• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • pissed

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of John M.

John M.

• 17 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Samantha, I very much share your frustration and sadness at the unfortunate performance issues and "support" that many of of suffer with as Exede customers. Now that I'm just past my 1-month mark, I wanted to share a software tool that I've found fairly useful. It's described and discussed on other sections of the forum (frequently in a non-flattering way) but I've found it to be both educational and very useful. It's a software tool that will measure your up\download volumes and also will record how much bandwidth you use and can be broken out into: hours, days, weeks and months. It will give you details on how many and what kinds of devices might be logged into your network and best of all, is free to use! (I purchased the paid version after trying it, since it will save the monthly recordings). It's called GlassWire and will also provide an additional measure of security to your system, by beefing up your firewall. It's designed to work on both Windows and Android and, while there are other options out there, I've found the interface and function to be both easy, useful and attractive. https://www.glasswire.com/ (I don't work for or derive any benefit from this, just wanted to share a tool I've found useful). 
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The tier 3 tech recommended the same thing and the tech installed it. But we are still losing data and massive amounts of data at that. They can't tell me were my data is going or give me ssid numbers to the devices that are connected. But they can tell me that my HP laptop is connected etc. I have recorded every phone call to Exede and every time I ask were my data is going we get i don't know.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
Glasswire only records the data used by the single device it is installed on. Other devices that access the internet through your router are not shown in Glassware, but count toward your total usage.
Photo of LinuxFun

LinuxFun

• 34 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Does it work in Linux?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
No, currently only Windows 7, 8 or 10 as well as a recent Android version. However, Networx appears to have a Linux version:

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
(Edited)
Photo of LinuxFun

LinuxFun

• 34 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Is there any free alternative to monitor data for Linux?
(Edited)
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Why don't you just get a router that tracks data usage?

That would report all possible connection paths as well as pin point usage per device per defined time period. That way you would have a complete picture of your Network and would be able to determine where your conservation efforts should be directed.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Ruh-oh!

Somebody changed the thread title.

Freedom of speech and 1st Amendment debate commences in 3, 2, 1....
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
First off, as per the user agreement you signed:  "You acknowledge all download and upload Internet Service speeds are “up to,” are not guaranteed and will vary"

Second, as any Exede rep will tell you, the modem does not report usage real time. It generally does report within 15 minutes, but  it can take up to 24 hours for usage to be reported. Longer if the modem is unplugged or, no connection is available due to weather or other issues, then it will report unreported usage as soon as a connection to the gateway is available again.

Usage is more than simply what you may be aware of, it's updates, cloud services, etc... that can happen in the background with little or no notification or evidence that the data was used by one of your devices.

As for devices, the Exede data monitoring system makes the best guess based on the application, operating system and, purpose used. If I only connect my iPhone to download music, the system may see it as an iPod, If I text on my iPad, it may see it as an iPhone. A safari browser could be seen as a MAC computer, even if it is actually a windows computer.

Beyond that, Exede has no way of verifying how secure your router is or, if at any time you permitted a visitor or guest to use your connection.

I hate to say it, but this is not the first such "threat" I have seen posted, never heard of any of them going anywhere.
(Edited)
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have my Wi-Fi password protected. Exede stated that we had a Windsor medical device connected to our Wi-Fi. No one in my household is on any kind of medical device. We have no neighbors that are on medical devices and even if they were the Wi-Fi signal doesn't even reach to their homes.
Second we did not sign any agreement noe were we told that our 25mbps was "some of the time" " or up to" why would anyone pay for a service that they are not getting on a regular basis?
How can we use only 85% of 150gb our first month? And we were streaming Netflix, Hulu PlayStation and has 7 devices connected. Second month we used 150gb in 12 days so we disconnected everything and watched movies on the blue ray. Third month again 150gbs home in 12 days same scenario as above. Forth month 150gbs in 8 days at this point we are unplugging the modem from the wall for 3 days and we still managed to lose 10gbs.
Again we are in Louisiana on vacation nothing is connected but yet data is still being used.
Photo of Carol Barker DeCosta

Carol Barker DeCosta

• 73 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Our. Data only lasts 10 days, we have a much lesser amount than you, last December I kept buying mot gb and it didappeared as fast as I bought it, I understand what you are going through
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
" Threat"? No this is not a threat at all. I can't wait to have Exedes executive's in a court room explaining to a Judge how someone can use data when the modem is unplugged and the family is out of town. And yes every phone call is recorded, videos are being made showing that the modem us turned off but yet the customer service person is telling me that it's on.
And I'll even take them to court on pro se, so don't sit there and say this is a threat! I'm just in the process of gathering information and other Exede consumers who are having the same issues.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
Instead of trying to claim that "Exede is stealing my data," possibly you could look further into what your glasswire program is telling you?  Have you tried disconnecting your wifi from the internet and then see what happens to your usage?

Personally, I don't have, need or use wifi,  and have never had a problem with "data being taken."  My data usage as shown by Exede has always agreed with the data usage as shown by the windows network adapter status window.
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It's completely unplugged no power no Wi-Fi signal 150gbs in 8 days with 1 device connected to do school work on which is a HP laptop for maybe 4 hours? Verses a Verison Jetpack with 6 devices only using 6.95gbs
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
And I'll even take them to court on pro se, so don't sit there and say this is a threat!
My experience with the fraudulent courts has been that people who go "pro se" often end up with a rather hefty "common barratry" price put on their head by the fraudulent courts.  The unfortunate thing here is that the fraudulent courts might also find that they have an excuse to fleece Exede as well.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
It's completely unplugged no power no Wi-Fi signal 150gbs in 8 days with 1 device connected to do school work...
What this all comes down to is: my network works and yours doesn't, and I have the same Exede service you do.  Actually you have a much bigger data plan than I do and I have no problem with data.  So, what in your network is eating up your data?  I have seen many other situations like this and the problem has always turned out to be some rogue device or program on the customer's end that no one thought to look for.
(Edited)
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
How can data be used when the modem is physically unplugged from the wall and 10gbs mysteriously disappeared? There is 1 device connected only when i do my school work. There's no way I can use 150gbs doing school work twice a week for 4 hours. My so called 25mbps is running at 5.24 even at a speed of 5.24 and 150gbs with one device is impossible.
We did an experiment we unplugged the Exede modem from the wall no power. I used my mother in-laws Verison Jetpack, she had 5 devices connected plus my laptop, she also runs a business through her iPad. For 1 month 6 devices plus a business being ran between the both of us we used 6.6.95gbs in 1 month. How is that? Exede refuses to send me a break down of the usage along with the ssdi numbers to the devices connected to the modem. But yet they can tell me what devices are connected to the modem what was done with that device so again Exede is a company who has no problems ripping people off
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes
Samantha,
I suggest you read the following topic:

https://community.exede.com/exede/top...

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Agreed something else appears to be using your bandwidth (but we've got little to go on here), and rapidly to the extent that it's monopolizing it and preventing you from reaching 25 Mbps on a speed test.

Remember that the 25 Mbps is overall shared capacity on your connection.

Data is most likely not being consumed when the modem is unplugged.   

In theory at least, a 25 Mbps connection can consume 11+ GB per hour when fully utilized... for example cloud backups would use it, malware, auto updates, etc and the speed test is only measuring "speed" based on its own data. For a speed test to be accurate, absolutely nothing else can be using your connection while it runs.  

Appears you've got Glasswire running on at least one machine, why not simply post a screen capture of its usage tab? It may yield some clues at least on that machine... remember Glasswire on capture information on the machine it is installed on, and  not all traffic going through your modem.
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
I hate to say it, but this is not the first such "threat" I have seen posted, never heard of any of them going anywhere.
I will second Bev here.  Further, having intimate knowledge of how attorneys and the fraudulent courts work, the best outcome by far for Samantha is for her so called "class action suit" to go nowhere.  The fraudulent courts are an experience so bad you can't imagine it, until you actually experience it, as well as theft by force under color of law, if you're lucky.

Exede does try to work in good faith with its customers.  The fraudulent courts by contrast see anyone unfortunate enough to interact with them as exploitable playthings to be fleeced at will pursuant to their sadistic whims and fantasies.
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Would you like to hear the excuses from Exedes customer service representatives? The only good faith that Exede has is getting their money every month
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
I have heard plenty of those same excuses from those same front line people.  You might not be aware of this, but, like many smaller companies these days, Exede relies on 3rd parties (i.e. companies other than itself) to provide service to its customers.  As Gwalk900 said: the front line 3rd party customer support are script driven filters and may not provide the needed focus.

I simply go beyond those front line people and work directly with the people who work directly for Exede.  The moderators on this forum and the people who service exedelistens@viasat.com work directly for Exede.  Have you tried working directly with them to get your problem fixed?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Quite odd since my usage has always agreed with Exede, al be that requiring a bit of digging the one time my husband accidentally set an on demand DAILY DTV program to record - OOPS. 

Speed is not always 25 Mbps (business plan here so never throttled, just auto buy more) but, I do see that, and a bit better at times, and above 12Mbps most of the time. Yes sometimes 3-5Mbps but, that's the nature of satellite internet - limited capacity on each beam, when it's busy, it's slower than when it isn't busy. The server you connect to also plays a big part in the speeds you see and, Exede has no control over those servers.

Even running speed tests, I could run a few right now and get ranges form 27Mbps to 1Mbps in a matter of 5 minutes or less. I know traffic load on my beam doesn't change that fast and, I know I didn't change my hardware or connection settings or means in any way, so it must be the server I'm connecting to.

Congestion is not an excuse, it's a fact, weather at your location or, at a gateway is not an excuse, it's a fact, over limit and non real time reporting are both facts. Device and computers being capable of using data unattended, without your knowledge - fact.

The truth is 90% of home computer users have at best, moderate understanding of exactly what their connected devices do and when or how they do it. Even I, knowing what uses data and when, have three autoupdaters running right now that do check at least once per day for updates, one receives push notifications and, contains a chat client as well. (game updater/launcher) They are using data, will continue to do so until I either manually end the processes in task manager, or turn my computer off. I do not need to be using my computer, or even be home or have access to my computer for those to use data.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"It's completely unplugged no power no Wi-Fi signal 150gbs in 8 days with 1 device connected to do school work on"

This makes no sense at all.  If it's unplugged then how can you have one device connected to do school work?

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

That data use is fishy.   I had a family of 7 living in my guest house for 3 weeks that didn't have internet available until I went to the 150 Freedom plan. I had it put it in for them the day they arrived. They were told to use it up and no worries.  Their use and my use combined went to my record use month of 138GB about 2 months ago.  I subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, and watch a lot of TV shows on kecktv.com and look at my usage less than once a month because it is never getting close to 150GB.

I cannot think of how a casual Internet user can use so much data except to have a huge download going to a null file and auto re-start every time it completes.
Photo of Samantha

Samantha

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
That was our first month of having the freedom plan we Netflix Hulu PlayStation all month long and my school work plus 3 tv's and 3 cell phones hooked up. We reached 85% of our usage in the very first month. Second month we did nothing different 150gb gone in 12 days same as the following month, Third month we disconnected everything and I only connected to my HP laptop when I had school work. And 150gbs gone in 12 days. The 4th month we used 150gbs in 8 days with everything unplugged the modem and still managed to use 10gbs of data.
I call customer service and when I called my modem had been unplugged. The representative told me that my modem was on and it was connected to a Windsor device and my HP. I told them that it was impossible for anything to be connected because the modem is physically unplugged from the wall!
We are in Louisiana and with no one home, a password protected Wi-Fi and my laptop is with me we are still using data. We've been for 3 days and have used 2gbs and there's no power to the house. But Exede still can't tell me where my data is going.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Samantha, send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and request a usage review, the can see when and, what device most likely used the data - they see what Operating system or application and, what the data was for, storage, browsing, audio and video.

As for using a lot of data, yes one person can use a lot in a month. I have unlimited cellular data on a table my husband uses. As a truck driver it is his only internet and, entertainment with Netflix, DirecTV to go and of course YouTube. He averages 300 GB per month and, some months as much as 500 GB used - and he drives 11 hours per day, 5 days per week so, not online all day long either.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes

If that is truly hows it's going there, exede needs to do an in-depth investigation involving a log of every connection you make and document the machine MAC numbers using what is supposed to be your connection, and show time, date, site(s) visited, data used everywhere, etc.  This will require your permission since it will be totally invasive.  It may also require you being in direct communication with exede at times to verify data is or is not currently being used at your location.  If they refuse, an excellent arbitration case awaits you, and they will pay all expenses involved.

In the U.S. ISP's must maintain connection logs by law.  A month from now exede can be served with a subpoena demanding to know who was associated with a specific IP address, and exede can and will deliver.  They can watchdog your account and maybe even figure out where the data is really going.  MAC numbers are searchable, so don't ever lie to them about your connected devices. (Just friendly advice).

A request for such an investigation should be made in writing.

An exede employee monitoring this forum should be available to guide you in the particulars of requesting and scheduling your participation in an investigation. You should make an official request for assistance by submitting an email to the self-declared corporate representatives (the moderators of this forum), for guidance in this matter to exedelistens@viasat.com.  Make the request "To whom it may concern."

(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3509 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello Samantha

I had to remove some of the commentary and change the topic as that was a violation of our forum guidelines and rules but since this has so much constructive dialog I wanted to keep this post up. For more information on our rules and why I did this, please visit this thread: https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/exede-and-wildblue-forum-policies-update

To give an employee response to your concerns I think the best route to go is to email us directly at exedelistens@viasat.com. That will get you in touch with either myself or one of my coworkers in the corporate office. By doing this we can review your account and should a rare case of data usage being incorrect come up we can investigate further. Of the many many countless cases of data reporting concerns 9 out of 10 times (not even that close) we find that the reporting is accurate nearly every time. But on those ULTRA rare occasions we have taken action to investigate the issue on our end to fix the problem. I think a big issue for this to come up so often is that the internet evolved to cater more in the direction of those with Cable or DSL. Simple websites are embedded with video, ads and flash and use FAR more data than one would expect. Same can be said about app updates (most of the time they update with little to no noticeable change but easily eats data)

If you email us what we CAN do is review the data, we can see what types of things are using up your data, how many devices are on your connection and we can see roughly when usage is the highest. If in the extremely rare case it's reporting inaccurately we'll take measures to fix it. If worst comes to worst we can even work on a exit if you're unhappy with the service if warranted.

What we WON'T be able to do is see anything beyond the current and previous month, we can't tell you what device is using the most data, what sites are pulling the most data, if any programs are running that is eating away at data and so on as that's a huge privacy concern. However some programs mentioned in this thread may give you what you want as far as detailed reporting goes. 

Looking forward to your email.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.