Data disappearing!!

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

We have had this service for 19 months and have NEVER went over our data limit UNTIL this month! After reciving the 5 free gigs it was gone in 6 days!! We are not doing anything different than we ever did!! What is going on here?
Photo of Callie Reynolds

Callie Reynolds

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Callie Reynolds

Callie Reynolds

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And it was actually 5 days when the extra data was gone.
Photo of Billy Hearnsberger

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Good luck getting that answer..Let me know when you figure it out...
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
It seems I'm sucking up data as well. As a test, I've unplugged the satellite modem thing inside the house intending to check data usage later this week to see what I've lost.

I suspect the satellite is doing some 'housekeeping' chores at my expense.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I've turned off the Facebook auto download feature on all my devices (computers and smart phones) and my data usage has dropped dramatically.

I've also determined by analyzing logs that GMail sucks bandwidth when it's not downloading or uploading messages. It seems that the server and client verify the connection constantly. It's a pattern of:

"Are you there?"
"Yes, I'm here! Are you still there?"
"Of course I'm still here! Are you still there?"

and so on..

My computer is on for days, sometimes weeks, at a time. I've learned to turn off the wifi when I walk away unless there's a specific reason to leave it on.

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Is there any way to stop Gmail from doing this? 
What is the best way to turn the wi fi off if
 you are going to be coming and going several times a day? 
(Edited)
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I've not tested of ways to stop GMail from checking its connection, however, I would guess that closing the browser or logging out of GMail will kill the session and stop the communication.

This constant connection checking is probably not unique to GMail. I sue it as an example of something I've seen. I suspect that many, if not most, sites that require a password login also check to see if the client is still present and this is a good thing. We just need to manage those interactions.

Regarding turning off wifi - that's as unique as the number of devices out there. With one of my laptops, I hold the 'windows' key (usually in the lower left of the keyboard) and press F2 to toggle the wifi. On another laptop there is a switch on the right side of the box. Desktops are entirely different.

If you're using Windows you can probably click the network icon in your lint tray and toggle using the 'disconnect/connect' button.

If your computer is hard wired simply pul the network cable.

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
great...thanks
Photo of Dontazz2003

Dontazz2003

• 47 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
my email on phone would check once an hr I stop went to setting. and click off notications.  went to sites like face book and click off on everything nd my use of the gb has gone way down. I am still log in but it only checks it when I open it. so turn off everything you use to not tell u when something new is happening had all my kids do the same talk about a fit but when they saw we have used it all up in 5 days they said ok. never asked for free 5 gb cause they billed me after saying they would not so I called they said it would be credit next month so I won't ask for it again. if things get bad again I might do the shutting it off at the box. oh and if your kids have a ps3 then they do the online thing to play with friends it sucks it up ALOT so I put a stop to that until I can get the freedom package this fall.
Photo of Don Ivey

Don Ivey

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also experienced the disappearance of unused data right after the monthly exchange.  What's going on??
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Callie,

Sounds like we need to check your usage categories and get that question answered right away.  I am here to help you find out where your data is being consumed.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. I look forward to assisting you.
Photo of Jeremy Mora

Jeremy Mora

• 39 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
You're not alone:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/data-usage-claims-roll-call-lets-get-a-lawyer

#ExedeListensBS - Ive had my issue escalated to the corporate office and even then had them tell me the same BS. CAN NOT WAIT to get rid of this service. Solutions = ZERO at this point. Total joke.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.