Connection Stats, Connectivity In and Out

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
Hi all - After about 14 months with Exede/Viasat, I am experiencing constant connectivity issues for the last two weeks. Prior to this, my connection was quite good, except inclement weather, which PA has unfortunately had it's fair share of since we signed up.
Anyway, within the last month or so the connectivity issues have begun to increase and finally went out for an extended period of time on a beautiful sunny day. I called for a service visit. I wasn't on Easy Care, so I agreed to pay the fee and wait the 2 business days it would take the tech to come. 
Service call day arrives and the tech is late, moves my window from 8-11 to 11-2 and he shows up around 2 pm. The tech immediately complained about the tightness of connections, from the installer, as we've never messed with them or had a service call since the install. He noted they were too tight, beyond what the company recommended. Anyway, he also said there was some moisture in our receiver (Is that the right term?), so he replaced that and our modem. Since his initial visit we have struggled with the service going in and out and it's been primarily sunny days here. About 5 days after his visit, it dropped out for good and wouldn't pick back up. I called back in and am now a very unhappy Easy Care subscriber. Two more business days and another missed service call window and he shows up again around 2 pm. He asks me to pull up the modem status page on my computer. We check some wiring and he notes the cable into the back of our new modem was loose. Again, we touched nothing after he left. He tightens that and I come back online, so he calls it a successful visit.
Within an hour of him leaving, my internet is dropping out again. Now I remember the weather man saying the wildfires in Canada would be sending smoke (way high up) through our area. We are also having humid weather, generating fog in the evenings through the morning, so I give it the benefit of the doubt and hold out until mid-morning today. Internet is still in and out, sometimes lasts 5 minutes and sometimes 1 hour. I've called in again and another 2 business days to wait to get my 3rd service call in 2 weeks. To say I am frustrated would be a giant understatement. I am here, maybe to vent to individuals who might appreciate my frustration, but also to see if any of the modem status information tells any of you anything. Is there anything I can be doing? I have, obviously, checked the cable into my modem. Plugged, unplugged, tightened and untightened. I really don't want another service call where I am made to feel like an idiot for a lose cable. Anyone have any advice?

My Modem Numbers:
FL (RX) POWER -33.0  dBm
FL (RX) SNR 5.5   dB
ODU TELEMETRY STATUSActive
CABLE RESISTANCE 2.5   Ohms
CABLE ATTENUATION 0.0  dB

I'm at wit's end with this. Like I said, we had about 14 months of what I would call adequate service, but adequate in locations that are only serviceable by satellite is still the worst internet I've ever had. It's also the most expensive, so to receive poor service on top of that............. As I mentioned, I'm now an Easy Care subscriber, so I'll not be paying more for worse. I'm not a completely helpless person, but I sure feel it now. So I welcome any advice or feedback here. Thanks in advance.

Photo of Danelle H

Danelle H

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Tell Viasat about the fact the first service call was not worth crap. The techs are 3rd party contractors and don't work for Viasat, put in a bad word for him and tell them to send someone else.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1234 Posts
  • 768 Reply Likes
Your RxSNR is on the low side, but that is what mine use to run normally.

I would say initially you had water in the tria. That's not good and was probably the initial problem. When he messed with the connectors, probably made things worse.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Which modem do you have?
What is your zipcode?

Depending on your beam, your SNR is either on low side, very low side or just fine
Photo of Danelle H

Danelle H

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Service Tech was back and said something about a compression fitting off by a small amount, that the installer must have done improperly. He didn't check it last time because it looked good. He's tightened it up and got me a higher SNR, up to 7.5 sometimes but pretty settled right now around 6.5.
He also asked me to take the surge protector out of the mix, because apparently any power fluctuations can impact the modem? I don't remember getting that advice before, but if Viasat wants to replace my modem if there is any power surge that's their prerogative. It's back on now, but it was in and out yesterday, so I'm not holding my breath.
How can I check what my SNR could be up to? My zip code is 17728. He told me he thought the 5.5 it was getting the other day was the best in my area but when he tightened that fitting and got up to 7.5 that's now the best I can get. I believe I have the old style modem? I think the newest one is that white pyramid, right?
My cable attenuation has also been changing now, does that mean anything? I've never had cause to watch these numbers before but it wasn't fluctuating as far as I could see yesterday. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1218 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
Viasat engineers could check to see if your RxSNR is in the range of neighbors with Viasat, but if you are in the 7's now I wouldn't worry about it.

What the tech was telling you with respect to the fittings makes sense.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 322 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
You have a lot of clouds over you right now, that will impact your SNR

Was that 7.5 under blue skies?

Capturing the blue sky SNR is helpful to know.

Photo of Danelle H

Danelle H

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes they were blue skies with clouds. I wouldn't consider the clouds large enough or pervasive enough to impact my service. At least not in the line of sight of my satellite. The satellite and my office window both face the same direction and we are at the top of a ridge.

It's clear right now and I am reading the following:

FL (RX) POWER -29.3  dBm
FL (RX) SNR 7.7   dB
ODU TELEMETRY STATUSActive
CABLE RESISTANCE 1.5   Ohms
CABLE ATTENUATION 0.3  dB

I've been online the rest of the day since the tech came, so as of now I am thinking whatever that compression fitting was he talked about really was the issue. I wish I knew what my "old numbers" were, from a few weeks ago before all my service issues. I wasn't tracking it then.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
Those numbers look good. It probably was a bad connector, perhaps with moisture getting in and shorting things out.  If it works now and doesn't cut out again, don't worry about the stats :)
Photo of Danelle H

Danelle H

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for taking the time to weigh in. It's still going strong, so I'm happy now....though some frustrations remains that it took 3 service calls and 2 weeks to resolve it.