Does DIRECTV affect data usage?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Does the connection to direct tv without down loading movies affect usage? Over the last 24 hrs my wife and I both over 65 used 2.5 gigs. We even turned off the wifi on our computer when not in use. What to do?
Photo of Connie Jacksits

Connie Jacksits

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2260 Posts
  • 1964 Reply Likes
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
I'll second Jim16 here.  DirectTV can and likely will burn up your data in a hurry.  You do want to turn it off as Jim16 recommends.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I've had the same experience with DirecTV. What scares me is that they are advertising that you can back up to 72 hours to watch something that you missed - and YES it requires an internet connection. I've moved onto DISH and now have the Hopper3. Same issues there - t would be nice it you could setup a PIN # to be entered to OK any internet "ON DEMAND" type entertainment. I believe that a DVR tranfer to a portable device also requires internet even though the progam is recorded on your DVR. It's the wrong format and needs to be reformatted???
Photo of Tommy

Tommy

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Figured out what happened to me. Microwsoft had a huge cumulative update Which started automatically with advanced warning. I have this machine set to download updates only during the free zone time period, but went ahead anyway. Went from 2.7 to 9.2.  Haven't used the computer except for after midnight since that time. Never even turn it on unless I accidently wake in the night then only to check email.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Possibly, the following might work for you: turn off automatic updates by setting the windows automatic update service startup mode to manual in services.msc and then never start that service.  Then, you can manually download the updates when you want as shown by this thread: https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/this-might-help-in-keeping-windows-10-data-usage-under-cont...
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2243 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Hi Tommy,  Thank you for the information. This may help others figure out how their data is being used.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Connie,  

Please be cautious when using your DTV Video as it must use data from your internet to perform correctly. The On Demand content has to be downloaded first, download size largely depends if it's a SD or HD movie. If this is done during your metered hours, you'll most certainly see it consume your data.

If you want  additional information on how to reduce your data consumption, visit

http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Maximize-Your-Data
Photo of John Blount

John Blount

• 62 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Dish Network will use data and check for updates daily if connected to WiFi. I disconnected mine and it is working fine. My folks also have Dish Network and do not have internet at all and their's seems to function fine also.
Photo of Tommy

Tommy

• 4 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you all for your great advice and thoughtful comments.  Sorry it took so long to get back.