Computer Related Question

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
If a hacker has gained remote access to your computer and used it to upload videos to say a youtube channel, whose IP would they be using? Theirs or yours? 

I recently had this just happen to me. My youtube account was suspended. It's not a huge loss. Only used it for commenting and only 3 videos posted to it. But I am still working on getting my channel reinstated. When I search my username on yahoo and bing It shows thumbnails of "hacking" videos that were uploaded that were not mine. Weird thing is I never got an email about suspicious activity in my email account. Which is why I assume, it is my IP they were hijacking. Could youtube prove that do you think when they dig deeper? Don't people have anything better do with their lives? Like getting a real job and earning an honest living.   
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 139 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 329 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
All I can do is speculate
They probably merely hacked your account and not your computer.

All passwords these days should be no fewer than a mixture of 8 characters, numbers & symbols with no dictionary words in it (my personal minimum is 15) 

If you don't have a router, you should get one and change the password to the admin side

TheCatWillStrike

• 136 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Why didn't google notify me of any suspicious activity? That's why I think this was a remote attack
Photo of dorothy brennan

dorothy brennan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
want to switch to google  not msn  
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 329 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Huh?
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Are you wanting to switch the Homepage on your browser?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2159 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
want to switch to google  not msn  
That's nice. 
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 107 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
does hughes net still have there own home page I liked it
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2159 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
They do, though I don't know if it's the same as the one you know, as I've never used it.  Being what this site is, I won't link to it, but if you Google "HughesNet Homepage" you'll see it.  

TheCatWillStrike

• 136 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I like how my question has went completely off topic. Bob I think your right. When I did a virus sweep I discovered I had a keylogger virus on my computer. Basically monitoring my keystrokes. Wiped my computer clean and changed every password. As for Google not notifying me somehow I had it set to never notify me. That and no 2 step verification was enabled. Which I think should be forced.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1417 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
Keylogger can be a bad one.

I am surprised you turned off Google notification. It is set by default.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2159 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
I like how my question has went completely off topic.
You ought to expect that by now on here.  :)  

As for your issue, the whole notification thing is what was throwing me off, as I didn't know there was an option to turn that off.  For me, if I even just sign in to Google using my lesser used laptop, but on my normal internet, it sends me a notice, so that part I couldn't figure out.  

A key logger makes sense.  I didn't think you'd been hacked in the traditional sense, as, I believe, the way ViaSat assigns IPs, and the way multiple people have the same IP due to the gateway, would make it very difficult for a hacker to get into your system.  Well, not necessarily very difficult, especially for someone who's very good at it, but it would still be a specifically targeted, determined effort.  

Now you've just got to figure out where you may have picked it up, so that it doesn't happen again.  Or just be careful, anyway.