VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 1884 Reply Likes

Yep.  I wouldn't be surprised at all :)

Photo of Marika

Marika

• 127 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Well, as you can see here: http://prntscr.com/hkmta6 (full article here: https://www.exede.com/blog/status-update-viasat-2-newest-satellite/) they estimate 100+mbps speeds, so if that's true then i suppose 100mbps plans would be available. More than likely for the people on the top tier plans ofc, but I see little point in saying it can dish out more speed than they plan on offering even on top tier plans, just sounds like a good way to get people upset lol.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 1884 Reply Likes
For people what to pay an extremely high premium.  Diamond Plan?  Platinum Plan?  Have to be higher than a Gold plan :)
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 127 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
lol Platinum Plan would be 1080p and Diamond would be 4K.  Platinum costing a nice $200 a month and Diamond a whopping $300 probably xD. Gotta pay off that new satellite somehow.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 1884 Reply Likes
I would say you are not off on the prices For plans that good :)
Photo of JSheridan

JSheridan

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
It's going to depend on where you are. From what I hear there will be certain beams that will be extremely fast but unfortunately they won't cover everybody.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 1884 Reply Likes
Sounds like you got pretty good sources.
Photo of JSheridan

JSheridan

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Usually our sources are extremely reliable. :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 1884 Reply Likes
I can neither confirm or deny what your sources told you, even if I know the answer.

I just know I wasn't the source!
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2743 Posts
  • 1725 Reply Likes
I suspect that even though the ViaSat2 is capable of 100 Mbps speeds, those speeds will be reserved to the commercial airline contracts and the military contracts, with residential subscribers being offered speed around 50 Mbps or less,depending on the plans selected. 
Photo of Brandon Fisher

Brandon Fisher

• 74 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
What i'm hoping on is this not only having higher speeds but lets says 300 gb data allowance then the depriorisation  because faster speeds just would for me get me there faster..... But if my biggest wish could be answered it would be lower latency id be content with 300 ms at this point. i notice some of you have less than 600ms on your speed tests wish i could get that but mines in the 650-680 range. if there is some trick to getting it lower please let me know even if it costs money. Wish i didn't have to use my 4g connection for some things i do so i could save money.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2138 Posts
  • 1061 Reply Likes
"some of you have less than 600ms on your speed tests wish i could get that but mines in the 650-680 range. if there is some trick to getting it lower"

My guess would be it is because of geography. 

West Carol Parish is 121 feet above sea level.  Your ping times are 650-680 ms.

Livingston parish is 41 feet above sea level.  My ping time is  672-691 ms.

My guess would be, the higher your elevation the lower the ping time.

A Hillbilly living in the mountains is naturally going to have a slightly less ping time that one of us Cajuns living in Louisiana.

I could be completely wrong, but that just my guess as to why some people get better ping times.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2740 Posts
  • 1721 Reply Likes
Brandon, there will be no reduction with latency on ViaSat2. The satellite is positioned 22,500 miles above the equator the laws of physics cannot be changed, the signal travels at the speed of light, and each request from your computer makes two round trips from Earth to the satellite, thus the 600 to 800 ms latency.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2138 Posts
  • 1061 Reply Likes
He could put his dish on a really really tall pole.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2141 Posts
  • 1062 Reply Likes
For the average user, there is no noticeable difference in speed once you hit a certain number.  You really don't need more than 5 mbps per household user for internet.

Of course, start transferring huge files and thats a different story.  But most people don't do that and just browse the internet and watch Youtube.  

Regardless, there will still be people complaining that they can't get 100 mbps.  That speed will be possible, the question is, do you want to pay the premium for it?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
I need more than 5.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2141 Posts
  • 1062 Reply Likes
That's why I mentioned people that transfer huge files.  

I mentioned 5 mbps because that is exactly the amount of data Netflix uses for HD content.  

As far as web browsing goes, pages won't load any faster whether your connection is 5 mbps or 100 mbps. 

Its a lot like how people were buying 54 mbps wireless routers back in the day (late 90s, early 2000s) thinking it would let them surf the internet faster than an 11 mbps router.  Back then, the fastest internet connection anyone was selling was 3 mbps. 

It boggled my mind to hear salesmen at CompUSA telling people how much faster the internet would be with the latest wifi router.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
I need much more. Then when we have “congestion”, I’ll still have usable speeds.