Constantly losing internet service

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
It seems like lately I can’t do anything on the internet for more than 30 minutes without my internet going out. I’ve rebooted my router/modem I don’t know how many times, doesn’t help. Been with this service for 5 years and it just keeps getting worse, if there was another option I’d switch in a heartbeat. Customer service is a joke, every time I call I spend 2 hours on the phone explaining to 2-3 different people my issues, they’ll do something on their end and it’ll work great for a few days and then back to the same thing. I don’t have time to call every couple days, I’m paying for this service, why is it always so bad? Tried the texting option once, they told me I needed to call in, what’s the point of having a texting service if they can’t fix anything? Sorry for venting, but I’m really frustrated cause I pay twice as much as I’ve ever paid for internet, for a fraction of the speed, and it’s limited, it would be nice if it at least worked with some sort of regularity. Weather is great here too, no wind, clear skies, no trees even remotely close to my dish, I’m failing to understand why I can’t maintain a connection.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated and mad

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 425 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
What is your signal strength?
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is what I’m getting right now.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 217 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
What is your signal when knocked offline?
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Cable attenuation drops to 0, everything else is pretty much the same.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thinking maybe my cable. Bought a spool, just haven’t had the chance to run it out yet. Don’t think they installed a new cable when they put it in 5 years ago, just used the existing, so there’s no telling how old it is.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 292 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
If you go running your own cable, you are liable to create more problems. Cable specs, grounding specs, etc.

Sounds like you need a service call. They can verify whether the cable is good or not.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 122 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Can't you test a cable with an ohmmeter?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3069 Posts
  • 1971 Reply Likes
Corrosion at either end or at the connectors are more likely a problem. Check the cable for sharp bends or physical damage or crushing. My cable is been in service for over 11 years with no problems to date.

If you are going to install your own replacement cable, make sure it meets the Viasat specifications and is solid copper, not copper clad. Also the cable connectors must be waterproof types, installed using the proper tool.

Checking the cable with an ohmmeter will only confirm the continuity of the conductors, but not whether the cable is meeting the specs for the frequency of the signal.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 406 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t attenuation always be ZERO?
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
From my understanding, the lower the better, but if you’re at 0 you lose connection. And that’s the only thing that’s different from when I have connection and when I don’t as far as my signal readings go. Everything I’ve looked up says 6 is about the best, but it all has to do with cable length and condition. My cable is only about 60’ and I found a spot where they ran it from outside the house to the inside where the cable is pinched and the insulation is cracked and coming off.