Considering exede Freedom 150gb plan

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
If I stream 20 hrs of video/week and maybe 15 hrs of browsing, can anyone give me any estimate of how long my data will last. 25MBPS speed
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of DebG

DebG

• 29 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
According to Netflix, their medium playback setting uses up to 0.7GB of data per hour.  Their best video quality uses 3GB per hour, and Ultra HD uses 7GB per hour.  I stream Netflix at the medium setting for a few hours each day on average, and I seldom use more than half my data allowance on the Freedom 150 plan.  I don't know how many hours per week I browse online, but I know it's a lot more than 15.

I used to monitor my data use daily, but I've stopped worrying about it.  Exede sends me a warning if I hit 70% (which I did once), and that works fine for me.
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
whatever you are a patsy..We the consumer should not be monitered .we should have the choice of unlimited .so you like getting a warning?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Okay, assume HD Video, that would be 20 GB per week approximately, so 80 GB for the month. That would leave you 70 GB for web browsing, email, updates and, other online activities. Of course webpages vary in size depending on the site and, the content of the page.

If you use an ad and media blocker, like UBlock or UBlock Origin (whichever your preferred browser supports) to block videos and advertisements form loading, you should have plenty of data on the Freedom Plan for anything you want to do online.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

Forget all that... if you can get the freedom plan- you get it.  It won't be offered in your area very long and then you'll be kicking yourself for not getting it if you let it go.

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 760 Reply Likes
I've actually got a potential customer right now who is sitting on the fence about getting the Freedom 150. We keep telling her that it is NOT going to be offered forever. I know what's going to happen....she's going to wait too long, miss out, and then be ticked with ME because SHE couldn't make a decision. Oh well, too late to become a lawyer or doctor.

Andy
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have the Freedom Plan 150GB + boost, I have 1 Roku TV on during the day, 1 at night, a laptop generally on all day...I use SlingTV for streaming, mainly CNN/MSNBC, day and night, I reached the 150GB in SEVEN DAYS. There is apparently to be a "slowing", access I now have is NA DA... no emails, no TV, not much browsing.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Steve, all of that is HD video streaming so 1 GB an hour or more. VOIP also uses data unless it's Exede Voice. You need to reduce the hours of streaming, use an ad blocker like UBlock to save data. 20 hours per week is 4 hours per day and, that should be fine but, to use 150GB in a week would be about 22 hours per day of streaming, meaning you probably left something playing while you slept. That isn't wise on metered internet service.

Here are more tips to help you control data usage: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Maximize-Your-Data
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Not good that scares me .I Leave my TV on all day use my computer so im sure 150 ,will not suffice my needs as well.!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes

So you stream all day long and you wonder why 150GB is not enough.  Where do you people come from?  If you had Comcast you wouldn't make it with 350GB a month doing that. How's this:  only stream when you are actuality watching TV?  Streaming for the sake of having background noise, or looking when you think there is something interesting to see is great for direct, off-the-air TV but having a data connection to do that is foolish. Do you run your car's engine all day and then complain it used up all your gas idling in the driveway?

Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We the people of America should not be told what to do..OR how long we can watch u tube ect ect...stop the dictatorship.
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When i was visiting the middle east there were no limits why can they have no restrictions but we have them here.now who is really free!
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ps. one price for unlimited use!
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
not good...
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3056 Posts
  • 1962 Reply Likes
Pitcher Gia, satellite internet providers cannot be compared to ground based internet providers. Exede is doing the best it can, and most of us in the boonies are very happy with the service and data limits.

If you want high speed unlimited internet service at at lower price, just move to an area where ground based internet is provide, or move to the middle east, where you say internet is better.
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Look i know paid to say this.....we Americans deserve the best you are not addressing the issue of price fixing ...
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Simply put, internet service is a WANT, not a need. You either choose to purchase what is available where you want service, or you don't, or you move to where the service you want is available.

As for the price of Unlimited, quite reasonable given what is involved in delivering it to us.
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Lets put it this way, and in context, internet is a "fee for service", just like medical care, you are absolutely free to access anything you want.... as long as you are able to pay at check out....just like going to the grocery store, lots of people would like to eat prime rib every night... but reality sets in and it's just plain ol 82/20 hamburger on the plate.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2430 Posts
  • 2161 Reply Likes
That would be 102% hamburger!!
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

we have that in markets here  ;)     80/20 is good just the same.

Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
My sleep habits are not the problem Bev, as I am home 24 hours a day, 4 hours of streaming is not realistic. I imagine 1 laptop, 1 VoIP, 1 streaming TV/day, another/night, would add up to 22 hours per day.
If I could send an email today, I might get some satisfaction from customer support.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes

You want satisfaction from customer support because running your data into the ground day and night isn't working out??  Subscribe to 5 or more accounts and see how that works out.  Get a router that has multi-WAN ports that auto-switch on fail safe so you never loose a moment of data wasting.  You're a hog and you want customer service to do something about your data appetite.  Data is a commodity, measured and sold.  You want more than your connection can provide?  buy more.

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Exactly Exede is metered service, we all have had to learn to temper our usage to stay within the plan we choose or, buy more data if we need the faster speeds after we have used our monthly allotment. 22 hours or so per day streaming is NOT normal internet use. That's for people that have unlimited data form a land based provider, not for people on metered service.

With metered service, you simply can't leave the videos streaming all day for noise and, I know of no one who does nothing except watch videos all day and night. (Be that news, weather or otherwise.) I do know people who keep the TV on all day and night for "company" but, that isn't suitable for streaming on a metered data plan. That's what TV providers are for be that cable, Dish, DirecTV or another provider that provides television without using your internet data.
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That may as you say...for today.  Cable TV/Dish/Direct are on the way out. Nearly every TV available in todays market is 'smart', providing unlimited access to streaming programs. While we "hogs" may have to adjust for the time being...it will be measured data providers that see the next exit door if data caps are not expanded or done away with all together.
Photo of outlaw2u2

outlaw2u2

• 27 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I have the 150 gig plan and never been over 75 gigs, but I am outside with my cows during the day. Only use mine at night and when raining. And I have Amazon Prime
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
i to have the 150gbs plan also... but yet i am at about.... close to 50gbs this month (that was within 1 week and i know what it was i was downloading a bunchies of anime... and uploading them to my gmail account... so yeah ) so yeah i did take responsibility :3 but i still have most of my gbs though :3 and so yeah i tend to always like... stream every single day and it doesnt affect me...
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes

ummm, Deku, that is because you are aware of the data you are consuming.  You don't go to Netflix and set it up to play all day and night, and then go to bed.  As much as you are doing on the Internet, you are still being responsible and that sets you apart from the fools who blindly waste their monthly data (and then come here crying that it wasn't enough).

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
A lot of providers have data caps, Including AT&T, Cable One, CenturyLink, Cox, Xfinity and more - true unlimited data with no slow down is what is rare. Some slow your speeds, others cut you off when you hit your cap.
https://broadbandnow.com/internet-providers-with-data-caps

Yes, some are almost 10 times what the Freedom plan offers but, a lot of them are a lot less, and most are land based and not cellular.
Photo of Pitcher Gia

Pitcher Gia

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Windstream has no data caps.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
You are correct, they do not but, they are not available everywhere.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong Windstream, but I see they only have 3 towers in the San Francisco Bay area and they handle business accounts only.

Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
25 Mbps Internet

Promotions
Features
  • Up to 25 Mbps download speeds
  • 24/7 U.S.-based support
  • Option to add Shield® Security for a low monthly rate

only$54.99a month for 12 mo.

info for zip code 52031

http://orderwindstream.com/internet.php?PID=google:Windstream_Internet:Windstream_Seed_1_Hot_Spot:Wi...

(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1779 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes

Thanks for the link.  Google didn't do a very good job yesterday, showed me this: https://www.windstreambusiness.com/shop/products/ca/san-francisco