Compatible modems

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
What would be a good replacement modem? Brand? Model? I am looking to buy a new one in hopes to get my internet working good again. And no I'm not asking about a router. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of NorthMN

NorthMN

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
There are only 2 Exede modems and you cannot buy them except thru Exede or one of their dealers.
Photo of james1979

james1979

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
ViaSat uses proprietary modems for their Exede service. Your choices are a Surfbeam 2 or the newer Exede WiFi Modem: http://www.exede.com/wifi-modem/
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
You will need to get one from Exede call 855-463-9333 or email exedelistens@viasat.com. ONLY Viasat Modems will work with Exede service.

No cable modem will work, nothing you can buy in any store, you've got to have an authorized technician bring you the modem and, provision it to work so, Exede won't just mail you one, you need a service call to get a new modem.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I believe you can now self-install a replacement modem.
Photo of james1979

james1979

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Unless Exede is handing out software keys to SB2s, that seems to be confined to the WiFi modems.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3413 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Official Response
The replies above are true. This is largely due to no 3rd party manufacturer creating a satellite capable modem. DSL/Cable often has this option as there's 2-3 Third Party manufacturer creating those modems but realistically there's a good market for it. While We are VERY happy with our 600K or so subscribers and hughesnet has a similar number that's still probably less subscribers than one would find in a metropolitan area with DSL or Cable so it's a drop in the bucket in comparison. That's most likely why there hasn't been that option yet. As of now our modems are only encoded to work with our Exede service only so that's why we only offer a lease option. The good news is since you have a leased device we can replace it for you!!
Photo of NorthMN

NorthMN

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you all for the replies. I do appreciate it. I had a feeling that the modem would have to come from Exede. I hoped to buy my own and save some money, and get my internet working again. Sad thing is the replacement modem and service call costs more than the early termination fee. I shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars to have Exedes equipment fixed. All customer service wanted to do is argue when I finally did get to talk to someone. I have been going rounds with this for over 2 months. I think it's time to get out.
Photo of james1979

james1979

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I don't understand why you think that your modem is faulty, but Exede has replaced modems even when they were not contractually obligated to do so. (They don't want to lose a subscriber. You are currently genuinely valuable to ViaSat.)

Also, you can add on the Exede Easy Care service for $6 / month : http://www.exede.com/exede-easycare/ It does not legally cover existing problems, but it worked for me. If you can get a CSR to say that it will cover a possible existing problem over the recorded phone conversation, then you have covered up the fine print.
(Edited)
Photo of NorthMN

NorthMN

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I used to have above advertised speeds. I loved this internet and praised it accordingly. I had an occasional modem reset which solved any problem I had, but the last 2 months or so I've had to reboot the modem a lot. It's not a data issue as I'm on the freedom plan and never get close to 150gigs. I really believe that my modem overheated. I posted a while ago about the heat issue and got some ideas of using a fan to keep it cool, which I've done. But I think it's too late, the modem is dying. I've tried calling customer service and all they do is argue about the heat issue. I've emailed them and haven't had a response. I'm very disappointed in Exede and their customer service.
Photo of james1979

james1979

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am also on the Freedom plan and sometimes can't download 150 GB / month, but a modem swap didn't quite fix my problems.

You are sort of testing a new modem, so it could be the cause of your problems, but we're having problems with our Surfbeam2's as well.

I suggest reading the two recent topics that I created here https://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-Questions-Problems-and-Troubleshooting and being either patient or else discreetly private.
Photo of NorthMN

NorthMN

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This forum and its people-champions are a great help. I know there have been a lot of "trolls" that want to complain for whatever reason. I have a genuine problem and can't get Exede to help. They don't seem to care. I am getting extremely frustrated with this situation! I'm seriously considering breaking the contract.
(Edited)
Photo of NorthMN

NorthMN

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I do have the Exede wifi modem. And thank you brad for the explanation. What you said makes sense.
Photo of artlight

artlight

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had reasonably good service with Exede until they replaced our modem last year. Then I could no longer get reception in my studio which is approx 40 feet from the modem. I was without service in that location and it took 2 MONTHS for Exede to send a service technician. The technician was unable to fix the problem, tried to explain it away by saying that "Exede's modems don't work with Apple products," also suggested that a wifi booster of a particular type would solve the problem (it didn't), and so on. Exede also made US locate a CSR to help us! We are in an area without a CSR and so they gave us a list of about 15 people to all. All but one CSR said our area was "too far for them to travel" until, finally, one guy said he would service us. But his visit did us no good at all. I am still without service in my studio, have had to move my entire graphic design business to my dining room table. Also, another line of defense Exede tried was to tell me that when the new satellite was launched, the problem would be resolved. Well, they said that would be in Feb. Then they said it would be in April. And then, it was launched and nothing changed!

So, Exede representatives basically lie to their customers to get them to hang on, knowing we have no viable options except Hughesnet which is no better.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Launching a satellite is not a simple matter of a rocket taking it into orbit, then, it's online for service to us. The rocket just gets it into AN ORBIT, not the right orbit. The satellite itself has to maneuver itself into the correct geostationary orbit. They don't move fast, so that takes time. Once it gets there, it has to power up all of it's systems needed to provide service, then, Viasat has to test everything to be sure it works properly and, is exactly where it needs to be. Finally the satellite will be ready to come online for us. The process takes several months. Viasat- 2 should be ready to come online early next year, assuming all goes well between now and then.
Photo of artlight

artlight

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And so why did Exede tell us, in February, and again in June, that the "new satellite" would solve our problems THEN!? Just wondering.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
They have always said "WHEN" Viasat 2 is working - it isn't working yet. Back in February, a launch with SpaceX was scheduled. Right before the satellite launch, SpaceX had their heavy lift rocket blow up, so Viasat had to go with Arianne Space for a later launch.

That launch went off without a hitch and, Viasat-2 is in the process of getting into it's final orbit as I type.

Had it launched in February, as originally planned, it would likely have been online by June or July of this year, it didn't, so now estimated online date is Early 2018.

You can't blame Viasat for a SpaceX rocket blowing up - just be glad it was the one before the scheduled launch and, it didn't blow up the new satellite.
Photo of artlight

artlight

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for this very clear information and explanation, Bev Campion. I can't blame Viasat for the SpaceX ticket blowing up, but I can absolutely make clear that Exede has not been clear with its customers about what to expect and when to expect it. They've not given us any explanations at all, just postponement after postponement while having interfered with excellent service we used to have and charging us much more money for much, much less. Yes, I can blame Exede for that. They've proven themselves very lame in the customer service department over and over and over again.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3059 Posts
  • 1962 Reply Likes
artlite, Exede Alex has been posting the updates to ViaSat 2's progress and expected commissioning times in posts on this forum for quite some time. Exede has not been "hiding" this information.

See these links:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/our-new-satellite-has-spread-its-solar-wings

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/viasat-2-satellite-update-new-satellite-is-on-its-way