connection lost when computer is restarted

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I'm sorry about the length of this.  After reading several other posts, I
was trying to make sure I included as much of the pertinent information that I could think of.

We lose our internet connection every time the computer gets shut down/restarted.  It's been going on for months.  The troubleshooter would say "windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)"  but all it took to get the connection back was unplugging our modem, waiting a few minutes, & plugging it back in.  It was annoying but a reliable fix so I didn't worry about it.  However, a couple of weeks ago that didn't fix it. I tried several times, on multiple different days without it working.  Since we had also used up our data at that point, I decided to wait until the data reset and see if it would work again.  Our data reset on Saturday the 8th.  After multiple attempts the connection came back that afternoon.  It worked fine until the computer was shut down on Sunday evening.  After that, I was only able to get a connection for a couple of minutes at a time (often less) and only a handful of times.  We FINALLY  got a reliable connection back again this morning but I know the next time the computer is shut down it will happen again.

When it's been out, I've tried multiple things in an attempt to get it back including: rebooting just the modem, rebooting/restarting the computer & modem as outlined in an article here about connectivity issues, I tried plugging the modem in to a completely different outlet after reading that suggestion on another thread, and I ran virus & malware scans.  Admittedly, I'm not very tech savvy & I'm unsure if this is a problem with the computer itself or the exede/viasat modem (or something else on their end).  However since unplugging, waiting, and plugging it back in used to work every time, I'm inclined to believe that it's a viasat problem rather than a problem with our pc.  

Other potentially pertinent information:  It's a desktop computer running Windows 10, connected to the exede/viasat modem via ethernet cable.  When it's not working the troubleshooter message is overwhelmingly the same "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)"   Though I have also occasionally seen "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration", "The default gateway is not available", "unable to identify the problem" or "a cable may be broken or not plugged in properly". If I run the troubleshooter multiple times in a row, I may get a different diagnosis each time for the first few times but it always comes back to "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource" at which point that is the only problem it will list until it's unplugged and restarted.  Also, the times it's not working, all the lights are usually solid.  Sometimes the 3rd light blinks rapidly though and from time to time the 2nd witl blink very slowly) then it goes back to them all being solid.  There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it that I can tell.   Any thoughts/input would be appreciated

Thanks for your time

Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Do you have your computer's network connection configured for Automatic IP detection? It sounds like your Ethernet device is not configured properly.
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your reply. I tried that as a potential fix it after the "unplug the modem, wait, plug back in" scenario quit being a reliably easy fix.  It didn't make a difference.  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2387 Posts
  • 465 Reply Likes
Hi K.D.  if you need further assistance,  please call customer care at 855.463.9333 for additional troubleshooting. 
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you.  I think that's probably what I will have to do.  I was curious to see if it sounded like the problem was more likely to be on Viasat's end or on my end.   I've been a customer for 9+ years (since the Wildblue days) and have never really had any trouble things.  I suppose there is a first time for everything though.  Thanks
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
It sounds like settings on your end and, it may be the old script we used to use is still set to be used. Of course it no longer exists so, that might be the problem. (Something only long time customers would remember and, might still have set up.)

If a phone call doesn't get it, with screen shots of your network settings (erasing anything that would identify you of course) we might be able to get it here. but, i suspect it is a setting on your end, best guess being that script that doesn't exist now.
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Bev, sorry I didn't get you replied to sooner.  Friday evening the computer was restarted and I didn't regain a connection until this morning.... but it did come back and will likely stay on until the computer is restarted the next time.  As I said, I'm not particularly tech savvy so pardon my ignorance but, if our problem is being caused by a script that no longer exists, why would the connection come back eventually? 

Not sure if this is relevant or not either but... We got started with Wildblue about 8 or 9 years ago and finally upgraded to Exede about two and a half years ago.  They installed a new dish & modem at the time, but used the existing cable (the black one connecting the dish to the modem) Like I said, not sure if that's relevant or not but thought it might be worth mentioning.

I haven't called yet but will. Any thoughts on whether it's better to do that when I have a connection or when I don't?  Thanks for your time.  :)

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
If you have your connection set to use a script AND have detect automatically checked in the settings, it may take it that long to decide the script is not going to work and, it will revert to automatically detecting your settings.

I may also be that your Ethernet or wifi adapter is set to sleep and, only wake when needed, so, it only attempts to connect AFTER you request a website or, the computer connects to check for updates. With it needing to log on to the router, it would take a few minutes to connect, you walk off and do something else before that happens, the adapter sleeps again, and again, it is offline when you want to be online, doesn't connect fast enough and, you give and do something else. Then come morning, you catch it while it's checking for updates or had just finished and, the adapter has not been put in sleep mode yet, so it's online.
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It wasn't set to automatically detect anything until after this became a problem.  It was an attempt at a fix, not the cause. 

I fully admit that I may be misunderstanding something but, reading your explanation of sleep mode, I don't think it's that either. It sounds like if that were the case it would go back to sleep again and we would lose connection when we aren't using it throughout the day.  But we don't have any more problems with it at all until the computer itself is shut down and restarted.

For years we had a reliable connection ANY time we sat down here and pulled up something that needed internet.  Then there were a few months that it would go away when the computer was restarted, but it only took one time of unplugging the modem and plugging it back in, at which point we would have a reliable connection ANY time we sat down here and needed to use the internet.  For the last few weeks, unplugging the modem and plugging it back in hasn't worked the first time anymore, (might not work the 20th time) but eventually it does.  And then we have a reliable connection, any time we sit down here and pull up something that needs internet. Nobody is just sitting here using the internet all day.   After I plug it back in, I run the trouble shooter.  I also check the icon on the task bar that shows if I have a connection.   Very occasionally it will tell me it's not detecting any problems, and I'll put up some webpages only to have them stop loading part way through, run the troubleshooter again and get the same ole "windows can't communicate with the device or resource"  Once it connects and stay connected... it stays connected reliably any time someone sits down here to use it.

Thank you very much for your replies.  I hope you don't think I'm trying to argue with your ideas.  I'm just trying to explain what bit I know, to the best of my ability.  A lot of computer/techy stuff goes over my head but I am a bit of a research junkie and have been trying to figure things out and learn more.  I appreciate your time.  Thanks again. 

(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
K.D., it might be a good idea for you to get a computer savvy relative, friend or neighbor to take a look at your computer's network adapter settings. These can be a bit confusing to those not really up on the techie stuff. 
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve.  Some of us are definitely better at this sort of thing than others. As a general rule, I don't mess with any of it unless I am absolutely CLEAR on what I'm doing. The next time we lose our connection, I'm going to call the customer service number.  It can't hurt to make sure it's not on their end before I get too carried away. 
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Basically it's your computer. There's a handful of things that it could be. One of the first things to look at is your network driver. The first thing I would ask is if your computer was originally Windows 7 or 8 and you upgraded to windows 10. 
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nope, we bought this one new with Windows 10 already on it.  Interestingly enough, the last time the computer was shut down, it didn't give me much trouble when restarted.  Hopefully that continues to be the trend. 
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 325 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
So yeah your pc is definitely windows 10 compatible. The next thing would be checking in on a driver update but it sounds like for now the issue is resolved.
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 33 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
If it was me the first thing I would do Is create a restore point then download the latest network adapter driver for your computer, uninstall the current network adapter driver reboot then install the one you downloaded. 

If there's no change then you can always go back with the restore point you created.

Have you tried disabling then re-enabling the current adapter to see if it then connects?

network and sharing center>change adapter settings>right click local area network>click disable>right click again>click re-enable.
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'll keep that in mind if it decides to give me more of the same kind of trouble in the future. 
Photo of K.D.

K.D.

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, I can't say it's fixed yet but it did do better the last time. Our speakers quit working and I had to restart the computer to install/update some driver for them.  After selecting "restart", as expected the internet didn't work, but it's troubleshooter said it was unable to identify the problem (something it almost never says)  Rather than unplugging the modem, I just shut down the computer for about 5 minutes and started it back up and the internet worked fine (there was a prayer thrown in there too)  I have no idea if that's how things will go next time, but it would be nice if it decided to work well again.  (Coincidentally, this was not long after I had spoken to someone on the chat feature with a related question) 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I would run any one of the various hardware diagnostics programs available. Many computer manufactures offer the tools free on their sites and, there are independent free to use tools as well.

Getting an unknown error like that may mean a fault with your wifi or Ethernet card. Using a hardware diagnostics tool will possibly identify the problem and, at the least rule out a hardware issue.