stay on the Exede 12-10 plan.          
(Edited)
Photo of Charlene Rose

Charlene Rose

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks again Old Labs! I will definitely look up the link you sent. Thank you so much for taking the time to research this for me. I spent almost the whole LNFZ trying different programs and researching all of this stuff. Had problems with speed bottoming out, spent too much time speed testing, sometimes it was so slow, speed test wouldn't work.
Anyway, due to speed, and not knowing if my browsing problems were due to new apps or speed. I wasted 5 hours. I even tried cellular. had to buy some access during flood (see 2016 WV Flood of the Century) and it was no help to evaluate new apps. Only had 3 bars. We live in a rural area. Anyway, thanks again! I'll look into Firefox and see if the Flash control will work on iOS.
Photo of Charlene Rose

Charlene Rose

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
PS: You're right. The person posting should post their operating system, browser, and device as well as the person helping.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
The ONLY solution for these types of issues when using Satellite that I have found to be absolutely reliable is to put in a router / gateway that you can tweak to block the things you do not want to pass in or out of your network.

I have a custom built firewall based on PFSesne with Snort, Squid, Squidguard, PFBlocker setup on it for transparent proxying of both HTTP and HTTPS data.  I setup PFBlocker to block any communications to any site outside of the US (don't need them except for some facebook and instangram services - those I setup custom rules to pass the data through).

I then setup rules so that during non-LNFZ hours only a few systems have access to the internet and then during LNFZ I open it up to all devices on the network.  I setup a download manager on a system at the house and we queue videos or other downloads to that system which then get transferred to a network hard drive for access from any of the required devices that need it.

Doing this I conserve enough data that I am probably going to drop my plan down from the 25 to the 15 or maybe even the 10.  The proxy server allow probably saves me 5 GB to 10 GB of repeat data every month with its caching.  

I block all update sites at the firewall until the LNFZ or until I choose to unblock them and let the updates run (usually last couple days of a billing cycle). 

That is what it takes to control the data.  I tried it with simpler routers or other settings and was still eating data.  With this setup I can pretty much do what I want without worrying about how much bandwidth its going to cost me.  I can block videos over a certain size or flash or whatever I want if I needed to.  Fortunately for now, I am not seeing any issues.

Good luck to all.  Just posting my experiences.
Photo of Charlene Rose

Charlene Rose

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That sounds perfect! I doubt if I could figure it all out though. It would probably save me money in the long run to hire someone to set it up. The main problem with that is finding someone who could, with out them just saying they know how. Then being at their financial mercy. This does give me a learning goal though.
Could you help my learning process with the name, model number of your router? Thanks!